Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,385 members, 7,853,707 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 10:10 PM

Buhari’s Emergence: Another Chapter Of A False Dawn? By: Orimoloye, - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari’s Emergence: Another Chapter Of A False Dawn? By: Orimoloye, (545 Views)

Shekau Reacts To Al-Barnawi's Emergence As Boko Haram Leader / PDP Leaders Who May Retire From Politics Following Buhari’s Emergence / Buhari's Emergence As President-elect On The Front Page Of Foreign Newspapers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari’s Emergence: Another Chapter Of A False Dawn? By: Orimoloye, by OGBENIIFE: 8:14am On Apr 10, 2015
PREAMBLE
Sequel to all that has been said about the incoming administration to be headed by Gen. Buhari (rtd), my anxiety about the incoming administration became heightened when the general was said to have stated that Nigerians should not expect a miracle, I think that is with regards to extent of the supposed decadence on ground. Of course that was a pointer to the fact that the septuagenarian-cum-retired general also got wind of the fact that much is being expected of him. That is not my point of argument, rather, my concern lies in the speculation that the incoming administration will perform better than previous administrations, but I will quickly add that it shall be definitely not more than the expectation of Nigerians. Given the time frame, I am of the opinion that Buhari’s performance might not be able to quench the thirst of Nigerians especially with respect to the bulk of expectations awaiting his official arrival into office.

MY CENTRAL ARGUMENT/CLARIFICATION/JUSTIFICATION
Brethren, by the expiration of Buhari’s tenure, don’t expect him to be seen as an achiever by the Nigerian populace, even if there are accomplishments he could boast of. And although there are short-comings with respect to the 'leadership institution' in Nigeria, I shall still be compelled to no longer subscribe to the school of thought that the problem of leadership is our major challenge in Nigeria, for the fact that of all the successive administrations that we have witnessed ever since the liberation of the country from foreign dictate, none has been able to satisfy the yearning of Nigerians, practically, none has been able to score above average in terms of performance (Although that statement does not intend to disapprove of the previous administrations) and so, why should we anticipate miracle at this time, bearing in mind that these leaders are sauces drawn from the same pot. Of a truth, the mistakes made by few of the leaders of previous administrations might have been that they surrounded themselves with followers of no good intent and that led to an outright failure. But if we (the followers) have checked the leaders and have found them to be culpable, one way or the other, then the followers also needs to be assessed because it is out of the abundance of those followers that the leaders were produced, in fact the followers could be said to have given birth to those leaders. That invariably means that something is wrong somewhere with even the followers!

Whether my assertion is considered as true or not, we must not forget in a hurry the fact that amidst the followers lies individuals who have been opportune to hold position(s) of authority (no matter how small it may be) in their sections or domain and have resulted to total abuse of that position.
It might be more devastating to note that amidst the followers lies lecturers in institutions of learning who will always complain about the people at the top with a no less difference of a treatment being meted to the students under him. Considering all of these, do you all think that the dividends of democracy or life impacting efforts (if there's any) can ever reach the grassroot?

CONCLUSION
On a conclusive note, I prefer to remain indifferent to expectations with respect to the president-elect, and I have my reasons. Permit me to say quite apologetically that even if Gen. Buhari is the saviour (as acclaimed by some quarters), he might still end up as one of those many leaders in the past, except the followers that makes up the total citizenship of the country decides to embrace the virtue of wholesomeness in terms of individual changes as to honesty, transparency, accountability, patriotism and fairness, which can itself serve as a benchmark for emerging administrations. Attitudinal change is the key, Change cannot just be anticipated without self-assessment, self-consciousness and self-discipline with respect to honesty and patriotism. It is only then that we can have amidst us leaders in future that will serve with a sincerity of purpose and succeed the ones who have almost wrecked the ship of this country, else, it is from the same pot that we shall continue to produce leaders, with our dream for competent leaders in this country becoming a mirage, and an unfolding stillbirth.

ORIMOLOYE, Ifeoluwa is the national public relations officer of the National Association of Akure Students.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Emergence: Another Chapter Of A False Dawn? By: Orimoloye, by holatin(m): 8:16am On Apr 10, 2015
the problem I have with this thread is the topic and the below

administration to be headed by Gen. Buhari (rtd), my
major fears about the incoming administration became
heightened when the general was said to have stated
that Nigerians should not expect a miracle,

Re: Buhari’s Emergence: Another Chapter Of A False Dawn? By: Orimoloye, by Acekidc4(m): 8:17am On Apr 10, 2015
Na you know that one oh Mister Man!!
Re: Buhari’s Emergence: Another Chapter Of A False Dawn? By: Orimoloye, by macpetrus(m): 8:21am On Apr 10, 2015
Huh...
Re: Buhari’s Emergence: Another Chapter Of A False Dawn? By: Orimoloye, by georjay(m): 8:29am On Apr 10, 2015
Nawa oh....peson neva start work u don dey forecast...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Kaduna Election Monitoring Thread / #lagosdecides: The Game Is Not Over — Jimi Agbaje / Wike Nyesom Won In Rivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.