Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,714 members, 7,831,255 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. (1224 Views)

Senator Abdulrahman Abubakar Loses Seat To PDP / INEC's Documents May Doom Saraki’s Senatorial Seat - Sahara Reporters / Nigeria Economy In 2015: Fasten Your Seat Belt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by mekaboy(m): 1:24pm On Apr 16, 2015
We all want change, change has come. But we all should knw that change comes with a price. The price is not just going to vote, the price is being able to make the sacrifice needed. Being able to endure the process.

We want a new Nigeria to be burn, Nigeria has taken in by voting buhari into power. Its time to endure the process of pregnancy. This will be a very painful and though experience.

At some point even the pregnant woman wishes the pregnancy would go and let her remain normal. At some point in buhari's administration, even those that voted buhari will hate him. They will feel he is against them. Nigerians will begin to wonder why the govt they voted in to power is making things unbearable for them.

During the election the president of Nigeria tried his best to hide the truth from Nigerians, to enable them vote him again. Even though once in a while you hear okonjo iwealla say there will be though times ahead, but the wave of elections would not let Nigerians understand this.

Even if jonathan won the election, his performance in the next 4years wont be better than the last.

Despite being the largest economy in Africa, the truth is that Nigeria as a country is broke. With the current system, if jonathan won this election, all he would manage to do in the next 4yrs is to pay salaries. No development or maintenance of infrastructure.

I remember when okonjo iweala was newly appointed, she raised 2 major points.

1, one was the cost of governance:- Nigeria uses 80% of what it generates to run the govt, while using 20% for projects. Unfortunately the power to make such changes is not in her hands. Those that benefit from the system are the same people that have the power to change it.

2, she raised the issue of corruption:- this exposed the subsidy fraud and the president attempted to remove it. However once again, those that benefited from the system, financed the protest and made Nigerians believe Gej was against them. This even contributed to the initial demand for change of government.

The truth is that, in as much as buhari means well for Nigeria, he cant achieve 5% of his campaign promises with what is on ground in Nigeria. Where will the money to pay unemployed youths etc come from?
ministry of works budget was slashed from 120 billion or so to 11 billion. This shows that no new roads will be built and the old ones cant be maintained.

Buhari will have 2 options

1, increase taxation:- businesses will cry, some will reduce their staff strength. Others will channel the increased taxes to consumers. This will make the common wonder if they made a mistake voting buhari . Some will eveb say things were cheaper under jonathan, not knowing they would have experienced the same if he continued.

2, Borrow money to start some of the projects:- I believe this decision will go through the senate, and as greedy politicians, they will want to see how it benefits them individually before they approve.

I see buhari doing both option 1 and 2.

Buhari might have to violate some democratic processes to be able to get things right.

He will need to cut down the cost of governance from the federal down to local govts. However the power to slash the fat salaries and allowances of govt officials ls in the hand of those benefiting from it . This might turn the senators against the president. Buhari will have to take drastic measures to subdue them.

Since buhari will not be probing the past administration, those who have benefited from the corrupt system will be able to survive during the harsh or strict govt policies . Its once again the common man that feel the heat.

I believe most Nigerians voted based on party or ethnicity, but the truth is irrespective of your reason for voting, you will feel the heat. God help you if thw individuals you voted in puts themselves before the people. Then you will feel it times 10.

State allocations will be reduced while taxes increase. Those who believe buhari's govt will employ more into the govt should think twice. Govt itself might even lay off staff to survive.

Employment will come from private firms, and unless there is a way to cushion the effect on high taxes, they too might not employ as much. Foreign investment will come in more if buhari is able to subdue those in the house of assembly and reps. This will force them to adjust and align with the plan of this administration.

Buhari will still need the likes of okonjo iweala to assist during this critical times. She was not as effective as Nigerian would have wanted her to be in this administration because

1, Nigerians dont understand her role in govt. they dont know what she has no power over the central bank has no.business in the devaluation and revaluation of naira.

2, her major role is to advice th3 govt on how best to handle their funds and account for spending. Unfortunately all the advises she gave, which Gej was in support of could not be fulfilled because the power to execute them is not 100% in the hands of the president. Because the president wanted to obey the rules of the democratic govt, his hands were tied when the governors , house of reps and national assembly would oppose .

With a president like buhari who might war with them to subdue them to obidence for the interest of the nation. Okonjo iweala or her like will have a bettter environment to work.

I urge Nigerians to prepare for tough times ahead.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by garrix8: 1:32pm On Apr 16, 2015
Nor be only SIT belt, na STAND belt.

First Class Illiterate oaf.

tongue

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by SLIDEwaxie(m): 1:43pm On Apr 16, 2015
This ur English ma na nuke!
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by mekaboy(m): 1:43pm On Apr 16, 2015
garrix8:
Nor be only SIT belt, na STAND belt.

First Class Illiterate oaf.

tongue

Lol, na my phone suggestion make the mistake. sorry.
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by mekaboy(m): 1:46pm On Apr 16, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:
This ur English ma na nuke!

Abeg pardon any errors. Na phone ibuse type. when i read from pc i will correct.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by sammyj: 1:48pm On Apr 16, 2015
This is story for the gods. OPs please forget about GEJ this and GEJ that and let the sleeping dogs lay. And who told you GEJ himself was not benefiting from the corruption Madam Ngozi highlighted in the past . Please once again let the sleeping dogs lay.
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by tit(f): 1:49pm On Apr 16, 2015
sit belt will not help.
buhari will drive nigeria over the cliff.
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by nortcentrallord(m): 1:51pm On Apr 16, 2015
Op, You are a brilliant young man. Am impressed some Nigerians still think straight.

The guy who commented 1st calling you an Oaf just showed his ignorance on matters of government, democracy, economy and the present day Nigerian reality. Instead of learning, he chose to disgrace himself with his comment.
Well, When it goes beyond shouting of Apc and Pdp, some Nigerians just become irrelevant.
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by osile2012: 2:13pm On Apr 16, 2015
[size=15pt]Interesting. Have to save now for the rainy day, till i understand the policies of the new govt ooo. [/size]
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by stevecantrell: 2:26pm On Apr 16, 2015
No doubt, the tax issue isn't going to make the incoming govt popular.
The elites will have a soft money cushion to lean on.
ordinary citizens will be left out in the cold...as usual.
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by HzRF(m): 2:37pm On Apr 16, 2015
1)u can't tell me Nigeria is broke/indebt until itz officially announced
2)Buahri should not joke with inflation becuz Ngozi has done well and keep it at bay.inflation should be decrease or status quo mmaintained
3)he should forget politics there are projects he must continue with lyk d agricultural sector ,industrial city,2nd Niger Bridge,manufacturing industries, development made so far in our textile industry nd so on
4)He should appoint those that hold aligence to him alone in sensitive position..if he likes reduce cost of gov to 3% if those ministers and aide hold aligence to a corrupt man it still won't work
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by phelps007: 2:40pm On Apr 16, 2015
Cutting down the cost of governance alone will go a long way helpful to save huge amount of money that can be used to attend to other pressing national issues.

Op, We know it's not going to be a easy, nothing good comes easy but am sure it won't be as bad as you have painted it here.

GMB won't come up with any policy that will frustrate the poor Nigerians even more, he is far more intelligent that that.

GMB knows what the present situation in Nigeria is, I know he's going to start by leading by example by first reducing the number of aircrafts in the presidential fleet for example.

I listened to GEJ on the morning of the gubernatorial elections at his otuoke home when he was asked about the whereabout of his wife. He said his wife should join him soon and that she took another aircraft different from the one he took apparently from Abuja to the same location which was port harcourt. A president cannot continue living that large at the expense of the country's survival and expect things to get better, Nigeria as a country cannot afford that luxury. We need to tell ourselves the truth.
I heard there are up to 11 aircrafts in our presidential fleet. I also read in the dailies there is a budget for a brand new one in this year's budget as presented before the national assembly.

GMB is going to start reducing the cost of governance from his own office and hopeful, other well meaning Nigerian office holders will take a cue.
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by Nobody: 3:02pm On Apr 16, 2015
Whenever I hear of this incoming govt's plan on taxation, I remember Tinubu's company - Alpha beta. We will be watching.
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by mekaboy(m): 3:12pm On Apr 16, 2015
phelps007:
Cutting down the cost of governance alone will go a long way helpful to save huge amount of money that can be used to attend to other pressing national issues.

Op, We know it's not going to be a easy, nothing good comes easy but am sure it won't be as bad as you have painted it here.

It could be worse.
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by garrix8: 3:14pm On Apr 16, 2015
mekaboy:

Lol, na my phone suggestion make the mistake. sorry.

OK.

Next time shine ya eye, shine am well well..

Look ya back, look am well well...

Standi well, standi well well.. .
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by mekaboy(m): 3:15pm On Apr 16, 2015
HzRF:
1)u can't tell me Nigeria is broke/indebt until itz officially announced
2)Buahri should not joke with inflation becuz Ngozi has done well and keep it at bay.inflation should be decrease or status quo mmaintained
3)he should forget politics there are projects he must continue with lyk d agricultural sector ,industrial city,2nd Niger Bridge,manufacturing industries, development made so far in our textile industry nd so on
4)He should appoint those that hold aligence to him alone in sensitive position..if he likes reduce cost of gov to 3% if those ministers and aide hold aligence to a corrupt man it still won't work

If u had a family of 5 to take care of and u earned 154k a month. And your family complained of lack. If ur salary is now reduced to 54k r you not broke?
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by phelps007: 3:22pm On Apr 16, 2015
mekaboy:

It could be worse.

Am hopeful the Change promised Nigerians won't be from this situation we are now to worse.

It won't be worse. I believe
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by mekaboy(m): 3:30pm On Apr 16, 2015
phelps007:

Am hopeful the Change promised Nigerians won't be from this situation we are now to worse.

It won't be worse. I believe

It will get worse first before it gets better.
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by Nobody: 3:44pm On Apr 16, 2015
OP,
The e-war lords will demand for your head for daring to state the ugly truth!
Many of them simply believe Buhari will do some magic, please dot dampen their dreams.
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by obailala(m): 3:47pm On Apr 16, 2015
mekaboy:

2[b]she raised the issue of corruption:- this exposed the subsidy fraud and the president attempted to remove it. However once again, those that benefited from the system, financed the protest and made Nigerians believe Gej was against them. This even contributed to the initial demand for change of government.[/b]
Your write-up makes a lot of sense but can you please knock off this erroneous reasoning which I have highlighted in RED above.

Be it in Nigeria or anywhere at all in the world, how can the government suddenly increase pump price of fuel by almost 120% (N65 to N142) and you expect people not to protest?... Even during the times when OBJ effected an increase of just N5, we had massive protests. Now the government increases fuel price by almost 120% and someone actually believes the protests were financed?.... This reasoning utterly ridiculous!
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by austinsmat(m): 4:34pm On Apr 16, 2015
pls pa buhari why didn't u say all this things in his campaign you told us that you will make 1 naira to1 dollar pay us 5k if we elect you and our suffer ness will go pls why changing now better come and complete what you started ooo don't come with this sit belt style
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by baralatie(m): 4:59pm On Apr 16, 2015
tit:
sit belt will not help.
buhari will drive nigeria over the cliff.
parachute no!
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by baralatie(m): 5:00pm On Apr 16, 2015
austinsmat:
pls pa buhari why didn't u say all this things in his campaign you told us that you will make 1 naira to1 dollar pay us 5k if we elect you and our suffer ness will go pls why changing now better come and complete what you started ooo don't come with this sit belt style
them don't denial their talk o!
Re: Nigerians Fasten Your Seat Belts. by mekaboy(m): 9:59pm On Apr 16, 2015
austinsmat:

Neither buhari or jonathan would say such during campign. But buhari once said he will inherit an empty treasury.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Meets & Shakes Man Who Trekked From Lagos To Abuja (photos) / PHOTOS!!! Man Gets Attacked And Gored In The Butt By A Furious Raging BULL / Fuel Crisis Cripples Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.