Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,309 members, 7,822,535 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

Examination Malpractice: A Necessary Evil? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Examination Malpractice: A Necessary Evil? (1383 Views)

IMT Masscom Student And Exam Malpractice Skills (pictured) / Exam Malpractice: A Principal's Hilarious Way Of Stopping It In His School / WAEC Dragged To Federal High Court Abuja Over Examination Malpractice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Examination Malpractice: A Necessary Evil? by zinachidi(m): 9:00am On Apr 15, 2015
I have been pondering on this issue for quite some time.

Is malpractice really cheating? Quite frankly, I agree, but I see it as a necessary evil, a means to an end.

Take for example, last year, we had an exam on fluid dynamics. It was a really tough course. I really prepared for this course to the best of my ability believe me. So the exam arrived. They set three questions for us to answer all. Question 1 was compulsory and had 40 marks to it, while the remaining two had 30 marks each.

So I attempted the last two and I was quite sure of the answers. But the first question as really tough. I read it buh I guess I had forgotten the way around the question. Invigilation was tight, turn your head and you will be asked to submit and leave the hall.

So as the devil would have it, there was a material on the course just very close to my feet. Guess someone must have flung it when the hall invigilators were harrying us at the beginning to remove our books and it randomly landed close to me, and I didn't even notice, well thank God no invigilator saw it cos they won't listen to my plea of innocence.

I was at a dilemma. Use the material and be sure of an A, or don't and the best you would get is a C. Mind you this was a 4 unit course.

I couldn't just turn a blind eye to that 'miracle' now could I ?. (c'mon this was 40 marks that we're talking about here) So I used the material to answer the question.

Sure enough when I checked my result the next semester, I had an a A. And it boosted my GP to a high 2'1. 4.1 to be exact. I had mixed feeling. I was happy and I was quite errrm sorry, cos I knew I had cheated. but I was like why should my conscience disturb me (after all I didn't hinder anyone's success to achieve mine, unlike in high school when u cheat and get 1st position, u must have prevented someone who didn't cheat and wrote well from taking his rightful position)

so my fellow nairalanders, I throw this question to u guys. What would u have done in my shoes, be candid. Is malpractice a necessary evil?, A means to an end? Or is it totally wrong no matter the circumstances.

Your opinion is needed.

Cheers..
Re: Examination Malpractice: A Necessary Evil? by AndreRose(f): 9:23am On Apr 15, 2015
Malpractice can be seen in many dimensions. It can come from entering an exam hall with a sheet of paper or textbook, asking your neighbour, going in with your phone to browse the answers, writing on your palm and so on. These malpractices are all punishable when caught. And in no school had this been curbed(I believe) and no matter how strict the invigilators are, one must surely do one out of the malpractices(especially asking your neighbour) So it can be likened as a necessary evil.
However, not all persons does it. Some chose to pass their paper than get caught (when doing one out of the malpractices) and end their years in school just like that while some chose to do one out of the malpractices rather than get a low grade(some students are very smart).
Having said that, 80% of students engage in one out of the malpractices. So to many its a necessary evil but to few it is not.
#myopinion
Re: Examination Malpractice: A Necessary Evil? by YUNGLURD(m): 10:19am On Apr 15, 2015
You cheated but who am I to judge, ur president once said stealing is not corruption..As for me, I don't think I can pick such material on the floor despite the punitive law for malpractice in my sch...I prefer to ask someone to wut u did if the need be.
Re: Examination Malpractice: A Necessary Evil? by YUNGLURD(m): 10:25am On Apr 15, 2015
AndreRose:

Having said that, 80% of students engage in one out of the malpractices. So to many its a necessary evil but to few it is not.
#myopinion
hw did u come abt ur stat?..u can simply put it this way "above 50%".

Nice day
Re: Examination Malpractice: A Necessary Evil? by AndreRose(f): 10:37am On Apr 15, 2015
YUNGLURD:
hw did u come abt ur stat?..u can simply put it this way "above 50%".

Nice day
Okay.
Re: Examination Malpractice: A Necessary Evil? by zinachidi(m): 10:48am On Apr 15, 2015
AndreRose:
Malpractice can be seen in many dimensions. It can come from entering an exam hall with a sheet of paper or textbook, asking your neighbour, going in with your phone to browse the answers, writing on your palm and so on. These malpractices are all punishable when caught. And in no school had this been curbed and no matter how strict the invigilators are, one must surely do one out of the malpractices(especially asking your neighbour) So it can be likened as a necessary evil.
However, not all persons does it. Some chose to pass their paper than get caught (when doing one out of the malpractices) and end their years in school just like that while some chose to do one out of the malpractices rather than get a low grade(some students are very smart).
#myopinion
ok, nice point, buh where do u stand?
Re: Examination Malpractice: A Necessary Evil? by AndreRose(f): 5:13pm On Apr 15, 2015
zinachidi:
ok, nice point, buh where do u stand?
Its not a necessary evil for me
Re: Examination Malpractice: A Necessary Evil? by zinachidi(m): 6:09pm On Apr 15, 2015
AndreRose:

Its not a necessary evil for me
ok, so if u were in my shoes, u wouldnt have used the material right?
Re: Examination Malpractice: A Necessary Evil? by AndreRose(f): 9:38pm On Apr 15, 2015
zinachidi:
ok, so if u were in my shoes, u wouldnt have used the material right?
I will be too scared to use it. And if the exam aint strict I will resort to asking my neighbour. If not, will just write I what think is the answer and then pass.
Re: Examination Malpractice: A Necessary Evil? by zinachidi(m): 10:03pm On Apr 15, 2015
AndreRose:

. If not, will just write I what think is the answer and then pass.
that will be when u have a hint, I didn't in my case. :'
Re: Examination Malpractice: A Necessary Evil? by AndreRose(f): 10:14pm On Apr 15, 2015
zinachidi:
that will be when u have a hint, I didn't in my case. :'
I can only answer if am caught up in the situation.
Re: Examination Malpractice: A Necessary Evil? by dejt4u(m): 10:33pm On Apr 15, 2015
That is cheating.. Stop it..

(1) (Reply)

RAPE: Mad Man Assaults DELSU Student At ATM Centre / I Desperately Need To Connect With A Current 300l Uniben Theatre Arts Student / Meet The Two Female UNILAG Graduates With 5.0 CGPA (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.