Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,978 members, 7,855,974 topics. Date: Monday, 10 June 2024 at 12:12 PM

How Often Should I Visit My In-laws - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Often Should I Visit My In-laws (1643 Views)

Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. / What My In-Laws Served Me (photo) / Woman Caught By Her In-laws With Her Husband's Friend In A Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Often Should I Visit My In-laws by pdppower: 8:23am On May 02, 2015
Hello House. I got married about six months ago, and since then till now I have visited my in-laws about two times. We stay in the same locality, I.e in the same town, but they want me to visit them more often. It's not because I should do so for me to give them anything or they giving me something, or that I have any issues with my wife. I am not that an outgoing person and I work Monday to Friday, sometimes even on Saturdays. Please advise me family experts in the House what I should or should not do. Please, mature advice only.
Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws by thorpido(m): 8:33am On May 02, 2015
You just got married so they should let you settle into your marriage.If you stay in the same town,try to see them at least once in three weeks.I think that is good enough.
However,call them weekly.

1 Like

Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws by pdppower: 8:36am On May 02, 2015
Thanks. I do that once in a while.
Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws by socrateez(m): 10:44am On May 02, 2015
Its ok for you to visit them once in a while, and when you do, no discussions about your family.
I assume that its because of love for you as a son in law that they like to see you so often not that they intend to put pressure on you for anything. Probably your wife has been very close to the parents and they're trying to adjust to the fact that she's no longer around.
So long as there's no problem with them, you don't have to worry. You can make some of your visits very brief, no need to sit down just tell them you're just passing through. Gradually, they will adjust.

1 Like

Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws by pdppower: 11:36am On May 02, 2015
socrateez:
Its ok for you to visit them once in a while, and when you do, no discussions about your family.
I assume that its because of love for you as a son in law that they like to see you so often not that they intend to put pressure on you for anything. Probably your wife has been very close to the parents and they're trying to adjust to the fact that she's no longer around.
So long as there's no problem with them, you don't have to worry. You can make some of your visits very brief, no need to sit down just tell them you're just passing through. Gradually, they will adjust.
Thanks. Really appreciate
Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws by adebayour26: 1:56pm On May 02, 2015
Am not teaching u lies but they should try to understand. You can tell them something like, u ar always busy with worl & once in a while u can just check on them.

Because, for a Nigeria setting, if u keep going there too often, one day (unconsciously) they 'll start taking u for granted and that dignity as d reputable son-inlaw begin to deteriorate, simply because ur face is no more becoming new to them.
Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws by Jamean(f): 4:27pm On May 02, 2015
Another inlaw matter sad
Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 02, 2015
For me it's not a big deal, but don't do it too much. Probably once or twice in every 2month, so as to keep the atmosphere friendly. @least an hour isn't bad & moreover, they're not demanding anything from you. My 2cent dough....
Re: How Often Should I Visit My In-laws by Nobody: 6:22pm On May 02, 2015
pdppower:
Hello House. I got married about six months ago, and since then till now I have visited my in-laws about two times. We stay in the same locality, I.e in the same town, but they want me to visit them more often. It's not because I should do so for me to give them anything or they giving me something, or that I have any issues with my wife. I am not that an outgoing person and I work Monday to Friday, sometimes even on Saturdays. Please advise me family experts in the House what I should or should not do. Please, mature advice only.

This is the time for you and your wife to decide what is the norm for you and set boundaries
Don't go dancing to anyone's tune of how much or how often you should do anything because when you set a precedence and don't abide by it later you will be termed a defaulter.
Call them often to say hello,that is in order
Visit them when you can ,Mother's Day,birthday and other festivities should be a good time to visit
You need to be your own man and make your own decisions
They can also visit you if they are dying to see you
Your wife can visit them more frequently,you don't have to accompany her each time she goes and if she is a wise woman she will explain to her parents that schedule doesn't permit you visit as often as you would like to.

Everyone complains they can't reach my hubby on the phone including friends,his folks and mine,it is my duty as his wife to make excuses for him when they reach me.He is a busy man and I give that explanation always,a wife should play that role.Tell your wife to do same if she doesn't know that yet.

(1) (Reply)

(photo)reason Why Some Females Will Forever Remain Single / TEENS CONNECT - Insights For Exceptional Young Minds / Woman Gives Birth To Half Human Being Half Goat (graphic Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.