Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,423 members, 7,812,243 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:37 AM

How To Make Your PC Shutdown Automatically On Power Cut - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Make Your PC Shutdown Automatically On Power Cut (1370 Views)

10 Tips On How To Protect Your PC (windows) From Hackers & Viruses / How To Enable Hibernate Mode Feature On Windows 8/8.1 Shutdown Options / Ssolution For MTN Modem That Disconnects Automatically (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Make Your PC Shutdown Automatically On Power Cut by ITbomb(m): 11:14pm On Apr 08, 2015
This is a Do It Yourself (DIY) procedure to make your Windows PC to shut down automatically whenever there is power cut in order to preserve your battery. You don’t need to install any software. The advantage this method has over other PC Power Down Scheduling software is that they do not know when there is power cut and you need to shutdown. This will help keep your battery healthy.

For detailed procedure and screenshots, Click Here

The method is essentially about making your OS ‘think’ that your battery is dying and it needs to shutdown. (preferably Windows 7 and below)

1. Locate the Power icon by the bottom right corner of your desktop and click on it to show the status.

2. Click on “More Power Options” and it will open the Control Panel Power Options and Create a Power Plan

3. Enter your new plan name and click “NEXT”.

4. Click on Create

5. This will take you back to “Number 2 here” ie the Control Panel Power Options where the newly created power plan “Sleep Time” is automatically selected and activated.

6. Click on “Change plan settings” in blue font. Then “Change advanced power settings”.

7. Go down through the items to where you see “Battery” and click on the plus sign (+) beside it to open up other options under it.
[img]http://2.bp..com/-SaEQiDFkOtI/VSWjiwr-csI/AAAAAAAAAG4/fDc6tkUmu2Q/s1600/pe6.png[/img]
a. First Option, “Critical battery action”, change from “Do nothing” to “Shutdown” on battery.
b. Second Option, “Low battery level”, type in “95%” in the space provided.
c. Third Option, “Critical battery level”, type in 90% in the space provided.
d. Fourth Option, “Low battery notification”, leave it at “On”.
e. Fifth Option, “Low battery option”, leave it at “Do nothing”.
f. Sixth Option, “Reserve battery level”, Leave it at default “7%”, (it is pretty useless now).
h. Click “Apply” and “OK” and that is it.

This procedure can also be adapted for use when you want your PC to be always on during downloads, as unattended downloads can be interrupted by the system when it goes into sleep automatically after no activity for some time. I use it with IDM and schedule IDM to shutdown system after downloads but if there is power cut, my power plan keeps my battery healthy.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Your PC Shutdown Automatically On Power Cut by fromnigeria(m): 11:44pm On Apr 08, 2015
Thank you!!
whats the disadvantage on PC battery? Just thinking
Re: How To Make Your PC Shutdown Automatically On Power Cut by henribj(m): 1:20am On Apr 09, 2015
nice
Re: How To Make Your PC Shutdown Automatically On Power Cut by ITbomb(m): 8:14am On Apr 09, 2015
fromnigeria:
Thank you!!
whats the disadvantage on PC battery? Just thinking
Sorry I don't understand your question
Re: How To Make Your PC Shutdown Automatically On Power Cut by fromnigeria(m): 8:28am On Apr 09, 2015
ITbomb:

Sorry I don't understand your question
isn't there any way this system could affect the PC battery?
Re: How To Make Your PC Shutdown Automatically On Power Cut by ITbomb(m): 8:35am On Apr 09, 2015
fromnigeria:

isn't there any way this system could affect the PC battery?
Absolutely none, when you are back and you restart your laptop, you just switch back the power plan to "balanced" and continue using your laptop
Re: How To Make Your PC Shutdown Automatically On Power Cut by fromnigeria(m): 11:58am On Apr 09, 2015
ITbomb:

Absolutely none, when you are back and you restart your laptop, you just switch back the power plan to "balanced" and continue using your laptop

i agree thanks

(1) (Reply)

Uk Arrival!hp 250 G3 Intel Pentium N3540 4gb 500gb 15.6" Windows 8.1 64-bit ~35k / HELP - Acquiring A Skill In Computer/laptop Repairs (onitsha, Nkpor Etc) Anambra / Repaired my HDD but my media files can't open, help!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.