Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,151 members, 7,867,348 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 02:19 PM

Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup - Sports (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (84374 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / 2015 Women's Afrobasket: D'Tigress On The March / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jun 10, 2015
CFCfan. Please watz d result of Austrialia, usa match?
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Lilboots(m): 8:55pm On Jun 10, 2015
blueto:
CFCfan. Please watz d result of Austrialia, usa match?

USA 3 Australia 1

Nig Vs Australia (yet to be played)
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:56pm On Jun 10, 2015
dodobytes:

If this is truly from our coach,then i am afraid,very afraid.

We did not make any substitutions and that is because the girl are fit

Even if they are battery operated,they still need rest,We are mighty glad the girls are fit,and would like you to keep them in tip-top shape so that they can go far in the tournament.Secondly,substitutions arent made because players get tired only,its a tactical maneovre to turn things in your favour and counter your opponents.

I didn’t know anything about Sweden before the game. However, all I need to know about a team is just by watching them in the opening five minutes

I hope you are seriously kidding me bro,i hope this is a ploy to make you look like a really smart coach,cos if this is the truth i am shocked!..you and your team had more than 6months to prepare for the biggest tournament of your careers and there was no scouting done on your opponents?..no video tapes watched?..no dossier compiled on your opponents strengths and weaknesses.So we should rely on your magical powers that in 5mins all the teams strength and weaknesses becomes bare before you.

I also don’t know anything about the Australian team we will play next but it is a must win game

Dear Coach i appeal to you,football has gone beyond this your level of operation,so many things go into preparing for a match,and i am afraid that this is not the way to go.

Also what if the team decides to present a pattern of play in the first 5-10 minutes different from what they originally plan to play hence you have already announced that your preparation for your opponents is based on that?
Of what use is the Pro-zone Match Analysis Software that NFF was said to acquire?
I just have to console my self with this conclusion that Coach Okon only wants to play mind games with his opponents.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jun 10, 2015
Lilboots:

USA 3 Australia 1

Nig Vs Australia (yet to be played)
thanks.
But I'am a sport pundit/enthusiast, I'm already aware Nigeria is anticipated to play against d Austrialians.
I appreciated d result notification.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:15pm On Jun 10, 2015
Before the opening group matches of the women world cup, this thread was so lively. Most of us who checked in here regularly were so surprised to see the passion with which friends here analyzed in anticipation the Superfalcon's chances of making it big in this tournament. Why is it that the house is so empty now that the real deal has began. We just have to give a fair share of our support to all our national teams.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:41pm On Jun 10, 2015
FIFA World Cup: Don’t Put Pressure on Falcons — ex-Nigerian International, Madu.
Former Super Falcons midfielder, Maureen Madu, has warned Nigerians not to heap unnecessary pressure on Falcons playing at the ongoing FIFA Women’s World cup in Canada.
“We don’t need to put pressure on the players” she warned. “Let us think of Australia first, we are meeting first before we talk about USA,” she told PREMIUM TIMES.
Madu, who is the most capped Falcons players with 101 games appearance, said the games against USA, the number one female football team in the world, will be a difficult one.
“It is going to be a difficult game but I think we should take one game at a time. I think their fighting spirit against Sweden was fantastic and I congratulate them because they did well”.
Madu, currently a football coach in Norway, advised the girls not to be in a haste to leave the box when on the field of play and to also work more on their defence.
“We have to put a taller player to go for the ball during corners then the rest of the player should mark, follow their runs, don’t stand and watch them.
“We should also not be in a haste to go out of the 18 yards until the ball has been kicked out, and to defend together as a team after we finish the attack,” she explained.
Falcons will play Australia at 9 p.m. on Friday.
www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/184784-fifa-world-cup-dont-put-pressure-on-falcons-ex-nigerian-international-madu.html

2 Likes

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:43pm On Jun 10, 2015
Sweden Were Just Lucky, says Okobi.
Super Falcons ace Ngozi Okobi, who was voted player of the game in a six-goal thriller against Sweden, has said the Swedes were lucky to escape with the draw as they were not better than the Nigerians.
Ngozi Okobi
Okobi, who scored Super Falcons first goal in the spirited comeback, said costly mistakes on the part of the team gifted Sweden a point.
“We went into the game with the aim and determination to beat Sweden. It was not as if they played better than us, they were just lucky not to lose the game, they got their goals due to the costly mistakes we made,” Okobi said.
The Delta Queens player scored a goal and assisted Francisca Ordega for the third goal with a sublime pass.
Nigeria face Australia in their next group game on Friday.
www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/sweden-were-just-lucky-says-okobi/

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 10:30pm On Jun 10, 2015
SuperFalcons in Training ahead of Australia clash..

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Emmzyst: 11:09pm On Jun 10, 2015
dodobytes:

If this is truly from our coach,then i am afraid,very afraid.

We did not make any substitutions and that is because the girl are fit

Even if they are battery operated,they still need rest,We are mighty glad the girls are fit,and would like you to keep them in tip-top shape so that they can go far in the tournament.Secondly,substitutions arent made because players get tired only,its a tactical maneovre to turn things in your favour and counter your opponents.

I didn’t know anything about Sweden before the game. However, all I need to know about a team is just by watching them in the opening five minutes

I hope you are seriously kidding me bro,i hope this is a ploy to make you look like a really smart coach,cos if this is the truth i am shocked!..you and your team had more than 6months to prepare for the biggest tournament of your careers and there was no scouting done on your opponents?..no video tapes watched?..no dossier compiled on your opponents strengths and weaknesses.So we should rely on your magical powers that in 5mins all the teams strength and weaknesses becomes bare before you.

I also don’t know anything about the Australian team we will play next but it is a must win game

Dear Coach i appeal to you,football has gone beyond this your level of operation,so many things go into preparing for a match,and i am afraid that this is not the way to go.

Pls give the coach some space. Okon is not a world class coach. What effort did the NFF make to improve our female local coaches?
Right now, he is trying to use what he has (lack of technicality, tactics, etc) to get what he want.

2 Likes

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 7:22am On Jun 11, 2015
Emmzyst:

Pls give the coach some space. Okon is not a world class coach. What effort did the NFF make to improve our female local coaches?
Right now, he is trying to use what he has (lack of technicality, tactics, etc) to get what he want.

When u hear the truth you whip out sentiments...the value u place on yourself is what pple will place on u.So going on youtube and getting videos to watch ur opponents play is a big deal?

Sitdown n keep blaming your inadequacies on people n circumstances,at least you will always have a ready excuse in the event of failure.Why don't u wait for the govt to do everything for you?

You think its unheard of for a coach to seek personal development if the board isn't forthcoming?..at the end of the day if u invest in urself jobs will hunt u down from all over d globe.

Look at all our coaches dat kept complaining about NFF,majority of them always end up with local clubs after their national stint.

I ain't supporting d NFF,but it's time coaches break d mould n invest in themselves,instead of crying everytime.

3 Likes

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:54am On Jun 11, 2015
World Cup: Dede Promises Improved Performance Against Australia.
Super Falcons goalkeeper, Precious Dede, has reassured Nigerians that they would see improved defending from the team in Friday’s second group match against Australia.
The Falcons defence gave away two cheap goals in the game against Sweden, failing to deal decisively with most of the set pieces against the team, africanFootball.com reports.
Dede, 35, who is one of the very experienced players in the Super Falcons, was caught napping on several occasions in the game against Sweden.
“We know the first half didn’t go well and we made some mistakes. But we were determined to correct those mistakes and that is why we came out fighting in the second half,” she told africanFootball.com in Canada.
“I can assure you that in our next game you would not see those mistakes again because we would go and watch the tapes and correct them.”
The United States leads the group after defeating Australia 3-1 in both nations’ first game.
thenationonlineng.net/new/world-cup-dede-promises-improved-performance-against-australia/

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:58am On Jun 11, 2015
Bomb Australia With Goals –Onyedinma Tells Falcons.
Member, NFF Executive Committee and Chairperson of Nigeria Women Football League, Chief (Mrs) Dilichukwu Onyedinma has praised the efforts of Super Falcons in their match against Sweden whilst urging them to go all out for victory against Australia in their next Group D match.
Onyedinma, also Chairman of the NFF Women Football Committee, said she never lost hope when the Falcons were two goals down, but rued the several opportunities the team missed to win the game.
“I give thanks to God for giving us the result we got against Sweden. Nobody gave us a chance before the match because Sweden is ranked among the toughest teams in this World Cup. They have always participated in World Cup and have always done well. They are actually rated number five in the world,” she said.
“I am happy the FIFA ranking did not affect our girls, because they went all out to play football. I never lost hope; any time our team is playing, I never lose hope because these girls are committed and they know what they want so I had hope that they would turn it around. We missed several scoring chances that could have changed the game for us but we are grateful to God that we were able to hold Sweden and made a point.” Against Australia on Friday, Onyedinma said she wants the team to go for the three points at stake.
“We should take our chances because that’s the only way to go ahead in the tournament. We have a bright chance to defeat Australia, so that we can be rest assured of reaching the knock-out stage even before facing the USA,” Onyedinma concluded.
thenationonlineng.net/new/bomb-australia-with-goals-onyedinma-tells-falcons/

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Afam4eva(m): 12:13pm On Jun 11, 2015
Okobi is definitely in running to be the best player of the tournament. She just need to try pur bestvto get to the final. This looks like it's gonna be our best female tournament yet. If we can get out of thisbgroup, then we're on course yo shock the world.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jun 11, 2015
Marta is currently holding the record as highest overall goal scorer in women worldcup - 15goals to her name.

She surpassed retired German international, Brigit Prinz and went two ahead of Aby Wambach.
Learnt that Aby Wambach, 35yrs, would retire after this world cup.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:54pm On Jun 11, 2015
Babatunde: We’re Feady for Chad

Super Eagles winger, Babatunde Michael has set a target of securing the maximum three points against Chad, in Saturday’s 2017 African Cup of Nations qualifier billed to hold at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium in Kaduna.
The Volyn Lutsk player, who was part of the senior national team to the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, believes that the players invited for the encounter are battle ready for the Super Eagles first outing in the qualifier. Speaking from the team’s hotel in Kaduna, the Nigeria International says beating Chad is not negotiable in the Saturday’s match.
“We are all here to play for our country and not playing alone but to win so that we can start the 2017 qualifying matches well”, says the Super Eagles star. “It is important we win all our matches and we are going to work towards it. It is quite possible because we are all ready to give our best to make sure we win.
Meanwhile, the Super Eagles who arrived in Kaduna on Sunday will be hoping to win the first match in the qualifying series so that the confidence to win the remaining matches can be boosted.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/babatunde-were-ready-for-chad/

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:56pm On Jun 11, 2015
Keshi: Support Key to Eagles Success Against Chad.
Super Eagles coach, Stephen Keshi has called on Nigerians to support the senior national team as they begin their 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers this weekend in Kaduna.
The Super Eagles who won the 2013 edition of the African showpiece in South Africa, will host Chad this weekend and the Big Boss says he is confident that his players will not fail to make Nigerians happy, saying the he has forgotten the past while focusing on what he intends to achieve in the 2017 edition.
“We need support from every Nigerian and we all need to forget the past and focus on what we want to achieve in the 2017 edition”, begins the coach.
“For me, support is key because the players are here and ready to give their best. Playing at the 2017 AFCON is a priority and we must work really hard for it” insists Keshi.
The former Togo National team, handler who spoke with Complete Sports, said they have also learnt from past experience and will not allow anything to distract the team’s focus.
“Football changes every day and all teams try to learn, so for us to win every game we are going to play, we must not underrate any team and we must work hard for every point” he concludes.
Meanwhile, after the Chad match, the Super Eagles will play Tanzania in their next game and Keshi believes that he has the team that can win the two matches.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/keshi-support-key-to-eagles-success-against-chad/

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:09pm On Jun 11, 2015
Eagles No Longer Menacing, says Bonfrere.
As the Super Eagles get set to play Chad in the 2017 Afcon qualifiers, a former coach has his say on the current state of the Nigerian men's senior national team.
"I find it very sad that teams are not afraid to play Nigeria again." Those were the first words of former Super Eagles coach, Jo Bonfere, when he met with supersport.com briefly at the departure lounge at the Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport.
"I don't buy that story that there are not enough talented players for the current coach to work with. The job of a national team coach is to harness the talents at his disposal and make them cohesive and functional to win matches," the Atlanta Olympic gold-winning coach continued.
His love for Nigerian football is so clear even though he had many bad stories of his time there. "Jim (Nwobodo) was incredibly difficult to work with because he did not understand what the job of the coach was and how modern sports administration was really about," he says of the then sports minister. "He was the only reason I left after the Olympics of 1996. I wanted to stay and work with the players because I had a good working relationship with them and some at the federation."
He clearly never got along with Nwobodo. "In Atlanta, before the final with Argentina I had been owed two months salaries so I went to the minister and Sani Toro and told them if I don't get my full salary I won't be on the bench for the final." You did not?! "Yes I did and I meant it. So the night before the match they paid me in full - cash. Too much happens behind the scenes in Nigerian football," Bonfrere says smiling.
He clearly still keeps an eye out on Nigerian players in Europe. So I asked him if he travelled a lot to watch Nigerian players when he was in charge. "I spent a lot of my money going everywhere that Nigerian players played in Europe. I had to watch them. It is absolutely vital that you watch them at their clubs. At the moment, there is a Nigerian striker at Cambuur (Bartholomew Ogbeche) and a young defender at SC Heerenveen (Kenneth Otigba) who I have noted and a few others," he said. The sparkle in his eyes as he spoke about these players and his ideas was something.
Not stopping there, he left his best for the last "the biggest problem with Nigerian football at the moment is corruption at all levels of the national teams. I know it happened before and is still happening now where players or their agents pay to get into the team." Excuse me? "Listen," he says looking me in the eyes squarely. "I am the only man to have coached Nigeria who never sold or be involved in the sale of one player!" Ok...? "Yes, a lot of the coaches are involved in it even to this present time. I used to give money to some players who said they were going on trials instead." Fascinating stuff.
Will Jo Bonfrere like to coach Nigeria again. "Yes but maybe with a younger local or foreign assistant who shares the same vision of attacking football so we can get the continent at least, back to being afraid of playing against the Super Eagles again."
mobi.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/150611/Eagles_no_longer_menacing_says_Bonfrere

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:19pm On Jun 11, 2015
Mourinho To Decide Moses’ Fate at Chelsea.

The future of Chelsea’s Nigerian star Victor Moses depends on Jose Mourinho according, to Stoke City executive Tony Scholes.
Mark Hughes wants Moses back at the Britannia next season – either on loan again or in a permanent deal – but Scholes says it is a call yet to be decided by both parties.
“It’s Chelsea’s prerogative,” he was quoted on the mirror.co.uk. “They haven’t decided what they are going to do with Victor and whether or not they want to keep him. We will wait and see on that one.”
“He’s got pace, ability, can retain possession and is powerful on the ball,” he said.
“He hasn’t had as much game time as his talent deserves, but if he plays like he did against Portsmouth then he will get a lot of game time while he is here.” Hughes admitted.
Moses ended the season with 19 league starts in all; more than he managed in the previous two seasons combined at Stamford Bridge and Anfield scoring three goals.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/mourinho-to-decide-moses-fate-at-chelsea/

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:51pm On Jun 11, 2015
Nigeria's Suprising Feat at the FIFA Women's World Cup 2015.
Nigeria's national women's football team, the Super Falcons,blew expectations out of the water on Monday when they tied with Sweden 3-3 at the FIFA 2015 Women's World Cupin Canada.
Aderonke Ogunleye of the Premium Timesreported:
Nigeria played a draw with Sweden in a Group D match opener of the FIFA Women’s world cup going on in Canada. […] In the second half, Ngozi Okobi reduced the deficit as she scored Nigeria’s first goal in Canada before Oshoala put Nigeria back on level terms through a fine individual effort after a well-played long ball from Onome Ebi.
The Super Falcons, who are seven-times African champions, are the only African team to have played in the women's FIFA World Cup since 1991.
DidYouKnow? #Nigeriais the only African team to have played in all #FIFAWomen’s #WorldCuptournaments since 1991 pic.twitter.com/epS283RY0o
— ZODML: Free Library (@ZODML) October 29, 2014
Prior to the tournament in Canada, the Super Falcons were considered lightweights due to their constant failure in global football, despite being African champions. However, Samuel Ahmaduwas hopeful:
Regarded us as outsiders on the world stage over the last two decades, Nigeria re-emerged as African champions last year, reawakening their continental dominance. This achievement could get them fired up to reach the last four after been considered perennial underachievers in recent years. […]
Nigeria get jibes for their often lack of history failing to match their pedigree as Africa's best among top women footballing nations in the World since the inception of the competition. A story they will hope to rewrite at this edition. The emergence of a youthful, energetic, block-blustering Oshoala, even at age 20, may perhaps deepen their run this time.
The Falcons’ ability to hold their Swedish counterparts to a draw was elating but nonetheless surprising. The Falcons were the “underdogs,” according to Tony Manfred:
Nigeria is the last-ranked team in Group D at 33rd in the world. Their other three opponents in the Group of Death— the U.S. (2nd), Sweden (5th), and Australia (10th) — are all ranked in the top 10. Faced with the task of taking down some of the biggest teams and names in world soccer, it's hard to think of a better philosophy than, “I don't need to know your name.” …
Nigeria is good though. They aren't a compelling underdog because they try hard and overachieve, they're a compelling underdog because they think they're good enough to take down the best teams in the world, and they actually might be.
Naturally, Nigerian netizens have been speaking about the match.
Nkem Ifejika, a Twitter user, said:
Get in my daughter! Nigeria is the most badass team at the Women's World Cup http:// /VES3Ic6BzTvia @BI_Sports
— Nkem Ifejika (@nkemifejika) June 10, 2015
They were praised:
Shout out to the #Nigeriawomen's soccer team on that BIG game with #Sweden #WomenSoccer #WorldCupin #Canadaright now! #GoNaija #Africa
— AfricanMusicWeekTO (@MCBonde1) June 8, 2015
Will Coker wrote:
Nigeria isn't a self sustaining country, but don't worry; they have a team in the women's World Cup.
— Will Coker (@ThatWillCoker) June 8, 2015
Kolo Kenneth lauded the Falcons, although NEPA (the old name for the body responsible for public electricity) did not help:
Dang. NEPA didn't epp my cause. So, SUPER Falcons were indeed super last night? Those girls will go places mehn!
— KoloKK | #SocialGood (@KoloKennethK) June 9, 2015
More praise:
FT: #SWE3-3 #NGAStirring performance by #SuperFalcons. Thrice behind, thrice clawed their way back #GreenWhiteAndProud
— Colin NOT Collins (@ColinUdoh) June 8, 2015
globalvoicesonline.org/2015/06/11/nigerias-suprising-feat-at-the-fifa-womens-world-cup-2015/

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:01pm On Jun 11, 2015
Nigeria: No Hiding Place for Australia, Falcons Boast.
Canada — After their narrow escape from Sweden in their first group match, Super Falcons feel they have all it takes to pick the group ticket. They will face Australia tomorrow in Winnipeg, and the players and their officials say nothing will save Australia from defeat.
Speaking with The Guardian after a training session here in Winnipeg yesterday, striker, Desire Oparanozie said she would personally go all out to ensure victory for Nigeria o against Australia to make up for the own goal she scored in the Sweden versus Nigeria game on Monday.
She said the target is to qualify from the group and break that 16 years jinx since 1999 in USA.
According to her: "We are looking forward to that game with high expectations because we have to beat Australia to gather four points before we face USA in Vancouver.
Also speaking with The Guardian, goalkeeper Precious Dede said though the Australians are not push overs, they will do everything within their might to win tomorrow's game to stand a chance of picking one of the group tickets.
Also optimistic, Coach Edwin Okon says he would line up a side capable of winning the game against Australia. "We are in a race and one cannot say exactly what the other person is planning. The Australians are good because it was not an easy job for them to qualify for the World Cup from their zone.
Explaining why he did not make changes in the game against Sweden, Okon says it was because the girls were fit.
"The 11 on the bench can equally play against any team," Okon, adding, however, "I didn't know anything about Sweden before the game. All I need to know about a team is just by watching them in the opening five minutes.
(At half time during the game against Sweden with Nigeria trailing 0-2), we told the girls that it's not over yet until it's over. They just had to fight till the end of the game.
"I also don't know anything about the Australian team we will play next but it is a must win game.
"No team is a pushover. We do not underrate any team. Since it is eleven versus eleven, it is the grass that will decide," he said.
Meanwhile, the Director General of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Alhassan Yakmut, has charged the Falcons to beat Australia.
In his message, Yakmut said that beating Australia would take pressure off the Falcons ahead of their game against USA in Vancouver.
allafrica.com/stories/201506110654.html?viewall=1

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jun 11, 2015
FrancisTony:
Marta is currently holding the record as highest overall goal scorer in women worldcup - 15goals to her name.

She surpassed retired German international, Brigit Prinz and went two ahead of Aby Wambach.
Learnt that Aby Wambach, 35yrs, would retire after this world cup.
This will only be Wambach's last World Cup. She will play in next year's Olympics if the US qualify.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:19pm On Jun 11, 2015
FIFA Women’s World Cup: Nigeria vs Australia (Preview, Time, Prediction).
Nigeria and Australia meet Friday afternoon in their second matchup of the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
Nigeria made a second half comeback to settle for a 3-3 draw against Sweden in its opening match.
The Super Falcons controlled the ball for 51 percent of the match and actually outshot the Swedish, 14-7. Nigeria had issues in 2011 with getting quality looks, but the speed and playmaking ability really showed.
Nigeria also proved it could hang with physical teams, as it didn’t blink an eye despite Sweden committing 14 fouls. Despite the slow start, Nigeria played a clean and impressive match against a heavily favored Sweden squad. With Ngozi Okobi and Desire Oparanozie making plays, Nigeria has a chance to be one of the surprise teams this tournament. However, Nigeria must get off to faster starts if it hopes to advance, as a two-goal comeback isn’t going to happen often.
Australia lost 3-1 to the United States in its opening match. Australia had its chances with 11 shots and six shots on goal, but Lisa De Vanna was the only player to find the net in a losing effort. Australia actually played a lot more competitive than expected considering the betting line, and it survived a physical game in which a combined 30 penalties and two yellow cards were called.
Australia is certainly not a pushover, as this team has made the quarterfinals two years in a row and is very balanced. Australia had its chances against the World Cup favorites and has to feel good heading into this match.
However, the main question for Australia is still at goalie, as Lydia Williams was a last second scratch due to a thigh injury, which gave the start to a lesser talented Melissa Barbieri. (Sportschatplace)
Time: 10pm Nigerian time
Prediction: Nigeria 4-2 Australia.
africanspotlight.com/2015/06/10/fifa-womens-world-cup-nigeria-vs-australia-preview-time-prediction/

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jun 11, 2015
CFCfan:

This will only be Wambach's last World Cup. She will play in next year's Olympics if the US qualify.
Olympic? I thought it's for under23?

Why are women not playing confederation cup?
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:28pm On Jun 11, 2015
Super Falcons Duo Eye Win Against Australia.

Winnipeg - Captain of the Super Falcons Evelyn Nwabuoku and her teammate, Francisca Ordega, are confident of defeating Australia in their next group match as they intend to pick all three points on Friday.
The Falcons, who held world football power and tournament favorites, Sweden to a 3-3 draw in their group opener, need a win to keep their qualification to the next round alive and the duo say they are going for broke against the Matildas.
"We thank God for the draw against Sweden but our focus is now on Australia. They are a very good side, they are fast and mobile but from what we have seen so far, we think they are beatable; we will approach the game tactically on Friday because we need all three points.
"After the display against Sweden, teams are now scared of us but that is not enough; we just have to work on our shortcomings also. I appeal to our fans to keep supporting us and praying for us because I am hundred percent sure that we will defeat Australia," Nwabuoku said.
Also read: Super Falcons ratings against Sweden
Similarly, scorer of Nigeria’s equalizer against Sweden, Francisca Ordega, said she intends to score more goals for Nigeria and also agreed with her captain that Australia will fall come Friday.
"Australia are a good side and play good football, coupled with experience but I believe we will come out victorious on Friday. Nigerians should expect more goals from me because I want Nigerians to be happy. My goal before coming for the World Cup is to score goals for my team and I believe I am working towards it. Come Friday, Nigerians should expect victory, nothing short of three points," Ordega said.
m.news24.com/nigeria/Sport/Football/Super-Falcons-duo-eye-win-against-Australia-20150611

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jun 11, 2015
FrancisTony:

Olympic? I thought it's for under23?

Why are women not playing confederation cup?
The Women's football event isn't age-restricted, unlike the men's event. It's a full international tourney for the women.

FIFA should consider organizing a Confed cup for women. At least, it will add mor money to their coffers cheesy

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jun 11, 2015
Abby Wambach took a whole season off just to "prepare" for the World Cup. She refused to play for her club team for a year!
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Bowaley17(m): 5:43pm On Jun 11, 2015
Date and time of the match(Nig time)
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Bowaley17(m): 5:44pm On Jun 11, 2015
CFCfan:
Abby Wambach took a whole season off just to "prepare" for the World Cup. She refused to play for her club team for a year!
are u sure
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jun 11, 2015
Bowaley17:

are u sure
Yes. You can google the fact.
I know it sounds ridiculous.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jun 11, 2015
Bowaley17:
Date and time of the match(Nig time)
Friday at 10pm.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 7:17pm On Jun 11, 2015
Oga Terzurum5 dis no b super eagles thread nah..how body?

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 7:53pm On Jun 11, 2015
Coach Okon with what happened to the flying eagles today..Nigerians are not smiling oo..you and your coaching crew better not do a "Manu" on us...put on your thinking caps.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (35) (Reply)

Didier Drogba Son Isaac Scores First Career Goal, Celebrates Like Dad (Photos) / Nine Players Who Have Played With Messi And Ronaldo Give Verdict On Who Is Best / Nigeria Vs Swaziland : World Cup Qualifier 2 - 0 On 17th November 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.