Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

Travelling To Kano For The First Time.... My Experience And Thoughts. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Kano For The First Time.... My Experience And Thoughts. (2267 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / See What This Foreign Photographer Said She Saw On A Train From LAGOS To KANO / Travelling To Canada Part 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Travelling To Kano For The First Time.... My Experience And Thoughts. by sdavirus: 12:01pm On Apr 22, 2015
If anyone cares to hear it, drop a comment, then I'll put put up a post later in the day. Don't just wanna write in vain.

MODIFIED

So after dropping in from Port Harcourt, I had to wait for a couple of hours, seeing the flight had been rescheduled, and I wanted to be there in time, for fear of any last minute changes.
Prior to leaving PH, I had booked with Azman Air for the ABJ-KAN portion of the journey, and made reservations for a hotel, via hotels.ng.
Unlike most people, I felt good about using Azman, because they were new, and I believe they would be eager to please, to get more customers.
Did all the formalities…..checking in, etc. On boarding, I don’t think we were more than 20. Their planes are in better conditions, compared to arik and aero, although that might have to do with them, getting newer fairly used versions, seeing they just kicked off operations. The pilot was really good; had steady hands. I heard talk of them employing foreign pilots, don’t know if that is true. His ascension was great, and showed he was well trained/had experience. And oh, the snacks served, wasn’t too different from what you get in aero-Funman juice, a cupcake, some candy, and a disposable cup of water.
I disembarked, wishing they flew to the South and West. If you are ever going to the North, try them, I’m pretty sure you won’t be disappointed.
Aminu Kano International Airport was as beautiful as advertised. Jonathan or Kwankwanso(Usually a Federal project, right?) did a great job there. It isn’t too big, but it was really cute. I felt that at the least, this is what an international airport should look like, and not what we have in Port Harcourt.
Anyway, waited to pick up my luggage, and headed to get transportation.
Note that at this time (December 2014), suicide bombings were still quite frequent in Kano. So in case of any violence or anything, I decided to look for a hotel, along Murtala Mohammed Way-which isn’t too far from the airport, if I had to flee for my life. Being my first time in the city, I had to take one of those airport taxis. Aboki has seen JJC now, he was saying it will cost N4000, to drop me off. I’m like “For what?” he said I should ask the other fellas. I pretended to alight, and he said…. Just because of you, I’ll take 3500 abi 3000. I was just looking at him, like where did we meet before, that you wanna take 3000 cos of me?
So off we went, and like 10mins later, we were at the hotel. My face was like  I made sure he carried my bag and waited, before I paid him. Evil people.
As I was entering the hotel, I was like…..”hmmm, this place is looking disgusting” But the reviews I had read on Hotels.ng began flooding in. People were like “the best hotel in Kano” “thanks for making my trip memorable” “I’ll surely be back, wonderful experience” I was like….. “yea, this is the one” The prices for all their rooms were very cheap, as in, less than 10,000.00 for a hotel people claimed was the best.
Meanwhile, as I was entering, some guys at the front were looking at me in a funny way. I ignored their stares and went in. immediately I did, I understood why they had that look. The hotel smelt funny, broken chairs, dirty floors, and no electricity. I was like…. “My Lord, this is one chance o…..and the cabbie had just left”
Just to please them, I told them to show me their rooms. I’ve never seen anything like that in my life…..saying it was disgusting was an understatement.
I came down, and the manager asked me what I thought about it…..i remembered I was in Kano, so I just managed to hold myself from saying I tot it was shitty. Rather, I told him it wasn’t good enough. He looked at me and said “I know just what you need” he told the receptionist to show me “the special”.
The guy took me up, via the other stairway, and when he opened the room, the bathroom…..OMG. It looked like has been in use, since dinosaurs roamed the earth. I’m like……is this the special? Oh my word.
He asked me again, and my reply was the same as before. He then asked the guy to show me another, I told him that wouldn’t be necessary. Thankfully, I had booked to pay on arrival. Even if I had paid, I would have preferred to forfeit the money, than spend an hour there.
I grabbed my stuff and headed towards the exit. I walked towards one of the guys that was looking at me in a funny way earlier. He definitely wasn’t a local.
When he saw me, he said he knew I would come out, that he was wondering what I was doing there in the first place.
Told him off all the positive things they said about the Hotel (infact they should remove that hotel and replace it with a motel….no less than a hostel….it’s not deserving of that at all!!!!!)
He said it’s usually all these foreigners that are in the country illegally, that do stay there…. Foreigners as in Cameroonians, Chadians, and the like.

I’LL CONTINUE IN A BIT. PROLLY TOMORROW. IGNORE ANY TYPOS. TIRED

cc: infotainment
Re: Travelling To Kano For The First Time.... My Experience And Thoughts. by infotainment(m): 12:25pm On Apr 22, 2015
sdavirus:
If anyone cares to hear it, drop a comment, then I'll put put up a post later in the day. Don't just wanna write in vain.
ok,am interested.
Re: Travelling To Kano For The First Time.... My Experience And Thoughts. by sdavirus: 7:10pm On Apr 24, 2015
infotainment:

ok,am interested.

You have got a post smiley
Re: Travelling To Kano For The First Time.... My Experience And Thoughts. by talktimi(m): 12:23pm On Apr 25, 2015
Next time go by train or luxurious bus and tell us about everything you see on the road cool
Re: Travelling To Kano For The First Time.... My Experience And Thoughts. by sdavirus: 12:36pm On Apr 25, 2015
talktimi:
Next time go by train or luxurious bus and tell us about everything you see on the road cool

Owei.
I leave that one to you. cheesy
Re: Travelling To Kano For The First Time.... My Experience And Thoughts. by Manweysabi(m): 12:18am On Apr 26, 2015
There are nice hotels close to the airport... Better still, in sabongari.
Re: Travelling To Kano For The First Time.... My Experience And Thoughts. by infotainment(m): 10:22pm On Apr 26, 2015
sdavirus:

MODIFIED

So after dropping in from Port Harcourt, I had to wait for a couple of hours, seeing the flight had been rescheduled, and I wanted to be there in time, for fear of any last minute changes.
Prior to leaving PH, I had booked with Azman Air for the ABJ-KAN portion of the journey, and made reservations for a hotel, via hotels.ng.
Unlike most people, I felt good about using Azman, because they were new, and I believe they would be eager to please, to get more customers.
Did all the formalities…..checking in, etc. On boarding, I don’t think we were more than 20. Their planes are in better conditions, compared to arik and aero, although that might have to do with them, getting newer fairly used versions, seeing they just kicked off operations. The pilot was really good; had steady hands. I heard talk of them employing foreign pilots, don’t know if that is true. His ascension was great, and showed he was well trained/had experience. And oh, the snacks served, wasn’t too different from what you get in aero-Funman juice, a cupcake, some candy, and a disposable cup of water.
I disembarked, wishing they flew to the South and West. If you are ever going to the North, try them, I’m pretty sure you won’t be disappointed.
Aminu Kano International Airport was as beautiful as advertised. Jonathan or Kwankwanso(Usually a Federal project, right?) did a great job there. It isn’t too big, but it was really cute. I felt that at the least, this is what an international airport should look like, and not what we have in Port Harcourt.
Anyway, waited to pick up my luggage, and headed to get transportation.
Note that at this time (December 2014), suicide bombings were still quite frequent in Kano. So in case of any violence or anything, I decided to look for a hotel, along Murtala Mohammed Way-which isn’t too far from the airport, if I had to flee for my life. Being my first time in the city, I had to take one of those airport taxis. Aboki has seen JJC now, he was saying it will cost N4000, to drop me off. I’m like “For what?” he said I should ask the other fellas. I pretended to alight, and he said…. Just because of you, I’ll take 3500 abi 3000. I was just looking at him, like where did we meet before, that you wanna take 3000 cos of me?
So off we went, and like 10mins later, we were at the hotel. My face was like  I made sure he carried my bag and waited, before I paid him. Evil people.
As I was entering the hotel, I was like…..”hmmm, this place is looking disgusting” But the reviews I had read on Hotels.ng began flooding in. People were like “the best hotel in Kano” “thanks for making my trip memorable” “I’ll surely be back, wonderful experience” I was like….. “yea, this is the one” The prices for all their rooms were very cheap, as in, less than 10,000.00 for a hotel people claimed was the best.
Meanwhile, as I was entering, some guys at the front were looking at me in a funny way. I ignored their stares and went in. immediately I did, I understood why they had that look. The hotel smelt funny, broken chairs, dirty floors, and no electricity. I was like…. “My Lord, this is one chance o…..and the cabbie had just left”
Just to please them, I told them to show me their rooms. I’ve never seen anything like that in my life…..saying it was disgusting was an understatement.
I came down, and the manager asked me what I thought about it…..i remembered I was in Kano, so I just managed to hold myself from saying I tot it was shitty. Rather, I told him it wasn’t good enough. He looked at me and said “I know just what you need” he told the receptionist to show me “the special”.
The guy took me up, via the other stairway, and when he opened the room, the bathroom…..OMG. It looked like has been in use, since dinosaurs roamed the earth. I’m like……is this the special? Oh my word.
He asked me again, and my reply was the same as before. He then asked the guy to show me another, I told him that wouldn’t be necessary. Thankfully, I had booked to pay on arrival. Even if I had paid, I would have preferred to forfeit the money, than spend an hour there.
I grabbed my stuff and headed towards the exit. I walked towards one of the guys that was looking at me in a funny way earlier. He definitely wasn’t a local.
When he saw me, he said he knew I would come out, that he was wondering what I was doing there in the first place.
Told him off all the positive things they said about the Hotel (infact they should remove that hotel and replace it with a motel….no less than a hostel….it’s not deserving of that at all!!!!!)
He said it’s usually all these foreigners that are in the country illegally, that do stay there…. Foreigners as in Cameroonians, Chadians, and the like.

I’LL CONTINUE IN A BIT. PROLLY TOMORROW. IGNORE ANY TYPOS. TIRED

cc: infotainment

nice story,I took interest in ur story 'cos I just relocated from kano.
awaiting ur next episode.
Re: Travelling To Kano For The First Time.... My Experience And Thoughts. by talktimi(m): 10:24pm On Apr 26, 2015
What about the babes (VERY IMPORTANT aspect of any journey)

(1) (Reply)

Czech/eu Work Permit Required / Villagers In Indonesia Cut Open A Giant Python Saw Missing Man Swallowed. / Please What Is The Cost Of Transportation From kogi To Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.