Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,750 members, 7,820,587 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

Pollution from Toxic Gas Fumes Spreading in Lagos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Pollution from Toxic Gas Fumes Spreading in Lagos (2225 Views)

Pollution But Imposing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pollution from Toxic Gas Fumes Spreading in Lagos by whizkid(f): 2:53pm On Oct 12, 2005
Lagos has witnessed another explosion but this time it isn't a BOMB explosion but a GAS explosion!

People residing on the mainland i.e Ikeja, oregun Oshodi and environs are not finding it funny with the discomfort of having to breath in gas fumes. I heard children are even falling sick ( vomitting, fatigue etc) from inhaling the fumes. I also learnt that the fume is spreading real fast as people on the Island ie Victoria Island and Ikoyi, claim that their environment has become hazy.

I am at work right now, so I do not have the facts as to what caused the explosion and where it actually occured or  the damages that it has caused.  Does any one have answers?
Re: Pollution from Toxic Gas Fumes Spreading in Lagos by Seun(m): 3:12pm On Oct 12, 2005
[s]I'm concerned about this, because I know that while people people ought to leave the area of the fumes, they might stay and suffer/die to to ignorance or inertia. Something like this happened in India and killed thousands of people in the area. I hope that the fumes are not poisonous enough to kill, and that there's no stampede.[/s]
Re: Pollution from Toxic Gas Fumes Spreading in Lagos by fabian(f): 5:22pm On Oct 12, 2005
I heard about it this afternoon, my colleague at work was called to pick up her children from school in Gbagada...................
May God deliver us!
P.S
What was the cause
Re: Pollution from Toxic Gas Fumes Spreading in Lagos by Seun(m): 6:06pm On Oct 12, 2005
I just called someone who works at Oba Akran Avenue, Ikeja and in his office are busy at work and haven't even heard about this issue. So hopefully it's nothing much and maybe the dense smoke as described by whizkid's acquaintance is only in a small area. It may be smoke from a factory or something.
Re: Pollution from Toxic Gas Fumes Spreading in Lagos by Ka: 8:01pm On Oct 12, 2005
Here's some more news from the BBC on the fumes.
Re: Pollution from Toxic Gas Fumes Spreading in Lagos by layi(m): 12:52am On Oct 13, 2005
I heard about it too but its gone down now. I just called a friend in gbagada. Though still fuming but not as serious as it was in d morning.
Re: Pollution from Toxic Gas Fumes Spreading in Lagos by whizkid(f): 7:56am On Oct 13, 2005
It was on the STV news at 7! The fumes they said came from a NNPC pipeline rupture somewhere in Ogun state. People were covering their noses with handkerchiefs( gas mask improvised). I gathered from the early morning news of today that the NNPC has refused to take responsibility for this mayhem, saying that "none of their pipelines is ruptured". Governor Tinubu has asked that public and private schools around that area should be closed and workers complaining of respiratory pains should be allowed to go home. I wonder how this will help since where these people reside is also affected by the fumes. I hope in some years from now, we do not start seeing the implications of this health hazard.
Re: Pollution from Toxic Gas Fumes Spreading in Lagos by Seun(m): 8:32am On Oct 13, 2005
If it's gas from a vandalized NNPC pipeline as some people have suggested then the only real danger might be the possibility of an explosion near the source of the fumes. But the fumes are from a factory, it may be something to be concerned about and air samples in affected areas should be taken for lab analysis.

I'm glad to hear that it's getting better. Happy ending! smiley
Re: Pollution from Toxic Gas Fumes Spreading in Lagos by fabian(f): 10:08am On Oct 13, 2005
Happy Ending then, for once. Yay!
Re: Pollution from Toxic Gas Fumes Spreading in Lagos by whizkid(f): 7:52am On Oct 14, 2005
UPDATE

The explosion has been traced to un- detonated bombs in the Ikeja Military cantonment. People residing in that vicinity said they heard some explosions Tuesday night and began to perceive the fumes from the detonated bombs the following morning.

It is about time the military did something about these un-detonated bombs, we wouldn't want a repeat of the Ikeja bomb blast where so many lives were lost.
Re: Pollution from Toxic Gas Fumes Spreading in Lagos by mamba(m): 8:04pm On Oct 14, 2005
so it was a bomb and not petroleum?
well, the fumes affected my lungs and i'm thinking bout suing the Govt for negligence..
Do y'all think i stand a chance of winning?
Re: Pollution from Toxic Gas Fumes Spreading in Lagos by Seun(m): 8:26pm On Oct 14, 2005
No, you don't stand a chance. You've been watching too many hollywood movies!
Re: Pollution from Toxic Gas Fumes Spreading in Lagos by layi(m): 8:30pm On Oct 14, 2005
U have already lost before 'hearing' at all.
Re: Pollution from Toxic Gas Fumes Spreading in Lagos by Seun(m): 9:58pm On Oct 14, 2005
But government scientists who analyzed the fumes determined they resulted from the build up of emissions from factories and old cars, Lagos state spokesman Kehinde Bamgbetan said.

"The climate became a little bit colder, so it enabled the polluted air to develop into a smog," Bamgbetan said.

No one died from the smog, he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051014/ap_on_re_af/nigeria_smog_1
Re: Pollution from Toxic Gas Fumes Spreading in Lagos by bioye(m): 8:21pm On Nov 16, 2005
Well, guys, guess what.

I stay in magodo phase I in lagos. that's after iseri near omole phase II. And since that first day that the fumes appeared, i have had the same experience almost everyday.

I wish I had a digital camera or camera phone. In the mornings around 6.30am to 7 am, the visibility is low, and every now and then, there is this pungent smell.

I am always wondering what the effects of these fumes are. What I suspect is the pple behing this thing have reduced the scale and do it in the night so most people rarely notice. And I guess they ain't far from my area.

You need to be in my area to know that this aint no accumulation of car exhausts....
Re: Pollution from Toxic Gas Fumes Spreading in Lagos by LoverBwoy(m): 3:21am On Aug 19, 2006
why are all the stated source in this thread foreign ? wink
so Sad one has to watch BBC to know whats happening in abeokuta

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Maximum Amount Of Cash Allowed To Travel Out Of Nigeria / wHAT NEXT ?Justification For The Purpose And Conditions Of The Intended Stay / Nigeria Has The Best Looking Passport In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.