Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,454 members, 7,830,252 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding (2574 Views)

How Much Revenue Was Generated From Diversification Under Previous Admins? / See Pics Of Cows & Weapons Recovered From Cattle Rustlers By Troops In Zamfara / Photos; See The Cache Of Deadly Weapons Recovered From Cattle Rustlers In Kano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding by AhmedMustapha(m): 5:11pm On May 03, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

Do the agricultural resources mot belong to the country as well?
I'm just learning o.
They belong to the country
Re: How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding by UnknownT: 5:11pm On May 03, 2015
jascon1:
thank u. then, this is where the government comes in. That's y I said there's no grazeland allocated to these guys. Blame the govt for ghost dispensation of resources and interest in the common man.
These days that land is a big business and most lands are now been developed except the ones for farming, I wonder where the grazing lands will come from unless the fulanis are ready to buy the grazing lands themselves, I haven't seen where government 'dashed' lands to other people to build shops or farm, why would their own be different. Well, we now have an ex herder as president, let's see how much his government will help.

1 Like

Re: How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding by internetpirate: 5:12pm On May 03, 2015
Very correct! The herders are not the only tax evaders! If they don't pay tax, blame government, not them! 85% of profit in the value chain is in the processing and retail components! The herders don't make as much as other industry stakeholders!

AhmedMustapha:

You need to understand that there are several tax evaders in the country and taxes contribute only 7% to Nigeria's GDP that's why government has to work hard to bring as many Nigerians as possible into the tax net. Away from that, these nomadic farmers provide raw materials to industries that are in turn taxed so you can't belittle their contribution to the Nation's revenue
Re: How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding by AhmedMustapha(m): 5:12pm On May 03, 2015
internetpirate:
I agree with you! People underestimate the power of the industry, but it's a goldmine! Having said this, nomadic practices should be jettisoned in favour of modern ways, like the seed sprouter system via hydroponics!

touché
Re: How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding by Sunnybobo3(m): 5:25pm On May 03, 2015
AhmedMustapha:

They belong to the country

So why should Tamuno buy a mudu of beans for 500 naira in Port Harcourt while Yakubu buys the same for 150 naira in Potiskum but both buy fuel at 87 naira per litre?

Isn't that unfair?

1 Like

Re: How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding by jascon1(m): 5:36pm On May 03, 2015
UnknownT:
These days that land is a big business and most lands are now been developed except the ones for farming, I wonder where the grazing lands will come from unless the fulanis are ready to buy the grazing lands themselves, I haven't seen where government 'dashed' lands to other people to build shops or farm, why would their own be different. Well, we now have an ex herder as president, let's see how much his government will help.
this is where we all go wrong as citizens. Lot is not only for urban development. We have the ministry of agriculture that sud care for grazelands. If u build shops n settlements everywhere u will be forced into the forests for food. It is the responsibility of the govt to secure grazelands. Ain't no way nomadic herdsmen can afford lots of that expanse to herd. And, note Nigeria is rich enough to incorporate modern farming practices in our farming systems, but corruption deluded them into oil wells only. Agriculture can truly expand our horizon as a nation. Developed countries get beef from Australia, from Lebanon and other countries that don't have half the grazelands that we have. It didn't come by magic, their govt get involved in that sector and they reap revenues from it. U cant expect a Nomad who inherited cattle from his father to pay u revenues. For what? U need to Chanel ur money right before seeking revenues. I wish Buhari could expand his cast to the nomads n u will be amazed how cheap food could get and how much the size of unemployment will reduce.
Re: How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding by UnknownT: 5:42pm On May 03, 2015
jascon1:
this is where we all go wrong as citizens. Lot is not only for urban development. We have the ministry of agriculture that sud care for grazelands. If u build shops n settlements everywhere u will be forced into the forests for food. It is the responsibility of the govt to secure grazelands. Ain't no way nomadic herdsmen can afford lots of that expanse to herd. And, note Nigeria is rich enough to incorporate modern farming practices in our farming systems, but corruption deluded them into oil wells only. Agriculture can truly expand our horizon as a nation. Developed countries get beef from Australia, from Lebanon and other countries that don't have half the grazelands that we have. It didn't come by magic, their govt get involved in that sector and they reap revenues from it. U cant expect a Nomad who inherited cattle from his father to pay u revenues. For what? U need to Chanel ur money right before seeking revenues. I wish Buhari could expand his cast to the nomads n u will be amazed how cheap food could get and how much the size of unemployment will reduce.
I don't mind them staying in a place to graze their cattle, but will the average fulani person accept to stay one place and give up nomadic life? This is 21st century

2 Likes

Re: How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding by AhmedMustapha(m): 5:50pm On May 03, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

So why should Tamuno buy a mudu of beans for 500 naira in Port Harcourt while Yakubu buys the same for 150 naira in Potiskum but both buy fuel at 87 naira per litre?

Isn't that unfair?
Why should Tamuno buy a bottle of palm oil for 100 naira in port Harcourt and Yakubu buys the same for 200 naira in potiskum
Isn't that unfair?
Re: How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding by jascon1(m): 5:51pm On May 03, 2015
BlackTechnology:

Its a shame that some people still practice nomadic lifestyle grin
anthropologically, it is very beneficial that we still have these nomads. Nomadism Is an educational course that ppl pay thousands of naira to study. Without facts like these nomadians it would be difficult to preserve their cultures. These guys contribute to our economy at large by providing cheaper goods that provide choices for the average man and the poor. At least, because of these nomads u n I can buy meat at a non stipulated price at our local markets, we can eat fresh meat thanks to them. We can study their cultures thanks to them.
Think carefully, many of us are modern nomads. If we can truthfully decide our own cases. Some of us where born in Taraba, but moved to Ekiti to school, from there to Abuja to hunt jobs, from there to Lagos for interviews, and it has gone on for 3 years still no job. Many of us haven't been able to pay rents, we have been squatting from uncle to brother to sister's friend and to friends. So then, what is normadism? They go around with cattle without settlement, we ourselves we go around with our certificates with no address attached to our names. Practically, in the modern world we are nomads. So, if someone comes along and ask how u have been productive for the last 5 years would be happy to answer that questions?
Most of us are of no benefit to our country. We are poor yet not creative, not inventive not useful.
Re: How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding by jascon1(m): 5:53pm On May 03, 2015
UnknownT:
I don't mind them staying in a place to graze their cattle, but will the average fulani person accept to stay one place and give up nomadic life? This is 21st century
anthropologically, it is very beneficial that we still have these nomads. Nomadism Is an educational course that ppl pay thousands of naira to study. Without facts like these nomadians it would be difficult to preserve their cultures. These guys contribute to our economy at large by providing cheaper goods that provide choices for the average man and the poor. At least, because of these nomads u n I can buy meat at a non stipulated price at our local markets, we can eat fresh meat thanks to them. We can study their cultures thanks to them.
Think carefully, many of us are modern nomads. If we can truthfully decide our own cases. Some of us where born in Taraba, but moved to Ekiti to school, from there to Abuja to hunt jobs, from there to Lagos for interviews, and it has gone on for 3 years still no job. Many of us haven't been able to pay rents, we have been squatting from uncle to brother to sister's friend and to friends. So then, what is normadism? They go around with cattle without settlement, we ourselves we go around with our certificates with no address attached to our names. Practically, in the modern world we are nomads. So, if someone comes along and ask how u have been productive for the last 5 years would be happy to answer that questions?
Most of us are of no benefit to our country. We are poor yet not creative, not inventive not useful.
Re: How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding by Sunnybobo3(m): 5:53pm On May 03, 2015
AhmedMustapha:

Why should Tamuno buy a bottle of palm oil for 100 naira in port Harcourt and Yakubu buys the same for 200 naira in potiskum
Isn't that unfair?

That is very unfair.
Re: How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding by AhmedMustapha(m): 5:55pm On May 03, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

That is very unfair.
Thank you
Re: How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding by UnknownT: 5:59pm On May 03, 2015
jascon1:
anthropologically, it is very beneficial that we still have these nomads. Nomadism Is an educational course that ppl pay thousands of naira to study. Without artifacts like these nomadians it would be difficult to preserve their cultures........
Lol, we are all nomads but we don't go about killing the people that accommodate us when we go on job hunting in other states. Whatever will be done to make both the herders and the people they encroach and destroy their farmlands is welcome by me. Later Bro, see you on another thread
Re: How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding by nduchucks: 6:13pm On May 03, 2015
UnknownT:

Who are you to tell cattle rearers, who are making decent and honest living, to give up their way of life, when you are yet to give up your barbaric ways....looting the treasuries, kidnapping, armed robbery, transportation of your goods through the "highways", killing thousands of Nigerians in auto accidents in the process?

In this 21st century you are still doing those barbaric things I mentioned. dolo

1 Like

Re: How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding by AgentOfAllah: 6:27pm On May 03, 2015
tit:
how much revenue does government get from cattle herding?
everyday it is trouble between farmer and herder!
we have to deploy troops and police because of farm destruction and cattle rustling!
what is the profit for government!
is this not a drainpipe to commit so much resources to unprofitable venture?
will nigeria not be better if we ban cattle herders?
think of all the savings from JTF, hospital bills, refugees, NEMA expenses, etc!

ban cattle herders and safe money!

And how do you intend to 'ban' cattle herders, dicTITor?
Re: How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding by tit(f): 8:32pm On May 03, 2015
internetpirate:
I regretfully disagree with you on this! The beef value chain is a multi-billion naira investment! It is expected to get to over one trillion by 2020! The herding of cows constitute part of the primary base of the value chain!

i like the mature way you are responding to my question.
since you know so much about nama,
can you tell us how much of the multi-billion value chain that gets to government to pay for the security and health risks associated with the business.
Enquiring minds want to know.
Re: How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding by UthyWebAppsMan(m): 9:27am On May 06, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

Can you explain to me why someone in Port Harcourt with oil in his backyard buy Fuel at the same price with someone in Birnin Kebbi while the person in Birnin Kebbi buys beef at a fraction of the cost of what the person in PH buys his?

Is that not injustice?

The oil in PH has to be refined (not locally) b4 using as Fuel, reason for d exorbitant prices. Cattle on d other hand is reared n processed locally to get beef.
#VeryObviousReasoning #DoTheMaths
Re: How Much Revenue From Cattle Herding by tit(f): 7:49pm On May 06, 2015
so are we all agreed?
cattle rearing with its attendant loss of lives and property is a loss making venture for the Royal Niger Company (aka Nigeria).
All in favor of spinning off the saniya malu buisness should say "eye"!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rochas Is Buhari's Right Hand Man? / Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President / More Graphic Photos 4rm The Accident That Happened At Iyana-itire Junction Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.