Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,878 members, 7,821,054 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:33 AM

Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? (1671 Views)

Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? / Happenings In Eko Hospital Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way Lagos / Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Apr 10, 2015
This piece is a hard one for me to write, hard and very difficult. As I write this, I
am filled with deep sorrow for what could have been that was not. This piece is
not intended to do anything but to warn unsuspecting members of the public. A
warning that is necessary at this time because “evil deeds thrive when good
men do nothing”
My discourse is centred on the level of mismanagement, inefficiency and a total
lack of respect for life exhibited by management and staff of EKO Hospital on
Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Ikeja.
My friend’s wife, Dolapo, a young mother of 2 boys , with a promising banking
career, pregnant with the 3rd child had complained of leg pains to her husband
on Tuesday, March 31, 2015. Her husband took her to the EKO Hospital for
treatment (their registered HMO provider), they were told that the leg pains
were normal for pregnant women at her stage and were subsequently given
some paracetamol tablets to use.
Getting home, the pains did not subside, in fact, it grew worse. It got to a point
that she could not walk with the legs on her own. The husband had no choice
but to return to the hospital on Friday April 3, 2015 at around 3pm when it was
obvious things were not getting better. At that point, The doctor on duty
advised them to wait for the consultant and Dolapo was made to sit out the
‘’wait’’ in a wheelchair as her legs could no longer support and carry her, in any
case the consultant did not show up until Saturday afternoon being 04/04/1.
She repeatedly beckoned on the staff on duty to perform a CS and safely get
the baby out as she could sense and feel that something was ominously wrong.
The pregnancy was well into 8 months. Some scan were recommended and the
person to conduct the scan had reportedly closed for the day and only surfaced
at about 9pm on Friday and the wait dragged well into the night
Dolapo was in pains on the wheel chair, she was being moved from her ward to
the scanning room when the head of the baby came out on the wheel chair, her
husband screamed and rushed her quickly into the elevator, yes, ELEVATOR!!.
The baby could not stand the trauma, he came out in transit, right there in the
elevator. A nurse had to hold the baby’s head, supporting it while the elevator
goes to labour theatre, the baby was pulled out before they could make it to the
theatre. This was at 9.30pm on Friday. The baby became the centre of
attention for the hospital staff of Duty while neglecting Dolapo all alone for more
than 1 hr 30 mins while they attended to the baby to revive him.
She was left unattended to, in pains, right there in the theatre. She was
eventually moved back to her ward . The consultant eventually turned up
around 4pm on Saturday. The husband engaged him and he requested that
some tests be done to ascertain what level of treatment or care to give. He was
told she (the wife) would be fine and the test results would be ready by
Tuesday because of the holidays.
On Sunday, April 5, 2015, at about 8am in the morning, I visited her in the
hospital and sat beside her on the bed offering words of encouragements. She
was still in pains, and she was hardly audible, she could only answer in nods
and made attempts at a faint smile to reassure myself and her husband that
she would be fine.
It came as a rude shock when I called the husband at about 12 pm and he was
crying profusely, saying Dolapo is lying down lifeless and that I should please
pray. I was to say the least devastated, I was asking loads and loads of
questions and he kept saying please pray, pray.
I got to the hospital to meet the lifeless body on the bed, she was dead! What
happened? How did this happen? Nobody could offer any explanation. There
was no doctor around, I asked the nurse on duty and she just said she is dead.
I recalled she was eating when I left earlier, how could she have gone from
eating to being dead in less than 3 hrs?
The husband told me she was given an injection to suppress the pains on her
leg and immediately started gasping for breath, oxygen tanks were brought in to
revive her but it was too late. She was gone before anything could be done.
The body was left in the room for more than 24 hours, several prayer sessions
were held to bring her back to life. In the more than 24 hrs period after her
death, no doctor from EKO Hospital came out to say this was what happened.
No personnel came around to ask people to leave the room, the body was not
covered nor washed. It was simply business as usual for them.
It was normal for someone to give birth and die? The Medical Director of the
hospital did not deem it fit to offer explanation or even try to prevail on the
family to leave the body so that necessary medical procedures could be done.
I will leave my readers to ask questions from this write up, perhaps, I am being
too expectant, maybe too optimistic about my expectations from a Hospital as
reputable as EKO Hospital!
The family has accepted their fate and decided to move on…. But should we
move on? Should we just accept this as normal? I was talking to a friend in my
office yesterday and was shocked when he informed me that his wife also died
in this same EKO Hospital some 6 years back and the same treatment was
meted out on him!
Please pass this story around, let people know what is going on, don’t stop
until it gets to the right quarters where something could be done to save others
and for the doctors and hospitals to be more responsive to their duties of
saving lives and not taking lives. Dolapo is gone but who knows who will be
next?

Dolapo's husbands friend shared this

Lalasticlala, ishilove please do the needfull
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Apr 10, 2015
Dolapo

Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by bookiee(f): 3:56pm On Apr 10, 2015
I cant believe this!
Rest in peace Dolapo
What about the baby?
God will console her hobby
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by Hawx(m): 3:58pm On Apr 10, 2015
R.I.P Dolapo!
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by Holywizard: 4:03pm On Apr 10, 2015
sum1 just poisoned her!
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Apr 10, 2015
RIP to the dead
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Apr 10, 2015
Hmmmmm, EKO hospital has a reputation for bad health management. However, if u were a named person with tons of cash to pay directly, you would get good service from them. My sister has to change to another hospital after she experienced their service for the first time. May God bring in the much desired change to all faceats of our lives in the country.

RIP to the dead and may God give the family and loved ones of Dolapo the fortitude to bear the loss. She was a pretty woman.
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by Montaque(m): 4:44pm On Apr 10, 2015
Holywizard:
sum1 just poisoned her!
See your mindset!
Where did you read anything that suggest she's been poisoned? Poison is now a household name for any strange sickness n death,leaving out the obvious medical answers.
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by Lisaflex(f): 12:45am On Apr 11, 2015
B4 i say anytn, may d soul of d departed RIP.

I'm not tryn 2 defend d hospital or anytn ,buh i fnk its wrong 2 jump 2 conclusion after jes listening 2 one side of a story.

Most patients n their relatives neva tell d whole story, dey jes tell d part dt will garner sympathy n leave d rest out (mostly d impnt stuff).

I'm not sure n i wasn't der wen evryfn happened buh i read 4rm smwer dt d lady in question had cancer.. According 2 d person who claimed 2 be a frnd of d family,She was told abt a lump in her breast in 2012,d lump was rmvd in dt same hospital..Histology l8r shwd d lump 2 be malignant n ds info was made available to d patient. She was asked 2 cm for radiotherapy n possible rmval of d affected breast 2 prevent spread of d cancer cells buh she refused. She got Preggy, had her child in dt same hospital after wc dey still pleaded wt her 2 cm for radiotherapy buh she refused...Consequently, d cancer cells had spread 2 various parts of her body including her spine wc made her unable 2 walk(hence d wheel chair) + d rest of d story u already knw...We all knw cancer is a terminal dx n not much cld hv been done for her(considering d stage of d dx)...D hospital staff may hv been negligent buh if der's any truth 2 d cancer story, u wld agree dt it is not jes d negligence of d medical personnel dt lead to her demise... Der r scenarios wer a patient is told he/she has cancer n shld cm for treatment buh d patient will say stuff like "its not my portion", walks away n d next tym u see d patient is wen d disease is in its terminal stage n d doctors will be expected 2 perform a miracle.

I wonder y the person who wrote dt story comfortably left out d cancer part (ie if it is true o).

Wt dt being said, may God grant her family d fortitude 2 bear d loss...

1 Like

Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by Nobody: 9:09am On Apr 11, 2015
First of all, we do not have a working health insurance in this country. All the crap we do in the name of health insurance is obviously not working.
There's a kind of health care you can't receive when you go to Eko on NHIS.
That said, I also read that the first problem is managerial. Someone needs to attend to that.

A metastatic breast cancer in a pregnant woman doesn't sound right.
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by angelTI(f): 9:49am On Apr 11, 2015
So sad

RIP Dolapo. May God console your husband and family members
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by tunesoft(m): 8:11pm On Apr 11, 2015
2015/04/11
Re: Public Interest in Mrs. Dolapo Adesanya

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Maryland, Lagos April 11, 2015 - The management’s attention has been drawn to a one-sided social media narration of the unfortunate and tragic loss of 36 years old Mrs. Dolapo Adesanya after child birth while under the care of EKO Hospital on Sunday, April 05, 2015.

In addressing the misinformation contained in an expectedly emotion laden though vitriolic missive by a “good samaritan” over what is truly a sad and tragic outcome of an event, the hospital will consistently respect the ethical patient-doctor privileges even as it acknowledges the deep sense of loss being felt by the family, friends, colleagues and indeed her husband and parents.

Given the public interest in the matter however, it is important to be aware of these facts:
Every loss of life is regrettable and death is occasionally inevitable in a hospital, EKO hospital will continue to dedicate itself to the highest level of healthcare service which allows it to treat from the simplest to some of the most complicated cases for almost forty (40) years. It also uses all in its capacity to avoid preventable fatal outcomes.
The late Mrs. Adesanya became our patient from October 2011 and delivered one previous pregnancy successfully without any incident in a hospital where thousands of babies have been delivered in the last two years with mortality rate way below half of the National average despite being a tertiary referral center.
The late Mrs. Adesanya booked late for antenatal care at 26weeks.
The antenatal period was uneventful until she was admitted into the labour ward at 36 weeks gestation complaining of backache and lower abdominal pain resulting in her difficulty in walking. Clinical evaluation was performed. Certain investigations including abdominal ultrasound was performed and she ruptured her water during the latter. She was taken to the labour room where she was delivered of a premature baby.
She delivered the current baby prematurely at 36 weeks in a position that she found most comfortable in the labour room and the baby was resuscitated and is now in a stable condition in the special care baby unit.The administration of care and counseling to the late Mrs. Adesanya is well documented. Appropriate modalities of care were discussed with and offered Mrs. Adesanya at every stage.
The immediate post delivery period was satisfactory and she was transferred to the post-natal ward in a stable condition. Her condition remained stable for 34 hours after delivery.
On the faithful day she suddenly developed a cough, became breathless and collapsed and all efforts to resuscitate her proved unsuccessful. A clinical diagnosis of pulmonary embolism was made. Pulmonary embolism sometimes occurs in people with predisposing factors e.g. post-surgery and post deliveries etc without warning.
Further insight/confirmation into the cause of death and other predisposing factors would have been revealed by post mortem examination which the family refused, and we had to respect.
The hospital did not abandon the corpse but gave room to the request by the family members to exercise their faith and belief in the efficacy of prayers in the post mortem period which lasted 24hours; this was also equally respected.
The hospital participated in a meeting on Friday, 10th of April 2015 with the HMO and her employers.

The Hospital wants to state categorically that there has been no compromise to patient safety in this case, which is always the top priority. We appreciate that sudden unexpected death in whatever form can be traumatic and can lead to sometimes inappropriate actions from those affected understandably.

The hospital respects and asks that the public allow the family to grieve in this trying time. During this time, the hospital will continue to do its best to minimize the trauma for the family.

We thank patrons and concerned members of the public who called in for the support offered both the family and the hospital.

Our heartfelt condolence goes to the husband and family of Mrs. Adesanya
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by tchiwinnie: 9:58pm On Apr 11, 2015
Hhhmm, d post above is entirely diff frm d OP's report. I wonder if its d same patient.
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by Chinum: 12:25am On Apr 12, 2015
So who was the cancer patient?

If that report is really from the hospital, then I guess they just giving medicine after death and dicefrost's story must be true. There's an Igbo adage dat say's "if everyone is pointing in a particular direction, then sth is surely happening there."

So, management pls look into this lackadastical attitude of your staff towards your patients as complained by others to avoid future occurrences. Then it might not just be on nairaland but on national tv.
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by rushaway: 1:55am On Apr 17, 2015
@Lisaflex........

You are right that the patient is diagnose of cancer and all you have said in your post is true sequel to this issue. Someone ask while the said cancer is not mention, but do remember due to the law that guide the patient privacy the hospital will never mention such information here on forum or even on their website. Therefore, most of you made comment with ignorance because you don't know terms and condition under medical......But from a very reliable source said the patient had cancer and she been stubborn, hoping on God and prayers according to her.

@ moreeni......

May the almighty Allah forgive you for your comment, saying EKO hospital has a reputation for bad health management. I am saying this because i am one of the eko hospitals patient under HMO (NPA) and so far and ever since i had been having the best of medical attention.
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by Lisaflex(f): 10:17am On Apr 17, 2015
rushaway:

@Lisaflex........

You are right that the patient is diagnose of cancer and all you have said in your post is true sequel to this issue. Someone ask while the said cancer is not mention, but do remember due to the law that guide the patient privacy the hospital will never mention such information here on forum or even on their website. Therefore, most of you made comment with ignorance because you don't know terms and condition under medical......But from a very reliable source said the patient had cancer and she been stubborn, hoping on God and prayers according to her.
I understand d confidentiality dt should exist b/w a patient n a dr....My question" y wasn't cancer mentioned in d write up?" wasn't directed at d hospital mgt bt at d sympathizer of d px dt sent out d viral msg sayn d hospital (EKO) is a death trap
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by Nobody: 10:37am On Apr 17, 2015
RIP to her..
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Apr 17, 2015
I can NEVER recommend Eko Hospital to ANYBODY...not even my enemy. I advised a friend not to go there, she insisted, saying she alrrady registered there with her company's HMO (Oil Company).

Well after she saw heaven's gate and back, during childbirth...she finally regretted her decision. Imagine someone in labour, apart from already being mishandled by incompetent doctors and nurses, having to wait longgg before the consultant to perform the CD came...cos the baby was stuck.

Same goes for another person I know. That hospital gives govt hospital patient care, while charging ridiculous private hospital rates. Mschewwwww. The hospital is living on past glory.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Say Goodbye To Your Fibroids, Infertility & Eye Cataracts Today! / Recommend A Pharmacy To Buy Clearblue Digital Ovulation Test Kit / Meet The Boy Slowly Turning Into STONE (graphic Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.