Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,029 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

Top 10 Things A Web Developer Should Know - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Top 10 Things A Web Developer Should Know (1325 Views)

Web Developers Who Need Front-end Developer Should Hop In. I'm Here To Help. / Which Programming Pdfs Do You Recommend For A Web Developer? / Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Things A Web Developer Should Know by abdul01(m): 6:26pm On May 01, 2015
Since majority of 'programmers' we have in nigeria are web developers and majority program in PHP, i want to list some skills that we need to know and be conversant with, especially if u want to seek a paid job cos these are some of the things u would be asked about:

1. U should know object-oriented PHP and php 5.4 (square-bracket arrays, namespaces, interfaces etc).

2. U should know design patterns (observer, factory, singleton and co) and OOAD/software design principles(SOLID)

3. U should know software testing like unit-testing n co.

4. U should know relational design, entity
relationship and be very good with SQL.

5. U should know how to use PHP built-in server or apache or nginX and install d different components individually instead of using wampserver.

6. U should know about security: SSL, side-jacking, SQL injection, CSRF, etc. Generally u should be familiar with OWASP principles.

7. U should be familiar with Jquery and at least one Javascript framework, e.g backbone(the simplest of d big 3), angular(the most popular and most-hyped) or ember(d best bust most difficult), if u can't then at least be familiar with one JS templating engine like handlebars or UnderscoreJS.

8. U should also be familiar with front and backend debugging, especially with chrome dev tools.

9. U may or should also be familiar with at least one PHP framework (like laravel, codeigniter, symfony and yii)

10. U should or may also be familiar with at least one PHP templating engine(in case u don't want to use a framework) like twig or smarty and also be familiar with using composer to leverage on and use other packages that have been built by other developers

11. U should know how to use git or any other versioning system.

12. U should also be familiar with some other 'jargons' like TDD, BDD, SOLID and co.

You may add others as u feel it's necessary.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Things A Web Developer Should Know by logicalhumour: 7:46am On Sep 21, 2016
Your NO1 really got me tired. I discovered lately Nairaland programmers only reped OOPhp because of it's "intimidating look".

Programmers are forgetting simplicity these days. When writing some kinda projects, you'll discover OOPhp is not worth it!

- When I learn a language, I use it so well that I seldom use a framework

- I agree with NO 6

(1) (Reply)

C++ Tutorial Question Gurus In The House Should Save From Carry Over / Which Programming Language Is Better Java Or C+ / Bad News On Freebitco.in Hack System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.