Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,143 members, 7,821,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

My Frustrations In Fighting Corruption - Waziri, Efcc Boss - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Frustrations In Fighting Corruption - Waziri, Efcc Boss (679 Views)

Waziri’s EFCC Initiated $6m No-trial Deal With Suspect, Says Adoke / I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) / Why Mrs Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) Was Removed - Reuben Abati (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Frustrations In Fighting Corruption - Waziri, Efcc Boss by nwosas(m): 2:15pm On Feb 02, 2009
At the time she was appointed Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, the anti-graft agency was synonymous with her predecessor, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu. It was, therefore, not unexpected that her choice was widely criticised by those who felt Ribadu's removal was unnecessary and vindictive. However, Mrs Farida Waziri, a retired Inspector-General of Police and a lawyer, took the controversies that greeted her appointment in her stride. Over a year in the saddle, she has been prosecuting the anti-corruption war quietly, but not many Nigerians are impressed with her style. Fielding questions from Vanguard Editors last Friday, she expresses her frustration in the fight against corruption saying that 1000 EFCCs cannot effectively fight corruption in Nigeria. Her panacea; all hands must be on deck in the crusade. Speaking on her predecessor, she admits that he did a good job but unwittingly shot himself in the foot. Excerpts:
HOW has the journey been so far, with you at the helm of affairs of the anti-corruption agency?
I came here to thank you for supporting the EFCC amidst so much controversies and I have observed that you have been steadfast and not given in to what has been happening. For me, I felt from the beginning, that awareness was created on the war on corruption. Nigerians are wary of corruption and want to know who goes where and why. That was why I came amidst such controversies. I have remained focused. I have not been deterred at all. I felt I should come and thank you and solicit your assistance because there is no way we can fight this battle without your full support and cooperation.
I told someone when I travelled out (of the country) that the Metropolitan Police said I was not doing anything on the war against corruption and I asked them how they knew. They sit there in England and talk about Nigeria. I asked them the yardstick they are using and they said it is our newspapers. I told them that it is not everything they read in the newspapers, that should be taken seriously.http://www.vanguardngr.com/content/view/27726/48/
Re: My Frustrations In Fighting Corruption - Waziri, Efcc Boss by DisGuy: 2:29pm On Feb 02, 2009
I told someone when I travelled out (of the country) that the Metropolitan Police said I was not doing anything on the war against corruption and I asked them how they knew. They sit there in England and talk about Nigeria. I asked them the yardstick they are using and they said it is our newspapers. I told them that it is not everything they read in the newspapers, that should be taken seriously

typical mentality! why do some people feel you have to be at a place to know what's happening there?
when all the newspapers are saying the same thing without you proving them wrong then why wont they
take it serious, they have not been able to get a conviction for 2-3 years now, just court cases, if the AGF
is the problem she should be bold enough to say it
Re: My Frustrations In Fighting Corruption - Waziri, Efcc Boss by asha80(m): 2:43pm On Feb 02, 2009
The title should read "My Frustrations In making Nigerians Believe That I Am Fighting Corruption"
Re: My Frustrations In Fighting Corruption - Waziri, Efcc Boss by Nobody: 2:50pm On Feb 02, 2009
asha 80:

The title should read "My Frustrations In making Nigerians Believe That I Am Fighting Corruption"

cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

ROFLMAO!
Re: My Frustrations In Fighting Corruption - Waziri, Efcc Boss by JustGood(m): 3:22pm On Feb 02, 2009
My frustrations in fighting corruption — Waziri, EFCC boss
Written by VANGUARD

Monday, 02 February 2009

*Admits Ribadu did a good job, but he’s responsible for own travail
*Says 1000 EFCCs can’t eradicate graft

At the time she was appointed Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, the anti-graft agency was synonymous with her predecessor, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu. It was, therefore, not unexpected that her choice was widely criticised by those who felt Ribadu’s removal was unnecessary and vindictive. However, Mrs Farida Waziri, a retired Inspector-General of Police and a lawyer, took the controversies that greeted her appointment in her stride. Over a year in the saddle, she has been prosecuting the anti-corruption war quietly, but not many Nigerians are impressed with her style. Fielding questions from Vanguard Editors last Friday, she expresses her frustration in the fight against corruption saying that 1000 EFCCs cannot effectively fight corruption in Nigeria. Her panacea; all hands must be on deck in the crusade. Speaking on her predecessor, she admits that he did a good job but unwittingly shot himself in the foot. Excerpts:

HOW has the journey been so far, with you at the helm of affairs of the anti-corruption agency?

I came here to thank you for supporting the EFCC amidst so much controversies and I have observed that you have been steadfast and not given in to what has been happening. For me, I felt from the beginning, that awareness was created on the war on corruption. Nigerians are wary of corruption and want to know who goes where and why. That was why I came amidst such controversies. I have remained focused. I have not been deterred at all. I felt I should come and thank you and solicit your assistance because there is no way we can fight this battle without your full support and cooperation.

I told someone when I travelled out (of the country) that the Metropolitan Police said I was not doing anything on the war against corruption and I asked them how they knew. They sit there in England and talk about Nigeria. I asked them the yardstick they are using and they said it is our newspapers. I told them that it is not everything they read in the newspapers, that should be taken seriously.

Farida WaziriSometimes, you have to take it with a pinch of salt because we don’t know where it is coming from. I’m not accusing the Press because there are very good newspapers that gave me the opportunity, they have been supporting me. Some of them didn’t know me from Adam but they gave me the needed support. But, there are situations where people resist changes as well, these are people who are used to certain ways of doing things. When it comes to changes that they don’t know where that might lead to, they resist. I am still trying to build and find my feet amidst very difficult situations that I have found myself in.

I believe that actions speak louder and I believe that my actions should speak for me. I have been able to handle some high profile cases and the cases are still on-going. We have a lot of problems with the prosecution of these cases and they are there in courts and the cases have not commenced trial properly, even the ones I inherited from my predecessor. I’m sure you are aware of what is happening. The issue of jurisdiction has been a problem.

Where lawyers know that their clients have a very bad case from the charges and proof of evidence, they usually want to stall proceedings (to buy time). And anything can happen, fatigue may set in, people lose memory of vital parts of the case, people drop dead, people move and then, the whole case is thrown out.

So, these have been my problems and I expect this fight against economic crime and corruption to be everybody’s business. We want a nation that we can be proud of someday, everybody should be concerned with what is happening. There is so much propaganda. It is EFCC and Farida Waziri that are being attacked always. People think that Waziri is not fighting corruption. If a man is jailed, it is me that is blamed, when a man gets his passport released from the courts, it’s me that is also blamed.

I felt there is need for me to come out and let you know the true situation of things because I know that you make people know what is happening. At least, I don’t deserve what I’m getting and I think I deserve sympathy and that is why one of the things I did also, was the preventive aspect to inform and educate Nigerians that corruption is a mindset thing. Where the value system is upside down, people begin to cherish and worship money and those who stole are given chieftaincy titles, our children will feel that this is a better way of life. Let’s imbibe good values into the system. And we also need to educate the youths on corruption. We’ve started this youths re-orientation, when I launched it, Mr President was there and somebody wrote in the papers, attacking me.

When I met with the EU Ambassador, of course, they asked me and I read Section 6 of the EFCC Act to them and I also told them that the first duty of any law enforcement agency in the world, is the prevention of crimes. When you fail to stop these crimes, the first thing is apprehension and prosecution of offenders.

In a country where literacy level is low, of course, they will want to see people in handcuffs and being arraigned because they feel these people are responsible for their woes for sharing their commonwealth. So, I am here to thank you first and foremost and to also appeal to you, to support me and give me the chance as you have been doing. I’m not there to kill the war on corruption, I hate corruption, I have travelled out of this country, and I have seen the damage corruption can do to a nation. We don’t have any business being poor because we are a rich country. God has put me there and He will give me the strength to make a difference and by the time I’m leaving, corruption would have been reduced.

It’s not something that can be achieved overnight, It has been part of us for a long time, but I’m sure, we’ll make a difference.

You talked about the problems you face prosecuting suspects, especially delays in court. Your predecessor, also complained about it and I think there must be a solution. What solution are you proffering?

Yes, my predecessor complained about the same thing. He got three convictions based on plea bargaining only. Under normal circumstances, cases should be tried to a logical conclusion. I didn’t believe in plea bargaining when I came in, I didn’t want to use the system, but I never knew how difficult it would be. I believe the money they use is stolen, and it belongs to the Nigerian people. Yet, they use it to bargain for freedom or soft landing, what kind of law is that?

Of course, it’s been practised in the advanced countries, but I found that it is so bad and nobody wants to know, it’s very frustrating. All you need to do is open a case file, compile a case diary and prepare charges, go to court, follow due process and the court grants the person bail. The lawyer is there to file for fundamental human rights, even the passport that was seized will be used by the man to travel. He will pretend that he’s sick and travel to where the money is hidden. This is very frustrating.

That is why I expected good Nigerians to praise us but I’m surprised that everything that is happening is heaped on the EFCC. It’s as if they don’t know what some lawyers are doing. These (suspects) are people who are very rich, they have stolen so much money and they can share this money equally with the lawyers and these lawyers know that this is a bad case. So, instead of making the cases go on, they are stalled. If at the end of the tenure of this administration, matters are still like this, I don't think we will record any convictions.

I have written a protest letter and I have met with the Chief Justice of the Federation telling him about my frustration. I have also gone to the Court of Appeal and I have been assured that whenever this kind of thing happens, a plea will be taken and the case will proceed. I have written also as to why this should not be so, but I hope when we confide in other bodies, may be we would know what to do but we cannot allow matters to remain like this. I take the blame for everything.

I will need your medium to also enlighten people about what is going on. One thousand EFCCs cannot fight corruption in this country effectively. It’s a situation where all hands must be on deck. That is why we want people who are ready to go and testify; people who see what is wrong and ask questions and then challenge us. That is why we started this crusade of revolution.

But, would you consider extraordinary measures to fight corruption?

You see, this rule of law is beautiful in advanced countries but not in Nigeria. Can you imagine a situation where I wrote a letter to a sitting governor and his deputy who has immunity as well , to come and tell us one or two things about their staff and the governor refused? He listed ten banks that we must not go to and this is an educated governor.

I believe drastic measures must be taken because some other countries have done it. Small countries not as big as Nigeria, but Nigerians are taking their children to school there. People take out money to store in offshore accounts there known only to them and if they drop dead, their children will suffer. They are feeding those economies while their own people are dying of hunger. It’s only in Nigeria that such can happen.

So, any drastic step that can be taken to assuage this, should be done. Those people, stupidly feel that if they steal money and keep it outside in an offshore account, then, it is an investment. It’s not investment, it’s stupidity. At the end of the day, they are doing all these at the expense of the masses.

I share your frustration, but this is a society where poverty is prevalent. Your predecessor, Ribadu, was criticized just some years ago about arm-twisting and breaking the law to achieve an objective. Because of the society that we are in and the type of problems people are going through, it is consoling for them to think that the person they thought was doing a wonderful job is now being persecuted and you talked about the issue of people not wanting to come out to support you.

For Ribadu, whatever his vices were, his sins, rightly or wrongly creates a negative aura within the polity. How have you been coping and I believe part of the problems you are presently witnessing is based on the actions of what the system itself has thrown up.

I have heard this question several times about Ribadu’s persecution. Unfortunately for me, there is no way you will mention Ribadu without mentioning Farida. That is where the problem started from. Ribadu did a good job. But If I were him, he should not have made some mistakes because two wrongs don’t make a right. May be he handled the issue based on wrong advice. It is the way he handled it that made things worse for him.

For instance, he did not turn up when he was invited by the Inspector-General of Police. That was the bedrock of his problems. He took the Attorney-General and the Police Service Commission to court. I, who is his successor, invited him for some clarifications on some issues because he is the pioneer chairman of the commission. Instead of coming, he took me to court. So, he created a lot of issues.

I don’t know why he did that. He took the government to ECOWAS Court. He failed to realise that he is one person fighting many forces. He forgot that the government is an institution. I believe that people will get to know what is involved in the Ribadu saga in the long run.

The propaganda on it is much especially in the United States. The propaganda is like, why should that woman occupy that seat? Rubbishing Mrs Waziri and EFCC will not help in the fight against corruption. It is being made to look as if the office was created for one person. The Metropolitan Police once asked why Yar’Adua did not heed the advice of British Prime Minister on Ribadu’s removal.

I told them that what informed their question is because we are a Third World country. Can Yar’Adua question Gordon Brown, if any Scotland Yard Police is changed? There is so much propaganda that is going on. But I believe that the truth will prevail. I will not lose my focus. When EFCC was established, I was called upon and I submitted my CV. It was the time of Kanu Agabi, he said he was quite impressed with my CV.

I did not get the job and I was not bothered. I was not looking for a job then, I had my law firm. When I came back to the country, I was made a member of the EFCC. I believe my appointment is divine. I know that people don’t believe that God gives power in Nigeria. But I believe that mine is divine and that is why I will work within the rule of law.

How cooperative are the financial institutions with your commission in providing information especially on transactions made. How often do you get these information and how do you act on them?

When I assumed office, I set up a monitoring and intelligence unit. With that, we have to be proactive. We asked some banks to be reporting suspicious transactions but some of them are not complying. And it is deliberate. Money laundering has been going on through the banks. At the moment, we are handling cases in two banks. And we intend to beam our searchlight on more. We have warned them to report such transactions. The banks are aware that we are beaming searchlight on them.

How much support have you got from the National Assembly in terms of making laws to fight corruption?

We have the final draft with the Attorney-General. If we have that going for us, I think we will not face frustration of prosecution any more. The whole aim of stealing is to acquire property, so, if we have this law in place, we can attach the properties when we are prosecuting them. That will make it easier for such properties to be confiscated. It will help us in the fight against economic crimes.

This has helped in advanced countries and that is why we picked it up. We are hoping that the National Assembly will approve the bill. I am still looking at special courts. I did not do much on it because someone has introduced it to the Senate. They have deliberated on it. I think they are making some amendments on it. I know that if we have these special courts, things will be far better. A judge confided in me that with special courts, we can speed up this fight against corruption. We may visit some of the countries that have these courts to know how they operate.

In the case of Rivers State, there were different versions of the allegation and your spokes- person, Obafemi is quick to go to press, but when the case got to court, it was a different ball game entirely. What do you have to say on this?

I don’t think that Obafemi was quick to go to the press. I approve whatever he does. What you see in the press about EFCC, are speculations most times. Some of these stories are not from us. The president once called and asked why EFCC is always in the news. On the governors, I told Governor Fashola to use the Governors' Forum to launder the image of governors. I said that because of the perception about governors. He is the first governor I have ever visited and I did that to thank him for his good works in Lagos.

Chief Bode George and others are alleging selective prosecution because about 11 people were involved in the decision-making mechanism at the Nigeria Ports Authority (NPA) board. What has happened to the other six at large?

Thank you. As a lawyer, I cannot comment on cases that are already in court. It will be subjudice to do that.

Because of the immunity clause, state governors cannot be prosecuted. Since you assumed office, how many governors have been investigated?

With the immunity clause, you cannot prosecute but you can investigate. We are investigating but I can’t tell you the number.

You know one thing that caused Nuhu’s problem, was what he said that about thirty-one governors were corrupt. He said that they would be prosecuted after their tenure. I don’t want to name them because we learn from other people’s mistakes.

Why should Nigerians trust you because there is this belief that the powers that appointed you are pushing you around?

There is nothing like that. If Mr. President says I should do something within the rule of law, I will do it. Nobody has asked me to do anything and they know I am not a push around.

The impression out there is that you have godfathers who made sure you got the EFCC job. How true is this?

I read about it in the newspapers. Some even alleged that some powers appointed me. That is rubbish. I don’t know about godfathers. I only know my state governor. I don’t even know one of the governors they linked me with. I met him in the villa when I became EFCC chairman. Someone introduced us and I greeted him. This propaganda is to make sure that nobody gives me credit. It was even alleged that I collected a jeep from Akwa Ibom state governor. I don’t even know him and I am not investigating the state.

Support from donors and the international community

These people have their mechanism of finding information. I met EU Ambassadors and they briefed me on what they are expecting from me. We will continue in capacity building. We are working out something with the USA. When the new government is in place, we will go there. They have not stopped their support for us. I even called on them that we need more support. The fight against corruption affects them. You know the world is a global village, we need the support of everybody.

What message do you want this medium to take to the public, so that they will know that EFCC, under Farida is not a lame duck?

I need public support. We should know that this is our country and we must help it to grow. People should inform us when something is happening. I am ready to fight corruption in this country, but we must all be involved. And there is no way one thousand EFCCs can fight economic crime.

It is not only the EFCC. From the National Assembly to the media, we all have roles to play. I know that your medium is objective, I hope you support and make everybody know where the problem lies. We have the legislature, judiciary and the EFCC, so, people should know that there is a limit to what we can do. I have an idea of where this campaign of calumny is coming from, but I know that no condition is permanent. I am not saying that we will eradicate corruption, but it will be reduced greatly. Most importantly is that we need awareness in Nigeria.
Re: My Frustrations In Fighting Corruption - Waziri, Efcc Boss by jamace(m): 8:47pm On Feb 02, 2009
Who will bell this cat corruption Nigeria is indeed a difficult society. If you really want to fight corruption in Nigeria just write your will and obituary before you leave your family angry.
Re: My Frustrations In Fighting Corruption - Waziri, Efcc Boss by jamace(m): 9:47am On Mar 02, 2009
Judiciary, most of the fingers are pointing at you! Do something now! angry
Re: My Frustrations In Fighting Corruption - Waziri, Efcc Boss by hollandis(f): 9:58am On Mar 02, 2009
I counted more than a million I's in her interview
I did this
I did that
I said this
I I I I
too many I's
If you are frustrated just simply resign .What is it with our political offices holders and power.Once they grab it.they feel its theirs for keep.
Waziri should resign before the ovation becomes dull
Re: My Frustrations In Fighting Corruption - Waziri, Efcc Boss by eleven(m): 11:12am On Mar 02, 2009
hollandis:

I counted more than a million I's in her interview
I did this
I did that
I said this
I I I I
too many I's
If you are frustrated just simply resign .What is it with our political offices holders and power.Once they grab it.they feel its theirs for keep.
Waziri should resign before the ovation becomes dull

Which ovation??
Re: My Frustrations In Fighting Corruption - Waziri, Efcc Boss by jamace(m): 9:03pm On Mar 08, 2009
Yeepaaa! Mo gbe. Nigeria is finished. cry cry
Re: My Frustrations In Fighting Corruption - Waziri, Efcc Boss by Pataki: 11:54pm On Mar 08, 2009
This is my grouse with her just like that slowpoke in person of Maurice Iwu. When you know, people are not satisfied with your productivity, why not RESIGN? What purpose do you serve sitting there and making a nuisance of your name and generation? undecided
Re: My Frustrations In Fighting Corruption - Waziri, Efcc Boss by jamace(m): 3:11pm On Mar 14, 2009
Yes, let her resign if she truely believes in fighting corruption, yet her efforts are twarted.

I can only believe her sincerity if she resigns. angry
Re: My Frustrations In Fighting Corruption - Waziri, Efcc Boss by bawomolo(m): 4:22pm On Mar 14, 2009
the problem is Nigeria's judicial system isn't independent nor fair. When guys like Igbinedion are getting generous plea deals then what can the EFCC do. crime pays in Nigeria
Re: My Frustrations In Fighting Corruption - Waziri, Efcc Boss by Hardballer(m): 5:23pm On Mar 14, 2009
isnt that the cunt tht said she lost igbenedions case files . . . . . .lol

(1) (Reply)

Who Will Call Becommrich To Order? / I Don't Know Where This Belongs! / Own Any Equipment With Easy Leasing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.