Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,401 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

Why We Need To Go Back To The Roots - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why We Need To Go Back To The Roots (918 Views)

Finding Nigerian Roots / Re:: All Blacks In America Have African Roots? / Ibo Granmoun : The Roots Of Haitian Democracy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why We Need To Go Back To The Roots by charismaticdave(m): 3:37pm On Apr 09, 2015
WHY WE NEED TO GO BACK TO THE ROOTS
In a modern Nigerian setting, a typical Nigerian Youth does not even trust his/her own shadow. But once upon a time, this was not so, during the days of our forefathers, they put their wares outside and places stones to denote the amount the wares was sold. Anyone that wants to buy the wares puts the equivalent amount under the wares and walks away with his/her goods without the physical presence of the seller.
According to research conducted by the University of Florida, a group of 5 monkeys were introduced into a room, in the room was a ladder, on the ladder were bunch of banana and a pot of hot water. Anytime any of the monkeys attempts to climb the ladder to eat the said banana, the hot water pours on the monkey, the monkeys took turns until all of them have tasted the pain of the water. So anytime any monkey wants to climb the ladder, the remaining 4 monkeys gang up and give the errant monkey the beating of its life. So every week a new monkey is introduced and when the new monkey attempts to climb the ladder, it also receives the beating of its life. After five weeks, all monkeys have been replaced. By this time the water has become cold, but because it has become the statuesque, any monkey that attempts to climb the ladder is always given the beating of its life.
That’s how we all have become, we have been rerouted by our environment that Nigeria Society is decaying, that the values of the homes are eroding, that there is no longer integrity in the society, we have believed this and we have started working with this in our psyche.
In a personal example, am an MTN data reseller and when I started, people I met online, people I chatted with, were all scared about doing business with me, they always say something to me which I can still remember vividly, ’Hope you won’t run away with my money o’. I always tell them to trust me and they say that people are not to be trusted. That’s how we have become, that how bad it has become. But I always try my best to allay their fears by always sending them their data within the five minutes in other to prove my integrity to them. Now the story has changed, they can send me money and even wait till the next day because I have always proved my worth to them.
So we need to start believing in ourselves, only then can we believe in one another. Let us raise as one and become what we really want to become and stop the decay that has eroded our dignity.

Re: Why We Need To Go Back To The Roots by Blakjewelry(m): 3:46pm On Apr 09, 2015
Nice writeup bro... There is a lot to be change about the perception of many Nigerians this recent election has thought me alot about Nigeria. To be very sincere, I feel sad for this country.

(1) (Reply)

LYRICS: Patoranking – Another Level / Igbo:here's Why There Is A Possibility That This Tribe Is From Israel / No More Aso Oke Except:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.