Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,019 members, 7,814,489 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? (1951 Views)

Hospital Management Systems:why Hospitals Can’t Do Without This Technology / What Does This Message From Adsense Means / What Is Cloud Hosting: How Does It Really Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by cbrass(m): 10:40pm On Apr 25, 2015
Am curious to know how seun pulled that trick of showing the list of people viewing a thread. what's the technology behind it. I know PHP was involved but how did he do it?

Anyone with any Ideas?
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by pelij18(m): 11:42pm On Apr 25, 2015
Bros... Php is in no way behind the technology of nairaland, nairaland features are powered by python language, ask seun sha cos na wetin im talk.
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by Vinshu(f): 11:45pm On Apr 25, 2015
Nairaland is powered by PHP
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by cbrass(m): 12:06am On Apr 26, 2015
pelij18:
Bros... Php is in no way behind the technology of nairaland, nairaland features are powered by python language, ask seun sha cos na wetin im talk.

It's php o, Although the guy sabi phyton according to him. nairaland is SWF built on php.
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by cbrass(m): 12:08am On Apr 26, 2015
Vinshu:
Nairaland is powered by PHP

OK then do you have an idea of how they did that list of people viewing a thread
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by Nobody: 12:17am On Apr 26, 2015
Search it on smf mods, i got a phpbb forum mine is called who is viewing a topic mod its found on the phpbb mod database i believe you can find the similar to any forum software just look at the mods at their website,
*Modified

If you using smf this is what you looking for http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=438938.0
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by cbrass(m): 12:55am On Apr 26, 2015
denzmark:
Search it on smf mods, i got a phpbb forum mine is called who is viewing a topic mod its found on the phpbb mod database i believe you can find the similar to any forum software just look at the mods at their website,
*Modified

If you using smf this is what you looking for http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=438938.0

I want to do it my self smiley
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by onyengbu: 2:49am On Apr 26, 2015
cbrass:

I want to do it my self smiley
if you are even just an intermediate php coder, it is one of the easiest thing to do.
Just store users details in database when they login and update the page url each time they enter any page. Then on pages like this reply page, select logged users whose page url matches the current page. Those are the ones viewing it.
Its pretty easy.
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by pelij18(m): 5:23am On Apr 26, 2015
cbrass:

It's php o, Although the guy sabi phyton according to him. nairaland is SWF built on php.
Ok oooo, but permitt me to stand on the side of seun.
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by cbrass(m): 7:13am On Apr 26, 2015
onyengbu:

if you are even just an intermediate php coder, it is one of the easiest thing to do.
Just store users details in database when they login and update the page url each time they enter any page. Then on pages like this reply page, select logged users whose page url matches the current page. Those are the ones viewing it.
Its pretty easy.

Although I haven't tried your method but I have this feeling it may not work. But I figured a way out. When users login update their logged in status to anything then update their topics view with the id of the topic they are viewing, check the id of each topic viewed with the number of users that have same Id in topics _view then echo it out smiley
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by Seun(m): 7:17am On Apr 26, 2015
cbrass:

false
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by MizJayne(f): 7:33am On Apr 26, 2015
Seun:
false
Pls seun am sorry for diverting on the topic,my question is how do I know I av PMs and how do I check them,thanks.
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by cbrass(m): 8:40am On Apr 26, 2015
Seun:
false

But swf is PHP nw undecided
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by cbrass(m): 8:44am On Apr 26, 2015
MizJayne:

Pls seun am sorry for diverting on the topic,my question is how do I know I av PMs and how do I check them,thanks.

Just check your email u used to register
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by MizJayne(f): 10:05am On Apr 26, 2015
cbrass:

Just check your email u used to register
Ook,thanks.
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by onyengbu: 10:27am On Apr 26, 2015
cbrass:

Although I haven't tried your method but I have this feeling it may not work. But I figured a way out. When users login update their logged in status to anything then update their topics view with the id of the topic they are viewing, check the id of each topic viewed with the number of users that have same Id in topics _view then echo it out smiley
You dissapointed me there cos I was hoping to hear why you think it wont work. You havent tried it yet you have a 'feeling' it wont work. Ok ooo. That sounds like arrogance to me since you are just thinking about doing such an age long process for the first time and yet you 'feel' a suggestion you are given wont work without tendering any technical reason why you think so.
Your method is just not very different from what I said earlier except it has some few shortcomings. What about pages without querystrings?
Again my method also incorporates guest viewers who are counted by generating unique session id on entering the site.
Lastly, I am not profering an idea that might work, I only told you what I have been doing for years now.
Anyway I have a feeling contributed my own bit to the discussion.

1 Like

Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by cyrielo(m): 10:41am On Apr 26, 2015
^^ Bro cool down, cool
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Apr 26, 2015
cbrass:

OK then do you have an idea of how they did that list of people viewing a thread

Well, if i were to do it, it would be a long code but will work.. See how:

- Create a database table for people viewing a thread
- Insert usernames into that table whenever the person visit the thread and stays on it..
- Have a cron job that clears the table eery 10 minutes in case the person switch off his phone or just leaves nairaland grin

Trust me, it will work. hahaha

1 Like

Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by onyengbu: 1:21pm On Apr 26, 2015
cyrielo:
^^ Bro cool down, cool
I think I am cool just that I prefer intelectual arguments to emotional ones.
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by cbrass(m): 3:16pm On Apr 26, 2015
onyengbu:

You dissapointed me there cos I was hoping to hear why you think it wont work. You havent tried it yet you have a 'feeling' it wont work. Ok ooo. That sounds like arrogance to me since you are just thinking about doing such an age long process for the first time and yet you 'feel' a suggestion you are given wont work without tendering any technical reason why you think so.
Your method is just not very different from what I said earlier except it has some few shortcomings. What about pages without querystrings?
Again my method also incorporates guest viewers who are counted by generating unique session id on entering the site.
Lastly, I am not profering an idea that might work, I only told you what I have been doing for years now.
Anyway I have a feeling contributed my own bit to the discussion.

Am sorry I don't mean to be arrogant bro wink and sorry for my quick judgement. I just thought that since I will use a single page to pull out topics according to the user request and automatically carry out the list of ppl viewing the topic, but you seem to knock me out with the guest thing, never thought of guests viewing too wink
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by cbrass(m): 3:19pm On Apr 26, 2015
MizJayne:

Ook,thanks.

You welcome
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by adewasco2k(m): 10:40pm On Apr 26, 2015
cbrass:

But swf is PHP nw undecided

c'mon that is no big deal....imagine i develop a school portal system in php and you are a good python developer, you can easily develop same school portal with python.

there is also many ways to convert php codes to python like php2py and others
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by isalegan2: 4:31pm On May 11, 2015
SEUN,

How did a thread on bestiality, complete with picture, get on the Nairaland homepage?

It was at page 10 when I saw it around late afternoon/evening of Sunday, May 10. And I did not have to be logged in to view it.

I await your response.
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by cbrass(m): 4:40pm On May 11, 2015
isalegan2:
SEUN,

How did a thread on bestiality, complete with picture, get on the Nairaland homepage?

It was at page 10 when I saw it around late afternoon/evening of Sunday, May 10. And I did not have to be logged in to view it.

I await your response.

Post the link
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by isalegan2: 5:20pm On May 11, 2015
cbrass:

Post the link

Not necessary. He knows it was there. I just want to know how it got to home page.
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by EMIOMOADEOYE: 10:35am On Oct 25, 2023
cbrass:
Am curious to know how seun pulled that trick of showing the list of people viewing a thread. what's the technology behind it. I know PHP was involved but how did he do it?

Anyone with any Ideas?

Your signature....

If you put her in a class, she has become an object.....a variable object
Re: How Does This Technology Work On Nairaland? by JAPAHTML: 9:42am On Oct 28, 2023
Seun:
false
Baba

(1) (Reply)

USA Bank Account For Non-resident / Looking For Bloggers Who Allow Sponsor Post In Their Blogs / Start Your Web Hosting Company With Whmcs Unlimited License

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.