Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,208 members, 7,818,706 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

University Of London Research Project- Request For Help - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / University Of London Research Project- Request For Help (725 Views)

Atiku Abubakar Flies In A Private Jet Ahead Of London Summit . Photo / Oba Of Lagos Akiolu In The Streets Of London Holding Bread (Photos) / Alaafin Of Oyo +2 Of His Many Wives At University Of London 4 A Convocation(Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

University Of London Research Project- Request For Help by Kim890: 7:51pm On Feb 03, 2009
Hi there,

My name is Kim, I live in the UK and am currently studying for a Masters at Royal Holloway University of London. I am writing a Dissertation on Nigeria, and the effect that the oil companies have on the country. I am very interested in finding out the views of Nigerian people on this sometimes contentious matter, and I hoped to be able to ask some of you for your considered opinion.

I have posed some questions below, I would really be so grateful if anyone could answer even one of them. It is so diffcult from the UK to get to talk to people actually living in Nigeria, and for my research I think it is extremely important that the views of Nigerian people are heard, rather than just guessed at from reading books.

I chose to research this project because I was amazed to find out about the stark contrast between the oil companies in the Niger Delta, and the local people living in the area whose lives have been affected by their operations. Recently there has been a global move in the area of 'Corporate Social Responsibility', which states that companies have certain responsibilities towards local communities and other stakeholders. I want to find out the extent to which oil companies are trying to help the people of Nigeria and the Niger Delta, and address the sharp divide between rich and poor in the country.

My questions are:

- How would you say the oil companies impact the Niger Delta communities, and the wider Nigerian community?

- Do they have a positive or negative effect on the communities overall?

-      Have you heard of any development projects introduced by oil companies, e.g. building schools, roads, clinics?

- In your experience have these projects been successful? What do you believe could be done better?

- Do you believe local people are consulted enough in terms of these projects?

- Should the oil companies or the government take greater responsibility for the problems in the Niger Delta?

- Are there indigenous forms of social responsibility you feel might be more effective in solving the Delta's problems?

My deepest thanks to anyone who has read this far. I realise there are a lot of questions so please feel free to answer as few or many as you like. I really feel that Nigeria is a fascinating country and I really hope to visit this year, to further my research and do the topic justice.

I hope no-one is offended by my asking for your opinions like this. No offence is meant. I just hope to better understand the situation by asking the people who know most about it. Anything you tell me about will remain annonymous in my work if you so wish, and you can withdraw your information at any time.

Best regards and wishes, and sincere thanks,

Kim
Re: University Of London Research Project- Request For Help by Hotstepper(f): 9:41pm On Feb 03, 2009
@Kim, what you are looking at is a very interesting topic and also a topic of my interest. I am a final year Undergraduate student of International Development Studies. My 4th year Seminar class is entirely on “NATURAL RESOURCE CONFLICT AND AFRICA”. This semester been the last semester is devoted to “SOCIAL COOPERATE RESPONSIBILITY”. It is a very interesting course and doing my project on “NIGER DELTA AND OIL”. My topic is “NIGERIA’S PETROLUM: A NATURAL RESOURCE OR A NATURAL DIASTER? Is the accumulated grievance as a result of the underdevelopment in Niger Delta, the cause of the agitation for resource control?
In the essay, I am actually looking at those questions u mentioned and I will be more dan happy to help you. We can discuss that on yahoo messenger. Get back to me
Re: University Of London Research Project- Request For Help by Kim890: 10:27pm On Feb 03, 2009
Hey!

Thats great news! Id love to discuss it with you, im sure we can help each other smiley though i dont have yahoo messenger, i can install it, do u have facebook?

Kim
Re: University Of London Research Project- Request For Help by Hotstepper(f): 10:29pm On Feb 03, 2009
yes, I have facebook, wats ur name on dere lemme add you, sure u can help me in editing cuz am done writing the paper
Re: University Of London Research Project- Request For Help by Kim890: 10:52pm On Feb 03, 2009
Speak soon!
Re: University Of London Research Project- Request For Help by Hotstepper(f): 11:04pm On Feb 03, 2009
i have added u, my name starts with an "A"
Re: University Of London Research Project- Request For Help by Epiphany(m): 2:40pm On Feb 04, 2009
Hey Hotstepper and Kim890, my dissertation was on a similar topic. If you are interested, i can send it to you guys. Let me have your emails and will do so when you are ready.

I came up with a questionnaire and got about 45 respondents. The dissertation did not only focus on the Oil industry though, but on other industries too.
Re: University Of London Research Project- Request For Help by youngies(m): 2:50pm On Feb 04, 2009
Kim, if you dig deep there is enough materials from different perspectives and stand point here on NL that can write 3 volumes of your dissertation. Just do a search on these words 'Niger Delta', 'MEND', 'Militants,' etc and start reading.

Good luck
Re: University Of London Research Project- Request For Help by Kim890: 5:21pm On Feb 04, 2009
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your messages. I will indeed look into the things you mention, Youngies. Epiphany, I would be glad to read your work, thank you so much for offering to send it to me smiley im not sure how to send you my email address without posting it for all the world to see, any suggestions?!

Im really interested in whether there is a distinct form of Nigerian Social responsibility. Is there anything Nigerian people do to help each other out, and help in the community? Do small businesses do anything for the community such as donate money, or are they just trying to survive? And larger Nigerian-formed companies, such as Zenith Bank or Guaranty Bank- do they help the community at all?

Thanks very much, hope to hear from you
Re: University Of London Research Project- Request For Help by Hotstepper(f): 6:44pm On Feb 04, 2009
most of these oil companies and others do have "community development" department but what i do not know is if they really do develop anywhere. This is wat I have to research anywayz

@Epiphany, thank u for your offer. I would be more than happy to read your paper and get an insight. my e-mail is nnenny@yorku.ca
Thank you
Re: University Of London Research Project- Request For Help by youngies(m): 9:20am On Feb 05, 2009
Aiight Kim,

You can look up my email addy from my profile, or you can send me offline msgs in my YIM; that will get us started. You will need so many perspectives
Re: University Of London Research Project- Request For Help by Kim890: 6:09pm On Feb 05, 2009
Hey all,

Just so you know, I have been lucky in receiving some emails from people who have studied the topic I am interested in; but I am also really just interested in people's own personal experiences and opinions, so please if you have anything you want to talk about, please just drop me a line. Id be really interested in hearing what anyone has to say, not only (kind) academic opionions. smiley

Thanks

Kim
Re: University Of London Research Project- Request For Help by finegirl20: 8:33pm On Jul 23, 2013
HI
My name is Ola currently doing my dissertation I have tried I truly need some help. Any advice or referral. Would prefer someone i can meet with face to face
Re: University Of London Research Project- Request For Help by icon8: 9:36pm On Jul 23, 2013
Kim890: Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your messages. I will indeed look into the things you mention, Youngies. Epiphany, I would be glad to read your work, thank you so much for offering to send it to me smiley im not sure how to send you my email address without posting it for all the world to see, any suggestions?!

Im really interested in whether there is a distinct form of Nigerian Social responsibility. Is there anything Nigerian people do to help each other out, and help in the community? Do small businesses do anything for the community such as donate money, or are they just trying to survive? And larger Nigerian-formed companies, such as Zenith Bank or Guaranty Bank- do they help the community at all?

Thanks very much, hope to hear from you

Guaranty Trust Bank has a CSR project that supports kids with Autism. There's another volunteer project for orphanages. They also sponsor a major football competition amongst high school students (known as the Principal's Cup), they recently donated classrooms, dormitories and other facilities to some schools and renovated other colleges like St. Gregory's, etc. They're presently constructing an ultra-modern facility in the University of Lagos as well as undertaking a complete renovation of the passport office of the Nigeria Immigration Service at Ikoyi. That's all I can recall for now, hope it helps a bit?

(1) (Reply)

Lucky Dube Mistaken For A Nigerian / Tears For My Country / Halliburton: Senators Want Nigerians Involved In Bribery Scandal Exposed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.