Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,191 members, 7,815,155 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:20 AM

A Rant About Nigerian Pidgin English - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / A Rant About Nigerian Pidgin English (752 Views)

5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English With No Definite Origin / What Is Wrong With People?!(late Nite Rant) / Nigerian Pidgin Proverbs That Will Surely Make You Laugh * (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Rant About Nigerian Pidgin English by LateBloomer: 2:50pm On Apr 21, 2015
A broken form of the English Language, which has now become a language in its own right.

Some Nigerian pidgin words and their meanings include:
wetin - what
na - is a/it is/it was ,
don - has,
dem - they/them
wey - who/that/where,
dey - are,
pilé/palé - father,
milé/malé - mother.

Used in informal/relaxed settings among persons who are looking to create a friendly rapport or already share one.

Also used for communication between individuals who do not speak the same language.

Used in songs by most Nigerian musicians.

When it is overused by literates it may diminish their command of proper English Language.
For example, consider this interview where D'banj, an entertainer and fairly educated man, struggles with articulating his thoughts in proper English.
Watch for 0:58 - 1-06 where he says "Agriculture as been seen as fastest way of eradicating poverty and of creating job creations across Africa"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnvKZq8hCjk

Some eloquent speakers argue that speaking pidgin does not affect the way they speak proper English. This may be true if there is a balance in the use of both. But if you speak pidgin 90% of the time, do not expect to flow when called upon to give an impromptu interview on CNN.

Banned by parents in some homes as it is considered tasteless.

Some teenagers from homes where it is banned eventually pick it up in school to win the approval of their peers. (Me sef do dat wan)

In Nigeria, the easiest way to the appear down-to-earth, is to speak as much pidgin as possible, especially when it is not necessary.
Re: A Rant About Nigerian Pidgin English by akinboyepelumi9: 2:59pm On Apr 21, 2015
Pidgin to me is our own English (Nigerian), It has help to Unite both the Illiterate and the Educated citizen of the Nation.

I don't think Pidgin affects the normal English of any individual and precise, no one will examine the error in your Spoken English during a conversation except U write the words down.

Go through what I just wrote up there, 1Million error might be in what I wrote (Oboy I no send) but I am sure U Understand the message am trying to Share

ENGLISH no be my LANGUAGE! Na for me to just fit speak wetin the other person Understand. Lobatan
Re: A Rant About Nigerian Pidgin English by Harvard13(m): 3:23pm On Apr 21, 2015
what??
Re: A Rant About Nigerian Pidgin English by LateBloomer: 7:25pm On Apr 21, 2015
Harvard13:
what??
You know you're not under compulsion to leave a comment, right?

(1) (Reply)

12 Dangerous People To Marry / Ireland Has Just Declared Same-sex Marriage As Legal Through A Popular Vote / Photos: Isis Publicly Flog Two Men For Privately Breaking Ramadan Fast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.