Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,167 members, 7,860,183 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:28 AM

The Truth About Yoruba Obas And Their Involvement In Politics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Truth About Yoruba Obas And Their Involvement In Politics (513 Views)

Yoruba Obas Squatting To Snap With Buhari (Photo) / GEJ Wasn't Cursed But Blessed By Yoruba Obas (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth About Yoruba Obas And Their Involvement In Politics by barnaby04(m): 7:17pm On Apr 12, 2015
Inasmuch as i dont want to be drawn into the statement of the Oba of
Lagos on Igbos residing in Lagos to support his annointed candidate,
Akinwunmi Ambode.

Alot had been said on the issue, but i like to make a clarification to those that argued heavily that the Oba has no business in politics as a traditional ruler.

Since time immemorial,
prominent Yoruba Obas have always been involved in politics, Since the first republic when Nigeria practiced Parliamentary system of
government, Obas have usually been involved in local politics.

Prominent educated and well exposed Yoruba Obas were appointed into the Executive and Legislative arms of the Western Regional Government.

Notable among those are the late Oba Sir Olateru Olagbegi, the Olowo of Owo, who was appointed a Minister without portfolio in the cabinet of Sir Obafemi Awolowo and also a leading member of the House of chiefs.

Even in the second republic, the late Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Iyiola Matanmi, served as Commissioner without portfolio under the
government of the late Bola Ige.

Having said all these, i believed the Oba of Lagos did not act contrary to what his predecessors had done in the past by playing active roles in the political situation of their domains.

Whoever has a contrary view to this should please go back to
read the history of the Western Nigeria Region properly

Yours truly,

MAOB.
Re: The Truth About Yoruba Obas And Their Involvement In Politics by Nobody: 7:33pm On Apr 12, 2015
lets leave d yeeeebos alone Jawe 4 peace to reign. they wont die in any Lagoon

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Yoruba Obas And Their Involvement In Politics by chatterly: 7:36pm On Apr 12, 2015
You forgot to add that the first Governor of the western Region was Sir Adesoji Aderemi the late ooni of Ife who was a great supporter of the AG.

barnaby04:
Inasmuch as i dont want to be drawn into the statement of the Oba of
Lagos on Igbos residing in Lagos to support his annointed candidate,
Akinwunmi Ambode.

Alot had been said on the issue, but i like to make a clarification to those that argued heavily that the Oba has no business in politics as a traditional ruler.

Since time immemorial,
prominent Yoruba Obas have always been involved in politics, Since the first republic when Nigeria practiced Parliamentary system of
government, Obas have usually been involved in local politics.

Prominent educated and well exposed Yoruba Obas were appointed into the Executive and Legislative arms of the Western Regional Government.

Notable among those are the late Oba Sir Olateru Olagbegi, the Olowo of Owo, who was appointed a Minister without portfolio in the cabinet of Sir Obafemi Awolowo and also a leading member of the House of chiefs.

Even in the second republic, the late Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Iyiola Matanmi, served as Commissioner without portfolio under the
government of the late Bola Ige.

Having said all these, i believed the Oba of Lagos did not act contrary to what his predecessors had done in the past by playing active roles in the political situation of their domains.

Whoever has a contrary view to this should please go back to
read the history of the Western Nigeria Region properly

Yours truly,

MAOB.
Re: The Truth About Yoruba Obas And Their Involvement In Politics by Nuezha(m): 7:38pm On Apr 12, 2015
At least he didn't rescind his statement. For that he has not desecrated his office as a Yoruba Oba.

(1) (Reply)

Race For Ibo Presidency -president Rochas Of APC Or President Soludo Of PDP / Breaking News!!! Buhari Never Promised To Make Naira Equal To Dollar – APC. / Mtn's New Way Of Cheating Their Customers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.