Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,929 members, 7,828,234 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) - Pets (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) (52786 Views)

Buffalo Saves Friend From Lion Attack A Must Watch (video) / 7 Dogs Attack Driver In Lagos (pics) / Best Commercial Cleaning Services In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by Missonas(f): 12:44pm On Apr 28, 2015
WHO LET THE DOGS OUT?!? shocked grin

That security guy def, what if there where kids out.Remember the kid that almost lost his life from dog bites.Next time put those dogs on a tight leash when they are in you can let them about
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by Nobody: 12:48pm On Apr 28, 2015
shocked D man survive bites from 7 dogs?? abi na puppies? undecided
Abeg recover quick and go bite ya own back! grin
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by 9jatatafo(m): 12:52pm On Apr 28, 2015
The HUNTER becomes the BUSHMEAT
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by Nobody: 12:56pm On Apr 28, 2015
Baaaad me bro

lonelyisland:
guy knw be 440 nah 404

U be member abi?
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by Odunharry(m): 12:56pm On Apr 28, 2015
nobody has contributed anything meaningful except the guy who said he is a vet??

seun et al, what should be done in such situation?
stand and watch the dogs or look for a hiding place till they are gone??

maclatunji and caracta good question

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by herrdeustch: 12:57pm On Apr 28, 2015
Its very sad that many nairalanders in this thread are busy making very insensitive comments and blaming the poor man instead of pushing for government legislation against improper animal handling.Many animal owners in Nigeria let their animal wreck havoc on lives and property without any punishment or control.Please lets struggle for government legislation to regulate issues like this

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by Orlarmie(m): 12:57pm On Apr 28, 2015
Omo i feel for the guy man...Dogs can be crazy...My Rott alone pursue petty thief comot my compound around 4am for mormor until vigilante later catch the tif
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by dust144(m): 12:59pm On Apr 28, 2015
Who knows if he eat dog in his former life, get well sooner.

Buy your dogs
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by fretnot(m): 1:03pm On Apr 28, 2015
Caracta:

What do we do instead?

No, I'm not a commercial driver.

The best way to prevent such attacks, obviously, is for the owner to train their dog not to do it in the first place, and to always make sure their dog is in a secure yard, inside the house, or on a leash. Unfortunately, some people are not responsible enough to do this, so it falls upon us to know how to protect ourselves in such situations.

Why do dogs attack?

In the case of joggers, runners, bikers, etc., it’s because the motion of the person triggers their prey drive. However, not every dog will naturally decide to chase down and bite someone who’s moving too quickly. Those dogs that do have learned to do it — again, because of human negligence.

It starts with a dog that barks to defend its territory as a jogger runs by. Why does the dog bark? To make that person go away. And what happens when the jogger keeps running? They go away, and the dog has “won.” After this happens repeatedly, the dog learns that barking will make the invader leave, so its excitement level goes up in anticipation. This continued reinforcement really is the definition of a “vicious cycle.”

Eventually, this increased excitement can lead to the dog becoming bolder and more aggressive to the point of actually rushing toward or chasing the jogger. With enough excitement and unbalanced energy, this may lead to a bite or an attack, and the dog isn’t really consciously doing it.

How to avoid being bitten

If you are confronted by an aggressive dog, the most important thing to remember is this: Stay calm. Don’t give in to fear or anxiety, and don’t start yelling or kicking at the dog. An aggressive dog wants you to be stressed out before it attacks, but if you remain calm and in control, it slows them down and throws them off.

Also avoid direct eye contact with an aggressive dog. Stand slightly sideways (which also makes you a narrower target) while keeping the dog in your peripheral vision.

Once you have successfully used calm assertive energy to keep that dog back, claim your own space. If you happen to be carrying anything in your hands, like a cane or an umbrella, place it out in front of yourself to appear bigger and be more in command of your space.

What this tells the dog with your body language is, “I don’t want your space, I just want this space that I am in.” Maintain your very calm and assertive state; this energy creates a barrier that automatically demands the dog’s respect by letting it know that you are not afraid.

When the dog senses that you aren’t threatening it — and are not threatened by it — it will probably lose interest and the situation will de-escalate. Unfortunately, though, this process is not always possible.

What to do if you are attacked

Especially for joggers and runners, there is a danger of being completely blindsided, so that a dog attack is happening before you can even have a chance to try to avoid it. If you have enough time, the first line of defense is to let the dog attack something on you that isn’t you — for example, if you’re wearing a sweater, get your arm out of a sleeve and get that sleeve in the dog’s face. If the dog takes the bait, let it pull the sweater off, then slowly back out of the area. To the dog, it has just gotten hold of a piece of you, and this may distract it long enough for you to get to safety.

It’s probably good practice to always have something on you that you can use in this manner, whether it’s a sweatshirt tied loosely around your waist, a stick, or even a stuffed dog toy. If you can pull it off quickly enough, you can also use one of your shoes for this maneuver.

In all cases, remember to protect your face, chest, and throat. Also keep your hands in fists to protect your fingers. If you must be bitten, the safest place for it to happen is the shin or forearm; a dog bite to the thigh can cause fatal bleeding.

If you are bitten, resist the natural urge to try to pull away. This will just make the injury worse through tearing your flesh. Oddly enough, if the attack escalates to this point, then you actually want the dog to latch on. Why? The dog only has one mouth, but you have two hands. If you can manage it at this point, grab its back legs and lift them off the ground.

You can find more information on what to do to defend and protect yourself in this WikiHow article. http://www.wikihow.com/Handle-a-Dog-Attack

Remember: Dogs are not naturally inclined to attack humans unless they feel a threat to themselves, their pack, or their territory. We cannot always avoid the problem because some dog owners are irresponsible or negligent. However, we can arm ourselves with the knowledge that will prevent a situation from escalating, and minimize the damage if it does move on to an attack.

Read more: http://www.cesarsway.com/dogbehavior/biting/When-Dogs-Attack#ixzz3YbIN1Tnh

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by kwencypresh(f): 1:05pm On Apr 28, 2015
adeekiti:
U don't pick a stone to chase such dogs , u already made a threat which prompt the attack, dogs like that gets angry at any silly step u make, e be like sey dat guy dey chop dog sef grin
d man get mind ooo.....he wan pick stone tey chase seven hefty dogs
If na me see d dogs na to faints ooo bcus i nor sure wether my legs go fit carry me
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by justynneke(f): 1:05pm On Apr 28, 2015
Next tym. D man hear D̶̲̥̅̊Φ.... , he go don run frm lagos to heaven before he go here d end say Ω̴̩̩̩̥α donkey d person wan call.
Even dog peppersoup nw go don turn taboo for A̶̲̥̅♏

Ndo o!
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by isan(m): 1:06pm On Apr 28, 2015
No doubt dat man dey chop dog grin 7 dogs shocked
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by riddy0ne: 1:08pm On Apr 28, 2015
One dog dey bark self nah to run talkless. Of. 7dogss and dem no be aja baba taju wey ordinary kai. Kuro nibe go make am run...ogaa next tyme try run back. Inside..*nd lock ur entrance door
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by justynneke(f): 1:11pm On Apr 28, 2015
herrdeustch:
Its very sad that many nairalanders in this thread are busy making very insensitive comments and blaming the poor man instead of pushing for government legislation against improper animal handling.Many animal owners in Nigeria let their animal wreck havoc on lives and property without any punishment or control.Please lets struggle for government legislation to regulate issues like this
Wen r ƔU̶̲̥̅̊ starting?
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by Edunwa302(m): 1:12pm On Apr 28, 2015
oyetunder:
Merciful God...deliver us from evil. Dog owners in Nigeria shall one day push the People to demand serious legislation against dogs ownership. The 7 dogs overpowered the lonely man taking them for a stroll or whatever. An example of Nigerians employers attitudes of over-using house-helps/servants. Foolishness of mankind: many white men/women love dogs but hate Africans... Also, many who looted Nigeria' wealth are busy over-feeding their imported dogs in the name of class. It is an empty canine paradise...
Ride on, its terrible how one man can own such number of dogs en leave dem on d street for a stroll
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by Odunharry(m): 1:14pm On Apr 28, 2015
fretnot:

The best way to prevent such attacks, obviously, is for the owner to train their dog not to do it in the first place, and to always make sure their dog is in a secure yard, inside the house, or on a leash. Unfortunately, some people are not responsible enough to do this, so it falls upon us to know how to protect ourselves in such situations.

Why do dogs attack?

In the case of joggers, runners, bikers, etc., it’s because the motion of the person triggers their prey drive. However, not every dog will naturally decide to chase down and bite someone who’s moving too quickly. Those dogs that do have learned to do it — again, because of human negligence.

It starts with a dog that barks to defend its territory as a jogger runs by. Why does the dog bark? To make that person go away. And what happens when the jogger keeps running? They go away, and the dog has “won.” After this happens repeatedly, the dog learns that barking will make the invader leave, so its excitement level goes up in anticipation. This continued reinforcement really is the definition of a “vicious cycle.”

Eventually, this increased excitement can lead to the dog becoming bolder and more aggressive to the point of actually rushing toward or chasing the jogger. With enough excitement and unbalanced energy, this may lead to a bite or an attack, and the dog isn’t really consciously doing it.

How to avoid being bitten

If you are confronted by an aggressive dog, the most important thing to remember is this: Stay calm. Don’t give in to fear or anxiety, and don’t start yelling or kicking at the dog. An aggressive dog wants you to be stressed out before it attacks, but if you remain calm and in control, it slows them down and throws them off.

Also avoid direct eye contact with an aggressive dog. Stand slightly sideways (which also makes you a narrower target) while keeping the dog in your peripheral vision.

Once you have successfully used calm assertive energy to keep that dog back, claim your own space. If you happen to be carrying anything in your hands, like a cane or an umbrella, place it out in front of yourself to appear bigger and be more in command of your space.

What this tells the dog with your body language is, “I don’t want your space, I just want this space that I am in.” Maintain your very calm and assertive state; this energy creates a barrier that automatically demands the dog’s respect by letting it know that you are not afraid.

When the dog senses that you aren’t threatening it — and are not threatened by it — it will probably lose interest and the situation will de-escalate. Unfortunately, though, this process is not always possible.

What to do if you are attacked

Especially for joggers and runners, there is a danger of being completely blindsided, so that a dog attack is happening before you can even have a chance to try to avoid it. If you have enough time, the first line of defense is to let the dog attack something on you that isn’t you — for example, if you’re wearing a sweater, get your arm out of a sleeve and get that sleeve in the dog’s face. If the dog takes the bait, let it pull the sweater off, then slowly back out of the area. To the dog, it has just gotten hold of a piece of you, and this may distract it long enough for you to get to safety.

It’s probably good practice to always have something on you that you can use in this manner, whether it’s a sweatshirt tied loosely around your waist, a stick, or even a stuffed dog toy. If you can pull it off quickly enough, you can also use one of your shoes for this maneuver.

In all cases, remember to protect your face, chest, and throat. Also keep your hands in fists to protect your fingers. If you must be bitten, the safest place for it to happen is the shin or forearm; a dog bite to the thigh can cause fatal bleeding.

If you are bitten, resist the natural urge to try to pull away. This will just make the injury worse through tearing your flesh. Oddly enough, if the attack escalates to this point, then you actually want the dog to latch on. Why? The dog only has one mouth, but you have two hands. If you can manage it at this point, grab its back legs and lift them off the ground.

You can find more information on what to do to defend and protect yourself in this WikiHow article. http://www.wikihow.com/Handle-a-Dog-Attack

Remember: Dogs are not naturally inclined to attack humans unless they feel a threat to themselves, their pack, or their territory. We cannot always avoid the problem because some dog owners are irresponsible or negligent. However, we can arm ourselves with the knowledge that will prevent a situation from escalating, and minimize the damage if it does move on to an attack.

Read more: http://www.cesarsway.com/dogbehavior/biting/When-Dogs-Attack#ixzz3YbIN1Tnh
nice
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by jayjayjay0214: 1:19pm On Apr 28, 2015
grin dogs know who dey chop dogs and they will attack the person lol
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by cecegorz(m): 1:23pm On Apr 28, 2015
illiad1:

Soon dog owners would be paying heavily in cash or jail terms for attacks by their dogs on citizens.

Only if the dog has not been taking anti-rabies shots.
The only thing the owner owes you is medical treatment.
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by overdrive(m): 1:26pm On Apr 28, 2015
Odunharry:
nobody has contributed anything meaningful except the guy who said he is a vet??

seun et al, what should be done in such situation?
stand and watch the dogs or look for a hiding place till they are gone??

maclatunji and caracta good question

usian bolt for ur life.
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by Nobody: 1:26pm On Apr 28, 2015
the OPmentioned that the man is from AK cheesy, but why?!!! LOL!!
I suspect the man eats dog meat that's why those dogs sensed him and attacked.
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by tellwisdom: 1:29pm On Apr 28, 2015
KlaireKlement:
Hmmm...Hope say those folks 4 village never find ur file.

Let me see ur yansh, is it big?? sad
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by adaxxy: 1:38pm On Apr 28, 2015
Seun pictures of the dogs or I don't believe you undecided undecided.
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by Nobody: 1:57pm On Apr 28, 2015
kwencypresh:
d man get mind ooo.....he wan pick stone tey chase seven hefty dogs
If na me see d dogs na to faints ooo bcus i nor sure wether my legs go fit carry me
if u faint u don give them chance to bite u, u rather stay and don't panic and don't look the dogs in the face, they will smell your legs and try to know If u are scared by smelling ur legs
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by Nobody: 1:58pm On Apr 28, 2015
Boyooosa:

On a 'Tutorial Note'. what was he supposed to do?
come for class grin check my quote with kwensypresh
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by koladebrainiac(m): 1:59pm On Apr 28, 2015
Omooba77:
A 45-year-old commercial driver, Saturday Akpomose, narrowly escaped death last Saturday, Akpomose, who hails from[b] Akwa Ibom[/b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] State, had gone to the area with his wife to visit his in-law, Mr. Christian Peter, when the dogs pounced on him.

Vanguard gathered that the dogs, owned by a Navy Captain, were being taken out to ease themselves at a nearby uncompleted building, when they saw Akpomose and pounced on him.
The matter was reported at Ogombo Police Division, which referred Akpomose to the General Hospital at Akodo, for immediate treatment due to the severity of his injuries.

His story
When Vanguard visited the victim in the hospital, he said: “My wife and I went to visit my in-law on Sunday. He lives at Okun Ajah Road, in Eti-Osa East Local Council Development Area. Later, on Tuesday morning, I just strolled out of the compound and came across the dogs.

“As I stepped out, I saw a security man coming out with several dogs. They were very huge Alsatian dogs. I was terrified when I saw them and as I tried to go back in, they overpowered the man holding them.

“As I bent down to pick a stone and scare them away, they pounced on me and that was all I knew. They bit me in almost all parts of my body. As I screamed, some residents came out and tried to scare away the dogs with sticks.
“My screams even woke up my in-law who was asleep in the house. At a time, I became weak and unconscious and it was the people who rushed me to the hospital.”

Dogs’ owner intervenes
When Vanguard visited the residence of the dogs’ owner, the Chief Security Officer attached to the building, who identified himself simply as Victor, said: “Immediately I got back home, I explained his condition to my boss who directed me to see his family and take a decision on how to transfer the victim to his own private hospital for proper medical attention.
“We have bought all the drugs they asked us to buy. We are showing the receipt to you just to let you know that we care about the victim.”

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/7-dogs-attack-driver-in-lagos/#sthash.6fJOvrCw.dpuf
hahahah from Akwa ibom? the guy wan eat the dog or the Dogs felt threatening cos he is from Calabar!
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by Nobody: 2:00pm On Apr 28, 2015
Edusouls:
Shut up idiot na the sorry wey u go tell am, u re a very inhumane and insensitive person, dont worry u will meet that situation,let me see what u will do, u own may even end in death,u think is a joke..
na ur portion be that na, silly guy can't u understand my post , something dey worry u, u know how many dogs I don train, ur faaro
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by Nobody: 2:01pm On Apr 28, 2015
WHY WOULD ONE PERSON HAVE 7 DOGS? NA HIN HOUSE PRINTING & MINTING DE?
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by Nobody: 2:02pm On Apr 28, 2015
Ochillary:
HA-HA... How You take know say him Dey chop dog?
bros no mind me jare , some useless nigg.aa dey hear dey talk rubbish
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by Nobody: 2:04pm On Apr 28, 2015
he come from Akwa IbOM...
well those dogs sabi smell dog eater
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by babestella: 2:04pm On Apr 28, 2015
The man must have been enjoying different delicacies of all kinds of dog meat, once they saw him they knew that he was a dog eater.
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by Nobody: 2:07pm On Apr 28, 2015
tjark1:
WHY WOULD ONE PERSON HAVE 7 DOGS? NA HIN HOUSE PRINTING & MINTING DE?
na to chase theif comot cheesy
Re: 7 Dogs Attack A Commercial Driver In Lagos (Photo) by Nobody: 2:12pm On Apr 28, 2015
uviesa:
who let d dogs out!!!
wuuf! wuuf!! wuuf!!! wuuf!!!! grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Tamaskan: A Dog Bred To Look Exactly Like A Wolf (Photos) / Monkey Adopts Chicken As They Become Inseparable In Israel (Photos) / California Wildfire: Abandoned Hospital For Stranded Animals (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.