Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,461 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:02 AM

The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions (25154 Views)

Nigeria And The Call For True Federalism And Resource Control / True Federalism, Its Advantages And Implications. / Only True Federalism Can Resolve Nigeria’s Problems – Ambode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by Nehemiah459(m): 8:55am On Apr 26, 2015
Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by Truckpusher(m): 1:04pm On Apr 26, 2015
In as much as the writer highlighted some of the problems bedeviling Nigeria's unity it is worthy to note that our disunity started in 1958 when oil was discovered in the Niger Delta in commercial quantity, hence fueling the greed that a particular region would become economically dominant and a dissenting voice of the minorities of the then Eastern region which was used as a launching pad to divide,rule and plunder - Ojukwu was only naive to have taken the bait at the wrong time.

And finally , as long as our overdependency on oil is not checkmated by other source of revenue generation the disunity and fraudulent unitary system of Governance would always stay and my greatest fear is that a people would have no choice than choose the barrel of the gun and it's a lose lose situation.

No region in this country deserves the marginalization and environmental degradation we are witnessing in the Niger Delta.
With all this in mind I suggest that we should go back to fiscal federalism with a strong militarily strong center to curb in any form of secession which has been the greatest fear of the other regions.
If we fail to use peaceful agitation to right our wrongs ,we would have to make a hard choice at some point.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by okotv(m): 1:11pm On Apr 26, 2015
Truckpusher:
In as much as the writer highlighted some of the problems bedeviling Nigeria's unity it is worthy to note that our disunity started in 1958 when oil was discovered in the Niger Delta in commercial quantity, hence fueling the greed that a particular region would become economically dominant and a dissenting voice of the minorities of the then Eastern region which was used as a launching pad to divide,rule and plunder - Ojukwu was only naive to have taken the bait at the wrong time.

And finally , as long as our overdependency on oil is not checkmated by other source of revenue generation the disunity and fraudulent unitary system of Governance would always stay and my greatest fear is that a people would have no choice than choose the barrel of the gun and it's a lose lose situation.

No region in this country deserves the marginalization and environmental degradation we are witnessing in the Niger Delta.
With all this in mind I suggest that we should go back to fiscal federalism with a strong militarily strong center to curb in any form of secession which has been the greatest fear of the other regions.
If we fail to use peaceful agitation to right our wrongs ,we would have to make a hard choice at some point.
you deserve a presidential adviser post for this comment

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by Truckpusher(m): 1:27pm On Apr 26, 2015
okotv:
you deserve a presidential adviser post for this comment
O yeah! The same way they've used the NDDC and amnesty to settle Niger Delta elites and some criminal elements that claimed to be fighting for the Niger Delta people.

Don't give me the eggs , give me back my poultry farm, is that one too much to ask for ?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by okotv(m): 1:36pm On Apr 26, 2015
Truckpusher:
O yeah! The same way they've used the NDDC and amnesty to settle Niger Delta elites and some criminal elements that claimed to be fighting for the Niger Delta people.

Don't give me the eggs , give me back my poultry farm, is that one too much to ask for ?
are you aware am from the Niger-Delta
Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by Truckpusher(m): 1:49pm On Apr 26, 2015
okotv:
are you aware am from the Niger-Delta
You said that before and I don't believe you either.

A real Niger Deltan will always understand my pains for our unborn children.

I'm also aware that some of our own do not see anything wrong with what is happening.

I'm not a secessionist anyway - all I'm asking for is a fair share of my God given wealth and a better life for my people as their environment have been used and is still being used to keep Nigeria running for more than 40 years.

Any Niger Delta person will feel my pains , my fear and my disappointment.

You can argue about holding our leaders responsible for the little that was given to them but the question is why should it be given to agitators and criminals and not the people through a people oriented policies ?

It is about settling the elites and the rest can go burn in hell.
Surprise me again bro.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by okotv(m): 2:02pm On Apr 26, 2015
Truckpusher:
You said that before and I don't believe you either.

A real Niger Deltan will always understand my pains for our unborn children.

I'm also aware that some of our own do not see anything wrong with what is happening.

I'm not a secessionist anyway - all I'm asking for is a fair share of my God given wealth and a better life for my people as their environment have been used and is still being used to keep Nigeria running for more than 40 years.

Any Niger Delta person will feel my pains , my fear and my disappointment.

You can argue about holding our leaders responsible for the little that was given to them but the question is why should it be given to agitators and criminals and not the people through a people oriented policies ?

It is about settling the elites and the rest can go burn in hell.
Surprise me again bro.
You can make up anything about me. You see, to be Frank I don't feel the pain of those leaving in the ND not because I am not from there but because am more concerned about the politics of where I leave and how it affects me directly. I see everyone as a brother no matter where you are from.

Jonathan had the opportunity to change the fortune of the ND for the better but he decided against it. You don't expect someone not from there to do otherwise. We can make Nigeria better and without oil we can achieve that.

1 Like

Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by Truckpusher(m): 2:06pm On Apr 26, 2015
okotv:
You can make up anything about me. You see, to be Frank I don't feel the pain of those leaving in the ND not because I am not from there but because am more concerned about the politics of where I leave and how it affects me directly. I see everyone as a brother no matter where you are from.

Jonathan had the opportunity to change the fortune of the ND for the better but he decided against it. You don't expect someone not from there to do otherwise. We can make Nigeria better and without oil we can achieve that.
Whatever that soothes you.

I know some lost folks - When the chips are down you will be reminded.
There is an adage that says that when a drum sings louder and louder , the people around would be forced to name the particular tree that was used in making that drum.

Everybody is your brother doesn't mean that your environment should be plundered with nothing to show for it .
Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by okotv(m): 2:15pm On Apr 26, 2015
Truckpusher:
Whatever that soothes you.

I know some lost folks - When the chips are down you will be reminded.
There is an adage that says that when a drum sings louder and louder , the people around would be forced to name the particular tree that was used in making that drum.

Everybody is your brother doesn't mean that your environment should be plundered with nothing to show for it .
the problems of the ND is the same as that of Nigeria. Greedy leaders.
Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by Truckpusher(m): 2:18pm On Apr 26, 2015
okotv:
the problems of the ND is the same as that of Nigeria. Greedy leaders.
You're right but I'm speaking for my primary constituency, the place of my abode ,my home and my source of livelihood.
Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by Nobody: 2:21pm On Apr 26, 2015
Truckpusher, I'm here with you. I'm not in the proper disposition to contribute meaningfully at length to an issue that not only troubles me, but shall give my kids more troubles in the future.

All I can say for now is, God punish Lord Lugard!

At one point , given the frustration we are experiencing, the battle shall be reignited, and this time, it shall be more purposeful than the play our militants engage in now.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by superstar1(m): 2:23pm On Apr 26, 2015
The oil is not the initial problem of Nigeria.

The initial problem of Nigeria started from the cancellation of our regions and amalgamation of the power at the centre by Ironsi.

We have never recovered from it again.

Talking of oil, so far others have made enough concessions which include the following :

1. Normal allocation
2. 13% derivation
3. NDDC
4. Amnesty Programme
5. Ministry of ND
6. CSRs of Oil Majors.
Etc

Is the development on ground in ND, commensurate with the amount of money spent all those highlighted initiatives so far?

If the answer is NO, then it means there is fundamental problem of insincere leadership in ND.

2 Likes

Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by Truckpusher(m): 2:24pm On Apr 26, 2015
dearpreye:
Truckpusher, I'm here with you. I'm not in the proper disposition to contribute meaningfully at length to an issue that not only troubles me, but shall give my kids more troubles in the future.

All I can say for now is, God punish Lord Lugard!

At one point , given the frustration we are experiencing, the battle shall be reignited, and this time, it shall be more purposeful than the play our militants engage in now.
You called them militants , I call them a criminal enterprise who do not care about the environment or her people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by okotv(m): 2:25pm On Apr 26, 2015
Truckpusher:
You're right but I'm speaking for my primary constituency, the place of my abode ,my home and my source of livelihood.
Leaders rule there too. Don't expect someone to spoon feed you cause you have food at home. Go out and labour. Funny enough, you have a well paying job and lead a comfortable life through hardwork, encourage your descendants just like Buhari had done to be hardworking and see if they won't make it. Fear not for the future.
Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by Truckpusher(m): 2:39pm On Apr 26, 2015
okotv:
Leaders rule there too. Don't expect someone to spoon feed you cause you have food at home. Go out and labour. Funny enough, you have a well paying job and lead a comfortable life through hardwork, encourage your descendants just like Buhari had done to be hardworking and see if they won't make it. Fear not for the future.
Your assumptions are quite naive my brother.

You can never be comfortable when poverty and ignorance surrounds you.

What about the youth restiveness caused by untold hardship which was as a result of deliberate marginalization ?
How about the rising criminal gangs that is holding sway because they were left with no choice than to join up a criminal gang to put food on their table in the midst of plenty?

How much will it cost the Nigerian government to make policies that would deliver growth,basic amenities , infrastructure,well defined socio economic policies to the very people that do not have a voice?

What will it take away from the Nigerian government to do what is right before all hell breaks loose?

As I'm talking to you right now , armed groups are springing up everywhere in the Niger Delta everyday and it is sad because it will spread round the south and the entire country then it would be too late.
Talking about JONATHAN having all it takes to fix the Niger Delta is a provocative statement to my sense of reasoning and intelligence , such statement is an insult on our collective intelligence as a people and I want you to recant those words.

Like I said before , until we do what is right we will always have problem not only in the Niger Delta but across the country.
I hope you aware that the kidnapping that started in the Niger Delta as a political statement has been hijacked by criminals and its spreading throughout the entire SE and is gradually creeping into SW and this is the crux of the matter.

Any form of cruelty that gives birth to any criminal enterprise will always affect everyone of us and I want you to know that you're not free until your neighbor is free.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by okotv(m): 2:46pm On Apr 26, 2015
Truckpusher:
Your assumptions are quite naive my brother.

You can never be comfortable when poverty and ignorance surrounds you.

What about the youth restiveness caused by untold hardship which was as a result of deliberate marginalization ?
How about the rising criminal gangs that is holding sway because they were left with no choice than to join up a criminal gang to put food on their table in the midst of plenty?

How much will it cost the Nigerian government to make policies that would deliver growth,basic amenities , infrastructure,well defined socio economic policies to the very people that do not have a voice?

What will it take away from the Nigerian government to do what is right before all hell breaks loose?

As I'm talking to you right now , armed groups are springing up everywhere in the Niger Delta everyday and it is sad because it will spread round the south and the entire country then it would be too late.
Talking about JONATHAN having all it takes to fix the Niger Delta is a provocative statement to my sense of reasoning and intelligence , such statement is an insult on our collective intelligence as a people and I want you to recant those words.

Like I said before , until we do what is right we will always have problem not only in the Niger Delta but across the country.
I hope you aware that the kidnapping that started in the Niger Delta as a political statement has been hijacked by criminals and its spreading throughout the entire SE and is gradually creeping into SW and this is the crux of the matter.

Any form of cruelty that gives birth to any criminal enterprise will always affect everyone of us and I want you to know that you're not free until your neighbor is free.
I expect things to get worse before we get it right again. Any criminal caught should be punished.

As for Jonathan, he had the chance but he fluffed it. Why then should the whole country suffer for his indecisions Do you know how many people have suffered death, homelessness and fear in the North east my senior colleagues have lost their lives defending this country and you are...
Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by Truckpusher(m): 2:50pm On Apr 26, 2015
okotv:
I expect things to get worse before we get it right again. Any criminal caught should be punished.
Boy, you make me laugh. grin

The number of human resources that would be lost due to your ideology would be immeasurable .
We don't need to go down that lane before common sense prevails and the voice of reason should be heard.

We need to get it right , now.
Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by okotv(m): 2:52pm On Apr 26, 2015
Truckpusher:
Boy, you make me laugh. grin

The number of human resources that would be lost due to your ideology would be immeasurable .
We don't need to go down that lane before common sense prevails and the voice of reason should be heard.

We need to get it right , now.
and who is the president right now
Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by Truckpusher(m): 2:56pm On Apr 26, 2015
okotv:
and who is the president right now
In our fraudulent democracy with a flawed constitution and a country built on falsehood and structure of lies and deceit ,the President can only do and undo if he's from a particular region.

Go figure......

1 Like

Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by okotv(m): 2:59pm On Apr 26, 2015
Truckpusher:
In our fraudulent democracy with a flawed constitution and a country built on falsehood and structure of lies and deceit ,the President can only do and undo if he's from a particular region.

Go figure......
Someone has decided to bear the pain of rebuilding this nation but you folks keep calling him babaonechance....I hope he surprises you all
Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by Truckpusher(m): 3:19pm On Apr 26, 2015
okotv:
Someone has decided to bear the pain of rebuilding this nation but you folks keep calling him babaonechance....I hope he surprises you all
The one that has already started denying his electoral promises? undecided

Permit me to say : BABAONECHANCE. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by Gboliwe: 3:42pm On Apr 26, 2015
I am with TruckPusher on this. Adding anything else is just a play with words

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by codedguy1(m): 5:11pm On Apr 26, 2015
The present constitution and structure of this Nation makes it impossible to progress at the pace we ought to.
Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by stanech: 5:42pm On Apr 26, 2015
until we remove quota system. national grid etc

then we have a problem
Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by okotv(m): 6:48pm On Apr 26, 2015
Truckpusher:
The one that has already started denying his electoral promises? undecided

Permit me to say : BABAONECHANCE. grin
you are one funny guy
Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by UncleSnr(m): 9:21pm On Apr 26, 2015
stanech:
until we remove quota system. national grid etc

then we have a problem
The quota system is one of the biggest problem we have in Nigeria.
Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by thunderrider: 10:28am On Apr 27, 2015
The oil boom was our undoing

Twas more of a c..se than blessing

Possibly we might have been a better and stronger nation now if oil was not discovered
Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by Nehemiah459(m): 6:57pm On Jul 30, 2015
thunderrider:
The oil boom was our undoing

Twas more of a c..se than blessing

Possibly we might have been a better and stronger nation now if oil was not discovered
It is never a curse. The problem is that we never managed it well.
Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by ChimaAdeoye: 9:11pm On Jul 30, 2015
[size=14pt]If you want to fix Nigeria, fix it's weird form of "federalism"

Give all the oil money to the state they are extracted and have them pay royalties or taxes to the Federal government as it is done in America.

Give all northern states the right to mine and sell their solid minerals and pay taxes to the FG.

if you do these, Nigeria will become a peaceful prosperous place because there would be no need to cheat anyone.[/size]

1 Like

Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by Duru1(m): 9:37pm On Jul 30, 2015
Truckpusher:

The bolded is one of the major problems of Nigeria thus being economical with the truth or outright display of ignorance.
Re: The Problems Of Nigerian Federalism And Proffered Solutions by UncleSnr(m): 9:50pm On Jul 30, 2015
Quick Quick, Lalasticlala, Ishilove - Who is on duty today?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Going Back To 1980 – Sanusi / Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Honoured At The August Meeting In Imo. PICS / Reno Omokri Accepts Pres Buhari’s Challenge : Proves He Is A Liar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.