Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,170 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:54 AM

So Terrible! How Most International Audience View Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / So Terrible! How Most International Audience View Nigeria (747 Views)

When It Rains In Edo State This Is How Terrible It Is (pics) / Photos: Muslim Woman Gets Kicked Out Of Donald Trump’s Event, Booed By Audience / What Buhari Failed To Tell UK Audience - Femi Fani Kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

So Terrible! How Most International Audience View Nigeria by roughdiamond1: 7:53pm On Apr 15, 2015
Yesterday, General Buhari wrote an article on NewYork Times on how he would combat Boko Haram when he resumes office. You can check the article HERE.

April 14 marked a year that the Chibok girls had being abducted by the notorious Boko Haram group. General Buhari then gave a piece on how he intends to rescue the abducted girls though he was not promising but assuring the girls' parents and the world that he would bring forth strict measures to deal with the Boko Haram sect.

The article was a very thought-full one and very promising.

Commenters all over the world gave their own view of General Buhari's opinion and intended panacea for Nigeria. There was a particular commenter (named Mark Thomason) who saw things in a rather different way. He instead condemned the country and gave a malicious views about what he saw Nigeria to be.

The most interesting part was that, every other commenters shifted grounds and gave this man a good hot chase. Though the responses were articulating and very intellectual but it was a big lash out at the Michigan based commenter (Michigan is a state in US). The man was given a PhD education on what Nigeria is and I'm sure he will never forget it in a hurry. Lol...

This is the response I loved so much. It was from a US citizen living in Abuja. For the first time, I wholeheartedly appreciate being called a Nigerian.

jeff verkouille

Abuja Yesterday

I live in Nigeria and the recent elections just went off without violence, and with a smooth promise of democracy, the first transfer of power from one democratic party to another. Nigeria has its issues, but it is nothing like you describe.

Come visit and we'll have a cold Star beer or a non-alcoholic malt in a beautifully landscaped bush bar wherever you'd like in Abuja (one is seldom more than a few blocks away). You can chat with neatly dressed Nigerians browsing Facebook on their iphones, say hello to well mannered school children (I'm a teacher), and sample some fresh cuisine raised locally (perhaps catfish roasted with peppers and potatoes, or ripe tropical fruit).

Nigeria is many things, not all perfect, but it isn't Hobbesian. On the whole Nigerians are among the kindest, most polite, and friendliest people I've meet in a lifetime of travel. As for living here, I'm American and have a life I could only dream of back in the states.

Here is an excerpt of the comments;

The man who stirred the debate

Mark Thomason

Clawson, MI Yesterday

The creation, maintenance, and meaning of Boko Haram begins and ends with Nigeria. It is a profounding dysfunctional country, and Boko Haram is a symptom more than the problem itself.

That is not to minimize Boko Haram, or justify it, or excuse it. It is to explain that if there was no Boko Haram, there would be something else much like it in its place, because Nigeria is such a mess that there is a place for this in it.

Nigeria barely has a "political life" in the normal meaning of that. It is wild violence, group against group. It is very near a state of nature, the one described by Hobbes as "warre as is of every man against every man" in which life is "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short."

Nigeria is life of mankind "red in tooth and claw" not because of Boko Haram. Boko Haram exists because Nigeria is red in tooth and claw, existing so near Hobbes' state of nature.

The cure for Boko Haram? Build something civilized in Nigeria, instead of the looting and murder that governs across the whole place now.

Continue reading here; http:///1DjC2TH
www.livelifeng.com

Re: So Terrible! How Most International Audience View Nigeria by Tos87(m): 7:54pm On Apr 15, 2015
grin
Re: So Terrible! How Most International Audience View Nigeria by jascon1(m): 7:59pm On Apr 15, 2015
My dear Nigeria is like the mother of corruption n insecurity to the world. Na oil save us o

1 Like

Re: So Terrible! How Most International Audience View Nigeria by rocgirl: 8:22pm On Apr 15, 2015
Yesterday's news..

(1) (Reply)

Just One Phone Call And History Was Made In Nigeria!!! / Jega conducted an election which was fraudulent by all standards- Ladoja / AIT Should Appologise To Peoples GENERAL.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.