Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,396 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:23 PM

Ten Ways To Write Better Poetry - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Ten Ways To Write Better Poetry (462 Views)

12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story / If You Were Asked To Write A Book About Your Life, What Would The Title Be? / How To Write A Letter To Apply For Loan In Your Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ten Ways To Write Better Poetry by vcume(f): 1:13pm On Apr 10, 2015
I have encountered people who confide in me that it is difficult to write poetry. My response to such people over the years has always been that there are ways to write good poetry. Most often than not people think you just write from the top of your head but there are ways if you want to improve.Be Consistent In Writing. Practice writing poetry all the time. To be better at anything requires you doing it regularly. Practice makes perfect.
Critique What Others Have Written. There are people out there who have written good poetry , take a close look at what they have written, the form, the style, what makes for good reading for them? What comes to mind as you read what they have written?
Devote More Time. Experience has shown me that good poems can be written at a sitting but better poetry written time and time again.
Explore Different Types Of Rhyme. When you identify what the style of your poetry is try as much as possible to take a good look at other techniques and explore them.
Writing Resources. Use resources available to you, for example a thesaurus to help you with the words.
Read More. Read to get inspired and to also acquaint yourself with what type of poetry you want to experiment with or write.
Read Aloud. Always recite what you have written out loud to see if there is a free flow.
Listen to Critics. Let others critique what you have written. Both the good, the bad and the ugly make you a better poet

Gather Experience. Vast experience in other areas of your life as a person helps to influence what you write. I like to write spiritual poems and a lot of times what I write comes to me as I sit in church and hear the sermon. A lot of my titles come as I listen to others.
Choose A Form Or Free style. If you know free style is not your thing stick to a particular form.

Read More>>http://projectlikeminds.com/10-ways-to-write-better-poetry/

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Isbn Number Is Urgently Needed / Oga Bigi Boy / Three Genres To Notice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.