Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,140 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:46 AM

In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. (33470 Views)

Kemi Olunloyo Set To Wed In 2017 / Funke Akindele And JJC Wed In London / Picture Of Gbenga Adeboye & KSA Recording Together In Studio In Early 90s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by Yossykit: 3:17am On Apr 30, 2015
seun Adeboye, one of the sisters of fhe late comedian, Prince Gbenga Adeboye, a presenter and a singer, in one of her albums dedicated to her late brother titled 'omo majemu' (covenant child). she narrated all the story of his life, all he went through before he survived and became popular. she talked about his family, social, personal life and his death. she also revealed how wednesday was so special in the life of her late brother. according to her, he was born on wednesday 30th sept. 1959, he started his education on wednesday, he started presenting on radio on wednesday, his first trip to america was on wednesday, his first album was released on wednesday. acording to her, most of his achievements were made on wednesday, he died on wednesday 30th of APRIL 2003 and was laid to rest on wednesday 14th may 2003.

His biography:
Born on 30th September 1959, at Ode Omu, Gbongan, Osun State,
Nigeria, late Adeboye first worked as a freelance radio presenter for
Radio Lagos where he started a very popular programme which
catered for Yoruba listening audience titled Funwontan in 1981. This
programme was later re-baptised to Gbenga Adeboye in the Mix on
Radio Lagos and Gbenga Adeboye in the House on OGBC. While doing
these, he cut over nine albums and put them out on cassette,
including Ph. D Beetle, Orosunkunnu 1 & 2, Funwontan 1 & 2, Ijinle
Oro lati ori ite mimo 1 & 2, Versatility, Aiyetoro, Supremacy and
Controversy. Adeboye's popularity earned him several nicknames
including Alhaji, Pastor Oluwo and Funwontan, which stuck with him
until his death. Gbenga was an activist, orator, prophet as well as a
comedian, humorist, entertainer, the pioneer of stand-up comedy in
Nigeria who will never make you sad. He used his talents to install
democracy back in Nigeria through all his works, jokes, and radio
programmes. Olugbenga gave up the ghost on the 30th of April 2003
throwing the entire entertainment scene into deep mourning and he
was so widely respected and loved that crowds trooped out in candle-
lit processions all over south-western Nigeria. May your soul rest in
peace OLUGBENGA ADEBOYE, ONE MAN BATTALION, JENGBENTIELE,
APAGUNPOTE 1, ABEFE, OLAYINKA, OMO BABA OVERSER, AWO ITU
BABA ITA, AWO BABA LAISI ABESUPINLE, SUN RE O!

today marked the 12th year of his death, is there any of these contemporary presenters that has his kinds of talents?

mention any of his tracks as a sign of remembrance, some have already been mentioned.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by Nobody: 3:43am On Apr 30, 2015
Am sad this guy is not around when their is money in entertainment,this guy damn funny... Go find Lasisi abesupinle or itu baba ita for YouTube

10 Likes

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by simplymade(m): 4:13am On Apr 30, 2015
Funwotan ti lo....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by Nobody: 4:22am On Apr 30, 2015
Itu baba ita, continue to Rest in Perfect Peace. One of the funniest Nigerians ever liveth . . .

8 Likes

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by echobee(f): 4:45am On Apr 30, 2015
Funny man. I love baba itu grin. Rest in peace cry

1 Like

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by brixton: 4:59am On Apr 30, 2015
Reading this just reminded me of the activities during his burial, olowora was on stand still and the entire berger/olowora road blocked... Plenty rumors about his death and how he died twice back in the days...

Rest in peace sir!

2 Likes

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by dahdah: 6:18am On Apr 30, 2015
R.I.P FUNWONTAN, aside being a comedian, he was a good motivational speaker , Gbenga once said in one of his album; Protect your name by doing good, if your name is spoilt , it automatically spoil your life/future

5 Likes

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by sucreblazing(m): 6:36am On Apr 30, 2015
this man funny die I swear .....

mods front page please

2 Likes

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by Yustash001(m): 7:23am On Apr 30, 2015
Gbenga Adeboye....RIP..

1 Like

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by Yossykit: 7:40am On Apr 30, 2015
brixton:
Reading this just reminded me of the activities during his burial, olowora was on stand still and the entire berger/olowora road blocked... Plenty rumors about his death and how he died twice back in the days...

Rest in peace sir!
yes, he died twice, his first death was on oct,6 2002, he came bk to life after 6 hours. That was wen he released his last controvasial album 'aye toto'. He finally died on 30th april 2003.
My concern is that is there any presenter up til now that has his kinds of talents or can be given that kind of befiting burial wen he/she dies

5 Likes

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by micolaj: 7:43am On Apr 30, 2015
Gbenga Adeboye-a great entertainer. I personally miss you.RIP. Funwontan
Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by micolaj: 7:47am On Apr 30, 2015
Yossykit:
yes, he died twice, his first death was on oct,6 2002, he came bk to life after 6 hours. That was wen he released his last controvasial album 'aye toto'. He finally died on 30th april 2003.
My concern is that is there any presenter up til now that has his kinds of talents or can be given that kind of befiting burial wen he/she dies
Eye ti o se bi adan o si, GBENGA has no replicate, just like MJ of our CENTURY.

5 Likes

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by Yossykit: 7:56am On Apr 30, 2015
Though only God almigty alone remains incomparable. But up til now i dont think any presenter can be compared to this man, even his burial was unique. I dont know what the future holds but no FIBAN member has equalled him up to this moment. Rest on Prince.....benga
esa ogbin ara ogbojo, onike amuseye, esa ogbin ja loja, ike laro ni'le, omo gbandu gbandu oni'ke.

3 Likes

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by Nobody: 8:30am On Apr 30, 2015
Itu baba ita,LAisi abesupinle and many more
Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by Nobody: 8:32am On Apr 30, 2015
Mc wonder

1 Like

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by Ariyke: 8:44am On Apr 30, 2015
Continue to rest in Peace itu baba ita
Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by enoqueen: 8:58am On Apr 30, 2015
One in trillion. Alabefe cry
Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by Pinnacle(m): 9:01am On Apr 30, 2015
Olugbenga, Funwontan, esa ogbin ara ogbojo, omo ase buruku se rere, omo osekatan tese morin.
Jengbetiele
Multitalented
International Outstanding African Comedian and Classical Musician.
Just like yesterday, You are surely missed bro.

RIP

1 Like

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by AgreatMan: 9:41am On Apr 30, 2015
I wonder where he gets his plots from. the heavens must be proud of this guy, they gave him a talent n explored every bit of it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by chacoonder(m): 9:41am On Apr 30, 2015
I paid my last respect to him when his corpse was brought to LTV for his lying- in- state prog in 2003...He was a kind hearted man.May God have mercy on his gentle soul.

1 Like

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by datbay(m): 10:21am On Apr 30, 2015
Rip great man.....miss you so much
Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by btaliat(m): 11:03am On Apr 30, 2015
Gbenga Adeboye, the funniest man FIBAN has ever produced. I got to knw this man when he died. And I ended up in buying almost 20 of his albums including- London Yabis, Exposure, Discovery, Research, Old Strokes among others. Wale Dada sounded like him, I don't knw why he stopped.

4 Likes

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by juman(m): 11:05am On Apr 30, 2015
Alhaji pastor oluwo baba itu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by juman(m): 11:08am On Apr 30, 2015
btaliat:
Gbenga Adeboye, the funniest man FIBAN has ever produced. I got to knw this man when he died. And I ended up in buying almost 20 of his albums including- London Yabis, Exposure, Discovery, Research, Old Strokes among others. Wale Dada sounded like him, I don't knw why he stopped.

Yeah, I think I remember that name. He talks like him.

Gbenga death was so painful. He used to drink too much he was warned but never stop drinking that caused his death if I remember well.

I used to listen to his program on ogun radio.
Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by btaliat(m): 11:58am On Apr 30, 2015
juman:

Yeah, I think I remember that name. He talks like him.

Gbenga death was so painful. He used to drink too much he was warned but never stop drinking that caused his death if I remember well.

I used to listen to his program on ogun radio.
I don't think so. I knw he drinks bt his death is supernatural..it was once believed that he was killed by Gbenga Adewusi

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by dridowu: 11:58am On Apr 30, 2015
alhaji pastor oluwo
Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by juman(m): 12:52pm On Apr 30, 2015
btaliat:

I don't think so. I knw he drinks bt his death is supernatural..it was once believed that he was killed by Gbenga Adewusi

You are wrong young man.

Gbenga adeboye was sick earlier, he was almost dead but he woke up back and recovered from the sickness. He was warned from drinking but he continued.

Below is the link to the record he did after he recovered from the sickness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=125&v=DAnrMdCZs3Q

1 Like

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by Yossykit: 1:36pm On Apr 30, 2015
juman:

You are wrong young man.

Gbenga adeboye was sick earlier, he was almost dead but he woke up back and recovered from the sickness. He was warned from drinking but he continued.

Below is the link to the record he did after he recovered from the sickness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=125&v=DAnrMdCZs3Q
both of you are correct to some extent. It was rumoured that bayowa(gbenga Adewusi) conspired wit his(Adeboye's) wife to poison him. But doctors confirmed that he died of kidney related ailment.
The fact is that he was sick but the sickness seems to be spiritually backed up. If you listen carefully to his last album 'aye toto' and 'omo majemu' by seun Adeboye, also one other album by late kayode Adeboye his brother, you wil believe that his ailment has spiritual backedup. But im not insinuating that he was killed by his friend or wife o. God knows best.

2 Likes

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by Caracta(f): 2:16pm On Apr 30, 2015
Pinnacle:
Olugbenga, Funwontan, esa ogbin ara ogbojo, omo ase buruku se rere, omo osekatan tese morin.
Jengbetiele
Multitalented
International Outstanding African Comedian and Classical Musician.
Just like yesterday, You are surely missed bro.

RIP

Lol. You have a sound memory. I miss Funwontan. Jengbetiele 1!

RIP Gbenga. Too bad you didn't pass the talent on to somebody else.

1 Like

Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by Lucasbalo(m): 2:35pm On Apr 30, 2015
modelmike7:
Itu baba ita, continue to Rest in Perfect Peace. One of the funniest Nigerians ever liveth . . .
Gbam.
Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by kristen12(f): 3:10pm On Apr 30, 2015
The name rings a bell
Re: In Memory Of Gbenga Adeboye (1959-april 30 2003), Mystery Of Wed In His Life. by Yinkatolu: 6:59pm On Apr 30, 2015
Boda gbenga sun re o

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lady Recreates Davido, Cossy Orjiakor, Rihanna's Look / Nigerians React To Mercy Aigbe Failed Marriage / Skales Walks Out Of Victor Okpala, NET TV Interviewer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.