Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,205 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:37 AM

Apc To Shutdown Mtn, Shoprite , Dstv And Other South African Business In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Apc To Shutdown Mtn, Shoprite , Dstv And Other South African Business In Nigeria (1823 Views)

Xenophobic Attack: Niger Delta Militants Threaten To Shutdown MTN, Dstv, Others / Nigerian Senate May Expel DSTV, MTN, Shoprite Over Xenophobic Attacks / NLC Sends Letter To Government Agencies To Shutdown On Wednesday 18th(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apc To Shutdown Mtn, Shoprite , Dstv And Other South African Business In Nigeria by sheedy407(m): 10:41am On Apr 18, 2015
The South African government has been given 48 hours to stop xenophobic attacks on foreign nationals and their shops or else their companies abroad will be shut down.

An official with the newly elected All Progressive Congress (APC), Tolu Adesanya, confirmed to eNCA that they handed down a memorandum to the South African embassy in Lagos on Wednesday.

In the memorandum, the APC party officials and members of civil society groups have demanded that South Africa take swift action against attacks on foreign nationals.

Adesanya said that Nigeria will shut down South African businesses if their demands are not met by South Africa.

“We actually handed a letter to the South African embassy yesterday, making them aware that we are not happy with what is going on in South Africa. Should there be any more attacks, we are going to shut down South African businesses in Nigeria. That is MTN, Multi Choice, Shoprite etc,” said APC official Tolu Adesanya.

APC officials and civil rights groups planned to march to a South African embassy on Thursday.

Thursday’s march has been supported by African Diaspora Forum.

ADF’s Vice Chairman Jean-Pierre Lukamba told eNCA that “actually they (Nigerians) don’t have a choice”.

South African companies in other African countries include cellphone company MTN, retail giant Shoprite, and satellite TV provider Multi Choice among others.

Cement Company AfriSam has branches in Tanzania, Uganda, Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland and other countries.

MTN’s Group Executive for Corporate Affairs in South Africa said that the South African mobile company “is condemning what is happening in South Africa.”

“MTN cannot condone any acts of violence against any people be it foreign nationals. We believe that more could still be done to ensure general safety of people in South Africa,” said MTN’s group Executive for Corporate Affairs, Chris Maroleng.

Markets and Investment analyst Clive Ramathibela-Smith has said that attacks on foreign owned businesses could lead to a serious crisis.

“Foreign investment is very critical. Based on our GDP, South Africa receives over half a trillion rands of foreign investments on yearly basis. That means that when we actually don’t look good to the international market that we have a problem to answer to other foreign countries.”

An associate Professor at Wits’ school of Economic and Business Sciences, Chris William Callaghan, said xenophobia is sending a message that the world should stop investing in South Africa.

In other words,ff @sheedy407 with just a mention u r frm NL,u get an istant gift.
Re: Apc To Shutdown Mtn, Shoprite , Dstv And Other South African Business In Nigeria by Acekidc4(m): 10:43am On Apr 18, 2015
Good Move Jagaban!!
Re: Apc To Shutdown Mtn, Shoprite , Dstv And Other South African Business In Nigeria by Basildvalour(m): 10:44am On Apr 18, 2015
Is it just now we intend starting our own Xenophobia on the actual "xenophobias?"

But that wouldn't be the best idea of combating this challenge...
Re: Apc To Shutdown Mtn, Shoprite , Dstv And Other South African Business In Nigeria by vislabraye(m): 10:45am On Apr 18, 2015
This is a good move if carried out. Now letnus see 2ho will suffer. With the billions MTN is making every month, atleast the spoils would be channelled to Glo and the rest.

1 Like

Re: Apc To Shutdown Mtn, Shoprite , Dstv And Other South African Business In Nigeria by Jlow2: 10:46am On Apr 18, 2015
i dont know what gej is waiting for,we dont need to set up any commitee before we teach dis south africans ingrates a bitter lesson.
Re: Apc To Shutdown Mtn, Shoprite , Dstv And Other South African Business In Nigeria by kodded(m): 10:59am On Apr 18, 2015
Hmmm
Re: Apc To Shutdown Mtn, Shoprite , Dstv And Other South African Business In Nigeria by dedollarman(m): 11:16am On Apr 18, 2015
[quote author=Jlow2 post=32848800]i dont know what gej is waiting for,we dont need to set up any commitee before we teach dis south africans ingrates a bitter lesson.[/quote

Gej is busy packing
Buhari will handle the matter come may 29
Re: Apc To Shutdown Mtn, Shoprite , Dstv And Other South African Business In Nigeria by themonk(m): 11:17am On Apr 18, 2015
i still have some important videos to download with my MTN cheat, they should give me more time.
they can shut down dstv and most importantly shoprite, somr girls want to extort me on sunday.
Re: Apc To Shutdown Mtn, Shoprite , Dstv And Other South African Business In Nigeria by abduljabbar4(m): 11:32am On Apr 18, 2015
No source but I think they deserve it. Life isn't good without friends and enemies. Africans should unite and cripple their businesses. Let them eat the corpse of the people they killed
Re: Apc To Shutdown Mtn, Shoprite , Dstv And Other South African Business In Nigeria by sherrylo: 11:32am On Apr 18, 2015
We chased Baclays bank out of Nigeria just to show solidarity with this useless s/a now imagine what those slave people are doing to their fellow black man
Re: Apc To Shutdown Mtn, Shoprite , Dstv And Other South African Business In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:37am On Apr 18, 2015
Since when is the apc the government of Nigeria? Are they allowed to make decisions for the president now? The audacity of these folks tho...need I remind you that Mr. Buhari's main stronghold is war against indiscipline...which includes loud mouthed folks like his party members.
Re: Apc To Shutdown Mtn, Shoprite , Dstv And Other South African Business In Nigeria by abduljabbar4(m): 11:38am On Apr 18, 2015
Igbos you see the people we call leaders?
Most of the Nigerians in south Africa are igbo but they rubbished the hatred you have for them and are now up for you.

I'm still waiting for GEJ to make a statement
Re: Apc To Shutdown Mtn, Shoprite , Dstv And Other South African Business In Nigeria by fkaz(m): 12:03pm On Apr 18, 2015
Acekidc4:
Good Move Jagaban!!

tongue
Re: Apc To Shutdown Mtn, Shoprite , Dstv And Other South African Business In Nigeria by iamrealdeji(m): 2:05pm On Apr 18, 2015
themonk:
i still have some important videos to download with my MTN cheat, they should give me more time.
they can shut down dstv and most importantly shoprite, somr girls want to extort me on sunday.
Lmao,omokomo

(1) (Reply)

American Explain Its Position On Nigeria's Ant-gay Law With Obama Kissing His SA / Washington: U.S. To Sell Apache Attack Helicopters To Nigeria / Saraki Vs CCT: Lawyers Flay Senate President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.