Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,108 members, 7,828,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:00 PM

Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors (4324 Views)

Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) / 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Nobody: 7:57pm On Apr 17, 2015
Go to the bar and take one beer - conventionally 'to take' means to steal (I got in trouble for this in England). Instead say Go to the bar and have a beer or Go get a drink off the bar
LOL!

Trust me, your correction also sound like "stealing" in Nigerian context of English grammar.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Rilwayne001: 9:05pm On Apr 17, 2015
"Gbagaun" detected.
Hila12:

When are you going to go to Abuja - When do you leave for Abuja or When are you going/headed Abuja [/color]

The word "to" is missing in the underlined.
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Nobody: 9:16pm On Apr 17, 2015
Rilwayne001:
"Gbagaun" detected.

That's not gbagaun but typographical error.

Grammatical error = gbagaun
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Hila12(m): 9:18pm On Apr 17, 2015
Rilwayne001:
"Gbagaun" detected.

I knew someone would spot that lol. The omission of 'to' is deliberate and is very common in mainstream conversations. For example, we going New York for holidays or we headed Calabar in half an hour

Great observation. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Hila12(m): 9:23pm On Apr 17, 2015
FrancisTony:

LOL!

Trust me, your correction also sound like "stealing" in Nigerian context of English grammar.

Sounds like lol. But too many times I got in trouble for using 'take' in public on holidays. Nice observation though.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Rilwayne001: 9:23pm On Apr 17, 2015
FrancisTony:

That's not gbagaun but typographical error.

Grammatical error = gbagaun

Okay.

I'm yet to see the word "gbagaun" in my dictionary.
So where is your source for the bolded?
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Rilwayne001: 9:26pm On Apr 17, 2015
Hila12:

I knew someone would spot that lol. The omission of 'to' is deliberate and is very common in mainstream conversations. For example, we going New York for holidays or we headed Calabar in half an hour

Great observation. Cheers.

smiley

Do you drink "orijin"?
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Hila12(m): 9:29pm On Apr 17, 2015
Rilwayne001:

smiley

Do you drink "orijin"?

Yes I do, and better brands too lol.
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Nobody: 9:36pm On Apr 17, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Okay.

I'm yet to see the word "gbagaun" in my dictionary.
So where is your source for the bolded?
It's not an English word.
It's a slang

http://www.google.com/m?q=Translate%20gbagaun%20to%20english&client=ms-opera-mini&channel=new
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Rilwayne001: 9:39pm On Apr 17, 2015
FrancisTony:

It's not an English word.
It's a slang

http://www.google.com/m?q=Translate%20gbagaun%20to%20english&client=ms-opera-mini&channel=new

All right. smiley
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Rilwayne001: 9:42pm On Apr 17, 2015
Hila12:

Yes I do, and better brands too lol.

grin grin

all right.
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by ednut1(m): 9:48pm On Apr 17, 2015
minced pie nt meat pie
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by MrsAnyanwu(f): 11:24pm On Apr 17, 2015
Instead of some of u to appreciate d op, u guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill, op I appreciate this thread, I learnt a lot , tnx ....

1 Like

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Hila12(m): 12:37am On Apr 18, 2015
MrsAnyanwu:
Instead of some of u to appreciate d op, u guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill, op I appreciate this thread, I learnt a lot , tnx ....

Thank you very much madam. We all learn from one another. Cheers.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Conversation Between A Marlian Student And Lecturer / Imagine What Will Happen To Tony Elumelu... / Ebola Kit For School Children; Nothing Nigerians Will Not Sell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.