Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows (78975 Views)

Cost To Supervise A Foundation Of 2storey Building Of 6flats / Cost Analysis Of Roofing My 3 Bedrooms Flat / Kindly Advise Me. After Paying 16 Million Naira, All I Have Is A Foundation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Hiibeek: 10:15am On Jan 25, 2016
podosci:
Do you have the architectural drawing?

please I need the cost breakdown
setting out:number of pegs, profile boards etc..
excavation work:required depth
foundation footing:volume of concrete, cement needed, sand and gravel
substructure:no of blocks, cement, sand...
dpc:cement, sand, gravel, nylon
dpc to rooflevel.
number of footing,pillars/rods, links, needed.cement, sand and gravel needed for casting
and also reinforcement for casting lintel cemnet sand and gravel
formwork
AND ANY OTHER NECCESSARY COST
all am trying to say is say PLEASE I need a very simple breakdown and proper explanation of d analysis and cost estimate of d building.
Thanks for ur anticipated cooperation.

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Hiibeek: 12:25pm On Jan 25, 2016
podosci:
Do you have the architectural drawing?

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by podosci(m): 11:54am On Jan 31, 2016
what about the structural drawings?
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Jlow2: 1:16pm On Jan 31, 2016
dis op na proffessor, i pray u will be minister of works one day,MAY D ALMIGHTY GOD BLESS U

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Itydee(m): 9:25am On Feb 02, 2016
Thanks so much my good friend for the insights and teachings you have imparted on all of us on how to calculate and carry out analysis of the buildings we plan to erect in our respective locations.
May the Good Lord Bless you.
I have a problem I want you o help me solve.
I have a sketch to build a storey building of 8 Nos Single bedroom flat on a 15m x 30m plot of Land in Port Harcourt.
Kindly help me with a tentative cost estimate up to roofing level..
We will have 4 Nos single bedroom flat on the ground floor and on the top floor.
My Site Engineer is giving me outrageous figure and I fear there might be element of scam somewhere.
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 4:55am On Feb 05, 2016
Itydee:
Thanks so much my good friend for the insights and teachings you have imparted on all of us on how to calculate and carry out analysis of the buildings we plan to erect in our respective locations.
May the Good Lord Bless you.
I have a problem I want you o help me solve.
I have a sketch to build a storey building of 8 Nos Single bedroom flat on a 15m x 30m plot of Land in Port Harcourt.
Kindly help me with a tentative cost estimate up to roofing level..
We will have 4 Nos single bedroom flat on the ground floor and on the top floor.
My Site Engineer is giving me outrageous figure and I fear there might be element of scam somewhere.

Ok you can send your drawings to my mail
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by karleone(m): 1:20pm On Feb 10, 2016
abdulwastecx:
mix ratio for foundation footing for bungalow should either be 1:3:6 or 1:2:4 for normal soil.
i prefer 1:2:4 ( 1 bag of cement : 4 head pan of sand or 1 wheel barrow of sand : 8 head pan of gravel or 2 wheel barrow of gravel). reason been that the foundation of bungalow is very important because it help to distributes the wall load to foundation adequately.
A typical foundations supporting a three bedroom flat or its equivalent should have the following features

1. minimum thickness of 100mm ( 4'') and should not more than 225mm (9'') thick on a strong soil for economy reason.
2. the sharp sand should not be too smooth and free from clay and other dirt which may reduce the strength of concrete
3. the gravel should be preferably 3/4 ( 20mm) thick and must be free from dust.
4. the water for mixing should be drinkable and free from salt and other chemical contamination
5. the water-cement ratio must not be greater than 0.6.

mode of calculating the volume of concrete for foundation footings ( strip foundation).
1. get the sum of the total gird of the substructure, let say 'P' = 50 ( example)
2. get the width of the foundation, say 450mm (18'') for 150mm ( 6"wink wall and 675mm ( 27" ) for 225mm (9"wink wall
3. Assume a thickness of say 150mm for 6" wall and or 225mm for 9" wall.
4. convert all your dimension to 'm'
5. hence volume, v =50x 0.45 x 0.15 = 3.375m3
6. increase the volume by 25% to cater for shrinkage and wastage. =1.25 x 3.375= 4.05m3

using mix ratio 1:2:4
part of cement = 1/7 x4.05 =0.58m3
since the density of ordinary Portland cement s 1506kg/m3
and i bag = 50kg
hence, no of bags = 0.58 x 1506/50 =17.4bags ( 18 bags aprox.)

part of sand = 2/7 x 4.05 =1.16m3
since the density of sharp sand is 1600kg/m3 and a tonne of sharp sand is 1000kg
hence, 1.16 x 1600/1000 = 1.856tonnes ( 2 tonnes aprox.)

part of gravel = 2 x 1.16 = 2.32m3
since the density of gravel is 2400kg/m3 and a tonne of gravel weight 1000kg
hence, 2.32 x 2.4 =5.57tonnes ( 6 tonnes )

part of water using water cement ratio of 0.6
weight of water = 0.6 weight of cement = 0.6 x 18 x 50 =540kg
volume of water required, from density = mass/volume
making volume subject, volume = mass/density
where density of water = 1000kg/m3
hence, volume of water required = 540/1000= 0.54m3
since,1m3 = 1000liters
volume of water required = 540 liters

Bumped into this thread and found it worthy and knowledgeable. But I've got some questions to ask --
When calculating quantity of materials from your mix ratio, don't we consider the Volume of dry concrete dat ranges from 1.54 - 1.57 or thereabouts as a FOS to counter shrinkage? I didn't see you multiply such in your calculation for qty of cement, sand and gravel.
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 3:50pm On Feb 10, 2016
karleone:

Bumped into this thread and found it worthy and knowledgeable. But I've got some questions to ask --
When calculating quantity of materials from your mix ratio, don't we consider the Volume of dry concrete dat ranges from 1.54 - 1.57 or thereabouts as a FOS to counter shrinkage? I didn't see you multiply such in your calculation for qty of cement, sand and gravel.

I am aware about of that factor of safety and that is why I allow 25% for shrinkage.
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by karleone(m): 4:42pm On Feb 10, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I am aware about of that factor of safety and that is why I allow 25% for shrinkage.

Ok Sir. Thanks
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Mayor78: 12:06pm On Mar 06, 2016
Barka da aiki Mallam, mu na godia da ilimi da kake nunamamu. Allah akawo chingaba duka mmu.
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 6:11pm On Mar 06, 2016
Mayor78:
Barka da aiki Mallam, mu na godia da ilimi da kake nunamamu. Allah akawo chingaba duka mmu.

Amin
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Mayor78: 4:09am On Mar 07, 2016
abdulwastecx:
mix ratio for foundation footing for bungalow should either be 1:3:6 or 1:2:4 for normal soil.
i prefer 1:2:4 ( 1 bag of cement : 4 head pan of sand or 1 wheel barrow of sand : 8 head pan of gravel or 2 wheel barrow of gravel). reason been that the foundation of bungalow is very important because it help to distributes the wall load to foundation adequately.
A typical foundations supporting a three bedroom flat or its equivalent should have the following features

1. minimum thickness of 100mm ( 4'') and should not more than 225mm (9'') thick on a strong soil for economy reason.
2. the sharp sand should not be too smooth and free from clay and other dirt which may reduce the strength of concrete
3. the gravel should be preferably 3/4 ( 20mm) thick and must be free from dust.
4. the water for mixing should be drinkable and free from salt and other chemical contamination
5. the water-cement ratio must not be greater than 0.6.

mode of calculating the volume of concrete for foundation footings ( strip foundation).
1. get the sum of the total gird of the substructure, let say 'P' = 50 ( example)
2. get the width of the foundation, say 450mm (18'') for 150mm ( 6"wink wall and 675mm ( 27" ) for 225mm (9"wink wall
3. Assume a thickness of say 150mm for 6" wall and or 225mm for 9" wall.
4. convert all your dimension to 'm'
5. hence volume, v =50x 0.45 x 0.15 = 3.375m3
6. increase the volume by 25% to cater for shrinkage and wastage. =1.25 x 3.375= 4.05m3

using mix ratio 1:2:4
part of cement = 1/7 x4.05 =0.58m3
since the density of ordinary Portland cement s 1506kg/m3
and i bag = 50kg
hence, no of bags = 0.58 x 1506/50 =17.4bags ( 18 bags aprox.)

part of sand = 2/7 x 4.05 =1.16m3
since the density of sharp sand is 1600kg/m3 and a tonne of sharp sand is 1000kg
hence, 1.16 x 1600/1000 = 1.856tonnes ( 2 tonnes aprox.)

part of gravel = 2 x 1.16 = 2.32m3
since the density of gravel is 2400kg/m3 and a tonne of gravel weight 1000kg
hence, 2.32 x 2.4 =5.57tonnes ( 6 tonnes )

part of water using water cement ratio of 0.6
weight of water = 0.6 weight of cement = 0.6 x 18 x 50 =540kg
volume of water required, from density = mass/volume
making volume subject, volume = mass/density
where density of water = 1000kg/m3
hence, volume of water required = 540/1000= 0.54m3
since,1m3 = 1000liters
volume of water required = 540 liters

Abdul, Are the calculations above from a textbook such that they are repeated exactly in this blog http://alistdevelopers..ie/ Or are you the same company as alistdevelopers? I wouldn't want to believe that somebody is plagiarising here. I really detest plagiarism. It can be classified among cheating's' of the highest order. The integrity of any professional engaging in them creates ambiguous credibility concern. Please clarify. Thanks.
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 6:26am On Mar 07, 2016
Mayor78:

Abdul, Are the calculations above from a textbook such that they are repeated exactly in this blog http://alistdevelopers..ie/ Or are you the same company as alistdevelopers? I wouldn't want to believe that somebody is plagiarising here. I really detest plagiarism. It can be classified among cheating's' of the highest order. The integrity of any professional engaging in them creates ambiguous credibility concern. Please clarify. Thanks.

I don't even know the block you are talking about.

This is are volume calculations and any one can easily do it.

The miss ratio calculation using volume is comon among builders, the density of cement, and all other aggregates are in all the publications
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 6:27am On Mar 07, 2016
Mayor78:

I don't think there is issue of plagiarism here, I have been doing this calculation for some times now
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 6:47am On Mar 07, 2016
Mayor78:

I just checked the website, it is very clear that the said architect copied my work. All his post were in January 2016 while I started this in April 2015. He copied everything I wrote on this thread world for world without referencing me
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 7:00am On Mar 07, 2016
Mayor78:

The Guy copied my work here and some of my pictures ( some of the work I executed in Port Harcourt) all without referencing me. If not for your comment I will not even know about it
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by obynocute(m): 9:39am On Mar 07, 2016
tnx mr abdul for this thread, I read all through it, nd I must confess, I hv learnt a lot, anoda issue m hvn problems is how to calculate number of reinforcement nd spacing in a reinforced concrete or slab, sorry for derailing ur thread boss...
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Mayor78: 7:46am On Mar 08, 2016
abdulwastecx:

The Guy copied my work here and some of my pictures ( some of the work I executed in Port Harcourt) all without referencing me. If not for your comment I will not even know about it

With your response Abdul, I doubt if you know the guy at all. Thats exactly the issue, while appreciating valuable information from this property section of Nairaland, one needs to be equally weary of cheats who are intent on using peoples work as their own, pose as architects, builders etc to lure unsuspecting victims into rackets of swindlers or arm robbery at the extreme. Scary!

Kindly do us the favour by sending a warning to the guy to desist from using ur work if he is not going to reference you. Most importantly, using your pictures as one of his site. Dont allow cheats to malign your integrity.
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Mayor78: 8:17am On Mar 08, 2016
Please how many iron rods on average would you expect to complete the decking of a 5 Bedroom duplex with floor slab measuring 16.684 x 15.924 meters. Am trying to work that out going by the 'Floor Slab details' in the Structural Drawings by calculating some of the figures on the drawing. E.g where it says 31-Y1217-200 c/c B; 21-Y1018-150 c/c T, I want to believe that it is talking about 31 pieces of Y12 on base and 21 pieces of Y10 on top.

How do I interpret the numbers above, and what are the the methods to calculate the number of rods required per given space

(Guys don't laugh too much on my ignorance here!). Look Abdul am trying to learn fast here, time is against me so need your help asap. LOL!
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 6:49am On Mar 16, 2016
Mayor78:
Please how many iron rods on average would you expect to complete the decking of a 5 Bedroom duplex with floor slab measuring 16.684 x 15.924 meters. Am trying to work that out going by the 'Floor Slab details' in the Structural Drawings by calculating some of the figures on the drawing. E.g where it says 31-Y1217-200 c/c B; 21-Y1018-150 c/c T, I want to believe that it is talking about 31 pieces of Y12 on base and 21 pieces of Y10 on top.

How do I interpret the numbers above, and what are the the methods to calculate the number of rods required per given space

(Guys don't laugh too much on my ignorance here!). Look Abdul am trying to learn fast here, time is against me so need your help asap. LOL!

Very good question sir. I may not be as to give you an exact figure without the slab detail plan but I will try to come up wit an acceptable number from the floor Dimensions and a simple detail that you posted here.

31-Y1217-200 c/c B : means 31 number of high yield bar of 12mm diameter with a mark number of 17 spaced at 200mm center to center (c/c) and positioned at the bottom (B).

21-Y1018-150c/c T : means 21 number of high yield bar of 10mm in diameter of Mark number of 18 and spaced at 150mm Centre to center positioned at the top (T)

Note for slab, the designer gave to be more specific with the position if the bar. We have two ways of been more specific, either using BB (bottom bottom), BT ( bottom top) or T T (top top), TX (top bottom).
The second way is by using T1, T2 and B1, B2.

BB/B1 : means the bar is place at the bottom side of the bottom bar, these are the main bar of span reinforcement in a slab and their effective depth = depth - cover- half of its own diamter

BT /B2 : thee are the distribution bar of the main bar for span reinforcement, they are placed immediately on top of the BB bar and their effective depth = depth - cove - diameter of BB - half of its own diameter

TT/T1 : these are the main reinforcement of the support of continuous end of a slab or for a cantilever end. They are placed at the top most of the slab to control bending there.

TB/T2. these are the distribution bar of the top reinforcement in a continuous end of slab or for a cantilever slab. The are placed below the TT at the top of the slab

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 7:04am On Mar 16, 2016
Mayor78:

Without the slab detailed drawing and with the limited information of
Area of slab minus opening 16.684m x 15.924m
Spacing of bar and bar specifications
Y12-200c/c B ( I will assume this is for BB an TT
Y10 - 150 c/c T ( I will assume this to be for both 'BT'
'TB').

Bottom bar required :
Main = 15.94 /200 +1 = 81bars
length of bars = 16.684/12 = 1 and half each length
Total number of bottom bar required conservatively = 81x 1.5 Y12 spaced @ 200mm c/c = 122 length of Y12 required.

For distribution bars
16.684m/150mm = 112
Lengh of each bar is 1 and half
Number required = 112x1.5 = 168length of Y10 @ 150mm c/c.

Note, I didn't calculate the top bar because I don't have the slab layout.
I assume that most of shorter span is across the 16.684m span.

1 Like

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Yaskin4all: 11:03am On Mar 18, 2016
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by SLADsys: 6:06pm On Mar 20, 2016
Abdulwastecx,

I was really looking forward to steps 9 - 11, but in the absence of that I've sent you an email, kindly respond. Thank you.
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by nwabuwa: 3:42pm On Apr 04, 2016
Good day sir.. Is it proper during excavation for a bungalow to dig both the outside and inside walls(bathrooms, kitchen and sitting room) to the same depth.
2. What determines steps during excavation.
Thanks, and more blessings
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by joshua112: 7:37pm On Apr 04, 2016
Yaskin4all:
Please, can any experience builder Supersede the quotes? if you do, i will really like to work with you ASAP
This is what the builder managing the site gave me and i think its three much, site in isheri north

First Floor Slab (310sq.m)
Cement 235 baqs 1500 352500
Granite 1/2 inch 3 20tons 55000 165000
Sharp sand 2 30tons 135000 270000
Reinforcement (10,12,16mm) 7tons 115000 805000
Binding wire 5 rolls 6000 30000

Wood
1'' x 12'' x 12'' wood 320 boards1000 320000
2'' x 3'' 420 nr 400 168000
Nail various size 7bags 7000 49000

Beams (12cu.m)
Cement 55 bags 1500 82500
Granite 1/2 inch 1 10tons 45000 45000
Sharp sand 1 10tons 25000 25000
Reinforcement (10,12,16mm) 2tons 115000 230000
Binding wire 1 rolls 6000 6000

Wood
1'' x 12'' x 12'' wood 155 boards 1000 155000
2'' x 3'' 180 nr 400 72000
Bamboo 350 nr 250 87500
Nail various size 6 bags 7000 42000

FIRST FLOOR SLAB 2,904,500
Yaskin4all:
Please, can any experience builder Supersede the quotes? if you do, i will really like to work with you ASAP
This is what the builder managing the site gave me and i think its three much, site in isheri north
Wood
Beams (12cu.m)
Wood
Bamboo 350 nr 250 87500
Yaskin4all:

Wood

Beams (12cu.m)

Wood
Bamboo 350 nr 250 87500

GOOD DAY FIRST OF ALL REDUCE THE TOTAL TON OF REINFORCEMENT FOR BOTH BEAM AND SLAB TO 5TONS OR MAX 6TONS
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by joshua112: 7:43pm On Apr 04, 2016
joshua112:

GOOD DAY FIRST OF ALL REDUCE THE TOTAL TON OF REINFORCEMENT FOR BOTH BEAM AND SLAB TO 5TONS OR MAX 6TONS

FOR TOTAL 2 BY 3 FOR BOTH BEAMS AND SLAB REDUCE TO 300 PCS .LET THE 1 BY 12 WOOD BE 450PCS.
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Mayor78: 2:51pm On Apr 05, 2016
Yaskin4all:

Wood

Beams (12cu.m)
[s]Granite 1/2 inch 1 10tons 45000 45000[/s]

Wood
Bamboo 350 nr 250 87500

After reducing the tons as advised by Abdul, do try and look at the followings as well;

The guy gave you a quote of half inch granite of 3 20tons @N55k each totalling N165k at floor slab section, but then again in another granite quote same half inch at beam section, he quoted 1 10ton @N45K. If 1 20tons costs N55k, does it make sense to buy 1 10 ton at N45k each. If that were the actual price, why not buy 1 20 ton @ N55k thus save money. It doesn't make sense to buy 1 10tons of half inch granite @N45K when you can buy 1 20ton same granite @N55K. There is a great different between N90K and N55K. The guy is a joke!

Again for sharp sand, he quoted 2 30tons @N135k total N270k which means that each 30tons is N67.5K giving N22.5 per 10ton. But again he gave another differing quote of 1 10 ton @N25k for beams. why that is fussy.

Similarly, through varying quotes here in nairaland, I observed that quotes for binding wire and nails has been consistent across quotes irrespective of locations at N2k and 5k for binding wires and nails respectively. It is only in yours that I see N6k for binding wire and N7k for nails. What an exception?

Reinforcements (10, 12, 16mm) 7tons (1st slab section) and 2tons (reinforcement section) @N115k each. I am at loss for which size of the iron rods was the quote. Is he suggesting that the prices for the listed sizes per ton are the same (that would be outstanding), or did he omit something there. Not very clear to me, perhaps am missing something.

Don't allow shy-lock builders to take you to the cleaners. Shine your eyes and ask questions and shop around. Don't be too trusting. Good luck!
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Mayor78: 3:07pm On Apr 05, 2016
Abdul,
Don Allah na aika maka email. Ka duba don tomeko. Thanks
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 10:06pm On Apr 06, 2016
I will respond to your mail sir.. . I am in a very remote village where the network is very poor
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Mayor78: 2:40am On Apr 07, 2016
Thanks! am waiting.
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by olawale100: 10:01am On Apr 18, 2016
joshua112:

I suspect he may have transposed the costing for the granite and sharp sand.

30 tons of granite is 135k - 2 Nos will be equal to 270k
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by udy4real(m): 9:47am On Apr 29, 2016
Pls abdul can I get d detailed version of d estimate for the 2/3 bedroom bungalow in my email add,
Rolynson@yahoo.com

Thanks and God bless

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I Cried When I Entered The Houses Of Billionaires In Lekki / Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) / Dstv/ Free to Air Satellite tv Stations/ Multi-dwelling Unit Installation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.