Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,825 members, 7,851,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 07:52 AM

Who's An Illiterate? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who's An Illiterate? (1741 Views)

10 Signs You Only Went To School But An Illiterate / 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO / This "Illiterate" Got Only The Spelling Of His Name Right (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who's An Illiterate? by Nobody: 10:47am On Apr 20, 2015
Please who is an illiterate? is it someone that cannot read or write English or someone that cannot read or write any language?

This white worship has really gotten to us.

If I can read and write my native igbo language very well But can't write the whitemans language, am I still an illiterate?

And Nairaland should open up and indigenous language platform. just like the Chinese and the Japanese, we should be proud of what we have.

1 Like

Re: Who's An Illiterate? by Mrbigman1(m): 10:49am On Apr 20, 2015
Uche gi di ya
Re: Who's An Illiterate? by Mrbigman1(m): 10:51am On Apr 20, 2015
Uche gi di ya my bro
Re: Who's An Illiterate? by Nobody: 10:52am On Apr 20, 2015
Mrbigman1:
Uche gi di ya

nwanne ihe a ndia n'eme na agbakasizi m ahu.

afuru m gi Fu okpokpo imi gi..... chiputaochi....Cho...

1 Like

Re: Who's An Illiterate? by RoyalRoy(m): 10:53am On Apr 20, 2015
An illiterate to me is someone with a closed Mind.

Whether you passed through a school or not can't define you as an educated or an illiterate fellow.

The mind is capable of achieving a lot of things if you are willing to learn.

Our forefathers weren't educated in the western ways, yet they made farming equipments, weapons for hunting and built their own huts!!!

Without some measure of deep thinking they can't come up with such ideas!!!

So, illiteracy is a thing of the mind.

1 Like

Re: Who's An Illiterate? by egift(m): 10:53am On Apr 20, 2015
The one I don't appreciate is flogging school children for speaking their local language within the school premises.
Re: Who's An Illiterate? by khalleb(m): 11:00am On Apr 20, 2015
ALL I KNOW IS THAT AM LITERATE

for me to be able to read this post and comprehend and also contribute. hahaha

am not an illiterate

1 Like

Re: Who's An Illiterate? by Nobody: 11:00am On Apr 20, 2015
RoyalRoy:

Whether you passed through a school or not can't define you as an educated or an illiterate fellow.

Our forefathers weren't educated in the western ways, yet they made farming equipments, weapons for hunting and built their own huts!!!

I think you might be referring to an enlightened.
Re: Who's An Illiterate? by Nobody: 11:02am On Apr 20, 2015
egift:
The one I don't appreciate is flogging school children for speaking their local language within the school premises.

that one dey pain me wella. If you see as dem teachers the degrade igbo as If people that spoke it are lepers.

If you speak igbo near any of these kids, they see you as smelly and backward.

1 Like

Re: Who's An Illiterate? by WisdomFlakes: 11:04am On Apr 20, 2015
RoyalRoy:

But you don't have the prerogative to alter the true meaning of the word as the English defined it, your entitlement to your opinion notwithstanding. You are not Webster nor Oxford -- abi you don author your own dictionary? grin

Webster's dictionary definition -- illiterate: A person unable to read or write.

Oxford dictionary definition -- illiterate: Unable to read or write.

Technically, it doesn't matter in what language one can read or write in. Anything beyond that becomes highly subjective.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who's An Illiterate? by Nobody: 11:08am On Apr 20, 2015
WisdomFlakes:

But you don't have the prerogative to alter the true meaning of the word as the English defined it, your entitlement to your opinion notwithstanding. You are not Webster nor Oxford -- abi you don author your own dictionary? grin

Webster's dictionary definition -- illiterate: A person unable to read or write.

Oxford dictionary definition -- illiterate: Unable to read or write.

I think he was referring to being enlightened. you do not need to know How to read or write in order to be enlightened.
Re: Who's An Illiterate? by Mrbigman1(m): 11:10am On Apr 20, 2015
shachris03:

nwanne ihe a ndia n'eme na agbakasizi m ahu.

afuru m gi Fu okpokpo imi gi..... chiputaochi....Cho...

Wia u see d okpokoro imi?

Lmao

1 Like

Re: Who's An Illiterate? by WisdomFlakes: 11:13am On Apr 20, 2015
shachris03:

you do not need to know How to read or write in order to be enlightened.

Exactly. E.g. Most of our forefathers had some degree of enlightenment prior to the advent of the white man, even though they weren't necessarily literate in the strict sense of the word.
Re: Who's An Illiterate? by egift(m): 11:14am On Apr 20, 2015
shachris03:

that one dey pain me wella. If you see as dem teachers the degrade igbo as If people that spoke it are lepers.

If you speak igbo near any of these kids, they see you as smelly and backward.

While pupils can be disciplined for Persistent inability to learn English language, it is very wrong to make it a taboo to even voice out a local dialect in school.
Re: Who's An Illiterate? by Nobody: 11:14am On Apr 20, 2015
Mrbigman1:

Wia u see d okpokoro imi?

Lmao

ya by na imaghi na mu bu onyokomita?
Re: Who's An Illiterate? by Nobody: 11:17am On Apr 20, 2015
WisdomFlakes:

Exactly. E.g. Most of our forefathers had some degree of enlightenment prior to the advent of the white man, even though they weren't necessarily literate in the strict sense of the word.

they were literate in their own native languages. the could communicate by writings, drawing and drumming.

remember that was before the Whitman came and made them believe that they were inferior. that even the white god is more powerful than theirs.
Re: Who's An Illiterate? by Nobody: 11:19am On Apr 20, 2015
egift:

While pupils can be disciplined for Persistent inability to learn English language, it is very wrong to make it a taboo to even voice out a local dialect in school.

I think both should go hand in hand. like 50/50.

1 Like

Re: Who's An Illiterate? by omolami: 11:30am On Apr 20, 2015
Buhari the one chance presideny is an example of an illiterate. He is yet to show his WAEC certificate
Re: Who's An Illiterate? by Nobody: 11:33am On Apr 20, 2015
omolami:
Buhari the one chance presideny is an example of an illiterate. He is yet to show his WAEC certificate

i think you are the illiterate here. buhari can read and write. So what's your point?
Re: Who's An Illiterate? by PointB: 12:03pm On Apr 20, 2015
@op,
I don't care who an illiterate is, but what I know that the Buhari, the president-elect, is Semi-Literate (in modern parlance). He's better off rearing cows!
Re: Who's An Illiterate? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Apr 20, 2015
PointB:
@op,
I don't care who an illiterate is, but what I know that the Buhari, the president-elect, is Semi-Literate (in modern parlance). He's better off rearing cows!

So bad. a semi-illitrate would have to be ur president for the next 8 years. So brace yourself for some illi-tracy

I would always prefer a semi illiterate president to a stupid one.
Re: Who's An Illiterate? by PointB: 12:50pm On Apr 20, 2015
shachris03:

So bad. a semi-illitrate would have to be ur president for the next 8 years. So brace yourself for some illi-tracy

I would always prefer a semi illiterate president to a stupid one.

Too bad, I agree. But the semi-literate will not only be my president, he will also be yours! Bottom line, a cow is a cow, whether it's presidential cow or and almajiri cow! Your preference is largely immaterial now, as their is nothing you can do about his literacy level or the presidency (of the current and the elect)!
Re: Who's An Illiterate? by Orunto: 1:40pm On Apr 20, 2015
Literates are wise, knowledgeable and understanding inborn or acquired. Illiterates are foolish, stupid and ignorant (imbe or outbe).
Re: Who's An Illiterate? by Yustash001(m): 2:23pm On Apr 20, 2015
An Illiterate to me is someone doesn't have an Informal education....but being an Illiterate doesn't mean someone lacks common sense....some Illiterates are very reasonable than some literates...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

15 Amazing Facts About People That Never Gave Up. / Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene, Akwa-ibom 2015/2016 Admission Process Is On / Does This Nigerian University Produce The Country's Best Graduates?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.