Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,020 members, 7,810,826 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:16 PM

Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados (4070 Views)

Tories Plan To Kick 30,000 Non EU-Nurses Out Of Britain / Experience Of The Ordeal Of The Survivor Of The Sandy Elementary School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados by Sammy107d(m): 8:15am On Feb 03, 2009
Nigerian nurses at QEH die of AIDS

Peter Thorne

January 12, 2009

Three nurses recruited to Barbados from Nigeria died from the HIV/AIDS virus last year.

CBC understands that 3 of the more than 70 nurses from Nigeria who worked in Barbados during the past three years, including at the QEH have contracted the HIV/AIDS virus and have died.

Sources say two of the nurses left Barbados in body bags, whilst the other was accompanied by another colleague back to Abuja where she passed away.

Health officials requesting anonymity have confirmed the deaths, but stressed that at all times provisions were put in place to protect patients.

It was back in 2007 that Barbadian health authorities turned to Nigeria to recruit nurses.

And in April 2007 the authorities reported that 18 Nigerian nurses were already in Barbados working, whilst 54 more had been cleared with even more expected in 2008.

Then over a year later in June 2008 officials at the QEH terminated the contracts of several Nigerian nurses.

Back then the NUPW reported that the contracts between the Nigerian nurses and the QEH were flawed.

This after several of the Nigerian nurses had failed an exam as eligibility to work here on more than two occasions.

And health officials say that with the HIV problem of Nigerian nurses coming to the fore, the authorities at the QEH started to look elsewhere for recruits with the Philippines and St Vincent and the Grenadines fitting the bill.

Sources say that by turning to Nigeria, Barbados' authorities breached a code of conduct in the profession of taking nurses from within a jurisdiction that's already short of such professionals.

Health authorities also say that with a changing of the political guard in Bridgetown, it's highly unlikely that Barbados will turn again to Nigeria in the near future for nurses to work on our shores.

Nigerian nurses back on the job

Date January 16, 2009
Brief 

THE NIGERIAN NURSES employed at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) are back to work.

The approximately

40 nurses returned to their duties Wednesday night after staying away on Tuesday and part

of Wednesday.

They took the action

to protest a news story aired on CBC-TV8 Monday night, which stated that three Nigerian nurses in the employ of the QEH had died of AIDS during their tenure there. They considered it misleading and damaging to their reputation.

One of the nurses,

Eyo Nkomo, told the WEEKEND NATION they decided to go back

to work after meeting

with management of the hospital Wednesday morning.

"We are still truamatised by that TV story. We stayed off work because we could not function in that state

of mind. We have decided to return to work not because it is over or because we're happy, but we have a contract to fulfill," she said.

Nkomo also spoke

of the three nurses said

to have died of HIV/AIDS.

"The nurse who the CBC story said was taken home and has died, is alive. She is back home and has gone back to work. When we went to the union (National Union of Public Workers) on Tuesday, I personally called the nurse in Nigeria and she spoke with

Ms Roslyn Smith, the assistant general secretary."

Nkomo also said

that one of the other

two nurses had breast cancer, adding that the autopsy for the third nurse was not made available

to them.

When contacted, the NUPW's Smith confirmed she spoke to the nurse who was supposedly

dead in Nigeria.

"I spoke to that nurse

in Nigeria this morning,

so what's this report that she is dead?" Smith told the WEEKEND NATION yesterday, adding the union would do its own investigation and make

a public statement

at a later date.

Nkomo said the nurses came in three batches and their contracts would expire soon.

"I am ready to leave immediately once our contract expires. But

I will want to use this opportunity to ask the authorities to get all our benefits and entitlements ready so I do not stay one day longer than necessary". (PE)
Re: Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados by Sammy107d(m): 8:17am On Feb 03, 2009
Official investigation

Date January 28, 2009
Brief

by BARRY ALLEYNE

A NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT minister who flew to Barbados

to investigate a CBC-TV report that three Nigerian nurses had died here of HIV/AIDS has found the story to be groundless.

Minister of Culture and the Economy, Ayadele Aina, told MIDWEEK NATION yesterday: "My investigations and the irrefutable evidences gathered not only rendered the report false, and misleading . . . "

That finding is included in a report to the High Commissioner in Trinidad Musa John Jen.

Consequences

The investigating minister also noted that

if the CBC's position was not confronted headlong

by the Nigeria High Commission, as well

as the Federal Republic

of Nigeria, it could have

"far reaching and negative consequences on the professional integrity

of not just the nurses, but all Nigerian professionals and academics working not only in Barbados, but in the wider Caribbean as well as around the world."

Aina said that during his visit, clear proof had been provided to the CBC, which showed one former nurse from Nigeria who worked at the QEH had died of breast cancer, another remains alive and well in Nigeria, and that an official cause of death for another had yet

to be officially given

to authorities.

The minister added that an official report will be sent back to government officials in the Federal Republic of Nigeria,

so a determination could be made regarding their next action.

60-second report

In its January 12 main nightly newscast

the Government owned Caribbean Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) carried a 60-second report which claimed three nurses from Nigeria had died of AIDS whilst in the employ of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

Ayadele Aina, who was in Barbados on January 21 and 22 told the MIDWEEK NATION in an exclusive interview from the High Commission's offices in Port of Spain that during his two-day trip to Barbados, he met with Nigerian nursers and doctors employed at the QEH, as well as hospital officials, and CBC's Director of News,

Richard Cox.

"The impression that story must have created

is better imagined than experienced, to say the least," he said.

After the news cast was aired Nigerian nurses

at the QEH removed themselves from their work stations for two days, and Cox stated the CBC would not be retracting the story, and would stand by the veracity of their reporter, Peter Thorne.

I know a number of those nurses. They are devastated and anxious to go home. (wrecked careers)
Re: Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados by tpia: 6:00am On Feb 04, 2009
Re: Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados by Sammy107d(m): 6:10am On Feb 04, 2009
I spoke to some of the nurses. They are determined to leave as soon as their contracts end in April; for dignity sake. The Nurses are right.
Re: Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados by tpia: 2:44pm On Feb 04, 2009
Re: Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados by Sammy107d(m): 5:18pm On Feb 04, 2009
you're right. Their approach is just pathetic considering the fact that a barbadian is more likely- or just as likely to have aids as a Nigerian.
Re: Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados by RSA(m): 11:31am On Feb 11, 2009
Nigerians are in denial and are defensinve.your problems will eat you up pippo.pride and blind patriotism won't build your country.shah!
Re: Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados by MrCrackles(m): 11:42am On Feb 11, 2009
RSA:

Nigerians are in denial and are defensinve.your problems will eat you up pippo.pride and blind patriotism won't build your country.shah!

Can you just shut the fuc.k up you blabbermouth as no one has asked for your moronic input here!

Afterall you are not Nigerian!!!
angry
Re: Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados by MrCrackles(m): 11:43am On Feb 11, 2009
Where did they contract HIV in the first place? sad

Barbados or before they left Nigeria
?
Re: Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados by MadMax1(f): 11:44am On Feb 11, 2009
And the Minister had to fly to Barbados himself to 'investigate' the story?  After a report had already been published,showing the story to be false? What the hell did he go there to investigate personally;whether they were  from his village, or had tribal marks?
Re: Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados by MadMax1(f): 11:51am On Feb 11, 2009
RSA:

But xenophobia and the AIDS epidemic will build up yours shah!
Just[i] look[/i] at all the Nigerians on this forum, a-wallowing in denial.
Re: Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados by RSA(m): 12:52pm On Feb 11, 2009
"Can you just shut the fuc.k up you blabbermouth as no one has asked for your moronic input here!"

Sorry mate,I know, the truth hurt especially if you're not used to it.

"But xenophobia and the AIDS epidemic will build up yours shah!
Just look at all the Nigerians on this forum, a-wallowing in denial."

'Ghana must go' was xenophobic in my books and the topic says your nurses(nigerians) are dying of AIDS in a foreign country,if your nurses are affected at that percentage,what about your population?the okada drivers and water sellers?
After reading this story my conclusion is Nigeria's AIDS problem is bigger than we thought s#$5t is about to hit the fan,you can't hide it no more.
Re: Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados by MadMax1(f): 1:30pm On Feb 11, 2009
RSA:

'Ghana must go' was xenophobic in my books and the topic says your nurses(nigerians) are dying of AIDS in a foreign country,if your nurses are affected at that percentage,what about your population?the okada drivers and water sellers?
After reading this story my conclusion is Nigeria's AIDS problem is bigger than we thought s#$5t is about to hit the fan,you can't hide it no more.
Ah well. You would know. Your country's the expert on both.
No, you didn't read the all the stories posted, but I'm loving that conclusion of yours. Clap for yourself.
Re: Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados by RSA(m): 2:50pm On Feb 11, 2009
Mad_Max:

Ah well. You would know. Your country's the expert on both.
No, you didn't read the all the stories posted, but I'm loving that conclusion of yours. Clap for yourself.

You mean the fact that one of your corrupt leader when to barbados to investigate,what do you think his finding will be?He is one of you,in denial.
Did the media apologised?No because they had facts.The only reason the Nigerians Nurses where protesting was that they wanted to keep this a secret,in their country AIDS is a taboo,it only happen in South Africa only.
Yes we are expect when it come to AIDS cause we have a high percentage of people living with AIDS/HIV,we are not ashamed,because if we are we won't find a way to fight it.

MrCrackles:

Afterall you are not Nigerian!!!
angry

Don't even wish to be one,I think being one its a punishment,even in my fouth life if I come back as one,just after birth I will hang myself oo grin
Re: Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados by MrCrackles(m): 2:56pm On Feb 11, 2009
RSA:

Don't even wish to be one,I think being one its a punishment,even in my fouth life if I come back as one,just after birth I will hang myself oo grin

Get your nose out of Nigerian issues then!

You come up here claiming u dont give a shit about Nigeria, yet you~

-You hover around any Nigerian News

-You watch Nigerian movies

-You constantly dream about Nigeria

-Your hero is a Nigerian

-You spend a fortune in skanky cybercafes logging on to Nigerian forums

-You make a sentence and mention Nigeria at least once in it

-You have a Nigerian football shirt

-You cant do without Nigerian food

Now idiot, tell me, is that an obsession or point blank madness?!
Re: Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados by RSA(m): 3:12pm On Feb 11, 2009
Ok,I find this very funny,it shows that some of you are actually funny,maybe you are one of the "good" one,Im sure you've heard that sentence so many times.The truth is you got 7 out of 8 wrong.but keep trying you'll probably scam someone oneday,goodluck.

The fact is 3 nurses died of AIDS,we talking nurses here,fu#%en nurses,people who should look after sick people.
If your nurses are infected what about your everage people?
The thing is in Nigeria you don't even know your national population statistic and with your non existing public hospital how will you know how fast AIDS is growing in that part of the world?
Nigeria is a fourth world country with few people with billion dollar in thier bank that's all.
Re: Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados by MrCrackles(m): 3:21pm On Feb 11, 2009
RSA:

Ok,I find this very funny,it shows that some of you are actually funny,maybe you are one of the "good" one,Im sure you've heard that sentence so many times.The truth is you got 7 out of 8 wrong.but keep trying you'll probably scam someone oneday,goodluck.

The fact is 3 nurses died of AIDS,we talking nurses here,fu#%en nurses,people who should look after sick people.
If your nurses are infected what about your everage people?
The thing is in Nigeria you don't even know your national population statistic and with your non existing public hospital how will you know how fast AIDS is growing in that part of the world?
Nigeria is a fourth world country with few people with billion dollar in thier bank that's all.

And why are your rapist, corrupt, HIV infected and imbecilic leaders in SA not doing anything about the Xenophobia and HIV epidemic in SA itself?

We all know your country breeds the HIV virus and AIDS patient walk around loosely in every nook and crannies of SA

SA is a disgrace to Africa

And you are a disgrace to the human race

Bomboclaat
!! tongue
Re: Nigerian Nurses' Ordeal In Barbados by Sammy107d(m): 7:47am On Feb 12, 2009
I posted this story because no Nigerian nurse died of AIDS, it was just propaganda (as the first few posts clarify)

It would be good news for RSA if they actually died of AIDS undecided

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: London Terror Attacker Is Yoruba - New York Times / Bill Clinton Joins APC (GIF) / Hillary Clinton Appears Before Rally Completely Naked (SEE PHOTOS)..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.