Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,186 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview (32307 Views)

Dilemma Of A 2.2 Graduate / How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview / Man Was Told To Solve This Moral Dilemma In An Interview. His Answer's Genius. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by hotgunz(m): 12:04pm On May 04, 2015
And wat if my friend can't drive?
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by 46arcadez(m): 12:05pm On May 04, 2015
I got it
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by stag: 12:05pm On May 04, 2015
Lame. I'm not impressed.

As far as I am concerned he failed the question. That's not an answer to the question because there's no such option. He was specifically asked:
"Which ONE would you choose to offer a ride to..?"

He didn't comprehend the question neither does anyone who thinks he's a genius. If they truly wanted someone who would think out of the box, the question could have been open ended and read something like:
"What would you do?"
Then anyone could go ahead with thinking out of the box.

Interviewers be making fools out of job seekers. Goodluck with thinking out of the box undecided

5 Likes

Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by slyboggie(m): 12:06pm On May 04, 2015
What if your friend, doesn't know how to drive ??
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by pak: 12:07pm On May 04, 2015
unyours:
I decide to share this because i believe it will help someone someday.

Whenever we come through ethical dilemma, the chance is that everyone will choose the part that leads to the least harm.
Most times, it's a function of ones ability to think [intelligently] outside the box.

Now here's a moral dilemma meant to be solved by 200 applicants in a job interview. You will be marveled when you see the answer the only successful candidate gave. Many wouldn't have reasoned in that line.

You are driving along in your car on a wild, stormy night. You pass by a bus stop, and you see three people waiting for the bus:

1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.

2. An old friend who once saved your life.

3. The perfect man (or woman) you have been dreaming about.

Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing that there could only be one passenger in your car?

Think before you continue reading.

This is a moral/ethical dilemma that was once actually used as part of a job application.

You could pick up the old lady, because she is going to die, and thus you should save her first; or you could take the old friend because he once saved your life, and this would be the perfect chance to pay him back. However, you may never be able to find your perfect dream lover again.

The candidate who was hired (out of 200 applicants) had no trouble coming up with his answer. I love this. I might actually use it sometime for an interview situation.

He simply answered: “I would give the car keys to my old friend, and let him take the lady to the hospital. I would stay behind and wait for the bus with the woman of my dreams.”

Never forget to “Think Outside of the Box.”
The interview that landed me my job was an interview i got most of what i will call off-point questions like:
Are you married?
What tribe will you like to marry from?
Can you speak Yoruba language?
What's your username on nairaland? (I shock!)

Wish you all goodluck

Reference: Here

This your dilemma is old news na ! Seriously, I heard this riddle on radio in the early 90s !
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Tej45(m): 12:07pm On May 04, 2015
I came across this riddle in a movie when I was young.. bruce willis and mos def..
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by jinxet2000: 12:11pm On May 04, 2015
The best answer is not what the interviewee gave. This is ethic based so you would pick the best answer. first what if your friend does not drive or does not have his/her license? what if the girl or the guy you perceive as your breaking head is not breaking head for you and maybe he/she has a engaged friend. The old woman, is somehow clean, I think she has less what-if, however, she is the one that needs the most help at the moment. others would definitely understand that when you have only one favor and there is an elderly person, he/she takes the favor.
The interview question may as well want to know how you pick priorities in a job with different levels of relevance and risks level.

2 Likes

Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Bigdreams(m): 12:12pm On May 04, 2015
tchidi:
Interesting.

My friend now crashes my car and dies with the old woman, while my dream man turns out to be a façade... angry angry angry

What were they doing out that late when they know say fuel de hard to get? undecided undecided

Hilarious grin grin grin grin grin

Learn how to start Recharge Card Business With Less Than N3,000 - No Softwares, No Special Registration
Click the image below
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Nicepoker(m): 12:13pm On May 04, 2015
What if ur old pal a novice behind the wheels.
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by MKO4ever(m): 12:14pm On May 04, 2015
My opinion:

I think it is bad to demonstrate to your interviewer that you can satisfy everybody, because you cannot.

What I think this question is testing for is your ability to:
1. Recognize crisis
2. Make priorities
3. Make hard and tough business decisions
Therefore, I will simply pick one option instead of trying to please everybody

5 Likes

Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Emodeee: 12:14pm On May 04, 2015
them go lap lah. Ahn ahn, so far say e nor dey d question say dem be yokozuna. All of them go lap.

1 Like

Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by shino62: 12:16pm On May 04, 2015
what if the woman of your dream suddenly gets a ride by someone else immediately your old friend departs with the sick woman. Wouldn't that mean you Will be left stranded in wilderness? no car, no friend and no heart desire.

2 Likes

Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by kayalla(f): 12:16pm On May 04, 2015
3Dee:

I wonder too o. What if the old woman na witch pretending to be sick. As for me o, I'll pick my old friend, a devil you know is better than an angel you don't know.
that was my thought too.
cos the old woman is old and will die any way
the woman of his life can be replaced with any other woman
i will pick my old friend

1 Like

Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by richard870(m): 12:17pm On May 04, 2015
Nonesense! Iwas hoping to get something meaningful, instead a huge disappointment.

Why not call (911) emergency service for the old lady, come down to approach the lady, exchange contacts with her and pick my friend. Abii I no try
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by koladebrainiac(m): 12:19pm On May 04, 2015
unyours:

Whenever we come through ethical dilemma, the chance is that everyone will choose the part that leads to the least harm.
Most times, it's a function of ones ability to think [intelligently] outside the box.

Now here's a moral dilemma meant to be solved by 200 applicants in a job interview. You will be marveled when you see the answer the only successful candidate gave. Many wouldn't have reasoned in that line.

You are driving along in your car on a wild, stormy night. You pass by a bus stop, and you see three people waiting for the bus:

Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing that there could only be one passenger in your car?

Think before you continue reading. thats if your old friend knows how to drive

This is a moral/ethical dilemma that was once actually used as part of a job application.

You could pick up the old lady, because she is going to die, and thus you should save her first; or you could take the old friend because he once saved your life, and this would be the perfect chance to pay him back. However, you may never be able to find your perfect dream lover again.

The candidate who was hired (out of 200 applicants) had no trouble coming up with his answer. I love this. I might actually use it sometime for an interview situation.

He simply answered: “I would give the car keys to my old friend, and let him take the lady to the hospital. I would stay behind and wait for the bus with the woman of my dreams.”

The interview that landed me my job was an interview i got most of what i will call off-point questions like:
Are you married?

Wish you all goodluck

Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Burger01(m): 12:20pm On May 04, 2015
saktoy83:
Buh lets assume d old friend does not know how to drive; what is going to be best option to choose then?
Now, you are really thinking outside the box cheesy
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by adeiza4u(m): 12:21pm On May 04, 2015
unyours:

Are you married?

Wish you all goodluck

Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by oluxhei(m): 12:22pm On May 04, 2015
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by austinesteve(m): 12:23pm On May 04, 2015
tchidi:
Interesting.

My friend now crashes my car and dies with the old woman, while my dream man turns out to be a façade... angry angry angry

What were they doing out that late when they know say fuel de hard to get? undecided undecided

grin grin ...funny u, u just mention fuel scarcity on this topic later some1 will apportion the blame on GEJ
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by frisky2good(m): 12:23pm On May 04, 2015
No part of the question states that the old friend can drive. OK, what if that woman of my own dreams is my old friend's babe do you think he will leave me with her? Lastly, the question is clear. "Which ONE (not ones) will you offer a ride" not WHAT WOULD YOU DO.
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by gowaga68: 12:24pm On May 04, 2015
unyours:

Are you married?

Wish you all goodluck

You cant make old friends... am picking my old friend shekena!
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by ofio2011(m): 12:25pm On May 04, 2015
I fault your answer because what in the world gave you the impression that because you see someone you've dreamed of all your life translates to "YOUR MISSING RIB". Again it say an old woman who seems she was going to die, its not certain. A friend who once saved your life sometime ago. They could all be a syndicate of robbery. I think I would go for safety because its a dark creepy and stormy night. I probably would preserve my life.

Thanks
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by austinesteve(m): 12:26pm On May 04, 2015
MKO4ever:
My opinion:

I think it is bad to demonstrate to your interviewer that you can satisfy everybody, because you cannot.

What I think this question is testing for is your ability to:
1. Recognize crisis
2. Make priorities
3. Make hard and tough business decisions
Therefore, I will simply pick one option instead of trying to please everybody

Gbam!!!! well said
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by MrsAnyanwu(f): 12:26pm On May 04, 2015
Nairalanders no go change, una funny die, OP just gave an advice, una con dey make me laff, una wan kill me BA, una plan no go work, hahhhhhhhhhhhhaaa, funny people
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by haibe(m): 12:29pm On May 04, 2015
saktoy83:
My brother, interview questions are non-rhetorical. If any manager thinks ds kind question is reasoning-oriented, then he is making a big fool of himself. There are lot of options available for yu as far as ds queztion is concerned. It all depends on d situation yu find yurself.

exactly. . I also feel it depends on the person's mindset or passion. The 3 options could suit 3 different people differently
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by queebeediva(f): 12:34pm On May 04, 2015
saktoy83:
Buh lets assume d old friend does not know how to drive; what is going to be best option to choose then?
ooooo I wonder ooo ?
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Sweetlemon(f): 12:34pm On May 04, 2015
I love mentally tasking things like this........ Thanks a million op
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by dublinkmy6: 12:38pm On May 04, 2015
Every decision has an advantage and disadvantage. No matter what answer you give to that question, you can't give a good answer that is straight to the point as there are other variables as per the situation presented in that question. A flawed question shouldn't demand an excellent answer.
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Toks2008(m): 12:51pm On May 04, 2015
What if his friend cant drive?
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by steffans(m): 12:56pm On May 04, 2015
saktoy83:
My brother, interview questions are non-rhetorical. If any manager thinks ds kind question is reasoning-oriented, then he is making a big fool of himself. There are lot of options available for yu as far as ds queztion is concerned. It all depends on d situation yu find yurself.

This is d best comment I have read...
Ideally, I won't pick anyone cuz i don't pick people in my car...
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by kayceeD2(m): 12:57pm On May 04, 2015
unyours:

Now here's a moral dilemma meant to be solved by 200 applicants in a job interview.

You will be marveled when you see the answer the only successful candidate gave. Many wouldn't have reasoned in that line.

Are you married?

Wish you all goodluck

Give car key to my friend to drive the old woman home/hospital but warn him to bring motor or else him go dey stranded if e return d car
Not because of anything oooOooooooOOOOOOOOooOOOoOOOOOO
Make I just use my full time follow my angel talk
While we wait for my friend
Re: A Genius Answer To A Moral/Ethical Dilemma Asked In A Job Interview by Nobody: 1:00pm On May 04, 2015
unyours:

Are you married?

Wish you all goodluck

That was exactly what I thought about. Yaaay am a genius. grin
That would be a perfect opportunity for me to get that lady of my dreams. Imagine me staying behind for her. What other way will I prove I love her. When the wind storm becomes intensive she would wrap her arms around me for shelter and I will console her that we will be leaving soon.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Massive Recruitmen At Federal University Gusau (50 Vacant Positions) / Graduate Trainee Programme - Heirs Holdings / Nnpc Recruitment Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.