Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,965 members, 7,848,909 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 11:52 AM

AIT Ban - Like Obama Like Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / AIT Ban - Like Obama Like Buhari (541 Views)

Alleged AIT Ban: The True Story From An AIT Staff, Lara Wise / PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy / Like Obasanjo Like Buhari? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

AIT Ban - Like Obama Like Buhari by Birikiti: 7:57pm On Apr 28, 2015
White House is standing by its refusal to grant The Boston Herald access to the press pool for President Obama‘s Wednesday fundraiser in Beantown. White House spokesman Matt Lehrich told The Herald that pool assignments had already been determined by the White House Correspondents Association, but also said, “I tend to consider the degree to which papers have demonstrated to covering the White House regularly and fairly in determining local pool reporters.”

Lehrich cited the paper’s full front-page publication of a Mitt Romney op-ed, while ignoring a visit by President Obama on that same front page, as an example of the paper’s lack of fairness.

Asked by Mediaite if there’s an editorial litmus test for access to Presidential events, the White House stood by Lehrich’s statement, but did not specifically address the question of a litmus test.

Here’s the body of the email that I sent to Press Secretary Jay Carney, and to Lehrich:

Do either of you have anything to add to the issue of the Boston Herald being excluded from the pool on the Boston trip? Do you object to the publication of the email? Matt’s email gave the impression that there’s an editorial litmus test for access to Presidential events. Is there such a test?

This is the response I received, from Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest:

Our policy is clearly articulated in the on the record comment that the Herald received on tuesday: in this particular instance, the Boston Globe had arranged with the White House Correspondents Association, independent of the White House press office, to be part of the traveling press pool. As such, there was no need for an additional local pooler in Boston. As we have in the past – including the multiple occasions on which the Herald has supplied local pool reporters – we will continue to consider the Herald for local pool duty during future visits.

Also, you should note that Herald reporters were granted access by the White House: to witness the arrival of Air Force One in Boston, to attend the President’s remarks at his first event and to review the written accounts of the small group of traveling reporters who covered the president’s second event on behalf of the entire White House press corps.

This is a bit confusing, because Lehrich’s original response made clear that the Romney op-ed had nothing to do with the decision to go with The Boston Globe for the press pool, a decision that wasn’t even made by the White House. As Earnest points out (and I concur, from experience), it is not customary to increase the size of the pool contingent to accommodate a special request. Perceived fairness had nothing to do with this.

Why bring it up, then? This press office has never been shy about letting reporters know when they think we’ve been unfair, and this appears to be a somewhat heavy-handed example of that. Their failure to revisit it on follow-up indicates that Lehrich’s remark was not a statement of policy. The fact that they didn’t retract the remark, though, seems to be the equivalent of a “purpose pitch,” just close enough to make you think

http://www.mediaite.com/print/white-house-stands-by-spokesmans-email-to-the-boston-herald-on-access-to-press-pool/
Re: AIT Ban - Like Obama Like Buhari by omokab: 8:29pm On Apr 28, 2015
I don't know why you people will leave the truth and be follow lies.Why can't you first condem the act of AIT before condemning Buari.Are you telling us that what ait did is good or they did it as a professional.Ask yourself a quetion if you are in the shoe of buari whereby somebody is campain of hatred against you,will you be happy to deal with that person again life?For example if the same AIT is telling the whole world because of your ambition to contest for the position of president or governor that you have run mad before and show a fake picture of yours as a lunatic will you be happy at all to have anything with him again in life.I know is capital NO.To me AIT should be punished for what they did,includimg staff of NTA especially shola omole the Dg of NTA.This will serve as a lesson others.

(1) (Reply)

The Chibok Girls Has Not Been Rescued~a Government Source / Support Me To Fight Corruption, Buhari Tells National Assembly / See What This Newly Post Coro Wrote On Her Facebook Wall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.