Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Bloggers And Webmasters - Here Is Everything You Need To Know About Wordpress! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Bloggers And Webmasters - Here Is Everything You Need To Know About Wordpress! (753 Views)

All Bloggers and Webmasters need this tool on their sites - (very Important) / [SHOCKING]: 4 Things You Probably Never Knew About ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bloggers And Webmasters - Here Is Everything You Need To Know About Wordpress! by sunnedee: 8:23am On Apr 17, 2015
In response to the requests made by some peeps here on NL and sequel to this thread here:

https://www.nairaland.com/2250256/wordpress-gurus-needed-me-design#32770795

I have decided to put up this thread where I share everything (a large percentage anyway) that I know about WordPress. (Self Hosted WordPress).

I will be dropping relevant links to necessary resources.

Thank you.

NOTE: If you would like to be notified by Email whenever there is a new post CLICK HERE and enter your Email join my mailing list
Re: Bloggers And Webmasters - Here Is Everything You Need To Know About Wordpress! by sunnedee: 8:45am On Apr 17, 2015
How To Install WordPress Locally on Your Computer

There are many reasons why you may need to install WordPress locally amongst which is the fact that you can test your themes and plugins locally before using them on a live website. this prevents you from breaking your WordPress website and get yourself into a lot of trouble. Anyway, this post is concerned with "how".

If you want to know why you need to install WordPress locally click here.

REQUIREMENTS

WAMP SERVER:

Wordpress is composed of PHP files which run on a server. Without a server, your web browser will not be able to process the PHP files which is normally provided by a webhosting company hence the need for a local server that resided on your computer. Also, you will need a database to store your WordPress Information, posts, etc. All these is handled by your local server. I have been using WAMP for years and have no problem with it at all.

Click here for the full post and the download link to WAMP server

Full meaning of WAMP (Windows Apache MySql, PHP).
From that you should be able to infer the functions from the acronym.

Also, you can use XAMPP and and other local servers. They all perform the same function.

The WAMP server mimics your website host (if it were a live installation online) and should be started every time you want to run your WordPress website on your computer.

WORDPRESS INSTALLATION FILES

These are the actual files that powers your website. They can be downloaded in zip format from the WordPress repository. Once downloaded, keep it somewhere on your hard drive for now (preferably on the desktop temporarily)

Click here for the full post and the download link to latest verssion of wordpress
Wordpress.org (if you dont want to go through the link above cool

THEMES

Themes are the templates that determine the look and feel of your website. There are a lot of free themes out there but I prefer themes with the following attributes:

Responsive (displays and adapts to mobile devices very well)
No limited edition (where you have to purchase a premium version for full capabilities)
Available for download on the WordPress website
Updated regularly.

If you can find a theme with these properties, then you are good to go.

PLUGINS:

Depending on your personal needs and what you will use the site for, the plugins you are going to need differs. But the basic ones that I normally use are:

Yoast SEO (This plugin lets you tweak the meat description, heading and other SEO attributes of your posts and pages)
newsletter plugin (optional)
WP Editor (changes the default plugin and theme editor interface to one with line numbers so that you can easily edit your themes and plugins). Useful with firebug when modifying your theme.

You are free to add to the list.

Contributions are welcome

2 Likes

Re: Bloggers And Webmasters - Here Is Everything You Need To Know About Wordpress! by babatundeizbad(m): 9:04am On Apr 17, 2015
Nice thread, I am a beginner blogger myself with a strong preference for WordPress.
I found the Backup WordPress plugin very useful and the Simple Tags plugin quite useful too
Re: Bloggers And Webmasters - Here Is Everything You Need To Know About Wordpress! by Royalization(m): 3:52am On Apr 18, 2015
Thank you SunnyDee ..i understood what you said earlier. Saw this thread on the former thread i created! If you can still remember i mentioned about my plugin missing in the menu and there was a recommendation that i buy a hosting plan that it went out due to the fact that am using the free version of WordPress. Wanna use HostGator. How do i connect it to my WordPress . Thanks
Re: Bloggers And Webmasters - Here Is Everything You Need To Know About Wordpress! by sunnedee: 2:49pm On Apr 18, 2015
Royalization:
Thank you but but did SunnyDee ..i understood really what you said earlier. Saw this thread on the former thread i created! If you can still remember i mentioned about my plugin missing in the menu and there was a recommendation that i buy a hosting plan that it went out due to the fact that am using the free version of WordPress. Wanna use HostGator. How do i connect it to my WordPress . Thanks

Most Web hosting companies have softaculous which can be used to install many scripts and Web softwares.

I haven't used hostgator but it's the same with all Web hosts. You can install WordPress and import your previous blog with the import/export option.

NOT: I haven't used that option with but it should work.

Don't forget install WordPress on your host and use import/export option to import your existing blog. Hope that helps.

(1) (Reply)

Ecommerce Platforms Ready To Sell Fuel Online / Nairagigs.com For Sale....intrested? / I Need A Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.