Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,813 members, 7,817,359 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

"Ewa Agoyin". - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / "Ewa Agoyin". (2194 Views)

How To Eat Ewa Agoyin With Agege Bread / Recipe:how To Cook Nigerian Ewa Agoyin. / How To Cook Ewa Adalu: Corn And Beans; I Bet Some People Can Relate With This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Ewa Agoyin". by akamzjane(f): 4:21am On Apr 11, 2015
I really miss this food ever since I left lagos I haven't eaten ewa agoyin the way I do.Yes! It takes time but the taste is worth it. Ewa Agoyin simply means plain boiled beans eaten with a pepper sauce.

Ingredients
Beans (Brown/Black eyed): 2 cigar cups
Red Palm Oil: about 5 cooking spoons
Plum Tomatoes: 5 big ones
Crayfish (a handful)
Onions – 1 big bulb
Pepper & Salt to taste
Seasoning – 2 Maggi/Knorr cubes

Before you cook Ewa Agoyin
Soak the beans in cold water for 5 hours. Boil the beans for 5 minutes and discard the water. Rinse the beans in cold water and set aside. This soaking and pre-cooking process will help reduce the gas inducing elements. For more on that visit: How to Reduce Beans Bloating.
Chop the onions, grind the crayfish and pound the pepper.
Blend the tomatoes and boil the tomato puree till all the water has dried from it.
Pre-cook the diced onions without any added water. The aim is to get it to caramelize a bit so that it will take less time to fully caramelize during frying.
Cooking Directions

Cook the beans till done. For Ewa Agoyin, the beans needs to be very soft.
Note: If you have a pressure cooker, beans is one of the staple foods you will want to use it for. It considerably reduces the cooking time.
When the beans is done, add salt, leave to dry up all the water and set aside.
To cook the Agoyin, pour the palm oil into a separate dry pot. Allow to heat up till the oil starts smoking and the red colour changes to clear. It is better to do this at medium heat so that the oil does not get too hot too quickly. Remember to turn off your smoke alarm before doing this. smiley

To keep the smoke to a minimum and still have the traditional taste of Ewa Agoyin, I use vegetable oil and when it is very hot, I add a small amount of palm oil.now add the precooked onions and stir continuously till the onions is fully caramelized. It should be very dark in colour.
Add the parboiled tomato puree and stir continuously till you cannot tell the difference between the tomatoes and onions.
Add the pepper, crayfish, stock cubes and salt to taste. You can also add a little water at this point if your want.
Stir very well and bring to the boil. The Ewa Agoyin is ready!
Serve by dishing the beans into a plate and scooping some Agoyin stew on it. Ewa Agoyin can be eaten on its own, with soft and stretchy bread (known as Ewa ati Bread) or with fried plantains.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Ewa Agoyin". by ovaRAYted(m): 4:27am On Apr 11, 2015
akamzjane:
The ewa Agoyin is ready!
Serve by dishing the beans into a plate and scooping some Agoyin stew on it. Ewa Agoyin can be eaten on its own, with soft and stretchy bread (known as Ewa ati Bread) or with fried plantains.

this part got me cheesy

1 Like

Re: "Ewa Agoyin". by Youngsage: 5:28am On Apr 11, 2015
hmmm... nice! Pictures!!!

1 Like

Re: "Ewa Agoyin". by phintohlar(f): 7:42am On Apr 11, 2015
Youngsage:
hmmm... nice! Pictures!!!
but I didn't see any picture here nah

3 Likes

Re: "Ewa Agoyin". by phintohlar(f): 7:44am On Apr 11, 2015
akamzjane:
I really miss this food ever since I left lagos I haven't eaten ewa agoyin the way I do.Yes! It takes time but the taste is worth it. Ewa Agoyin simply means plain boiled beans eaten with a pepper sauce.

Ingredients
Beans (Brown/Black eyed): 2 cigar cups
Red Palm Oil: about 5 cooking spoons
Plum Tomatoes: 5 big ones
Crayfish (a handful)
Onions – 1 big bulb
Pepper & Salt to taste
Seasoning – 2 Maggi/Knorr cubes

Before you cook Ewa Agoyin
Soak the beans in cold water for 5 hours. Boil the beans for 5 minutes and discard the water. Rinse the beans in cold water and set aside. This soaking and pre-cooking process will help reduce the gas inducing elements. For more on that visit: How to Reduce Beans Bloating.
Chop the onions, grind the crayfish and pound the pepper.
Blend the tomatoes and boil the tomato puree till all the water has dried from it.
Pre-cook the diced onions without any added water. The aim is to get it to caramelize a bit so that it will take less time to fully caramelize during frying.
Cooking Directions

Cook the beans till done. For Ewa Agoyin, the beans needs to be very soft.
Note: If you have a pressure cooker, beans is one of the staple foods you will want to use it for. It considerably reduces the cooking time.
When the beans is done, add salt, leave to dry up all the water and set aside.
To cook the Agoyin, pour the palm oil into a separate dry pot. Allow to heat up till the oil starts smoking and the red colour changes to clear. It is better to do this at medium heat so that the oil does not get too hot too quickly. Remember to turn off your smoke alarm before doing this. smiley

To keep the smoke to a minimum and still have the traditional taste of Ewa Agoyin, I use vegetable oil and when it is very hot, I add a small amount of palm oil.now add the precooked onions and stir continuously till the onions is fully caramelized. It should be very dark in colour.
Add the parboiled tomato puree and stir continuously till you cannot tell the difference between the tomatoes and onions.
Add the pepper, crayfish, stock cubes and salt to taste. You can also add a little water at this point if your want.
Stir very well and bring to the boil. The Ewa Agoyin is ready!

wat type of pepper pls,dry one as in (ata gungun) or fresh one as in (robo)?
Re: "Ewa Agoyin". by akamzjane(f): 11:16am On Apr 11, 2015
Atagungun ooo. You can also add "black pepper ( Ghana pepper)
Re: "Ewa Agoyin". by ovaRAYted(m): 11:24am On Apr 11, 2015
ehmm aunty Jane.. smiley

seems your into food, I love food oh. overr!!! grin

mk we draw contract noni cheesy

1 Like

Re: "Ewa Agoyin". by Youngsage: 11:42am On Apr 11, 2015
phintohlar:
but I didn't see any picture here nah
Lol I was asking to see pictures! I never said pictures were there o
Re: "Ewa Agoyin". by dasparrow: 4:39pm On Apr 11, 2015
Youngsage:

Here are pictures of Ewa Agoyin:

Re: "Ewa Agoyin". by Nobody: 4:55pm On Apr 11, 2015
going to make this , i luv beans

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Ewa Agoyin". by phintohlar(f): 10:12pm On Apr 11, 2015
Youngsage:

but u said nice picture nah
Re: "Ewa Agoyin". by Godmother(f): 10:55pm On Apr 11, 2015
dasparrow:

Here are pictures of Ewa Agoyin:

This is not ewa agoyinjoor. This is just beans and stew, especially the first pix
Re: "Ewa Agoyin". by akamzjane(f): 11:26pm On Apr 11, 2015
That's it

Re: "Ewa Agoyin". by Youngsage: 12:12am On Apr 12, 2015
phintohlar:
but u said nice picture nah

Now don't misquote me. Maybe you need to scroll up again and read exactly what I said, slooowly. And pay close attention to the punctuation marks I used as well.
Re: "Ewa Agoyin". by phintohlar(f): 10:00am On Apr 12, 2015
Youngsage:

Now don't misquote me. Maybe you need to scroll up again and read exactly what I said, slooowly. And pay close attention to the punctuation marks I used as well.
yes sir
Re: "Ewa Agoyin". by Sweetyie(f): 10:42am On Apr 12, 2015
i luv ewa agoyin and agege bread. oh mine, so sumptuous. back then in my secondary days, see long line just to buy agoyin beans
Re: "Ewa Agoyin". by imsuboi(m): 8:49am On Apr 13, 2015
cheesy grin pretty jane is going places
Re: "Ewa Agoyin". by akamzjane(f): 10:22pm On Apr 13, 2015
Hehehehe Obinna

(1) (Reply)

I Made My Best Jollof Rice With Onga / Which Of These Drinks Is Your Favourite / A Nutritionist Advised That We Eat Meat/fish First Before The Food. How Correct Is This Habit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.