Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,911 members, 7,863,124 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 11:57 AM

Scrap N100bn Foreign Scholarships - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Scrap N100bn Foreign Scholarships (457 Views)

FG Begins Release Of N100bn For Constituency Projects / FG Moves To Reopen Peter Odili’s N100bn Fraud Case / AIT Replies Tinubu, Demands N100bn Damage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scrap N100bn Foreign Scholarships by neocortex: 3:19pm On Apr 20, 2015
The Commonwealth Youth Council has urged the President-elect, Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), to abolish foreign scholarships in the country after he assumes office on May 29.

In a statement issued by the CYC chairperson, Ahmed Adamu, in London on Saturday, the council said close to N100bn is spent on foreign scholarships annually by the Federal Government.

According to Adamu, who is also an economic expert, the expenditure had resulted in the abuse of the naira and triggered devaluation of the currency.

He said, “This figure is extremely higher when adding the cost of other self-sponsored foreign education programmes and I am using this medium to call on the Nigerian President-elect to consider this as one of the immediate policies he will adopt in the first 100 days in office.

“Nigerians and other internationals studying in United Kingdom contribute 2.3 per cent to Britain’s Gross Domestic Product growth and their patronages contribute 2.6 per cent to the overall UK employment. How different are foreign universities from Nigerian universities?

“We may talk about access to energy, Information Technology, resources, facilities, conducive atmosphere and efficiency, but all these can be provided in all Nigerian universities with the savings that will eventuate from abolishing foreign scholarships. If you divide N100 billion by the number of federal universities, you will see that each university will get N2.5 billion a year.”
Re: Scrap N100bn Foreign Scholarships by yang(m): 3:47pm On Apr 20, 2015
Na so every Nincompoop get mouth dey talk. So University na only AC and conducive environment. What of research and collaboration between institutions. Has this man heard of the Erasmus program before? I repeat, when u put illiterates in charge, this is the kind of vomit you get

1 Like

Re: Scrap N100bn Foreign Scholarships by ki02020(m): 4:02pm On Apr 20, 2015
seconded!!!!

Also, the pilgrimage program should be scrap aswell cus I simply don't see any benefit from that programe...whoever so wish to go to jerusalem or mecca(saudi) can do that from his or her pocket.

The scholaship programe is simply less effective most of the beneficiaries prefer to remain abroad rather than serve their father land with the acquire skills
Re: Scrap N100bn Foreign Scholarships by ichieoriginal(m): 4:17pm On Apr 20, 2015
Well said .....

But the truth is like say u get one close relative for abroad wey this scholarship abolition go affect..
I dy imagine the kind *kabashing* we u go dy do.....

That's naija for u...being selfish is our second name...*bone* all these protocols dat are currently observed right nw....if they are to collect the money from the scholarship stuff..I'm pretty such that it will not reflect in the economy..

Forget all these noise making...several *refunded cash* from most abolished projects are never fully utilized,....which is very bad...debt relinquished by the world bank..abacha son refunded money,ibori money,alamasigha etc..with all refunded cash..naija still dy broke....I wan ask na federal government dy give us feeding money for this country ni..

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Politics About Joining The Army Or Any Govt Military Agencies / 2000 Heavily Armed Boko Haram Members Recaptured Marte Town / Buhari, Change Is Actually An Active Verb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.