Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,536 members, 7,827,003 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian (1179 Views)

Fani Kayode Blasts ElRufai Over Memo To Buhari: You're A Coldblooded Backstabber / 14 Pictures You'll Relate To If You're Living A "Generator" Life / El-rufai To Critics : GO AND DIE If You're Not Happy Over My Appointees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by safarigirl(f): 1:08pm On Apr 13, 2015
Most Nigerians are tribalistic, but some Nigerians have been able to go beyond tribal affiliations and are a true representation of One Nigeria

Here are some characteristics of such people

1. You're fluent 2 or more Nigerian languages

2. You're NOT fluent in ANY Nigerian language, but you know words in bits and pieces from various languaues

3. You've lived in 3 or more geographical parts of Nigeria eg Kaduna, Warri and Lagos

4. You've lived in a geographical area that isn't your place of origin for 10 years and above.

5. Your closest friends are of a different tribe than you

6. You do not hesitate to attack your tribe where you think they've erred

7. You do not blindly side with your tribe.

8. You believe in merit. If someone must get something, his ethnic group must not be a factor

9. You do not use derogatory terms on other ethnic groups or treat them with hostility.

10. Without incentives, you supported Buhari as an Igbo/SS person and you supported GEJ as a Yoruba/Northerner grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by Idrismusty97(m): 1:15pm On Apr 13, 2015
1 - 4 is irrelevant. There are some people who speaks at least two languages mostly for business purposes or by merely living in a different geographical location you know learning their language is a necessity or life would be difficult for you. Some speak their language(Sometimes they can't even speak it) and that of their hosts but still hate their hosts bitterly. 6 & 7 is the same thing. The Hutu and Tutsi has nothing to do with language or religion, they speak the same Bantu tongues as well as French, and generally practice Christianity but that didn't stop them from hating themselves and slaughtering each other.

2 Likes

Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 1:17pm On Apr 13, 2015
In case!
Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by safarigirl(f): 1:26pm On Apr 13, 2015
Idrismusty97:
1 - 4 is irrelevant. There are some people who speaks at least two languages mostly for business purposes, They speak their language(Sometimes they can't even speak it) and that of their hosts but still hate their hosts bitterly. 6 & 7 is the same thing. The Hutu and Tutsi has nothing to do with language or religion, they speak the same Bantu tongues as well as French, and generally practice Christianity but that didn't stop them from hating themselves and slaughtering each other.
the hutu and tutsi are Rwandans. I'm about Nigerians....same things don't necessarily apply

Your opinion is appreciated though
Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 1:26pm On Apr 13, 2015
So I'm de-tribalized. Do I get to meet Obama straightaway?
Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 1:28pm On Apr 13, 2015
85% of the Nigerian populace are tribalistic while 70% are religious fanatics! sad
Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 1:45pm On Apr 13, 2015
I dont see anything funny in this joke. If u live and work in Lagos and have built a mansion or ure planning to build one, when your parents are still managing a 'no-fence' 2bed-room apartment without a toilet in ur village, SHAME ON YOU. Make Money! Oh Yes! But go home and develop your father's land. There is no place called ' no man's land' on the map of Nigeria. Its a pity that d Wisdom most of us claim to have ends in buying and selling (money making). 'AKURUO ULO'

1 Like

Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 1:45pm On Apr 13, 2015
If u live and work in Lagos and have built a mansion or ure planning to build one, when your parents are still managing a 'no-fence' 2bed-room apartment without a toilet in ur village, SHAME ON YOU. Make Money! Oh Yes! But go home and develop your father's land. There is no place called ' no man's land' on the map of Nigeria. Its a pity that d Wisdom most of us claim to have ends in buying and selling (money making). 'AKURUO ULO'

2 Likes

Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by tupem: 1:46pm On Apr 13, 2015
OGAofBOSS:
85% of the Nigerian populace are tribalistic while 70% are religious fanatics! sad
which one are you? ....
Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 1:46pm On Apr 13, 2015
If u live and work in Lagos and have built a mansion or ure planning to build one, when your parents are still managing a 'no-fence' 2bed-room apartment without a toilet in ur village, SHAME ON YOU. Make Money! Oh Yes! But go home and develop your father's land. There is no place called ' no man's land' on the map of Nigeria. Its a pity that d Wisdom most of us claim to have ends in buying and selling (money making). 'AKURUO ULO'

dis info is good here
Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by Sloan: 1:48pm On Apr 13, 2015
I think this is trash. To understand the present and future, look at the past! Then, you can improve on your present situation and avoid the mistakes of the past in your future because you've learned from them!

This is a parable to you and your ilk!

2 Likes

Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 1:49pm On Apr 13, 2015
Its good to move away from home to 'hammer' ( esp to Lagos bc of d ports and bc most companies' headquarters and recruitment agencies are situated there and bc it was formerly d country's capital) but wat stops u from developing ur father's land when you have enough to do so. WHY spend so much where u'l be expected to be grateful dat 'u were accomodated even after paying rent? Develop Aguata, Ihiala, Ekwusigo, Nnewi( already in progress to the glory of God) Onitsha etc. You may be wondering why am mentioning only places in Anambra, Go to the computer village, Alaba, Island, trade fair and festac to mention but a few, and find out d owners of those shops and tall plazas. 'I HATE ILLITERACY WITH PASSION' .NO PLACE ON THE MAP OF NIGERIA IS CALLED' NO MAN'S LAND' anyone that refuses to follow examples will end up in shambles. History will continue to repeat itself if we continue to ignore it. There is nothing funny here. Go to zik's home at Limca Road Onitsha and see the funny state of structures there. Those that did what ure doing today ( planning to do ) yesterday, where are they today? AKURUO ULO

say no to tribalism. don't give room to it in the first place
Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 1:51pm On Apr 13, 2015
Its good to move away from home to 'hammer' ( esp to Lagos bc of d ports and bc most companies' headquarters and recruitment agencies are situated there and bc it was formerly d country's capital) but wat stops u from developing ur father's land when you have enough to do so. WHY spend so much where u'l be expected to be grateful dat 'u were accomodated even after paying rent? Develop Aguata, Ihiala, Ekwusigo, Nnewi( already in progress to the glory of God) Onitsha etc. You may be wondering why am mentioning only places in Anambra, Go to the computer village, Alaba, Island, trade fair and festac to mention but a few, and find out d owners of those shops and tall plazas. 'I HATE ILLITERACY WITH PASSION' .NO PLACE ON THE MAP OF NIGERIA IS CALLED' NO MAN'S LAND' anyone that refuses to follow examples will end up in shambles. History will continue to repeat itself if we continue to ignore it. There is nothing funny here. Go to zik's home at Limca Road Onitsha and see the funny state of structures there. Those that did what ure doing today ( planning to do ) yesterday, where are they today? AKURUO ULO
Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 1:54pm On Apr 13, 2015
Most (if not all) of the great men of God from the west, business men, industrialists, academicians etc built one great structure, business, industry or just anything good in their home town, same can be said about the north. some built schools and are offering scholarships till today. Can we say the same about the Igbos? your answer is as good as mine. AKURUO ULO

I hope am not tribalistic! hahaha. 7 spot on!
Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 5:33pm On Apr 13, 2015
None. smiley
tupem:
which one are you? ....
Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by tupem: 5:40pm On Apr 13, 2015
OGAofBOSS:
None. smiley
grin
Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by TheRealAdonye(m): 7:11pm On Apr 13, 2015
Everything except 1 and 4.

I try nau
Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by Lero15(m): 7:46pm On Apr 13, 2015
This thread might just go tribal ish again... Unfollows thread. sad
Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 7:51pm On Apr 13, 2015
observing
Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by GIYAZZ(m): 7:53pm On Apr 13, 2015
obikirinoni:
I dont see anything funny in this joke. If u live and work in Lagos and have built a mansion or ure planning to build one, when your parents are still managing a 'no-fence' 2bed-room apartment without a toilet in ur village, SHAME ON YOU. Make Money! Oh Yes! But go home and develop your father's land. There is no place called ' no man's land' on the map of Nigeria. Its a pity that d Wisdom most of us claim to have ends in buying and selling (money making). 'AKURUO ULO'
You didn't go to college obviously/
I can tell by your ungodly unintelligible terminology/
Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by Ikengawo: 7:55pm On Apr 13, 2015
safarigirl:
Most Nigerians are tribalistic, but some Nigerians have been able to go beyond tribal affiliations and are a true representation of One Nigeria

Here are some characteristics of such people

1. You're fluent 2 or more Nigerian languages

2. Y[b]ou're NOT fluent in ANY Nigerian language[/b], but you know words in bits and pieces from various languaues

3. You've lived in 3 or more geographical parts of Nigeria eg Kaduna, Warri and Lagos

4. You've lived in a geographical area that isn't your place of origin for 10 years and above.

5. Your closest friends are of a different tribe than you

6. You do not hesitate to attack your tribe where you think they've erred

7. You do not blindly side with your tribe.

8. You believe in merit. If someone must get something, his ethnic group must not be a factor

9. You do not use derogatory terms on other ethnic groups or treat them with hostility.

10. Without incentives, you supported Buhari as an Igbo/SS person and you supported GEJ as a Yoruba/Northerner grin

Not only is this a product of your low education but for the highlighted reasons, if I had a son that ended up being one of these people you speak of them I know he is fatherless and I'm a failure.
So if you're igbo and vote for GEJ you're automatically a tribalist and if you're yoruba and can't speak yoruba you have achieved something?

2 Likes

Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by Etruth: 4:26pm On May 26, 2015
Hmmm....no 10 applies to me. Ab'um onye igbo but it has been Sai Baba all the way, even when Jonathan had no shoes....
Re: How To Know You're A De-tribalised Nigerian by Jossyroyal1: 4:34pm On May 26, 2015
pple who book space on NL are just clueless...

(1) (Reply)

15 Reasons Why PMB Declared War Against Mr Nobody / Nigerian Bar Association Honours Ex-lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola(pics) / Awolowo Remains Nigeria's Best Politician - Pete Edochie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.