Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,879 members, 7,810,372 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:52 AM

Is Keeping Secrets A Sin ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Keeping Secrets A Sin ? (894 Views)

'I Know It's A Sin, Yet I Fall Into It Everytime' / My Pastor Said I Should Stop Keeping Beards / Is Sport Betting A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Keeping Secrets A Sin ? by eddydey(m): 11:26pm On Apr 18, 2015
At what point does keeping secret be regarded as a sin?

Nairalanders, I need clarification pls !
Re: Is Keeping Secrets A Sin ? by imbless: 11:34pm On Apr 18, 2015
It depends on the kind of secret u keep, if its a secret that needs confession, then keeping it is a sin .

2 Likes

Re: Is Keeping Secrets A Sin ? by eddydey(m): 12:10am On Apr 19, 2015
imbless:
It depends on the kind of secret u keep, if its a secret that needs confession, then keeping it is a sin .

like what kind of secret that does not need confession did you think is worth keeping?
I need further explanations with example if possible.
Thanks!
Re: Is Keeping Secrets A Sin ? by Yasher: 12:24am On Apr 19, 2015
I've been a counsellor for some years now and I can tell you that Keeping secret is not a sin. On the contrary, it is the leaking of the secret that's a sin. Even if someone comes to you and confesses that he stole or killed, it is not your responsibility to expose him. Yours is to counsel him and make him see the reason why it is important to confess(Rom 10:10).

But if he chooses not to confess, you leave him to his conscience. The only time you are permitted to reveal such secret, is with his/her permission.
Re: Is Keeping Secrets A Sin ? by eddydey(m): 12:38am On Apr 19, 2015
Yasher:
I've been a counsellor for some years now and I can tell you that Keeping secret is not a sin. On the contrary, it is the leaking of the secret that's a sin. Even if someone comes to you and confesses that he stole or killed, it is not your responsibility to expose him. Yours is to counsel him and make him see the reason why it is important to confess(Rom 10:10).

But if he chooses not to confess, you leave him to his conscience. The only time you are permitted to reveal such secret, is with his/her permission.

You mean even at the risk of some one life you still keep the secret?
Re: Is Keeping Secrets A Sin ? by imbless: 4:17am On Apr 19, 2015
eddydey:

like what kind of secret that does not need confession did you think is worth keeping?
I need further explanations with example if possible.
Thanks!
secrets like u had an abortion, u lied to save a person but ended putting another in trouble (like jail or death) "confession and restitution is seriously nEeded".
In fact your conscience is ur best judge here, and it will tell which secret is worth keeping.
As for me the secret that don't and and will not hurt people around me (not just my family or friends)is worth keeping.

1 Like

Re: Is Keeping Secrets A Sin ? by Yasher: 10:04am On Apr 19, 2015
eddydey:

You mean even at the risk of some one life you still keep the secret?
Ezekiel 3:17-21, 33:7-9. It is. Just like you testing someone and discovering that he has HIV. The only person you are permitted to tell another person's HIV status is your superior. During counselling, that person will be encouraged to tell their partner or invite their partner over for joint counselling during which they'll be advised and properly counselled.

But you can't decide on your own to expose a secret on any ground.

1 Like

Re: Is Keeping Secrets A Sin ? by Yasher: 10:34am On Apr 19, 2015
Eccl 5:5 says,"it is better not to make a vow, than to make one and not keep it."

It is not your responsibility to tell the world the wrong another man has done. Yours like I said earlier is to advise and encourage him to open up just as he has done to you. Most times, when people tell you something bad they had done, it is because they trust you'll be able to advise them a right.

But if you are having troubles with such secret, what you can do is confide in someone superior to you. But you won't tell him that Mr A did so and so. That's wrong. You can put it in form of a general question eg let's say someone did this and that and he told you and the thing is becoming an issue and you are troubled about it, what should you do? That superior by wisdom would decipher what you are saying and be able to encourage you on the proper step to take.

You might even need to advise that person that has the secret to seek help from people above you.

It is a different case if someone did wrong and then he's trying to deny it when you caught him doing it and when someone came to confide in you.

But in HIV matter, every wife has the right to know the status of her husband. So if the man is positive for eg and can't tell his wife, he can delegate you to do it for him or you invite both of them and after counselling them, you inform her.

But in the case of an abortion, say a lady had an abortion before marriage and she told you, and as a result they can't have children. Even if it is your brother's wife, you are not permitted to tell him. You can only encourage her to do and once she has done it, you can begin to encourage your brother on steps to take for healing. Even if it is adultery in marriage. That's how strong a vow is.

(1) (Reply)

Share Your Experiences Of Randy Nigerian Pastors / Urgent!!! A Mysterious Snake Outer Skin / 8 Nostradamus Prophecies For 2016 #MUST SEE!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.