Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:47 PM

Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume (42888 Views)

2019 Presidency: Tinubu Divides Northern Leaders - The Sun / Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume / Tinubu Bows Down To Greet Buhari ( Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by lalasticlala(m): 10:18am On Apr 28, 2015
ABUJA- AHEAD of the inauguration of the 8th Senate where a new Senate President would emerge, strong indications emerged yesterday that the National leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC and former Lagos State governor, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu may have bowed to pressure from the Senators that he should allow them elect their own Senate President.
Following insistence on the Senators to have their own Senate President without being under intense pressure from ‘ outside’, former Governor Tinubu who has been a strong supporter of Senate Minority leader and former governor of Benue State may have soft- pedalled on him.

It was gathered yesterday that feelers at the Induction Course for Senators and members of House of Representatives elect holding at the Transcorp Hilton Hotel, Abuja may not have gone down well with the APC leader against the backdrop that he was also pushing for the House of Representatives Minority leader, Honourable Femi Gbajabiamila from the South West for the Speakership position.

While some Senators want the position of Senate president zoned to North Central and preferably, the Chairman, Senate Committee of Environment and Ecology and former governor of Kwara State, Senator Bukola Saraki, the former Lagos State governor was said not to be comfortable with Saraki with 2019 political colouration.

According to a source, Tinubu was said not to be supporting Saraki now because with such a position, he may be too powerful come 2019 with the support of Senators and some Governors, he may be eyeing the presidency.

At the moment senators prefer Senate President zoned to the North Central with Saraki, because they see in him the qualities they want in the leader which must be a reflection of the members of Senate without external influence.

With Tinubu now dumping Akume, he may shift his support to a candidate from the North East and a source told Vanguard that the Chairman, Senate Committee on Public Accounts, Senator Ahmed Lawan from Yobe may fit in.

Some influential backers behind Akume led by Tinubu have withdrawn their support mainly because they see he is not a reflection of the choice of Senators and any attempt to railroad him will be rejected.

With different aspirants for the position and divergent support from leaders, indications have emerged that if no compromise was arrived at, the race wouldlikely to be thrown open to the contestants from the north east and north central.

A Senator attending the induction programme for national assembly members at the Hilton Hotel, said, “the issue of senate president is the personal issue of the senators so all leaders who are insisting on producing the senate president should know that it is our affair and not the thinking of APC leaders.
“We are going to ensure that our leader emerges among us and not through any form of imposition from any quarters.

“If care not taken, those insisting on taking all will lose all because the north east has almost succeeded in getting majority members to support its desire to produce the speaker of the House of Representatives and if feelers from the party leadership is anything to go by, Tinubu has told his foot soldiers to ceasefire on the Akume project.”

There is also push for Honourable Yakubu Dogara from Bauchi, North East for Speakership just as from South South, Honourable Pally Iriase from Edo State is also a very strong contender for the position and Honourable Abdulmumin Jibrin from Kano, North West Zone is also eyeing the position. The feeling is that the South West has the Vice President and should not pick the Speaker as well.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/senate-presidency-tinubu-bows-to-pressure-dumps-akume/

1 Share

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by jascon1(m): 10:19am On Apr 28, 2015
If Buhari ever wants to achieve a sanitized government, he must learn to slate down the rules to all. Tinubu has been bragging all around town to be the brain behind his success, that's false! He only played a part in the success. Buhari was an already established force before this whole APC thing. As it stands right now he sud know his place in APC n not act like a Godfather to a grandfather. No one sud ever let him dictate the doings of the APC, cos that's where the problem will emanate.

59 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by Nobody: 10:19am On Apr 28, 2015
Anything good for the progress of this nation is very welcomed!!!!if tinubu has to bow down to pressure for this country to move forward then so be it!!!!

And some dumb people are saying tinubu will be controlling the senate house and buhari,it seems some people on nairaland do reason with their anus........

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by Trailblazer1(m): 10:20am On Apr 28, 2015
After fighting off cabals, looters and thieves, its a pity and so unfortunate that our destiny as a nation is now in the hand of one man - a power drunk and unrepentant drug lord Bola Tinubu

Good morning Nigeria!

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by PassingShot(m): 10:20am On Apr 28, 2015
Good news from APC camp yet again.

We cannot afford to have Tinubu have his say/way at the HOR and let him also decide the president of the Senate.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by SeverusSnape(m): 10:21am On Apr 28, 2015
Good!...Tinubu's influence shouldn't extend to the Senate.

9 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by DuchessLily(f): 10:21am On Apr 28, 2015
Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by Trailblazer1(m): 10:21am On Apr 28, 2015
wakacome:
Make I quote u down before you post poo again
wakacome:
And some dumb people are saying tinubu will be controlling the senate house and buhari,it seems some people on nairaland do reason with their anus........
Oh just shut up! How does this news differ from the fact that the drug lord wants to control both houses of the national assembly? Aren't his greedy intentions so glaring?
Now that his evil gimmicks has failed you're using its failure to circumvent your dumb claims

You must be nairaland's dumbest Tinubu's asslicker

27 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by modath(f): 10:23am On Apr 28, 2015
I'm cool with anyone as long as its not Bonaventure Mark..

As much as I respect Tinubu's astuteness and political sagacity when it comes to putting square pegs into square holes, I don't want him to have enough leeway to dictate the direction of governance.

8 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by Rotiix(m): 10:23am On Apr 28, 2015
It will soon dawn on Tinubu that Nigeria is too big a country to be greedily controlled by just him, this ain't Lagos for crying out loud!

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by Nobody: 10:23am On Apr 28, 2015
Trailblazer1:

Oh just shut up! How does this news differ from the fact that the drug lord wants to control both houses of the national assembly? Aren't his greedy intentions so glaring?
Now that his evil gimmicks has failed you're using its failure to circumvent your dumb claims

You must be nairaland's dumbest Tinubu's asslicker
Please stop crying!!!You this foolish GAY should stop stalking me and quoting me!!!!!!!!!oniranu....

13 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by Redoil: 10:23am On Apr 28, 2015
Mumu people
GEJ my hero
at a time when the numerous problem was much you came
solving all the problem of nigerian you live
nigeria far better than you met it
names they cannot call their father they called you
dunce some called you
reterdeen others called you
clueless most called you
vile names few called you

some threw stones at you
others threw water at you
by ur action and smiles shows you are the servant of the masses.
Under ur watch our votes are counted.
The dogs did bark
the children screamed
Up flew the windows the enemies attacked from all angles
every wicked soul bawled out against you
to dawf ur giant strides boko haram was invented
Here you are today an achiever
may you walk and never stumble
your names are already written on the golden foot print of sand
may you be called happy and hope
in ur ability and spirit of sportsmanship we trust
our votes are safe with you
ur team We are happy to be part of
we trust in your ability
Nigerians choose otherwise ..
All we have to say is well done sir!
We wish you well now and in the future.

The real hero of Nigerian democracy i salute you

even in victory i salute ur courage to know when to quite
for been a shining example to other politicians
i salute ur courage
go and take your well deserved seat Sir
at home and beyond nigeria
may your homel always be a rallying point for any true democrat
great gej
at last from Nigeria's troubles you are free
ur deserve peace for job well done.

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by omenka(m): 10:24am On Apr 28, 2015
Ahap. I knew it wouldn't fly. I have a very good hunch as to why it didn't.

Thank God.

Better to let sleeping dogs lie. lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by Princess042(f): 10:25am On Apr 28, 2015
Anything good for the progress of this nation is welcomed

2 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by iphanyiuma(m): 10:26am On Apr 28, 2015
Tinubu is a very wise man and a good planner but he should realize that although he contributed massively to the success of the apc he does not have the will to make and choose leaders amongst them. He has done enough so baba should jut sit back, relax and enjoy the fruit of his handwork

2 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by Nobody: 10:32am On Apr 28, 2015
The National assembly should be allowed to choose its leaders by itself, i also believe merit should be considered above any type of Zoning arrangement, in this regard i honestly believe Femi Gbajabiamila is the best candidate to lead the house of Reps.. Very eloquent, Vocal, Fearless, also good follower..et el

6 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by chymystique(f): 10:34am On Apr 28, 2015
According to a source, Tinubu was said not to be supporting Saraki now because with such a position, he may be too powerful come 2019 with the support of Senators and some Governors, he may be eyeing the presidency.

Hmmm! NaiJa PolitiCians and their SelFish Interests/Greed! IDFC in this matter undecided
Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by Trailblazer1(m): 10:41am On Apr 28, 2015
wakacome:
You this foolish GAY should stop stalking me and quoting me!!!!!!!!!oniranu....
Tinubu's dumbest asslicker
No body licks it better than you do undecided

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by fkaz(m): 10:41am On Apr 28, 2015
Smart move from Tinubu, Senator Ahmad Ibrahim Lawan Yobe North senatoral district for senate president while Hon Femi Gbajabiamila for speaker house of rep.

4 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by tinuolababy(f): 10:42am On Apr 28, 2015
Bukola saraki wink

2 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by Clerverly: 10:48am On Apr 28, 2015
Vanguard and their conjectures! I don't take the paper seriously!

2 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by dre11(m): 10:50am On Apr 28, 2015
People, newspapers and their conspiracy theory......

Until the commencement of the 6th republic... Any news about who is being supported for senate and house leadership will just be taken by a pinch of salt by me

1 Like

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by mandarin: 10:59am On Apr 28, 2015
Tinubu as much as I know is a strong stakeholder in APC and he's already strategizing toward the next election. He had committed alot to GMB and APC victory and you don't expect him to allow himself schemed out, politics don't work that way, I wouldn't allow that either.
however, good people should be allowed to lead as results is all that matter.
I think Tinubu will have his way on the house of reps and if he settles with Fashola, will probably position him against 2019, remember he has always been around politics in a long time.

4 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by Trailblazer1(m): 10:59am On Apr 28, 2015
Clerverly:
Vanguard and their conjectures! I don't take the paper seriously!
You only take Lie mohammed and Sahara reporters seriously?
The devil must be jealous of you undecided undecided

5 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by miqos02(m): 11:03am On Apr 28, 2015
ok
Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:04am On Apr 28, 2015
Who is AKUBE?

Why did tinubu dropped him?

because he be second hand?
cheesy
Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by deskossy(m): 11:08am On Apr 28, 2015
Whatever decision they mk will go a long way in shaping 2019.... tambuwal 2011 is upon us again
Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by baybeeboi: 11:14am On Apr 28, 2015
Tinubu.
Let me see how He will go fûck with the Northerners,He thinks they'll care how much He contributed to Buhari's success.
Maybe He thinks Nigeria is in Lagos.

6 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by tomakint: 12:14pm On Apr 28, 2015
.....and the game of wits begin undecided PDP is bad, that is what they told us but we can now see that APC is worst.....nothing pushes them but greed!

2 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by Nobody: 12:17pm On Apr 28, 2015
SeverusSnape:
Good!...Tinubu's influence shouldn't extend to the Senate.

Tinubu actually has no influence outside the APC controlled states of the SW.He cannot even install a mere councilor in ekiti state

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by Nobody: 12:18pm On Apr 28, 2015
mandarin:
Tinubu as much as I know is a strong stakeholder in APC and he's already strategizing toward the next election. He had committed alot to GMB and APC victory and you don't expect him to allow himself schemed out, politics don't work that way, I wouldn't allow that either.
however, good people should be allowed to lead as results is all that matter.
I think Tinubu will have his way on the house of reps and if he settles with Fashola, will probably position him against 2019, remember he has always been around politics in a long time.

if APC presents Fashola in 2019 ,he will not win any state outside the sw

5 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency: Tinubu Bows To Pressure, Dumps Akume by Nobody: 12:19pm On Apr 28, 2015
jascon1:
If Buhari ever wants to achieve a sanitized government, he must learn to slate down the rules to all. Tinubu has been bragging all around town to be the brain behind his success, that's false! He only played a part in the success. Buhari was an already established force before this whole APC thing. As it stands right now he sud know his place in APC n not act like a Godfather to a grandfather. No one sud ever let him dictate the doings of the APC, cos that's where the problem will emanate.
Kwankwaso contributed more votes to GMB in Kano alone than Tinubu did in the entire SW.I think his influence is actually overblown.He does not really posses much influence outside Lagos

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Defeat Me With Superiority Of Your Argument Not With AK47" - Nnamdi Kanu To PMB / Soldier Killed In Abia Gas Explosion (Graphic Photos) / Aremu Afolayan Tackles Osinbajo After Changing 6,500 Dihram To ₦1 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.