Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,907 members, 7,956,415 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 11:32 AM

How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! (29313 Views)

Female Banker Defrauded One Of Her Customers N90 Million, / Church Member Petitions Police Over Lagos Prophet Who Defrauded Her Of N5million / N12b Currency Scam: N3.9b Destroyed With Acid, Water, Court Told. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by somegirl1: 11:18am On Apr 22, 2015
astana1:
GEJ administration marginalized AND SACKED PEOPLE TO SET OUT HIS TRIBALISTIC AGENDA

Igbo man Ike Nkeremandu, Deputy Senate President

Igbo man Emeka Ihedioha, Deputy Speaker

(Imagine that in a country with 6 geopolitical zones, one occupies the two of the 4 major National Assemby leadership positions!!)

Igbo man Pius Ayim, Secretary to the Federal Government

igbo man Godwin Emefiele is the governor of the central bank of Nigeria

Igbo woman, Finance Minister and Co-ordinating Minister for the Economy

Igbo woman petroluem Minister

Igbo man Nebo, Power Minister

Igbo man Minister of aviation

Printing and Minting - Igbo

HEAD OF DSS -Igbo

MINISTER OF Health - Igbo

Jonathan removed other tribes from head of parastatals and put Igbos there but that would be addressed now. Bureau of statistics was filled up with Igbos.

Even the Hausas/Fulanis in military have never done this above show of shame and pure tribalism. And Igbos were quiet all through that administration cos others were marginalised.

Stop posting until you can differentiate between ethnic groups. There are other ethnic groups in Nigeria besides Igbos, Hausas and Yorubas.
The petroleum minister is not Igbo
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by baybeeboi: 11:20am On Apr 22, 2015
may they never recover the money.
Stewpid Naija banks.
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by tonte(m): 11:20am On Apr 22, 2015
Are you even allowed in this time and age to be this FOOLISH? what does this have to do with the thread idiot

astana1:
GEJ administration marginalized AND SACKED PEOPLE TO SET OUT HIS TRIBALISTIC AGENDA

(Imagine that in a country with 6 geopolitical zones, one occupies the two of the 4 major National Assemby leadership positions!!)

HEAD OF DSS -Igbo

Jonathan removed other tribes from head of parastatals and put Igbos there but that would be addressed now. Bureau of statistics was filled up with Igbos.

Even the Hausas/Fulanis in military have never done this above show of shame and pure tribalism. And Igbos were quiet all through that administration cos others were marginalised.
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by Nobody: 11:20am On Apr 22, 2015
Now that man should be made to face the law. The name doesn't look Indian to me.
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by tunnary(m): 11:20am On Apr 22, 2015
Jennifer4christ:
Good day Nairalanders...

My name is Jennifer and I reside in Owerri, Imo state.
I am a school certificate holder with little hope of tertiary education.
Someone advised me to open a Nairaland account and ask for help, so I'm new here.
With the assurance I was given, I promise to testify here, if I get my breakthrough from Nairaland.

Why I came writing this now is because I lost my job as a cleaner at one of First Bank branches in Owerri.
The area manager came to our branch 2 weeks ago and after a series of complaints about almost everything that day, I was relieved of my job.
It still beats my imagination why I was singled out to be sacked.
Why me?
Why just me?
I still can't bear it up till now, since I fend for myself.
The money I have with me is fast running out and I desperately need a job from a good samaritan reading this now.

Please, if anyone can help me get a good paying job or connect me with someone who can give me a good job, I will forever be grateful.

I know this is risky, but I need help desperately, hence, I am putting up my number for possible contact and help.
I am not a sex-worker please and I will never be one, I only need a decent job.
So please, I pray no one misunderstands my intentions.

May God almighty reward those who will run to my aid at this frustrating moment of my life, Amen!

My number is 08172982883.
God bless you.

What evidence do we v 4 dis? Fraude comes tru any means
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by abouzaid: 11:21am On Apr 22, 2015
Rose2014:

Emefiele an Ika man and Okonjo Iweala an Enu-ani woman, all became Igbo overnight cos it's time for Igbo bashing, same way Nzeogwu and other Anioma soldiers involved in the coup all became Igbo overnight, cos it was time for Igbo bashing.

One minute, you lots will say there are no Igbos in SS, Igboland starts and ends in SE you say, Igbos are trying to attach themselves to groups in SS not comfortable with the Igbo tag you preach.

But when it's time for Igbo bashing, Igboland suddenly starts existing outside the SE, and anyone with Chi, Chukwu, and other Igbo names will not be spared.

I salute you o!
the slowpoke called the petroleum minister igbo too, na joblessness de worry am, shameless tribalist

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by baybeeboi: 11:22am On Apr 22, 2015
astana1:

HEAD OF DSS -Igbo

wetin u take pass ordinary weed
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by baybeeboi: 11:25am On Apr 22, 2015
Jennifer4christ:
Good day Nairalanders...

Someone advised me to open a Nairaland account and ask for help, so I'm new here.
With the assurance I was given, I promise to testify here, if I get my breakthrough from Nairaland.

Why I came writing this now is because I lost my job as a cleaner at one of First Bank branches in Owerri.
The area manager came to our branch 2 weeks ago and after a series of complaints about almost everything that day, I was relieved of my job.
Why me?
Why just me?
The money I have with me is fast running out and I desperately need a job from a good samaritan reading this now.

Please, if anyone can help me get a good paying job or connect me with someone who can give me a good job, I will forever be grateful.

I know this is risky, but I need help desperately, hence, I am putting up my number for possible contact and help.

May God almighty reward those who will run to my aid at this frustrating moment of my life, Amen!

God bless you.
go marry nau
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by tochstorm(m): 11:27am On Apr 22, 2015
Rose2014:

Emefiele an Ika man and Okonjo Iweala an Enu-ani woman, all became Igbo overnight cos it's time for Igbo bashing, same way Nzeogwu and other Anioma soldiers involved in the coup all became Igbo overnight, cos it was time for Igbo bashing.

One minute, you lots will say there are no Igbos in SS, Igboland starts and ends in SE you say, Igbos are trying to attach themselves to groups in SS not comfortable with the Igbo tag you preach.

But when it's time for Igbo bashing, Igboland suddenly starts existing outside the SE, and anyone with Chi, Chukwu, and other Igbo names will not be spared.

I salute you o!
i've said it before. the ss is not igbo those mofo's are delusional. and i quote myself; biafra will be strictly igbo. we don't need ND's they don't need us. we don't need theirs oil period.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by Nobody: 11:29am On Apr 22, 2015
astana1:

HEAD OF DSS -Igbo

Guy you sounded as if those are the only ministerial position in Nigeria. Why not check the list below and stop spreading falsehood.

Professor Chinedu Nebo - Minister of power -

Mohammed Wakil - Minister of State power

Ngozi Okonjo Iweala - Minister of Finance

Olusegun Aganga - Minister for Trade and Investment

Mr Bashir Yuguda - Minister of state finance

Deziani Alison-Madueke - Minister of petroleum resources

Dr. Akinwunmi Ayo Adesina - Minister of Agriculture

Hajia Asabe Asmau Ahmed - Minister of State Agriculture

Bala Muhammed - Minister of FCT

Mrs. Olajumoke - Minister of State for FCT

Sanusi Dagash - Minister of works

Mr. Adeyeye - Minister of State, Works.

Dr. Abubakar Olanrewaju Sulaiman - Minister of National planning

Mohammed Adoke - Attorney General and Minister of Justice

Mr Osita Chidoka - Minister of Aviation

Mr. Edem Duke - Minister of culture and tourism;

Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau - Minister of education

Lawrencia Laraba Mallam - Minister of environment

Ambassador Aminu Wali - Minister of Foreign affairs

Prof. (Mrs) Viola Onwuliri - Minister of state Foreign affairs.

Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu - Minister of Health

Dr. Khaliru Alhassan - Minister of state Health

Labaran Maku - Minister of information and communications

Comrade Abba Moro - Minister of Interior

Chukwuemeka Wogu - Minister of Labour and productivity

Arc. Mohammed Musa Sada - Minister of mines and steel development

Dr Stephen Orise Oru - Minister of Niger Delta

Mr. Darius Dickson Ishaku - Minister of State Niger Delta

Gen. Aliyu Gusau - Minister of Defence

Senator Musiliu Obanikoro -Minister of State Defence

Alhaji Abduljelili Adesiyan - Minister of Police Affairs

Mr. Bulama - Minister of Science and Technology

Senator Idris A.Umar - Minister of Transport

Boni Haruna - Minister of Youth Development

Hajia Zainab Maina - Minister Of Women Affairs

Dr. Tamuno Danagogo - Minister of sport and chairman national sport commission

Mrs. Akon Eyakenyi - Land, Housing and Urban Development

Kabiru Turaki - Minister of Special Duties

Read more: http://www..com/ng/presidency-judiciary-legislative-and-policies/3547-list-of-current-nigerias-ministers.html#ixzz3Y1ni0RWE

1 Like

Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by grandstar(m): 11:29am On Apr 22, 2015
Jennifer4christ:
Good day Nairalanders...

Why me?
Why just me?

God bless you.

you sound suspicious
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by sorepco(m): 11:30am On Apr 22, 2015
you are a slowpoke...1st off the minister of health is ot igbo.

2nd the minister of petroleum, deziani is from bayelsa.

3rd, i can see just about 4 ministeres you mentiioned; they are suppose to be five going by the equality of representation act (federal character commission in mundane parlance). since every state is to get a minister, we have been short changed by one minister. so buhari, do the needful and give them igbos their five ministerial slots.

4th, head of DSS not igbo. i guess the spokesperson is igbo. that does not qualify as head of the agency.

get your facts right before hating the igbos, or any other tribe for that matter!!!

see wetin oba of south africa don do....na so our oba of eko been wan do.

astana1:

HEAD OF DSS -Igbo

Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by tochstorm(m): 11:36am On Apr 22, 2015
you guys just hate the igbo populace for no good reason.
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by sorepco(m): 11:39am On Apr 22, 2015
dont mid the fools...even criminal lebanese are called white in naija!!

Skywalker5:

You call Indians white?
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by mrramadan(m): 11:44am On Apr 22, 2015
This is one of the reasons why I use the signature, "Never envy a man's trousers, his boxers might be full of holes". I was told this at a very early age and this has really kept me out of trouble and also taught me to never envy any of these so called rich men we see riding in big cars, coming on TV getting international awards and the likes.
You see a man whose total assets are worth 1 billion, but is owing the banks 5 billion. Abeg how is that a rich man? With the 5k wey I get for account, I be Bill Gates for his side grin... lol

1 Like

Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by fpeter(f): 11:49am On Apr 22, 2015
TeamSimple:
When a Nigerian frauds their state government now,they will cry foul..Imagine india angry so they don sabi classify Job pass us abi?

Nigeria dey learn for Indian man side when it comes to fraud.
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by mikolo80: 11:56am On Apr 22, 2015
bigtt76:
Serves the bank right. They will never advance you without collateral being a Nigerian but would go any length to please foreigners #notxenophobic undecided
you do realise that that is our money that is being stolen
this is why they charge us 100/65 to use atm
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by joecynice(m): 11:59am On Apr 22, 2015
we Nigerians do it to other countries so its pay back time
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by anigold(m): 12:05pm On Apr 22, 2015
SleekyP:
Bashir Abdullahi, a witness of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in the ongoing trial of Patrick Fernandez, an Indian businessman before a Federal High Court in Lagos, on Tuesday gave graphic details of how the accused defrauded some Nigerian banks to the tune of N32 billion.

Fernandez is standing trial alongside three of his companies on a 56 count-charge of fraud.

The witness, who is a former investigator with the EFCC, told the court that the commission learned of the fraud when one of the banks contacted the agency’s Financial Intelligence Unit.

According to him, in July 2008, he was assigned to investigate the case of suspicious financial activities involving Fernandez and his companies.

The affected banks, he said, were Zenith Bank, Afribank, Intercontinental Bank, Union Bank and Wema Bank. His investigations, he said, revealed high volume transactions from one account to another, which he said were suspected to be fraudulent.

Abdullahi said: “In our findings, we discovered that the accused was involved in cheque-kitting and round tripping. It is also known as Lazy Susan, a business model.”

Lazy Susan, he said, involves members of a business group transferring money from one sister company to another without selling any commodity, using money obtained from other banks.

He said as at September 2007, the accused had less than N2million in his account. “The volume of transaction was also minimal, starting with N20million. Within the same month, it rose to N600million. The volume of transaction also sky rocketed to billions of naira within just three months,” he said.

Abdullahi said the transactions involved the use of “suspended cheques” which did not go through the clearing house initially.

“If he brings a cheque, credit will be given to him immediately without going through clearance. Because he has a cheque discounting facility, if he brings N1billion cheque, they will give him N800million,” Abdullahi said.

He said Wema Bank, for instance, discovered that it allegedly lost N23billion to the activities of Fernandez and his companies.

On how the fraud was perpetrated, he said a high ranking staff of Wema Bank aided the fraudulent transactions.

The Wema Bank insider, the witness said, “was suppressing the cheque”, such that when other banks asked whether there is money in Fernandez’s account, the official would answer in the affirmative. “All the banks will ask Wema Bank staff, is there N5billion in his account, and he will say yes,” said the witness.

Abdullahi said the accused person claimed to be involved in oil and gas business which he said was “cash-intensive” and therefore needed to move money from one bank to the other.

He said the bubble burst when the banks, at the clearing house, discovered that “they were clearing the same cheque”.

Under cross examination by defence counsel, James Ocholi (SAN), Abdullahi said he did not know the banks’ account officers or branch managers who dealt with Fernandez.

He said the defendant’s companies were duly incorporated, and that his accounts were opened through “traditional” means.

He added Fernandez was considered high net-worth individual and so the banks took him for his words.

“If they had not taken him for his words, we won’t be talking about missing billions. The accused person stated that a point, he became the darling of the banks,” the witness said.

He said the investigation was triggered by a Suspicious Transaction Alert received from Afribank.

“They reduced the complaint to intelligence and forwarded to EFCC operatives for investigation. I don’t know if there was a petition,” Abdullahi said.

Justice John Tsoho adjourned till June 16 for continuation of trial

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2015/04/indian-defrauded-nigerian-banks-n32b-court-told/

This story is very pathetic, goes to show that most of our banks are just money-hoarding-house with poor banking practices..

how can you pay a check of N800M when the account holder does not have up to such amount in his/her account... also such fraud to occur there must insiders to facilitate the fraud...

These are same a young entrepreneur will go for soft-loan of N1m ,they will ask for N10m collateral..

Trust Nigeria the case may likely sneak under the carpet...
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by anigold(m): 12:11pm On Apr 22, 2015
bigtt76:
Serves the bank right. They will never advance you without collateral being a Nigerian but would go any length to please foreigners #notxenophobic undecided

A white man goes to a Nigerian Bank to ask for a N10m loan with no collateral and he gets it under 8 working days.

A Nigerian goes to the same Nigerian bank with N5m worth of collateral for a N10m loan and the bank declines...

Nigerians hating Nigerians since october 1st 1960
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by anigold(m): 12:13pm On Apr 22, 2015
shachris03:
all na because he's white, So he is considered higly networth and not worthy of scam. How can you take someone for his words for a 23 billion naira cheque?

RATHER UNFORTUNATELY EMBARRASSINGLY...
How can a sensible human being pays someone N23b just based on words of mouth...
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by Petermarshal(m): 12:13pm On Apr 22, 2015
As a smart hacker, he deserve an international recognition. Its nt easy!
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by Kedam(m): 12:22pm On Apr 22, 2015
You will never stop ur hatred towards the igbo people. More news!
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by Mcowubaba: 1:05pm On Apr 22, 2015
Rose2014:

I salute you o!
dnt mind d hypocritesgrin, when did even Alison Dezani(Petroleum Minister) become an Igbo woman, she was appointed as a Bayelsa woman(as part of the quota system where every state must have a minister or its equivalent)!!! I know her husband is Igbo...
Few of the SS people here on Nairaland R confused... Today u here them defending Rotimi Amaechi that he is an Igbo man when the argument favours them, tmwr the will say there is NO igbo in the SS region (I taya)..believe me; if APC maybe zones SGF to the SE nd the pick Amaechi 4 d post, u will see them(SS) defending it...saying after all Amaechi is Igbo cheesy... But some of them r truthful sha..nd knw d fact(that Igbos r part nd parcel of their SS Region)- its just politics nd illiteracy that will make some1 answering Nyesom Ezenwo wike or Ifeanyi okowa that both speak d igbo language fluently say the r not Igbos.... But during Campaign PEJ went abt the entire SE region Speaking Mostly Igbo telling them -'Goodluck bu nwanne unu, Voturu Jonathan o bu nwanne anyi grin, o ga-enyere anyi aka..Lwkm......
Igbo people open ur eyes ooh..no love in d Jungle..
Nigeria na Game of Thrones oo....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by bigfrancis21: 1:14pm On Apr 22, 2015

Patrick Fernandez
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by bigfrancis21: 1:22pm On Apr 22, 2015
Nigerians have successfully defrauded US banks of millions of dollars, much to the chagrin of US people. Now it is payback time. smiley
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by hermesprogidy(m): 1:29pm On Apr 22, 2015
Go to a bank to secure loan now and they will start telling you stories.Useless Nigerian banks angry angry angry
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by Spidermon: 2:01pm On Apr 22, 2015
If a young enterprising Nigerian graduate approaches them for #5m loan, they will ask him to go and slice his great grandfather's d**k as collateral.
But when they see foreigners, they quickly bend over and drop their pants to their ankles.
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by jaybee(f): 2:53pm On Apr 22, 2015
beekaymee:
DUDE SHUT D FVYCK UP AND GET OUT OF NAIRALAND AND DON'T CAUSE TRIBAL RIVALRY. MTCHEW……………… ASA PALAPALA angry

So what's wrong in stating the obvious?
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by Amya(f): 3:01pm On Apr 22, 2015
A friend of mine sat at the hearing of the case in the federal high court. The scammer had the demeanour and disposition of a billionaire. He is an older man in his mid to late 50's so even that led credence to his claim of being a rich business man.

Apparently 200 million of the one billion was supposed to be the profits for these banks, so they were quick to clear the checks without much investigation. Serves them right. Unfortunately many innocent people will get fired for this.

I heard his accomplice the manager of Wema bank has disappeared with his share of the loot.
Re: How Indian Defrauded Nigerian Banks Of N32b, Court Told! by LLVelly: 5:08pm On Apr 22, 2015
Na pure jazz,indian man juju dey work oo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Caught On Camera Stealing Laptop At A Tech Event In Abuja / Valentine Day Turned Bloody At Oworoshoki, Lagos / Illegal Chinese Miners Nabbed In Plateau By Security Men (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.