Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,466 members, 7,819,703 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch (6935 Views)

''I Have No Hand In Your Expulsion'' - Atiku Replies Akiolu / The Day Oil Was Discovered In Nigeria: We Clapped Like Fools / Alleged Anti-Igbo Comment: What Oba Akiolu Really Said — Palace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by akomst: 12:12am On Apr 10, 2015
A lawyer, Atueyi Chukwudi Felix, has revealed why he and other Igbo people who were at the palace of Oba of Lagos, Oba Rilwan Akiolu, laughed and clapped when he threatened and cursed Igbo if they did not vote for the All Progressives Congress governorship candidate, Akinwunmi Ambode. Felix said Akiolu was only joking and speaking with them as friends, adding that friends were always free with one another. He alleged that the person who did the video the event and made it public had a political motive. The motive, he said, was to curry favour for the Peoples Democratic Party. Felix noted
that he felt it was expedient for him to speak up before things get out of hand.
He said: “I strongly suspect that all this is being portrayed in this manner simply to curry votes for the Saturday’s coming election, which is already at hand.”
He stated that the ongoing saga might compel some people, who had hitherto been indifferent to their civic
duty, to go out of anger and vote against the Oba’s advice, just to dare him.
He said: “What the Oba said was fully and simply directed to only the Igbos present at the meeting who His Majesty considered to be very close to him and should understand
him well enough.
“When one talks to his very close friends, he tends to be very free with them. “He was being very free with those present at the meeting and wanted us to realize how serious and close he takes us and our votes because he could not imagine us giving him our words only to turn
back and do the very opposite.”
Felix stressed that Akiolu did not force them to the meeting. According to him:
“We were the ones that went to him on solidarity visit, so it would be very evil of us to only go and deceive him there. “He only jokingly
warned the people present at the meeting who he considered his own people.”
The lawyer argued that if close attention was paid to the video, which went viral, Nigerians would discover that there was no specific point he referred to ‘all the Igbos in
Lagos.’ He said that it was because they were close friends to Akiolu and understood him quite well that those of them present at the occasion applauded and laughed at the end of his speech.
“We were expected to thereafter talk to our people in civilized manner to convince them and canvass for their votes if we truly
believe we are capable of doing so,” said Felix.
“The tradition of lagoon water threat was directed only to those present there at the meeting, jokingly as culture demands.
Although he appeared serious, but we all understood it as a joke, that was why we all applauded him and made fun of it there.”
Felix said that he was shocked at the twist the play took after the video went viral, stressing that he suspected
serious politics at play. He said he wouldn’t know who recorded the speech and decided to play politics with it, but “it’s most unfair to his
majesty to be portrayed in this manner.”

Source : www.newspunch.org/what-actually-happened-at-akiolus-palace-why-we-clapped-laughed-igbo-leader-reveals-the-untold/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by RoyalBlak007: 12:13am On Apr 10, 2015
incase
Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by Controlled(f): 12:15am On Apr 10, 2015
everybodi knows d Oba was only joking with his friends...but PDP use religion..tribe..everything to divide us... grin

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by Firefire(m): 12:18am On Apr 10, 2015
Noted.
Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by Jwonder4eva: 12:25am On Apr 10, 2015
Mtcheew! Story For The God's

11 Likes

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by Inkman(m): 12:25am On Apr 10, 2015
i taya ooo

www. newspunch.org what-actually- happened-at-akiolus-palace-why-we-clapped-laughed-
igbo-leader-reveals-the-untold/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by AgentMS: 12:25am On Apr 10, 2015
Lobatan.

We told them that this must be the case, the useless and emotional ones among them are quick to act with a rush of blood to the brain, beating their chest for the fun of it and vituperating for nothing, issuing lame ultimatum and threatening to call down fire and brimstone that will never come.

The reaction is a reminder and typical of the rush to war in 1966 with machete and cassava sticks, without making provision for how to feed their population.

See your lives.

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by Mortiple(m): 12:27am On Apr 10, 2015
Bros why you dey lie! undecided

If indeed he was joking, his joke surely deserves an award of MOST EXPENSIVE JOKE by a monarch.

13 Likes

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by calebbintus: 12:29am On Apr 10, 2015
PDP yhu see ur life?

10 Likes

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by lolababe331e: 12:31am On Apr 10, 2015
I knew that was what happened, PDP just tried to use it to get Igbo votes since they know they can easily be swayed by emotions

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by Ngasky(m): 12:34am On Apr 10, 2015
Firefire are you going soft?
Sanity is returning to NIGERIA

7 Likes

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by tpiadotcom: 12:41am On Apr 10, 2015
as long as they all understood each other?

1 Like

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by AgentMS: 12:43am On Apr 10, 2015
MOD -- OAM4J, Afam4eva,

Front page things. This must get to front page too.

2 Likes

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by theV0ice: 12:53am On Apr 10, 2015
this is serious?? why did the guy keep quiet all this while??

He allowed the whole thing to degenerate to this dangerous level of ethnic hatred?? the guy didn't try at all but then....better late than never

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/oba-akiolu-addressed-us-his-igbo-friends/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by barackodam: 1:24am On Apr 10, 2015
PDP no get sense......they are going to be the worst opposition party ever.

Same way the use.less VeePee went to North and started spreading Bigotry.

all because of power.

like I always say, whoever will win Lagos will win, and if Ambode wins, he need prove to those guys that Lagos is "someone's land" afterall, even if be if for 365 days.

5 Likes

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by shaqhead: 1:25am On Apr 10, 2015
Mortiple:
Bros why you dey lie! undecided

If indeed he was joking, his joke surely deserves an award of MOST EXPENSIVE JOKE by a monarch.
Y do u think he is lying?

How does a joke meant for a select few become an expensive one..

I guess u gorged on d slimy and divisive vomit of d folks who wanted to gain cheap political mileage frm a banter between friends and u cant stomach d fact that someone has decided to come clean and put d narrative in its true perspective.

So I expect this whole brouhaha over nothing to be put to rest by this clarification.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by Nobody: 1:26am On Apr 10, 2015
i just pity the dude that video the Oba as his life will b at risk now.

2 Likes

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by lanrefront1(m): 1:27am On Apr 10, 2015
I think I can relate to what the man is saying.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by fflamingo(m): 2:14am On Apr 10, 2015
I relate with what the man said. Even we guys we call our closer friend Mãd man, weree, fool, idiõts how is your fúcking life, didirin agba(elder fool), within our cliq, we never call strangers like that. Its clearly politicized and I feel pity for the recorders, because he did not only toy with politics but he toyed with the gods of the land for the evil he beseech to the king of lagos.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by Nobody: 2:18am On Apr 10, 2015
Power is no more with PDP,dey dont Cate what about the country

1 Like

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by Nobody: 2:24am On Apr 10, 2015
I knew it that the Oba is too civilised to issue such threat to people..

We should all come together in unity to avoid being used as a pawn by the desperado politicians,who want to use religion,and ethnic line to divide us..

Either you are Igbo,Yoruba,or Hausa,we are Nigeria by citizen first.

7 Likes

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by VickJames(m): 3:46am On Apr 10, 2015
Too late for that.

A wise man once said: Its better for a man to do stupid things than to say them because you can cover your stupid acts with words but you can never cover your stupid words with acts.

7 Likes

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by Arysexy(m): 3:52am On Apr 10, 2015
Poor attempt at damage control. Oba joking?

1. He was sitting down initially only to stand up in fury and started blabbing.

2. He swore in d name of God Almighty. Allah and u call that joke even his facial expression proves otherwise.

3. Immediately after laying his curse upon his household, He angrily gave out d microphone and Went back to his seat. Is that How u crack joke?

U think We are in law Court lieing lawyer

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by tpiadotcom: 3:53am On Apr 10, 2015
StainlessH:
i just pity the dude that video the Oba as his life will b at risk now.

its weird though how they first released the written report, then the audio, and finally the video.

seems very scripted.

5 Likes

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by Nobody: 4:46am On Apr 10, 2015
Arysexy:
Poor attempt at damage control. Obama joking?

2. He swore in d name of God Almighty. Allah and u call that joke even his facial expression proves otherwise.

3. Immediately after laying his curse upon his household, He angrily gave out d microphone and Went back to his seat. Is that How u crack joke?

So for what possible reason could the ibos who were also at the palace be laughing. undecided

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by adeoladrg(m): 5:12am On Apr 10, 2015
But can people be this senseless sha? He was playing with them? Is that the tone of someone who is playing?

Lol this election has stolen some brains away. Oba probably went to pay this guy to say this. Emphasis on 'probably'. And even if he says it, should you believe it?

The video is on YouTube. The person recording that video was in their front. The person wasn't invisible. This same person put the camera on their faces. There's no excuse here please. I'm not a PDP supporter, but don't blame PDP. Blame the Oba!

9 Likes

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by stanech: 5:26am On Apr 10, 2015
so whom do we believe now? and why did it take this long for him to respond.
and why would a traditional ruler not learn to remain neutral as a father to all

1 Like

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by Nobody: 5:45am On Apr 10, 2015
then you people are not just friends but ass lickers. I m sure he calls you guys monkeys and fools regularly...

eg Barr. Fool cmon come to my palace now or I ll throw you inside the lagoon

2 Likes

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by geedeex2(m): 5:46am On Apr 10, 2015
Agbaje can tell the igbos anything to get their votes,some sensible igbos will choose to vote for posterity sake and not based on the threat of the oba. One thing I want them to have at the back of their mind as they go out to vote is
1)has the APC led Lagos government ever discriminate against the igbos or any tribe for that matter?
2)most of the market which igbos dominate has never experience unjust or sentimental closure. Even when the igbos forment trouble at the yaba market sometime ago,the Lagos state government still didn't get rid of the market instead it pushed them inside a bit.
3)which state in Nigeria has given the igbos and other tribes the enabling ground to continue to thrive like Lagos?
4)If Lagos had been anti igbos will they have the audaciousness to even express their views not to talk off going out to make their choice in the election? Why not try that in borno or any northern state.
My conclusion is, if the igbos allow themselves be used in this election the way they were used during the presidential polls,they will be the one to suffer for it and here is the reason. Both agbaje and Ambode are our sons, and they will be accountable to us who are the son of the soil.if agbaje comes out ad the preferred choice of the people, the igbos will get Nothing from his government and if after the hate and sentiments ambode emerges Let the igbos be ready to dance to the music. For me as a true son of the soil I prefer ambode to agbaje not because ambode is better but because I trust Tinubu. Call him thief and or blacklist him, he is still the number one politician in Nigeria currently. He gave us BRF, he delivered and now he is giving us ambode who has worked with fashola all the while before he resigned.
MY VOTE IS FOR AMBODE.... I WILL VOTE APC.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by Nobody: 5:53am On Apr 10, 2015
Gud
Re: What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch by Volksfuhrer(m): 6:01am On Apr 10, 2015
Arysexy:
Poor attempt at damage control. Obama joking?

You don't know the Monarch. A friend of his who was at the meeting has thrown more light on the circumstance under which Oba Akiolu spoke.

Instead of you to reflect, and reevaluate your earlier conclusion about the matter in the light of new evidence, you stuck to your hate! SMH at you.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nairalander Now Commissioner In Sw. / COMMENCEMENT OF NUPENG-PENGASSAN INDEFINITE STRIKE FROM MONDAY 15TH DEC. 2014!!! / N392bn Debt: FG To Focus On Priority Projects, Says Fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.