Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,521 members, 7,823,251 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

The Principal Interest Of The Igbos In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Principal Interest Of The Igbos In Lagos (1080 Views)

Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland / What Is The Principal Interest Of The Igbos In Lagos? / Nigerians Blast Oba Akiolu Over Threat To Igbos In Lagos - See Tweets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Principal Interest Of The Igbos In Lagos by hajimosho(m): 10:31pm On Apr 07, 2015
‪#‎ TruthBeTold‬- Battle For Lagos

Onyebuchi Ememanka writes ~

What is the principal interest of the Igbos in Lagos? What do we seek to achieve in our sojourn here? My take is simple. We seek a prosperous Lagos that is economically viable, peaceful....a mini Nigeria of sorts where all people are able to live and pursue their livelihood without let or hinderance.
As a people that thrive on commerce, Igbos want a Lagos where there are government policies that promote the growth of commerce and business.
A Lagos where government builds roads, bridges, hospitals and is generally alive to their duties.
Education is free in Lagos and our children enjoy this.
No Igbo child has been sent away from any public school in Lagos. Lagos state government pays WAEC and NECO fees for all students in Lagos....our children enjoy this too.
What do we really want in Lagos? The truth is that we are strangers here. Lagos belongs to some people, just like Onitsha and Aba. Let's not carry on as if this place is a no man's land. It is not!
All of a sudden, Jimi Agbaje has become an Igboman....we have adopted him as our son.....the same way we adopted
President Jonathan in the last election against our strategic interest as a people...a decision that has left us in serious political confusion and our senators begging to be admitted into the APC.
What is the difference between Jimi Agbaje and Akinwumi Ambode? Is any of them Igbo? What is our problem? I believe that we have a fair share here. We live in peace unlike our people in the North. I don't think there are more Igbos in Lagos than there are in Kano, yet we live peacefully here.
Yorubas are highly politically sophisticated people and they understand that it is better for them to have a government in Lagos that belongs to the same party as the party at the centre. Igbos cannot love Lagos more than Yorubas. This is their land. If anything happens here now, we will all leave and return home. These people own here...this is their home and we must respect their feelings. Every person living in Lagos wants more federal presence in Lagos. We want a 4th mainland bridge, we want so many other things that the federal government can do.
In the years past, Lagos hasn't enjoyed much federal intervention because of political party differences. Now they have that chance and we want to spoil it for them by being more catholic than the pope.
Let everybody vote any candidate he wants but I reject any collective Igbo move to vote against the strategic interests of the people who own the land where we live and make our living. Lagos has been good to our people. We have succeeded here in business and the professions.
Let's not disrespect the people of Lagos. I will not support any move that will create an impression that Igbos are against the interest of the owners of Lagos. Nobody has murdered our people here like what we
see in the north. Lagos remains the only state in this country where Igbos hold top government positions.
Even our neighbors and brothers, Rivers State have never given us that privilege despite our huge population and presence there.
As for me, I want Lagos to progress and on Saturday, I will proudly vote for
Akinwumi Ambode.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Principal Interest Of The Igbos In Lagos by theV0ice: 10:40pm On Apr 07, 2015
very thoughtful

the truth is that all we've seen are release of pent-up emotions and after they all subside like an agitated boiling pot of palm oil, we all will be able to see clearly that we are not enemies......at all. APC and PDP are jostling for the control of lagos and no one should be allowed to tribalize it....not Oba Akiolu, Not Jimi Agbaje, Not PDP and not Ifeanyi Ubah.

The seed for the opposition that freed Nigerians from the stranglehold of the PDP was sown in Lagos. Lagos survived the attack and neglect of the PDP-led FG. Now is the time for lagos to reap the fruits of it's 16 years battle for attention from the FG and some think it should be sacrificed on the altar of one of the most evil tribalistic campaigns of recent memory?? NO NO NO

After all said and done, Jimi is Yoruba and Ambode too is Yoruba. Igbos just like every other ethnic group in Lagos are there to better their lot.....not to attempt to colonize a 'new territory'. Pat Utomi is simply after the growth of his LBS, not to make his son a crown prince of the Lagos throne. Cosmas Maduka couldn't careless who the Oba of lagos is as long as the right atmosphere for the continued prosperity of the Coscharis group isn't allowed to be fouled.

Igbo leaders were together with Oba Akinolu when he said all he said. I've listened to their replies and all i can get are adults who knew and understood the context he was speaking in and even laughed at it. Except we all agree that they were !diots who couldn't think or cowards who have no spine but i trust none of us would be right to describe them like that. But even at that, i believe Oba Akinolu should have been more circumspect. I believe this saga has taught the Oba and us all a lot of new lessons.

Vote for your candidate on April 11th with the continued prosperity, peace and tranquility of Lagos in mind.

God bless Onyebuchi Emamanka wherever he is.

2 Likes

Re: The Principal Interest Of The Igbos In Lagos by jaysniggs: 10:49pm On Apr 07, 2015
Op you're just one out of like every 500 Igbos in Lagos.
The average Igbo man belives Lagos is still no man's land.

4 Likes

Re: The Principal Interest Of The Igbos In Lagos by ukukaegbu(m): 11:04pm On Apr 07, 2015
I was in doubt as per where the writer was coming from until I read the last sentence.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Principal Interest Of The Igbos In Lagos by thunderrider: 11:26pm On Apr 07, 2015
When are we going to wake up from the no mans land dream land ?
Re: The Principal Interest Of The Igbos In Lagos by specco(m): 11:55pm On Apr 07, 2015
The Igbos want fair treatment. All the Igbo dominated areas of Lagos cry for attention in terms infrastructural development. It will interest you to know that all the inner roads in OKota for example are not passable, not one is tarred and residents suffer this gullies everyday for sixteen years and still counting, ditto for Ajao estate Mafoluku, Aguda, Ojo areas and other places where the Igbos inhabit in large numbers. These people need to feel the presence of government. OKota inner roads are simply terrible. This is wickedness! So you don't blame them when they start to gravitate towards a man they feel wii alleviate their sufferings. That's their Principal interest!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Principal Interest Of The Igbos In Lagos by ROCKJ1(m): 12:30am On Apr 08, 2015
Saturday is not far away... Lagos also needs change.... and change shall it be... the igbos will pull a wild turn out and vote massively for opposition.

1 Like

Re: The Principal Interest Of The Igbos In Lagos by lolababe331e: 12:32am On Apr 08, 2015
Igbo trade leaders with Ambode today

Re: The Principal Interest Of The Igbos In Lagos by Freelancer00(m): 12:43am On Apr 08, 2015
ROCKJ1:
Saturday is not far away... Lagos also needs change.... and change shall it be... the igbos will pull a wild turn out and vote massively for opposition.
Lol. Same thing u said March 28. Where did that get you?

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Ambode Of APC Wins Governorship Race BY SAHARAREPORTERS / Celebration Every Where In Abakaliki, Ebonyi State / Inconclusive Election : Alex Otti Bribe Tears INEC Apart ---CNN, INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.