Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,458 members, 7,819,669 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

Is Talking To One Self A Sign Of Mental Illness - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is Talking To One Self A Sign Of Mental Illness (1406 Views)

One In Every Four Nigerian Has Mental Disorder - Dr. Vincent Udenze / 7 Health Conditions You Didn't Know Were Mental Health Conditions / Why Do Most Girls Have Virginal Odour? Is It A Sign Of Infection? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Talking To One Self A Sign Of Mental Illness by just2endowed: 6:12pm On Apr 15, 2015
I have a female friend that talk to herself each time task is demanding or when she Is alone in a place. I have seen her many times to her self even when things don't go right and she do it often. So I want to ask if talking often to oneself openly is a sign of mental illness?
Re: Is Talking To One Self A Sign Of Mental Illness by dulux07(m): 6:15pm On Apr 15, 2015
just2endowed:
I have a female friend that talk to herself each time task is demanding or when she Is alone in a place. I have seen her many times to her self even when things don't go right and she do it often. So I want to ask if talking often to oneself openly is a sign of mental illness?
NO
Re: Is Talking To One Self A Sign Of Mental Illness by jhydebaba(m): 6:18pm On Apr 15, 2015
No, it is a sign of good things to come.
Re: Is Talking To One Self A Sign Of Mental Illness by Nobody: 6:34pm On Apr 15, 2015
Ever heard of soliloquy? An act of someone deliberately speaking to his/herself in other to relieve stress or to get over a troubling issue. Its nothing to be scared of, all humans at some point in time have done this, so it`s natural. But when a person tends to overdo it, am afraid, he/she urgently needs to see a doctor or preferably a counsellor.
Re: Is Talking To One Self A Sign Of Mental Illness by HighRoll: 6:35pm On Apr 15, 2015
just2endowed:

I do it myself, but i do my best to make sure am not seen. Its quite weird though.
Re: Is Talking To One Self A Sign Of Mental Illness by nifton(m): 6:37pm On Apr 15, 2015
Thinking aloud.
Re: Is Talking To One Self A Sign Of Mental Illness by adanduka: 6:51pm On Apr 15, 2015
DEPENDS ON WHAT THEY SAY AND HOW THEY SAY IT grin

1 Like

Re: Is Talking To One Self A Sign Of Mental Illness by just2endowed: 7:46pm On Apr 15, 2015
dulux07:

NO

Hmmmm
Re: Is Talking To One Self A Sign Of Mental Illness by just2endowed: 7:47pm On Apr 15, 2015
TheYoungRebel:
Ever heard of soliloquy? An act of someone deliberately speaking to his/herself in other to relieve stress or to get over a troubling issue. Its nothing to be scared of, all humans at some point in time have done this, so it`s natural. But when a person tends to overdo it, am afraid, he/she urgently needs to see a doctor or preferably a counsellor.

But what of if one do it often and often and often. What will it called that
Re: Is Talking To One Self A Sign Of Mental Illness by just2endowed: 7:50pm On Apr 15, 2015
HighRoll:

I do it myself, but i do my best to make sure am not seen. Its quite weird though.

OK. But in a situation when one is talking to one self ans walking same time nko?
Re: Is Talking To One Self A Sign Of Mental Illness by Nobody: 8:19pm On Apr 15, 2015
just2endowed:

But what of if one do it often and often and often. What will it called that
Some may call it madness while others may say its related to some sort of mental illness. Either ways the person doing this should be enlightened and made to see the side effects involved if he does not take a break from this act. It could even lead to depression if not tendered at its early stage.
Re: Is Talking To One Self A Sign Of Mental Illness by HighRoll: 9:08pm On Apr 15, 2015
just2endowed:

OK. But in a situation when one is talking to one self ans walking same time nko?

Doesn't mean the person is mad though, but you may decide to take precautions though. Let her see a doctor
Re: Is Talking To One Self A Sign Of Mental Illness by achinaboy(m): 9:43pm On Apr 15, 2015
depression with no boundry,that is what it's called
Re: Is Talking To One Self A Sign Of Mental Illness by elobyobi: 3:42am On Apr 16, 2015
Simple. She often needs wise counsel on matters arising, and she is the wisest person among her circle of friends. She is surrounded by ildiots. grin
I'm not saying OP is an ildiot *mischievous smile* grin
#im_just_here_to_get_likes grin
Re: Is Talking To One Self A Sign Of Mental Illness by just2endowed: 6:28pm On Apr 16, 2015
OK. Lalisticala why not put on front page. A good psychologist might give a constructive review
Re: Is Talking To One Self A Sign Of Mental Illness by ikelvin(m): 7:31pm On Apr 16, 2015
No. But na so crase dey take start. lipsrsealed
Re: Is Talking To One Self A Sign Of Mental Illness by just2endowed: 6:54pm On Apr 20, 2015
ikelvin:
No. But na so crase dey take start. lipsrsealed

OK I was just asking

(1) (Reply)

Top Foods That Can Improve Your Vision / Sight ( MUST READ) / My Baby Loves Sucker. / Reasons Why You Should Drink Lemon Water Every Morning!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.