Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,981 members, 7,863,493 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 06:51 PM

Prepare To Be Offended By Microsoft's Age Guessing App - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Prepare To Be Offended By Microsoft's Age Guessing App (742 Views)

NCC Should Put Etisalat Under Monitor, Prepare To Fine Them Too. / Windows 10 ROM For Android, Revealed By Microsoft / How Old Website By Microsoft Will Guess Your Age And Gender! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prepare To Be Offended By Microsoft's Age Guessing App by Goahead(m): 10:25am On May 01, 2015
All you have to do is upload a photo of yourself (or indeed anyone else) and How-Old.net will not only guess your age but also figure out if you are male or female.

It's all part of the firm showing off its cloud service Azure and one of its APIs at the firm's Microsoft BUILD conference. The website uses Azure's Face APIs to carry out the recognition. It can also group faces to decide if there are multiple images of the same person in the shot.

The upcoming Windows 10 will use facial recognition as an alternative to passwords, so no doubt similar technology is at work here.

At a demonstration at the conference, Microsoft's Joseph Sirosh used the website to determine the age of Mona Lisa; it came back with the answer of 23, which is fairly accurate given what art historians know about that picture.

According to a blog post by a couple of researcher behind How Old, they were only expecting around 50 users to access the service but within a few hours 35,000 users hit the website (and after reading this article, millions more).

Corom Thompson and Santosh Balasubramanian, Engineers in Information Management and Machine Learning at Microsoft expected people to upload stock photos.

“What we found out was that over half the pictures analysed were of people who had uploaded their own images,” the researchers said.

As you can see from the photo below, this writer has tried it out and the results are pretty good (give or take ten years).

Source http://www.appy-geek.com/Web/ArticleWeb.aspx?regionid=3&articleid=41102448&source=whatsapp

Re: Prepare To Be Offended By Microsoft's Age Guessing App by dhardline(m): 10:46am On May 01, 2015
Works fairly ok for plane picture but pictures with filters will probably get older age figures.
Re: Prepare To Be Offended By Microsoft's Age Guessing App by Collinz2(m): 12:20pm On May 01, 2015
I dnt believe in trash.

1 Like

Re: Prepare To Be Offended By Microsoft's Age Guessing App by gustav25: 2:06pm On May 01, 2015
Collinz2:
I dnt believe in trash.
my guy abeg any news for eti payg?
Re: Prepare To Be Offended By Microsoft's Age Guessing App by Collinz2(m): 7:53pm On May 01, 2015
gustav25:
my guy abeg any news for eti payg?
no.

(1) (Reply)

Latest Development From Airtel / Simple Server / Help!!! My Phone Is Frustrating Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.