Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,151 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:31 AM

10 Worst Football Injuries In Football World (viewers Discretion) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 10 Worst Football Injuries In Football World (viewers Discretion) (2889 Views)

18 Worst Football Teams Of The Ongoing Season / OMG! See The Worst Football Injury Ever Recorded- SHOCKING PHOTOS / Top 50 Worst Football Team Kits - You Will Be Shocked To See How Ugly They Are! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Worst Football Injuries In Football World (viewers Discretion) by SortCode(m): 11:53am On Apr 23, 2015
WARNING : This slideshow contains graphic images

Stunning goals, spectacular saves, brilliant passing, trophies and glory: all these scenes are part of the Beautiful Game that we've come to know and enjoy. However, there is a dark side to the sport, as the horrific injuries depicted in this threadreveal...

1. David Busst (Conventry City)
On April 8, 1996, Conventry City traveled to Old Trafford to take on English football giants Manchester United. Two minutes into the game, defender David Busst went up to join the attack after his team won a corner.
As he went for a loose ball, Busst got sandwiched by two tackles from United players Brian McClair and Denis Irwin, resulting in extensive compound fractures to the tibia and fibula of his right leg.
The injury was so horrific that United goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel reportedly vomited on the spot, while it took 12 minutes for the blood to be cleaned off the grass before the match could resume.
Busst subsequently underwent 26 operations but due to infections suffered to his leg, he never returned to football and retired seven months later at the age of 29, following advice from doctors.

2. Alf-Inge Haaland (Manchester City)
Former Manchester United captain Roy Keane is known for his uncompromising style on the pitch during his playing days, but his feud with ex-Manchester City defender Alf-Inge Haaland is perhaps one of the most famous stories in football folklore.
It all started in September 1997 when United played Leeds at Elland Road and Keane suffered an injury to his anterior cruciate ligament during the match, which subsequently kept him out for almost a year. Haaland, then playing for the home side, stood over Keane as he lay prone on the ground and suggested that the Irishman was feigning injury.
Later in April 2001, Keane dished out his own brand of revenge. Haaland had by then moved to United' rivals, City, and was the victim of a deliberate foul on the right knee by Keane, who later admitted in his autobiography that he had set out with the intention to harm Haaland.
Keane was subject to a FA inquiry and banned for a total of eight matches, in addition to being fined £150,000. Haaland never played a full match again and retired two years later in July 2003 due to a long-standing injury on his left knee, which he implied was aggravated by Keane's tackle on his other knee.

3. Alan Smith (Manchester United)
While playing for Manchester United in February 2006 against Liverpool in a FA Cup tie, Alan Smith severely dislocated his left ankle while rushing out to block a powerful freekick from John Arne Riise. United manager Sir Alex Ferguson described the injury as "one of the worst" he has ever seen, although Smith made a strong recovery to feature as a substitute seven months later. He then featured in a 7-1 thrashing of Roma in the Champions League, scoring a goal in what was one of the most memorable European nights at Old Trafford.
Smith transferred to Newcastle United in August of the following year and spent almost five years with the Magpies. Following his release in June 2012, Smith joined League One side Milton Keynes Dons on a two-year contract.
The former Leeds United star admits that the he was determined to recover from his injury, although there were long-lasting effects.
“Some people are told they will never walk again and manage to do it. It wasn’t a case of giving up for me. For 13 months I worked every day, trying to get back to some sort of level," Smith recalls.
“So, for me, the biggest achievement of my career has been playing again. It has made me a better person. It made me realise how much I do love football. It made me appreciate everything because it could be taken away from you just like that.
"When I look back, the injury made me a better person. Not a better footballer. There are deficiencies in my left ankle. It's probably 70 per cent different to my right.
"But, as a person, growing up, understanding what I'd achieved previously and making sure I tried to prolong my career, it really made me appreciate things."

4. Eduardo Da Silva (Arsenal)
Former Dinamo Zagreb striker Eduardo da Silva suffered a horrific leg break when playing for Arsenal against Birmingham City in February 2008, following a tackle by defender Martin Taylor. The challenge caught Eduardo on his left leg as his foot was planted in the ground, resulting in a broken fibula and open dislocation of the ankle.
The injury was so graphic that Sky Sports, which was broadcasting the game 'live', decided against showing replays of it. Eduardo was immediately sent to hospital, with the Gunners going on to draw the game 2-2.
Eduardo returned to action slightly less than a year later, and subsequently signed for Ukrainian giants Shakhtar Donetsk in July 2010.

Re: 10 Worst Football Injuries In Football World (viewers Discretion) by SortCode(m): 11:54am On Apr 23, 2015
5. Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal)
Described by Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger as someone with a "fantastic engine, good build, good technique and good vision", hopes were high for Aaron Ramsey when he signed from Cardiff in 2008 aged 17.
The Welsh midfielder was doing well at Arsenal before he suffered a double fracture in his right leg during a match against Stoke City in February 2010. This was caused by a challenge from Stoke defender Ryan Shawcross, which broke Ramsey's tibia and fibula; he only returned to action some nine months later, featuring for the Gunners' reserve side against Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Wenger launched a furious tirade against Shawcross after the match, calling the tackle, which was reminiscent of the injury suffered by Eduardo da Silva in 2008, 'horrendous' and urged the FA to impose a long ban on the defender.
Ramsey himself claims that he still has not received a proper apology from Shawcross apart from a text message after the incident, but says that he's "moved on".

6. Djibril Cisse (Liverpool & France)
France striker Djibril Cisse is probably one of the most unfortunate players in the game, having broke both his legs during his career so far.
The first injury occured during his Liverpool days in a match against Blackburn Rovers in October 2004. Cisse was challenging for a ball with Jay McEveley when his left boot got caught in the turf, resulting in his tibia and fibula being broken. The striker returned earlier to action than expected though, coming on as a substitute against Juventus in the Champions League in April 2005.
Cisse then broke his right leg while on international duty for France during a friendly against China. The striker was tackled by China captain Zheng Zhi and twisted his leg while falling, causing an open fracture of his tibia and thus ruling Cisse out of the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany.
The 31-year-old has done well to resume his career after the two injuries though, going on to play for Marseille, Sunderland, Panathinaikos, Lazio, and Queens Park Rangers in a nomadic career; he is currently on loan at Qatari club Al-Gharafa from QPR.

7. Luc Nilis (Aston Villa)
One of the most prolific strikers in Europe back in his time, Belgian Luc Nilis was the top-scorer in the Dutch Eredivisie during his PSV days in 1996 and 1997 as he struck up a deadly partnership with Ruud van Nistelrooy. However, Nilis had to end his career prematurely after suffering a broken leg in a game for Aston Villa against Ipswich Town in 2000.
The striker had scored on his debut for the club in the UEFA Intertoto Cup as well as on his league debut against Chelsea, but a collision with Ipswich goalkeeper Richard Wright in only his third league match left the striker with a right calf that was broken in two places.
That challenge ended then 33-year-old Nilis's career, although the striker absolved Wright of any blame, saying that the goalkeeper "didn't do it deliberately".
Nilis also feared amputation of his leg, which thankfully did not come to pass, and is also regretful that he couldn't contribute more during his time at Villa.
"It was the worst moment of my life to be told I might have to lose part of my leg - that will live with me forever," he said.
"It was such a bad break that it led to complications - and it was nearly a disaster. I cried when I was told. It was been a nightmare and sometimes I wonder how I can get through the day - it has affected me very badly mentally.
"It saddens me so much that Aston Villa never saw the best of me, but despite that they have stood by me and given me their support."

8. Bobby Zamora (Fulham)
Striker Bobby Zamora signed for Fulham from West Ham United in 2008, and had just signed a new deal with the Cottagers the day before he suffered a broken leg in a match against Wolverhampton Wanderers in September 2010.
Wolves captain Karl Henry put in a robust challenge on the striker in the first half of the game that led to Zamora breaking his ankle, with Henry rejecting allegations that he had set out to hurt his opponent after the game.
Zamora subsequently returned to action after five months of recovery, and is currently playing for struggling Queens Park Rangers after moving from Fulham in January 2012.

1 Share

Re: 10 Worst Football Injuries In Football World (viewers Discretion) by SortCode(m): 11:58am On Apr 23, 2015
9. Neil Taylor (Swansea City)
Wales left-back Neil Taylor suffered a broken ankle recently while playing for Swansea City against Sunderland on September last year, after a challenge on midfielder Craig Gardner.
The 23-year-old was hurt following a collision with Gardner as his lower left leg buckled under him as both players fell to the ground, and needed an oxygen mask as he was stretchered off the field.
Taylor is expected to be ruled out for the rest of the season, but is targeting a return to action before the end of the current campaign (2013/2014)

10. Marcin Wasilieaski (Anderlecht)
Anderlecht defender Wasilewski suffered a horrific double break of his right leg during his side's Jupiler League match against Standard Liege in August 2009.
Standard midfielder Alex Witsel appeared to stamp on the Pole's ankle in the 25th minute of the game and received a straight red card for the challenge, which kept Wasilewski out for nine months with open fractures of the tibia and fibula.
Witsel was subsequently banned for eight matches, while Wasilewski marked his return to action with a goal against Zulte Waregem in a 2-1 win.
The player has been hailed as a "club monument, who had to deliver an inhuman battle" by Anderlecht.

Re: 10 Worst Football Injuries In Football World (viewers Discretion) by Mancity26(m): 12:02pm On Apr 23, 2015
wey d injury nah?
Re: 10 Worst Football Injuries In Football World (viewers Discretion) by Nobody: 12:04pm On Apr 23, 2015
"First of all, I'mma live forever.."- Riley Freeman.
I know it doesn't relate here, I know..
Re: 10 Worst Football Injuries In Football World (viewers Discretion) by SortCode(m): 12:16pm On Apr 23, 2015
Mancity26:
wey d injury nah?
Still loading bro
Re: 10 Worst Football Injuries In Football World (viewers Discretion) by Nobody: 12:23pm On Apr 23, 2015
shocked Jesu!!!
Re: 10 Worst Football Injuries In Football World (viewers Discretion) by myqel(m): 12:40pm On Apr 23, 2015
Daniel Amokachi injury undecided
Re: 10 Worst Football Injuries In Football World (viewers Discretion) by seankafor(m): 1:02pm On Apr 23, 2015
nothing goes for nothing... When they flex their money some bad belles will be hating.
Re: 10 Worst Football Injuries In Football World (viewers Discretion) by SortCode(m): 1:11pm On Apr 23, 2015
myqel:
Daniel Amokachi injury undecided
No picture to support it ma'am wink
Re: 10 Worst Football Injuries In Football World (viewers Discretion) by Iaz93: 8:30pm On Apr 23, 2015
YEKPA!!
Roy Keane has always been a devil. angry

See demonic injuries. shocked embarassed

That's why even when I play my local football here, I no like dey tackle and I no like make person tackle me. .before you reach my side, I don pass. If I get that kyn Eduardo injury nkor? Where I wan start from? cry When I'm not being paid. Chai!
Re: 10 Worst Football Injuries In Football World (viewers Discretion) by Iaz93: 8:36pm On Apr 23, 2015
-
Re: 10 Worst Football Injuries In Football World (viewers Discretion) by kliq(m): 8:03am On Apr 24, 2015
Saw that of Cisse and Eduardo....Nasty sad
Re: 10 Worst Football Injuries In Football World (viewers Discretion) by RobinHez(m): 8:25am On Apr 24, 2015
Re: 10 Worst Football Injuries In Football World (viewers Discretion) by snadguy007(m): 5:00pm On May 14, 2015
Chisosssssss!!! Is this real?? shocked shocked

(1) (Reply)

need help:Won A Ticket Last Upper Week / Checkout The Top Six Hottest Nigerian Female Athletes At The Commonwealth 2014 / CAF-C License Coaching Course Opens In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.