Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President (47176 Views)

Buhari Should Make Jonathan’s Mistakes, Says Omokri / 5 Jonathan’s Mistakes Buhari Has Repeated / I Would Have Remained In PDP, If I Knew My Deputy Would Betray Me--gov. Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Volksfuhrer(m): 4:35pm On Apr 14, 2015
CHESSBOARD:

Best ans to this ediot called itsdumbass , he should satisfy the SW because they control the press and Judiciary undecided.,....ok let see if Buhari will satisfy the SW, now they believe they have the power lets see how satisfied they will be.... One of the best thing GEJ did was killing Godfatherism...OBJ can now Godfather GMB.. undecided

If he had retained OBJ as Godfather, Oduah, Moro and co would have been summarily dismissed; BH would have been properly dealt with; and many more mistakes could have been avoided. He would also not appear clueless when he should have been decisive!

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by olaniyanc: 4:35pm On Apr 14, 2015
blackfase:
Apt analysis....

MAMA PISS HIJACKED THE GOVERNMEN BECAME AN UNELECTED PRESIDENT AND POLITICAL LEADER BLOWING GRAMMARTOLOGYGY ON THE FACES OF INNOCENT NIGERIANS AND ALLOWED NIGERIANS TO BE RIDECULED WORLDWIDE. CHE!!!!!!
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:35pm On Apr 14, 2015
[b]Ameachi Didnt Betray Jonathan; It Was Vice-versa by koboko69

First I must state that I am proudly a Niger-Deltan.

I am dissapointed that my brethern cant look beyond tribal sentiments and kick against what is wrong.

Many claimed Ameachi betrayed his brother forgetting the major incidence that led to the fuse between him and Jonathan.

It all started when Jonathan and the former PDP chairman decided to create their own almighty formular of 16 is greater than 19.

The same Northerners that my brethren hate with much disgust was going to be imposed ad the chairman of PDP governors forum despite Ameachi winning with 19 votes. I wonder where they were at this point. Why was there no much hate for Jonathan when he was performing this abrakadabra? Is this not betrayal on the part of Jonathan? It is interesting to note that this was thr beginning of PDP's down fall.

Alot of Northeners also worked against GMB, why are we not hearing cries and noises from the Northerners calling those who work against Buhari betrayals. It is quite unfortunate that people who also claim to be enlightened still have a backward mentality.

Election violence have been reported mostly in the SS/SE. Yet we claim its only Notherners that kill and maim during elections.

I wonder what have been the effect of 'our brother' as a president in the Niger Delta as a whole. The only benefits so far is the enrichment of illiterates and terrorists who claimed to be fighting for our region; while you with cerificates are still roaming round the streets and spewing hates and thrash on social media.

Team One Nigeria!

https://www.nairaland.com/2255172/ameachi-didnt-betray-jonathan-it[/b]

10 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by millionaireman: 4:38pm On Apr 14, 2015
Jonathan was cowed. Thereafter, he decided long before the last electioneering campaign to chicken out from Aso Rock.

Problem was that he didn't tell the few persons left campaigning for his re-election that he wanted to leave this year to go and enjoy life as a private citizen, instead of remaining in the cage in government circles.
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Bakersfield: 4:38pm On Apr 14, 2015
Volksfuhrer:
Your analysis is 78% correct.

Arm-twisting the media however could not have worked successfully as you suggested.

Corruption and ethnic politics finished GEJ!

Gbammm. Straight to the point and very objective.

Law of Karma,you reap what you sow.

If you fail to plan, you surely plan to fail. Power is transient

Excuse me plsssssssssss

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by simplexvi: 4:40pm On Apr 14, 2015
northerners do get love for their dictonary....we igbos voted for him massively because of the love we had for him despite the fact that he did not do much for us... we love him.
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Gasout(m): 4:40pm On Apr 14, 2015
He(GEJ) never dreamed to be the head of state. He was just too fortunate to be where he is today. So wat good do u expect from a Man who never had plan? If nt for OBJ, GEJ has never be out of Otuoeke, ask reseach

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Nobody: 4:41pm On Apr 14, 2015
v2. Anyone who refused to be his friend, he would have crushed…how? Influencing the revoking of broadcast licenses, strongarming…..(there a whole lot of ways to deal with them…contact me if you need more..:-)
You might say these are wicked and underhand but anyone who derives joy in destroying me before thousands of people, poisoning their minds and causing me psychological problems has no RIGHT to enjoy while I suffer! I would be foolish to have the means to deal with them and I don’t....:-)

234next

seizing of the nation by soldiers

seizing of the economist

try again
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Bigdreams(m): 4:42pm On Apr 14, 2015
I'm sure he must have learnt his lessons.

Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by greall12(m): 4:42pm On Apr 14, 2015
President of Otuoke.
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by wonlasewonimi: 4:42pm On Apr 14, 2015
Wearing that hat is one of his worst mistake.
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by angelsing(m): 4:42pm On Apr 14, 2015
joewilly:
He did his best and he is well appreciated. How many people today will aceept defeat even the opposition. A stern president could have wasted human life to remain in power. we love u weak Jona
Its probably obvious u don't know what good governance is all about...Just go outside this country and u will weep for Nigeria...If to u conceding defeats means he is the alpha and Omega then bask in the euphoria till he finally steps down on may 29

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by angelsing(m): 4:43pm On Apr 14, 2015
joewilly:
He did his best and he is well appreciated. How many people today will aceept defeat even the opposition. A stern president could have wasted human life to remain in power. we love u weak Jona
Its probably obvious u don't know what good governance is all about...Just go outside this country and u will weep for Nigeria...If to u conceding defeats means he is the alpha and Omega then bask in the euphoria till he finally steps down on may 29.
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by niceguy7(m): 4:43pm On Apr 14, 2015
He made no mistakes, it ws very glaring enuf that the people actually wanted changed! cool
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Drabrah(m): 4:46pm On Apr 14, 2015
olamilian:
Too long
Were u expecting it 2 b Short?
I'll rather say it's concise.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by tsharp(m): 4:46pm On Apr 14, 2015
U mean u support the idea of God fatherism?? I weep for Nigeria. With such opinions, Nigeria is not ready to move forward.[/quote]

Sorry your interpretation is simplistic. Jonathan has no claim to being a man of his own, which clearly was his downfall. He could have made up for that by forging better alliances. You may call it whatever you want but that is the politics he needed to play.
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Charly68: 4:47pm On Apr 14, 2015
He did not manage his wife very well. The woman spoiled the show for him within the PDP cycle. She surrounded herself with the gullible and the hypocrites and began to dictates who get what ,when and how. This sent many of his grass root mobilizers away from PDP. How did Ameachi left him. He delivered over 2 million votes for him in 2011 . Those of them from SS who are calling the man traitor today refused to face the reality ..You don't walk against the pillars that uphold your star.

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by hardbody: 4:48pm On Apr 14, 2015
iyatrustee:
This matter has been overflogged!

This is tantamount to crying over spilt milk

My exact thoughts. How about we look forward to what the new government can achieve in the next 4 years. Perhaps highlight pitfalls to avoid rather than dwelling on a leadership that has become history. Everyday Jonathan this Jonathan that. People are gradually beginning to sound like market women at Balogun.
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by veraponpo(m): 4:48pm On Apr 14, 2015
itsdumebi:
THE MISTAKES OF PRESIDENT JONATHAN

My name is Dumebi Ifeanyi and I am a political animal. This article is in no way meant to insult/derogate the personality of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. Its main motive is to show his mistakes and what he ought to have done.
I feel compelled to write this article in order for aspiring young politicians like myself to learn from the mistakes of one whose actions led to the near destruction of a great party which I dearly support. Many might be pleased, many might not, but affairs of state ought to be seen/stated for the way they are and not the way they ought to be. So let’s begin…..

His Nature

Any good, prudent leader knows that in order to thrive and grow in politics, he ought to know how to be Soft and Hard, Jonathan is a good man…an overly good man and in politics ‘soft/good men’ don’t go very far. He found himself in several situations where he was supposed to take the best possible action which might have been seen as morally ‘bad’.
You see, in politics and governance as a whole, you are required to be objective….certain circumstances require that you do that which might be viewed as morally ‘bad’, but in order for your government to stand, for your people to survive and for your position to remain, you must take these actions. There are situations whereby you do that which is viewed as morally ‘good’ and you will come to absolute ruin.

How the people see their leader is also very important.GEJ did not manage his image well; he was viewed by the people as ‘weak’ because of his lack of charisma and confidence.

The Love of the people

Of all the mistakes that will be stated here, please pay very good attention to this one….NEVER EVER LOSE THE LOVE OF THE PEOPLE!! This is Paramount! Why? The power truly lies with the PEOPLE!
Jonathan came into power with the love of the people (the ‘I had no shoes’ story), everyone loved him but along the line, he made the people lose faith in him, especially after the Chibok girls issue.

Media/Chibok girls

The Media controls the minds of the people. President Jonathan made grave mistakes in managing the media’s representations of his actions. His leadership skills were already not to impressive and the media was not helping matters, even when he appeared to make a little improvement it still did not help as people had already grown fond of getting negative reports about him, so what should he have done? Two things I propose….
1. He should have befriended/enriched some top media house heads, gave them contracts…I mean…everyman has a price.
2. Anyone who refused to be his friend, he would have crushed…how? Influencing the revoking of broadcast licenses, strongarming…..(there a whole lot of ways to deal with them…contact me if you need more..:-)
You might say these are wicked and underhand but anyone who derives joy in destroying me before thousands of people, poisoning their minds and causing me psychological problems has no RIGHT to enjoy while I suffer! I would be foolish to have the means to deal with them and I don’t....:-)
On the chibok girls issue, the president’s lukewarmness caused his great misfortunes, had he immediately given a speech, a good one, a sympathetic one….even if he had no information yet…he would have just addressed the nation and told them that they were working on the matter/ investigating not releasing press statements through Abati….The people needed to know that they had a leader…If they had seen his face, heard his voice…it would have been much better. Had he mobilized the army earlier(or hired mercenaries), had he also given more speeches, speeches that all media houses, TV stations, radio stations would broadcast live(suspending all other programs), supported the Chibok girls campaign, heavily publicized appeals to the AU,UN..etc, these actions could have salvaged his already battered image.
He should also have invested heavily in social media at an early stage, he greatly underestimated it and thought it to be ‘’child’s play’’ but anything causing you great harm and loss of peace of mind is NOT ‘’child’s play’’.

Poor Advisers

A leader’s strength is measured by the advisers/men he has around him. He should have properly vetted those he chose for advisers and he should have weighed his political alliances. He also trusted the wrong people.

Biting the Finger that fed him

His biggest mistake till date is not keeping OBJ satisfied, biting the finger that fed him. You see, those who rise to power on the shoulders of others depend on the fortune and goodwill of him who has elevated them, Jonathan let his rift with OBJ thrive and that was a very, very grave mistake. You see, so far the Old military junta, so far the former military leaders live, Obasanjo is still as relevant as he was in the old days…..He should never have underestimated the power of the Iroko of Owu…he should never have!
In choosing enemies, make sure you know everything about your enemy….his alliances, his strengths. Obasanjo is a man who has ruled this country for a combined 11 years so he knows the inner workings of governance including its weaknesses. GEJ should have been wiser.

He was soft when he had to be firm

He could have salvaged a little of what’s left of his already battered image had he left the likes of Oduah, Abba Moro etc out to dry i.e given them up. He could have successfully built an image of a president who did not condone corruption had he done this, thus increasing the confidence the people had in him.

He associated with the STAINED

A leader should never be found associated with the STAINED, Those who have been publicly labeled as corrupt and evil. He associated himself with men who had been indicted, arrested and had one problem or the other with law enforcement thus giving the opposition media fodder and ‘staining’ himself in the process…come on…never play with ink if you have white clothes on.

Marginalizing the South west

Frankly speaking, He should never have marginalized the south-west…For God sake; they control the media and the Judiciary. I am being very realistic; He should have been friends with those with heavy political influence and should have kept them satisfied early enough. He should have sent more developments and foreign investments their way.

Poor Foundations

Apart from politics, when you build a house on poor foundations it will eventually collapse. GEJ had strong foundations in the SE and the SS but did not in the southwest and in the north, the whole Boko Haram/Chibok girls issue coupled with his Luke warmness destroyed the little he had built there.

In Conclusion, the president’s mistakes were numerous but if he had addressed the few stated above, he could have still been Nigeria’s leader today and I urge all aspiring politicians to draw lessons from his shortcomings than criticize him. Never forget…Politics is not for all, it is for a particular breed of human beings….wanna know if you have got what it takes?…..then Follow me on twitter @itsdumebi_

You did well bro but GEJ's problems are more than this.

He has inherent wickedness in him and poor management ability.

His rancour with Amaechi was unnecessary. He excommunicated Amaechi from PDP. He removed him from Gov forum despite winning the election with 19 votes. He used police to harass an executive gov.

That is extreme.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Gamesmart: 4:49pm On Apr 14, 2015
mmsen:

No, it is not.

People (adults and children) voted Buhari into office, not because he has a reputation as an excellent administrator, orator or intellectual but because of his reputation for being honest, his dealings with Abacha notwithstanding.

The argument was made that Jonathan cannot be a good man because of the people in his party and administration.

Buhari has many of the people who were formerly in the PDP in his own party and has men like Tinubu and El-Rufai seemingly in his circle.

So my question is - how can Buhari be a good man when he has so many thieves in his circle?

The question is "Is Jonathan a good man or not".

Not "Is a Jonathan a good man when compared to Buhari, Escobar or Willy Wonka".
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Nobody: 4:49pm On Apr 14, 2015
Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown... sad
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by driand(m): 4:50pm On Apr 14, 2015
His wife is another factor that kicked him out of office.
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Drabrah(m): 4:51pm On Apr 14, 2015
It's actually disheartening dat our president cudn't differentiate is foes frm his friends. Worse still, he doesn't understand d meaning of corruption.
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by imsalus: 4:52pm On Apr 14, 2015
Other mistakes include the followings:-

1. Reliance on People that are just empty and light weighted calling themselves big wigs in politics

2. Chop and chop style of goverance and

3. Allowing coruption to grow uncheched and thereby legalising it.
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by seankay(m): 4:53pm On Apr 14, 2015
Thank God dis man won't be there for another four years. Whew!!
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Gamesmart: 4:53pm On Apr 14, 2015
itsdumebi:

in saying Good man...i mean soft...pls understand

Yes, he is soft, not a good man.

Soft as a result of weakness, lack of confidence, insecurity and probably lack of high intellect.

Not soft as a result of being good or pious, as your write-up might have misled people.

The man is not a good man. He did not mind seeing Nigeria destroyed by selfish interests. And he was willing to help, support and reward these selfish cabal without second thoughts.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by AmaechiLinus(m): 4:53pm On Apr 14, 2015
Mr. Ifeany D. Inasmuch as human needs/ wants differs, u can never please everybody at dsame time. 2ndly, let me remind u of d saying n i quotes " he who tries to please everybody, pleases nobody at d end". In d nutshell, u can't change GEJ 4rm d kind of person he's. Long live GEJ! Long live d president elect GMB! Long live Nigeria!
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by Qmab: 4:53pm On Apr 14, 2015
wonlasewonimi:
Wearing that hat is one of his worst mistake.
...... Lolzzz. i bet everytime you see that hat on his head, you think, 'what a clown'

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by deucelaw: 4:54pm On Apr 14, 2015
thefakestan:
Taking notes , i must admit some valid points were made esp. The "mafian" style approach to the media, but one thing is for sure if he was from the North even with all this he would have gotten enough block votes but unfortunately he's a minority and needed to play ball, upon all what he did for the North, they never saw him as their own and never appreciated him, something he should have reliased and ignored them rather than pampering them and while they were working against him.

North or no North, Politics is Politics, Obasanjo in 1999 got block of his votes from the North and it wasnt his territory, even South west did not vote for him. Jonathan still managed to get considerable votes from the North in 2011, why?... PDP was united and formidable even in the North.

Two important things Jonathan failed to do. 1) His government could not perform reasonably well and 2) He could not still keep his Party structure intact. Imagine If he had Kano and just 2 other Nothern state under his firm grip...

Ofcourse you cant under play the role of Tribal or Regional sentiments as it also reflected in the SS and SE voting patterns for President Jonathan, but even if you cant perform, atleast play your politics well and your numbers would add up.

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by boujaye: 4:54pm On Apr 14, 2015
All what the OP is saying are trash. GEJ has actually put up his best as a president.
He has nothing to loose, after climbing every scale of govt for 16 years.
He is such a nice man who took the sacrifice of uniting Nigeria rather than allowing it to disintegrate, by taking the bow. He has no regret!
You were one of those loud voices noising it that if GEJ must succeed he must not associate with godfathers in person of OBJ,
now you are speaking on the other side of the mouth.

However he plays the card, it is obvious that the Northern Powers and Western Powers wanted him out at all cost with the crave that
power must shift from this minority SS. I agreed that Jona like any other leader made mistakes, but not strong enough to remove him
by such an obvious regional conspiracy to a man who has threaten to make Nigeria ungovernable in 2011 if he loses election, and actually made good his threat. Well as time goes on everything will play out itself.

I still remain submissive to my Presdo, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan until there is enough evidence that the new leader is a truly changed person.
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by duwdu: 4:55pm On Apr 14, 2015
@OP itsdumebi;

I don't even know where to start. But I'll summarize thus: I'm sorry, but if your type of budding politicians and level of analysts are the types the PDP has been breeding, then be rest assured that the PDP as a political party is done for, for a long time to come. No offense.

Good luck!

P34c3
Re: President Jonathan's Mistakes And How He Could Have Remained President by hardbody: 4:56pm On Apr 14, 2015
Gasout:
He(GEJ) never dreamed to be the head of state. He was just too fortunate to be where he is today. So wat good do u expect from a Man who never had plan? If nt for OBJ, GEJ has never be out of Otuoeke, ask reseach

Where did Jonathan study and which universities did he attend. This is a public forum and we should not confuse the younger generation reading posts here just because we want to be popular or score cheap points. He may not have had plans to be president and therefore has it foisted on him but to claim he had never been outside of otuoke is entirely a different ball game. I am not sure the university there has graduated the first set of entrants.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Iara Oshiomhole And Rochas Okorocha In Imo State (Photo) / Photos From Zahra Buhari & Ahmed Indimi's Wedding / Biography Of Prince Clement Agba, A Ministerial Nominee By Buhari (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.