Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,964 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

Getting Pregnant With Fibroids And A Blocked Tube – Is It Possible? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Getting Pregnant With Fibroids And A Blocked Tube – Is It Possible? (3036 Views)

Is It Possible To Get Pregnant With Fibroids And A Blocked Tube??? / Juice Recipes For Fibroids And Fertility (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Getting Pregnant With Fibroids And A Blocked Tube – Is It Possible? by planbwellness: 12:31pm On Apr 20, 2015
This is a question we get asked often by our online followers as it affects millions of women nationwide. So, today, we will be doing justice to it. Below is an email sent in by one of our followers online who’s bothering about such situation…

''I enjoyed your article and I have learnt a lot from this, may God bless you & strengthen d works of your hand. I had my 1st baby naturally with one fallopian tube after 2 ectopic pregnancies (I thank God). I am finding it difficult 2 get pregnant again after my 1st child which is (3yrs 7mths now), I was diagnosed of fabroid last year, my question is: can I get pregnant again with ds my condition? Or what shd I do? Thanks.''

Please note, this is not a case of someone with both tubes blocked. This is a case of someone who has just one of her fallopian tubes blocked and at the same time have fibroids.

The answer to the question of whether it is possible to get pregnant with a blocked tube and fibroids is actually a resounding YES. It is possible. We are saying it is possible not because theoretically we know so, but because it has happened and still happening to some of our patients.

However, there are medically different factors that come to play in this kind of situation, especially when fibroid is present. It is possible for 2 women to have fibroids and one will get pregnant, carry the pregnancy to full term and still have a safe delivery while the other will not be able to conceive not even to talk of delivery.

Biologically, only one fallopian tube is enough for a woman to get pregnant. The possibility of having two tubes is naturally to increase a woman’s chance of conceiving. So, in cases of one tube getting blocked for one reason or the other, a woman can still get pregnant with the other tube provided it is in good condition too.

When you have a patent tube and can still not get pregnant, you may need to look elsewhere for the cause. The fact that one of your tubes is blocked doesn’t mean the other won’t be useful for you as far as getting pregnant is concerned. However, you have to be sure of this via a reliable medical diagnosis.

For fibroids - Uterine fibroids are benign, smooth muscle cell tumours that affect reproductive-age women and are particularly prevalent among black women. If you have them, you want to know if they can affect your ability to get pregnant or if they can affect your pregnancy after conception.

The medical name for fibroids is “leiomyomas.” These tumours quickly undergo degeneration that can fall into any one of four categories: Fibroid, calcific, hemorrhagic, adipous, or (exceedingly rarely) neoplastic. By far, the most frequent type is fibroid; hence, the common name “fibroids”.

Each woman’s situation is different, and having uterine fibroids doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll have trouble conceiving. There is no consensus on how fibroids may interfere with conception, but recent studies have begun to shed light on this controversial topic.

One should start by saying that not all fibroids are biologically identical: Depending on their genetic make-up and their degree of natural degeneration, fibroids may secrete different local hormone-like substances that interfere with the ability of the uterine muscle to contract, as well as with critical messages traveling between the uterine lining and the embryo. If such molecular communications are altered, the embryo may not implant successfully or stop developing, leading to miscarriage. That is why some women with fibroids do not have difficulty conceiving but experience recurrent pregnancy loss.

Even if we know that different fibroids may have different potential to do damage, we have no way to clinically assess that. Therefore, we currently work on the assumption that all fibroids have the potential to disrupt the reproductive process, and we counsel patients based on the size and location of fibroids instead, as assessed by radiologic imaging.

If a fibroid is almost completely on the outside of the uterus (called a subserosal fibroid, as “serosa” is the name for the outer layer of the uterus), experts believe that it has little chance to impact embryo growth. Clearly, size is an important variable in such cases, as very large subserosal fibroids may bring about a degree of pelvic anatomy distortion that can have later obstetrical and medical ramifications.

When fibroids are located mostly within the uterine wall (called intramural fibroid, from Latin “intra murum,”inside the wall), it’s another story. A fibroid there may distort the shape of the uterine cavity itself and leave less room for an implanting embryo to develop. The fibroid’s demand for blood supply may also interfere with...read more on - http://planbwellness.com/getting-pregnant-with-fibroids-and-a-blocked-tube-is-it-possible/

(1) (Reply)

Help! Cockroach Found It's Way Into My Ear / Nature: Natural Curative Values Of Bitter Leaf / Smokers Are Liable To Die Young

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.