Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,925 members, 7,814,110 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:00 AM

Free Education: Constitution Amendment Bill Was Dubious – Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Free Education: Constitution Amendment Bill Was Dubious – Jonathan (812 Views)

Public Procurement Amendment Bill Passed By Senate / Lawyers To Sue NASS On CCB/CCT Amendment Bill / Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Free Education: Constitution Amendment Bill Was Dubious – Jonathan by millsruns: 1:48pm On Apr 16, 2015
President Goodluck Jonathan who declined to assent to the constitutional amendment Bill passed by the two chambers of the National Assembly has explained in clear terms on Wednesday why the so called amendment did not receive a nod from the Presidency.

The two chambers of the National Assembly had recommended the reduction of the 60 days allowed for the President to give assent to a bill to 30 days. read more on http:///LIYK

Re: Free Education: Constitution Amendment Bill Was Dubious – Jonathan by ozoigbondu: 1:57pm On Apr 16, 2015
tongue
Re: Free Education: Constitution Amendment Bill Was Dubious – Jonathan by Truckpusher(m): 2:01pm On Apr 16, 2015
Still the good man refused to allow these fat cats have their way - If he was such a wicked man ,he will just sign them and sit back and watch Buhari suffer from the effect of making the Nigerian Presidential seat a rubber stamp thing.

2 Likes

Re: Free Education: Constitution Amendment Bill Was Dubious – Jonathan by jpphilips(m): 2:04pm On Apr 16, 2015
I think you guys should listen to this okey guy on this issue

"Omololu Ogunmade's report here that the President had signed but later withdrew his assent because of advisers who pretended to be working for the President's interest is one of the most thoughtless reports I have seen in recent time. It cannot be differentiated from one of those "highly informed" opinions usually expressed in most liquor parlours in Nigeria.

This is even more the time to commend Jonathan for acting most statesmanly - removing personal interest, vindictiveness and "let them be caught in their own trap" mentality - in his most crucial final national assignment in office. Let me explain: One of the most ridiculous amendment proposed by the National Assembly was the one that says, once the assemblies agree on amendment of any section of the Constitution, the presidential assent shall stand discarded. The primary target in that proposition was Jonathan himself. They thought that Jonathan was going to manipulate his way back to office and therefore sought to create certain legal structures and lay landmines that will severely whittle his presidential powers and effectiveness. The lawmakers deceived themselves that they were copying America but without first asking themselves whether ours is exactly America's history. That's a facade, their main and only reason was to hamstring Jonathan. If Jonathan is not a statesman to the core, or were he made in the mold of his opponents, he would have rushed to sign an amendment that will tie Buhari's hand or make his office almost meaningless when he assumes it, knowing he (Buhari) belongs to the same party as most of the legislators, and because Jonathan has NOTHING PERSONAL to loose or gain if he signs it. But that's not Jonathan.

I think rather than walking on that notorious path of "advisers that misled Jonathan," serious journalists should look at the bigger picture which is Nigeria, a picture that Jonathan has considered over and above his personal interest. A serious journalist should begin to write on why "patriotic" legislators refused to guarantee local government autonomy which Nigerians trooped out to the Senate/House public hearings to demand but rushed to propose amendment which rubbishes the seal of the number one office in this country. Were Jonathan to be vindictive and not a statesman, he would have sigend the bill. The legislators left existential issues that place challenges on our corportae existence but embarked on issues of supremacy of power between the Executive and the Legislature. Jonathan did the right thing by rejecting to leave a booby trap for the incoming President. He should be commended, not redicled with beer parlour narratives."

The legislators would have crippled Buhari and the much desired change will not be felt by the people, they wanted to indirectly create a state where thieving legislators will be calling the shots and the president their madam.
This can also be interpreted that Buhari is determined to cut down the NA budget, by indirectly sending a budget message of high recurrent expenditure, the NA actually wanted to block that move with this Constitutional amendment knowing that Jonathan has nothing to loose and may be tempted to seek revenge for his defeat.
First time in 5yrs Jonathan has impressed me!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Free Education: Constitution Amendment Bill Was Dubious – Jonathan by pussyphilia(m): 2:05pm On Apr 16, 2015
GEJ will always remain my President!

1 Like

Re: Free Education: Constitution Amendment Bill Was Dubious – Jonathan by HzRF(m): 2:07pm On Apr 16, 2015
sign this thing and let buahri govt start dealing with d fact DAT they must pay each month

But gej isn't desperate at all
Re: Free Education: Constitution Amendment Bill Was Dubious – Jonathan by Bashirfuntua(m): 2:16pm On Apr 16, 2015
hmm
Re: Free Education: Constitution Amendment Bill Was Dubious – Jonathan by Nobody: 2:20pm On Apr 16, 2015
I need some course on law and politics. ....Obviously. ....

These are the issues that shall matter most.....
Re: Free Education: Constitution Amendment Bill Was Dubious – Jonathan by okunboy: 2:59pm On Apr 16, 2015
This is act of the President beats Nigeria Politics hands down.......Sir! I have never been your supporter...., But seriously; I doff my Hat! A true Nigerian, A true Leader you are!

(1) (Reply)

Now That A Woman Is The Governor / Court Orders Extradition To UK Of Ex-mint Boss, Emmanuel Okoyomon / Why Can't Amnesty Funds Be Used For Construction & Provide Employment?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.