Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,613 members, 7,813,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:49 AM

No Sound After Reinstalling Windows - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / No Sound After Reinstalling Windows (3216 Views)

Installed Windows Xp Sp2 Has No Sound / No Sound After Xp Re_installation / No Sound From Speakers When Playing Vcd Or Dvd On My System. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Sound After Reinstalling Windows by shinysmrt: 1:24am On Jan 29, 2009
hi,
i formatted my system and reinstalled win xp sp2, but since then there has been no sound
on my system. in device manager, the Multimedia Audio Controller and PCI Simple Communications Controller both have yellow question marks and exclamation marks.
when i go to Sounds and Audio Devices in control panel, under the "Volume" tab, it says "No Audio Device" and everything is grayed out.
pls what do i do? i'm really a novice here. i have a Matsonic MS9138D motherboard, but don't have the cd for drivers, i guess i have to install the sound drivers, but then again i'm confused: is there anything like motherboard drivers and are the sound and video drivers all included in it, or do i need to specifically look for sound drivers?
also, i don't know where i can download them.
pls i really need ur help.
thanx.
Re: No Sound After Reinstalling Windows by babanne(m): 7:57pm On Jan 30, 2009
That means your sound driver was not installed when you reinstalled the windows.All right all you need to do is to go to windows help.Type in sound.You will see questions related to yours.if you follow the instruction properly, you will be directed to device manager. There you will see a question mark written in yellow colour on the device whose driver is not installed.Click on the area where the question mark is and you will see drivers you can install for your sound device. Follow the instructions step by step and when you are able to install the driver properly, you will have sound back on your computer. I hope it helps. If not call me on 07026257932 for more clues.
Re: No Sound After Reinstalling Windows by shinysmrt: 2:12am On Jan 31, 2009
thanx a lot for the reply. i went thru the steps you stated and got to device manager. when i doubleclicked on the yellow question mark, the properties opened and i clicked 'Reinstall drivers' and went thru the hardware update wizard instructions but it could not install it. the error message was: 'The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software'. i don't have the drivers. do u know how i can get them?
Re: No Sound After Reinstalling Windows by chukslee2(m): 5:02am On Jan 31, 2009
If u have the mother cd that came with your system, insert the cd and try to update your hardware again, if not visit the site of the manufacturers of your system motherboard and download the driver, or search for it through google.
Re: No Sound After Reinstalling Windows by babanne(m): 2:19pm On Jan 31, 2009
@shiny_smrt I want to assure you that the device software is on your system.check your steps carefully.it has happened to me just this month.But I carefully follow the steps after about two hours i got it right.So you too can carefully retrace your steps.There will be many options as you are trying to follow the options.try following different options.I'm sure you will get it.I mean after you might have clicked on the yellow question mark.You will have to take your time to follow different paths to get the right one that will install the right driver for your device.
Re: No Sound After Reinstalling Windows by Greatdesi(m): 4:40pm On Jan 31, 2009
Go to the website of your computer click on support/ drivers download select your computer model, operating system and click download. After downloading install that downloaded driver and restart your computer. Be care ful to select the right specifications of your computer.
Re: No Sound After Reinstalling Windows by omokwe(m): 6:50pm On Jan 31, 2009
go to the website of ur pc or laptop and look for the link for drivers and networking. pick a driver for sound download it and instal it on ur pc/laptop. for further help call 08036395493.
Re: No Sound After Reinstalling Windows by ossy4rill: 7:47pm On Jan 31, 2009
in the system is a hp product just do to google and type the name of the systen then drivers by the side u will get all the necessary system drivers
Re: No Sound After Reinstalling Windows by shinysmrt: 12:41am On Feb 02, 2009
thanx a lot for all the replies. i've gone to the website and downloaded sound card drivers, but there is no documentation on how to install it. do i just run it, or do i have to go thru the hardware update wizard?
Re: No Sound After Reinstalling Windows by chukslee2(m): 2:37am On Feb 04, 2009
@poster, yes just run it like installation of any other applications, it is an exe file
Re: No Sound After Reinstalling Windows by netotse(m): 5:12pm On Feb 04, 2009
methinks you shouldnt have formatted without backing up your drivers first,
Re: No Sound After Reinstalling Windows by EmmaGSM(m): 9:19am On Feb 05, 2009
Good talk Netotse,
plz tell me how 2 backup system drivers eg vga,sound,wireless lan etc,
i want 2 format my system.
Re: No Sound After Reinstalling Windows by Abatakan: 1:38pm On Feb 05, 2009
Hi shiny_smrt,

To answer your questions as humanly/competently possible here we go.

"i formatted my system and reinstalled win xp sp2, but since then there has been no sound

Answer-We all do that,after messing around for so long and no cure,you think,sod it,format and we can go back to square one.Only square one it`s dangerous) So now hard drive formatted/OS loaded and surprise surprise one application won`t work,oh dear what did l do wrong? PS.lt`s okay (Imagine you are the IT guy who got called into the boss office and the PC not working (he/she already resents you for earning in a second what he/she does not and you can`t get his/her PC back on-line (this was b4 the credit crunch) anyway l digress back to your issue.

Answer-Firstly some motherboard have an issue when it comes to reloading soundcard and notoriously the soundcard that comes preloaded with most MOBO(motherboard) is realtek (AC`97) that has an issue with windows service packs that will not allow you to load the drivers because of a conflict with Microsoft UAA Bus Driver.(don`t ask)

on my system. in device manager, the Multimedia Audio Controller and PCI Simple Communications Controller both have yellow question marks and exclamation marks.

Answer-The yellow mark indicates the issue mentioned above,there is a fix-it will cost you (JUST JOKING)
It`s a case of disabling Microsoft UAA Bus Driver/Installing and installing realtek fix from their website. (l know you paid all that money and now PC won`t work because of conflict with the OS (operating system) gee it sucks but eh what can we do?If you still have a problem,reply on this site and l will reply back.

when i go to Sounds and Audio Devices in control panel, under the "Volume" tab, it says "No Audio Device" and everything is grayed out.

Answer-Same as above

pls what do i do? i'm really a novice here. i have a Matsonic MS9138D motherboard, but don't have the cd for drivers, i guess i have to install the sound drivers, but then again i'm confused: is there anything like motherboard drivers and are the sound and video drivers all included in it, or do i need to specifically look for sound drivers?
also, i don't know where i can download them.
pls i really need ur help.
thanx.

Answer-The MOBO does not seems to be supported anymore (checked through forums can`t find any) like l said usually MOBO comes with CD that entails all the driver (l presume you don`t have it,if it was preinstalled and you bought the PC ready to go) anyway it will make no difference from my experience.once the hard drive is formatted (note this applies to some MOBO inbuilt soundcard in this case realtek AC 97) windows SP2 seems to phone home to say`Houston we have a problem!
Re: No Sound After Reinstalling Windows by shinysmrt: 1:37am On Feb 06, 2009
thanks a lot for all the assistance  smiley

netotse:

methinks you shouldnt have formatted without backing up your drivers first,

yep, next time i'll make sure i back up my drivers first. i guess thats why they say experience is the best teacher!

@Abatakan
my soundcard is AC '97 and thank goodness i was able to find it and download it. i've installed it and there was no conflict with Microsoft UAA bus driver.

so at last, i now have sound on my system cheesy cheesy cheesy
though one thing i observed is that in device manager, the 'Multimedia Audio Controller' disappeared and the 'PCI Simple Communications Controller' still has the yellow question mark and exclamation mark, but the sound is perfect so i don't think it matters.

since i formatted all my drivers, do i download and install the vga driver cos my lcd monitor has white shadows to the right of everything!

thanx once again.
Re: No Sound After Reinstalling Windows by Abatakan: 10:21am On Feb 06, 2009
Yello shiny_smrt,
Glad u got it working,you might want to try and change the settings on your screen resolution/screen refresh rate via control panel if it makes no difference then download and re-installed the drivers for the VGA andpossibly the lcd itself (if available) try and get the latest version.Nice of you to thank people for helping.
Abatakan

(1) (Reply)

Various Laptops & Gadgets We Have Available For Sale!!! (CLOSED) / Glo Wap Settings / Do Browsers Respond To Networks Differently?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.