Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,717 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:51 PM

Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? (19136 Views)

Is Pastor Kumuyi Really A Human Being? / The Devil Is Powerless Without Your Fear. / A Prayerless Christian Is A Playing Christian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Gombs(m): 12:23pm On Apr 26, 2015
But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth (Acts 1:8 ).

Some people say, "A prayer-less Christian is a powerless Christian". But power doesn't come by prayer. In the New Testament, the word "power" is frequently translated from two words, namely: "dunamis" which is the dynamic ability to cause changes and "exousia" which is authority.

Jesus refers to power in our opening verse. You received it when the Holy Spirit came into your life; you didn't get it through the effect of prayer. On the other hand, 'exousia' or authority means delegated power. The effect and the efficacy of authority depends on the power that's behind it.

We've been given authority in Christ Jesus to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power (ability) of the enemy (Luke 10:19). The "power" that's behind our authority is the power of the Almighty God. This, again, didn't come by or through prayer; it was bequeathed to us in Christ as our heritage.

In Matthew 28:18, Jesus said, "...All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth". That word, "power" again is translated from the Greek word "exousia", authority. In the next verse He said, "Go ye therefore...." He delegated His authority to us immediately. Halleluiah!

It's important for us to know what we have in Christ Jesus; we have authority in His Name! We have power to effect changes and live the supernatural life every day. I would to God that Christians would know this! What impact and changes we'll make in this world!

You're fully equipped with divine power to preach the Gospel and change the world! That power is in you through the Holy Spirit.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Ishilove: 12:27pm On Apr 26, 2015
A prayerless Christian Is a powerless Christian. Any other thing is by grace

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by kay1one2(m): 12:50pm On Apr 26, 2015
"...this kind doesn't come out except by prayer and fasting"! Prayer is the source of power. "...God gives His Holy Spirit to those who ask." Our earthy fathers do not give us a stone if we ask for bread!

15 Likes

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Gombs(m): 1:07pm On Apr 26, 2015
Ishilove:
A prayerless Christian Is a powerless Christian. Any other thing is by grace

Did the apostles pray before they received power? If yes, show proof. Put Acts 1:8 in perspective

Thanks.
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Gombs(m): 1:15pm On Apr 26, 2015
kay1one2:
"...this kind doesn't come out except by prayer and fasting"! Prayer is the source of power. "...God gives His Holy Spirit to those who ask." Our earthy fathers do not give us a stone if we ask for bread!

Maybe you skipped this line in the OP

Jesus refers to power in our opening verse. [size=18pt]You received it when the Holy Spirit came into your life; you didn't get it through the effect of prayer. [/size]On the other hand, 'exousia' or authority means delegated power. The effect and the efficacy of authority depends on the power that's behind it.

As for the praying and fasting thing to cast out a demon or do the miraculous, it's not that prayer gave you the power, it only stirred it up.

2Ti 1:6 Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands

You can't have power without the Holy Spirit.

2 Likes

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by An0nimus: 1:40pm On Apr 26, 2015
Interesting perspective Gombs, interesting.

As for the praying and fasting thing to cast out a demon or do the miraculous, it's not that
prayer gave you the power, it only stirred it
up.
If one is ignorant of or doesn't pray and stir this power in him. Isn't he considered powerless before the enemy?

1 Like

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by SleekyP(m): 1:43pm On Apr 26, 2015
brb
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by onila(f): 1:43pm On Apr 26, 2015

3 Likes

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Ymodulus: 1:44pm On Apr 26, 2015
Typing

Prayer leads to a false sense of accomplishment. That false sense of accomplishment stymies action to address real world problems.

While the main purpose of prayer may be to help others, it never demonstrably does that. Prayers benefit only those believers who say or hear them. Prayer gives them comfort. It lets them think they have some control over a situation that may be out of their hands. It’s the last resort of people who have run out of ideas, and the first resort of people who never bothered to think about how they could actually fix the problem at hand.

It is illogical, even in religious terms. If God has a plan, why try to thwart it? If God can be swayed by prayers, what kind of God would allow the horrors we see in the world? And if two devout believers pray for different things, how does God choose the winner?

In Conclusion Prayer is useless and as such does not give or make someone powerful

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Saucekide25(m): 1:45pm On Apr 26, 2015
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by femi4: 1:46pm On Apr 26, 2015
Gombs:
But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth (Acts 1:8 ).

Some people say, "A prayer-less Christian is a powerless Christian". But power doesn't come by prayer. In the New Testament, the word "power" is frequently translated from two words, namely: "dunamis" which is the dynamic ability to cause changes and "exousia" which is authority.

Jesus refers to power in our opening verse. You received it when the Holy Spirit came into your life; you didn't get it through the effect of prayer. On the other hand, 'exousia' or authority means delegated power. The effect and the efficacy of authority depends on the power that's behind it.

We've been given authority in Christ Jesus to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power (ability) of the enemy (Luke 10:19). The "power" that's behind our authority is the power of the Almighty God. This, again, didn't come by or through prayer; it was bequeathed to us in Christ as our heritage.

In Matthew 28:18, Jesus said, "...All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth". That word, "power" again is translated from the Greek word "exousia", authority. In the next verse He said, "Go ye therefore...." He delegated His authority to us immediately. Halleluiah!

It's important for us to know what we have in Christ Jesus; we have authority in His Name! We have power to effect changes and live the supernatural life every day. I would to God that Christians would know this! What impact and changes we'll make in this world!

You're fully equipped with divine power to preach the Gospel and change the world! That power is in you through the Holy Spirit.
Power to witness is what the scripture is talking about in Act 1:8

1 Like

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by RockMaxi: 1:47pm On Apr 26, 2015
@Gombs, have you heard of John Knox? Have you read 2Corinthians10:4-8, Matthew 17:16-21? You may have asked for our opinion of Acts1:8 but it seems you already have an answer for yourself.
The day you start having greater responsibilities in Christ, you will know that this type of things does not go out except by fasting and prayer. Cheers

Edited:
RockMaxi:

@Gombs, where and what is your ministry?

3 Likes

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by omhowunmeey: 1:47pm On Apr 26, 2015
Its gud 2 pray. Bt more positive thinking makes ur prayer answer. Its not in d duration bt prayin right. Ephe 3;20.

1 Like

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by christaddicted: 1:48pm On Apr 26, 2015
Op, prayer is as essential as the air you breath.
How else will you communicate to/with God if not through prayer.

Besides, prayer is one of the major acts of righteousness. They re as follows:
-Prayer
-Fast
-Give (give or devote your time(quality time with God in the place of studying the Word), treasure & talent to the will,commandment or law of God & to His kingdom)

My Lord Jesus did it & led the Way for me to follow.

If you don't pray, you become a prey.

Have u forgotten that verse that says "this cannot go out except by PRAYING & fasting"? That was what Jesus said to His apostles.

I obtain power in the place of prayer.

My encounters with demons, witches, occultists & marine spirits confirmed my prayer life.

Op really needs a strong teaching class.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by motherlode: 1:48pm On Apr 26, 2015
A prayerless Christian is a powerless Christian!

With reference to Matt 7:7
you can only receive power (through the holy spirit) when you ask God in prayer!

Do you remember the day of pentecost, when those in the gathering began speaking in tongues ( they received the holy spirit through PRAYER )
always put in mind this passage of the bible JAMES 5:16 ........... The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

3 Likes

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Apr 26, 2015
In my opinion, xtianity is a religion, being like christ is a duty, being prayerful is part of dat duty.

1 Like

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by emmkid(m): 1:50pm On Apr 26, 2015
.na tru tok, tokin from Experience! 1st tym in ma lyf! 1st page tins, dedicated to My Gf, Oyeniyi Oluyinka Hannah, my patience since d day i signed up iyaf payoff,
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by slap1(m): 1:51pm On Apr 26, 2015
The evil manipulations of the 21st century are higher than ever before. Constant prayer is needed.

Ephesians chapter 6 from 10 to 17 advises us to put on the whole armour of God because we wrestle not against flesh and blood. The chapter 18 says:

"Do all this in prayer, asking for God's help. Pray on every occasion, as the Spirit leads. For this reason keep alert and never give up; pray always for all God's people."

6 Likes

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by Jimohsunday: 1:51pm On Apr 26, 2015
that's d truth ooo
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by factorial1(m): 1:51pm On Apr 26, 2015
Though power comes when one receive the Holy Spirit... But, it is on our own part to get the power renewed...in which one of the way to renew ones strength in the Lord is by Praying.

#Shalom

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by slymichael(m): 1:52pm On Apr 26, 2015
Very very very powerless

1 Like

Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by TOPMAN4LIFE: 1:53pm On Apr 26, 2015
Yes, prayer gives power
I know many born again xtians who stil suffer in d hand of enemy because of prayerlessness
Re: Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? by femi4: 1:53pm On Apr 26, 2015
Gombs:

Did the apostles pray before they received power? If yes, show proof. Put Acts 1:8 in perspective

Thanks.
Act 2:1 What does it mean to be in one accord?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Unbox Your Special Christmas Gift So Far And Post Pictures / HELP! My Prayers Work On People Than Myself... / Is It A Sin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.