Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,665 members, 7,816,706 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:45 PM

Does This Make Sense? (igbo) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Does This Make Sense? (igbo) (1716 Views)

What Type Of Nigeria Food Does This Look Like / Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? / IGBO What Does This Name Mean (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by CluelessGuy: 3:41am On May 02, 2015
I'm American, and literally know nothing about Nigeria - or Africa for that matter. I was referred to this site by my Nigerian friend because I am very interested in Nigerian culture. So I asked my Nigerian friend to write me a song in Igbo (Didn't have to rhyme), and he did. He said that it was his take at an old civil war song. My problem is this: he was born and raised in America, but still says that he's from Nigeria, and speaks Igbo almost fluently. Apparently, if you're Nigerian, you're from the village that your forefathers come from, not the place where you were born. I asked him to translate the song for me, but I am skeptical because he was born and raised in America, so I would like if one of you could translate the song for me. I would also like to know that dialect he is using.

Ana m ekene Ose na eme m onye Igbo
Ana m ekene Ose na eme gozi ndi Igbo
Maka na umu Igbo o buna bu nwanne mu
Ani Igbo bu na ani nke ezigbo aku.
Na anyi ekwesili rapu ani a.
Na mgbe m na afu umu Igbo, Aga aju m fa:

One ebe ka unu si? Ani Igbo!
Agaro m a rapu ani Igbo, jee meekwa ozo jebili
Umu Igbo ga adi ndu!

Thanks!
Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by satelliteDISH(m): 4:18am On May 02, 2015
CluelessGuy:
I'm American, and literally know nothing about Nigeria - or Africa for that matter. I was referred to this site by my Nigerian friend because I am very interested in Nigerian culture. So I asked my Nigerian friend to write me a song in Igbo (Didn't have to rhyme), and he did. He said that it was his take at an old civil war song. My problem is this: he was born and raised in America, but still says that he's from Nigeria, and speaks Igbo almost fluently. Apparently, if you're Nigerian, you're from the village that your forefathers come from, not the place where you were born. I asked him to translate the song for me, but I am skeptical because he was born and raised in America, so I would like if one of you could translate the song for me. I would also like to know that dialect he is using.

Umu Igbo ga adi ndu!

Thanks!
What do u intend to achieve with the info if it makes sense or not. my frd stop pucknosing on our sacred culture and tribe.
Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by CluelessGuy: 4:19am On May 02, 2015
satelliteDISH:

What do u intend to achieve with the info if it makes sense or not. my frd stop pucknosing on our sacred culture and tribe.

Is it a crime to learn more about your people? As I said, I'm just interested... I'd just like for somebody to translate that for me.
Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by satelliteDISH(m): 4:25am On May 02, 2015
CluelessGuy:

Is it a crime to learn more about your people? As I said, I'm just interested... I'd just like for somebody to translate that for me.
OK. So how much do u intend to pay for the service?. i can b of help.
Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by Mynd44: 4:37am On May 02, 2015
satelliteDISH:

What is wrong with you?
Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by Phut(f): 4:39am On May 02, 2015
satelliteDISH:

And. Must you charge for everything?

@ clueless guy, I understand most of it, bit will leave the veterans to come translate;

Radoillo
Bigfrancis21
ChinenyeN
Odumchi

1 Like

Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by SuperSuave(m): 4:39am On May 02, 2015
Mynd44:
What is wrong with you?
many things are definitely wrong with him
Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by Phut(f): 4:40am On May 02, 2015
CluelessGuy:

It's not a crime o. Nnoo (welcome)
Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by Phut(f): 4:50am On May 02, 2015
CluelessGuy:

Umu Igbo ga adi ndu!

Thanks!

You know what? I am going to give it a whirl. Here goes;

I am giving thanks to God who made me Igbo
I am giving thanks to God who has blessed the Igbo
Because all Igbo people are my brothers and sisters
Igbo land is a land of great wealth
We are not supposed to leave this land??
When I see Igbo people, I am going to ask them

Where are you from? Igbo land!
I am not going to leave Igbo land, jee mekwa ozo jebili
Igbo people are eternal

5 Likes

Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by Phut(f): 4:50am On May 02, 2015
Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by Phut(f): 4:51am On May 02, 2015
Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by Nobody: 4:53am On May 02, 2015
CluelessGuy:

Umu Igbo ga adi ndu!

Thanks!
Ana m ekene Olisa mere m Onye Igbo - I thank God who made me an Igbo person. Ana m ekene Olisa na-agozi Ndi Igbo - I thank God who blesses the Igbo tribe.
Maka na umu Igbo o buna bu umu nne m - Because all Igbos are my brothers and sisters. Ana Igbo bu ana nke ezigbo aku - Igbo land is land full of good wealth. Anyi ekwesighi I hapu ana a - We are not supposed to leave this land. Mgbe m ga-afu umu Igbo aga m aju ha- When I see Igbos I will ask them: Kedu ebe Unu si bia? Ala Igbo! Where are you from? Igbo land! Agaghi m ahapu ala Igbo ga ebe ozo ga biri - I won't leave Igbo land to go live elsewhere. Umu Igbo ga Adi ndu! -Igbos will live!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by hopeforcharles(m): 5:56am On May 02, 2015
Phut:

Igbo people are eternal
When I finished reading your translation of the words I just felt jelly and all mist eyes, infact I love u phut, this and more reasons why anywhere any time I am proud to be an Igbo man,
@ first I was finding it difficult to understand it but u help, u are one true daughter of the Igbo clan, Igbos are eternal.
Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by Nobody: 6:16am On May 02, 2015
Phut:

Igbo people are eternal

Pretty good translation. I'm familiar with the second part of that song. 'Jee mekwa ozo jebili' or 'jee ani ozo jebili' means 'migrate to another land'

'I am not going to leave Igbo land for another land/country'.

There are a number of strange constructions and usages in that song. I don't know whether this is because the writer was writing in a dialect I'm unfamiliar with, or because the writer does not have fine mastery of the language.

I can't also precisely say which dialect it is, but it is either from somewhere in Anambra (Onitsha-Idemmili area, most likely) or from the Enuani area in Delta.

1 Like

Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by CluelessGuy: 1:06pm On May 02, 2015
Phut:

Igbo people are eternal

Thank you! Yes, he apparently translated correctly. Do you know what dialect this is in?
Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by CluelessGuy: 1:10pm On May 02, 2015
barrnchedo:
Ana m ekene Olisa mere m Onye Igbo - I thank God who made me an Igbo person. Ana m ekene Olisa na-agozi Ndi Igbo - I thank God who blesses the Igbo tribe.
Maka na umu Igbo o buna bu umu nne m - Because all Igbos are my brothers and sisters. Ana Igbo bu ana nke ezigbo aku - Igbo land is land full of good wealth. Anyi ekwesighi I hapu ana a - We are not supposed to leave this land. Mgbe m ga-afu umu Igbo aga m aju ha- When I see Igbos I will ask them: Kedu ebe Unu si bia? Ala Igbo! Where are you from? Igbo land! Agaghi m ahapu ala Igbo ga ebe ozo ga biri - I won't leave Igbo land to go live elsewhere. Umu Igbo ga Adi ndu! -Igbos will live!

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by CluelessGuy: 1:12pm On May 02, 2015
Radoillo:

Pretty good translation. I'm familiar with the second part of that song. 'Jee mekwa ozo jebili' or 'jee ani ozo jebili' means 'migrate to another land'

There are a number of strange constructions and usages in that song. I don't know whether this is because the writer was writing in a dialect I'm unfamiliar with, or because the writer does not have fine mastery of the language.

I can't also precisely say which dialect it is, but it is either from somewhere in Anambra (Onitsha-Idemmili area, most likely) or from the Enuani area in Delta.

It's likely because he was born and raised in America. He tried though. Thank you though, he says that he's from Onitsha.
Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by Phut(f): 5:23pm On May 02, 2015
barrnchedo:

Original post "says" Ose
Ose:Osebuluwa means God. Just like Olisa
Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by Phut(f): 5:30pm On May 02, 2015
Radoillo:

Thanks, Radoillo.
I also think its Anambra because he used "fa"
I love the Anambra dialects like Onicha, ogbaru etc.
I am Ugwuta and find that we have a lot of similarities with them. We also have similarities with Omoku, Egbema and Ndoni as well as people in Delta state .
For example, we have an Umudei village from which the King is always selected/ Same as in Delta
We also have Iyasara
And a village called Ogwuma/ Same exists in Delta
I am all for dialect preservation. It makes for a richer language with a more extensive vocabulary

1 Like

Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by Phut(f): 6:36pm On May 02, 2015
hopeforcharles:

When I finished reading your translation of the words I just felt jelly and all mist eyes, infact I love u phut, this and more reasons why anywhere any time I am proud to be an Igbo man,
@ first I was finding it difficult to understand it but u help, u are one true daughter of the Igbo clan, Igbos are eternal.

Thanks, Hopeforcharles. Luh you too grin
Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by hopeforcharles(m): 7:58pm On May 02, 2015
Phut:

Thanks, Hopeforcharles. Luh you too grin
Lol, agaperize love shey u grab.
Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by Phut(f): 8:29pm On May 02, 2015
hopeforcharles:

Lol, agaperize love shey u grab.

But, of course cheesy
Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by Nobody: 6:40pm On May 07, 2015
CluelessGuy:

Thank you!
Uwc dear.
Re: Does This Make Sense? (igbo) by Nobody: 6:42pm On May 07, 2015
Phut:

Original post "says" Ose
Ose:Osebuluwa means God. Just like Olisa
negative people always criticising other people's hard work.

(1) (Reply)

Obas That Have Ruled Benin Kingdom (1180–date) / Accelerationism / Pronounce This Efik Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.