Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,271 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:08 AM

Things To Do When You Are Overqualified For A Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Things To Do When You Are Overqualified For A Job (508 Views)

Relocating To Lagos? Here Are 13 Things To Note About Job Opportunities In Lagos / Things To Do While Waiting For A Job / 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Things To Do When You Are Overqualified For A Job by Coldplayz2(m): 12:01pm On May 01, 2015
It seems I continually hear this complaint, "They aren't hiring me because I'm overqualified.

So what should you do if you're credentialed with good experience and advanced education, are looking to become re-employed and are even willing to take a lower-level position? Here are a few tips:

Don't Be Tempted to "Dumb Down!"

This strategy moves your career backward. You typically end up frustrated, not hired or worse — you find a new job you can't wait to move out of. Most employers today actually want you working at your highest ability level since productivity is key to everyone's success. They also want to retain you past the many months it takes to train you for the job, so you can begin to make a contribution to the company.

Do Some Soul Searching and Savvy Preparation

Acknowledge that employers are reluctant to hire a person who is overqualified because they think the person is unlikely to be happy, won't stay long, might want the interviewer's job or may expect fast promotion. Remember that you can be threatening to the interviewer, especially if you are truly suited for the interviewer's job! He may think you aren't seriously interested in doing the job for which you're being hired — nor do employers want someone who's burned out or sees the job as an easy paycheck.

Examine why you want the position. "I need a job!" is not a response that will endear you to him. You must use your communication skills to convince him why a demotion is a good option. You must create a ....

Read more http://www.quickjobng.com/2015/05/things-to-do-when-you-are-overqualified-for-a-job

(1) (Reply)

Saudi Advertises For Swordsmen As Execution Rate Soars / Free CV Review With Access To Online Excel Tutorials / Finance & Administration Manager

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.