Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,771 members, 7,851,635 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:10 AM

Switching To Digital Broadcasting - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Switching To Digital Broadcasting (671 Views)

Digital Broadcasting Launched In Abuja; Residents To Get 30 Free TV Channels / BBC To Launch Broadcasting Services In Yoruba And Pidgin / NBC Releases List Of Media Houses That Breached Broadcasting Code (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Switching To Digital Broadcasting by gemiclem(m): 6:27pm On Apr 17, 2015
ive heard that we would be switching to digital, I just want to be more enlightened about it tried googling but its too complex for my understanding
Re: Switching To Digital Broadcasting by naptu2: 6:49am On Apr 19, 2015
gemiclem:
ive heard that we would be switching to digital, I just want to be more enlightened about it tried googling but its too complex for my understanding

What do you want to know about it?
Re: Switching To Digital Broadcasting by lynx200(m): 9:55am On Apr 19, 2015
Re: Switching To Digital Broadcasting by gemiclem(m): 10:22am On Apr 19, 2015
naptu2:

What do you want to know about it?

anything and everything
Re: Switching To Digital Broadcasting by naptu2: 12:35pm On Apr 19, 2015
The problem.

Analog radio and television spectrum that's used by free to air stations in Nigeria is limited.

For example, if you take an old radio set, you'll see that its FM frequency range is from 76-108mghz. This means the number of radio stations that can be established in a place (eg, Lagos) is limited to the number of stations you can fit in between 76-108mghz. So you cannot have 100 FM stations in Lagos because the spectrum is not broad enough to accommodate it.

It also means that you will have situations in which a radio station's frequency might interfere with another's. For example, Cool FM 96.9's signal might interfere with Classic FM 97.3 because both stations are close to each other.

The solution.

Digital broadcasting allows you to use the spectrum more efficiently. With digital broadcasting, you can have more than a hundred channels on one slot on your tv or radio. The spectrum is utilised in such a way that the stations would not interfere with each other. Think of DSTV.

The new problem.

Digital signals cannot be utilised by regular analog radio and tv sets. You would need to buy a set-top-box (kind of like your satellite tv decoder) to view or listen to digital tv or radio programmes.

Many countries signed an agreement that they will switch over to digital broadcasting by June 2015. Part of the agreement states that all analog transmissions will cease at this time. That means that you won't be able to watch or listen to free to air stations like NTA2 Channel 5, Channels TV, Cool FM, etc with your current analog tv and radio sets.

The NBC has been saying (since 2006) that Nigeria will be ready for the change over. They say that they will provide free or subsidised set-top-boxes to anyone that needs them. I don't believe them.

The NTA on the other hand is (I believe) ready for the transition. They've bought digital transmitters and created several new stations (sports, news, languages, etc) in preparation for the transition.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Popular 1992 Classic 'sister Act' Remake In The Works / Any Good Animated Or Comedy Films ?? Anyone? / Dear Nollywood, Before Your Next Movie, Consult A Media Planning Director

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.