Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,958 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

Ridiculous Car Prices - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Ridiculous Car Prices (5371 Views)

Discover The Best Place To Get The Cheapest Car Prices...even For Dealers / Our Car Prices List @ Www.largemanmotors..com - 08098508092 / Car Prices ?!?! Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ridiculous Car Prices by earTHMama: 1:03am On Feb 05, 2009
I've noticed that some cars have ridiculous low prices in Naija compared to the ones in America. Some like the Toyotas and Hondas have prices so low in Naija that you wonder how they bought it in America, shipped and cleared it and yet sell it that low. Why? Do they steal the cars because something must be wrong somewhere.
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by MrCrackles(m): 1:05am On Feb 05, 2009
To be honest Funmi, you wont be able to get your head round it! grin
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by ziontrain: 1:17am On Feb 05, 2009
@earTHMama,

Wonders will never cease! Welcome to Nigeria!

The reasons for this are not far fetched. These dubious dealers buy what is called "Salvaged Titled" cars in America - this means cars that are damaged and authorities will not allow you to use them in America without substantial repairs e.g. cars that have been flooded, accidented or with serious defects. As no one wants them in the US, they are sold at ridiculously low prices hence the low price in Nigeria. In order to blow their secret open, ask them (the dealers in Nigeria) for the VIN number of the vehicle and come to nairaland and request for someone to get you a report of the vehicle. That report can be obtained with the VIN number and there are nairalanders that offer this service for FREE!

So, in a nutshell, that's the secret my sister. This is why VIN number is mandatory in nairaland and that is also why unscrupulous and dubious dealers on nairaland are fighting tooth and nail to prevent that from happening. God will not allow them to succeed.

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by earTHMama: 1:24am On Feb 05, 2009
To be honest Funmi, you wont be able to get your head round it!
Why?

For Eg: A 2004 Honda accord sells for about 1.7M(about $11K) in Naija and this is with profit oo. Shipping and clearing alone will gulp about $4k leaving you with only $7K. $7k can scarcely get you a good 2004 Honda accord. I am sure they use those cars to transfer money into Nigeria because there is no profit in those deals.
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by earTHMama: 1:33am On Feb 05, 2009
@earTHMama,

The reasons for this are not far fetched. These dubious dealers buy what is called "Salvaged Titled" cars in America - this means cars that are damaged and authorities will not allow you to use them in America without substantial repairs e.g. cars that have been flooded, accidented or with serious defects.
As no one wants them in the US, they are sold at ridiculously low prices hence the low price in Nigeria. In order to blow their secret open, ask them (the dealers in Nigeria) for the VIN number of the vehicle and come to nairaland and request for someone to get you a report of the vehicle. That report can be obtained with the VIN number and there are nairalanders that offer this service for FREE!

So, in a nutshell, that's the secret my sister. This is why VIN number is mandatory in nairaland and that is also why unscrupulous and dubious dealers on nairaland are fighting tooth and nail to prevent that from happening. God will not allow them to succeed.
Some people still drive salvaged cars in the US. It depends on what happened to it. Flooded cars and some accidented cars are still drivable here and they are not that cheap. Remember they are supposed to sell with a very wide profit margin. You cannot get a 2004 flooded Honda here that has been cleaned and flushed ready to drive for about $5k, salvaged or not. Cars take time to sell and i wonder how someone can invest about $10k in a business deal that takes about 6 months to mature only to make a profit in the neighborhood of $1k. Something is seriously wrong.
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by Busybody2(f): 1:59am On Feb 05, 2009
My sister, it is very possible to get cars at ridiculously cheap rates, but I have been told not to talk about it lipsrsealed  Even Brash knows where to get them cheaper than me shocked angry and we are not even talking about salvage cars here cool

I have decided to keep quiet out of deference to them, and also because I appreciate that these guys are trying to make an honest living for themselves, and are not sitting behind the computer at some internet cafe looking for their next lonely ad victim to scam or trying to defraud others by claiming their fathers wealth is stashed somewhere in South Africa smiley

I am also happy you understand the intricacies surrounding salvage cars, and have not allowed yourself to be spoonfed or rail-roaded by some anti-feminist movement who think a woman should/would not know about such wink
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by Busybody2(f): 2:11am On Feb 05, 2009
ziontrain:

@earTHMama,

The reasons for this are not far fetched. These dubious dealers buy what is called "Salvaged Titled" cars in America - this means cars that are damaged and authorities will not allow you to use them in America without substantial repairs e.g. cars that have been flooded, accidented or with serious defects. As no one wants them in the US, they are sold at ridiculously low prices hence the low price in Nigeria. In order to blow their secret open, [size=14pt]ask them (the dealers in Nigeria[/size]) for the VIN number of the vehicle and come to nairaland and request for someone to get you a report of the vehicle. That report can be obtained with the VIN number and there are nairalanders that offer this service for FREE!

Hmmn, we already know where is paining Igwe, now we know where is paining Ziontrain too, but come oh, why did it have to take you guys so many posts to come out with the specifics grin lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Sisijinx, my oga-madam has to see this grin grin grin

Ziontrain, you already claimed numerous times that you don't deal with women, so please don't reply me, abeg I be woman too, I swear grin grin grin
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by ziontrain: 2:52am On Feb 05, 2009
earTHMama,

The cars are not bought at the open market. They are bought at Salvage dealers' auction - not open to the public. Those cars cost next to nothing there. The prices are just unbelievable! That's why they are so cheap in Nigeria and remember, they don't flush or repair those cars before bringing them over.

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by earTHMama: 4:01am On Feb 05, 2009
earTHMama,

The cars are not bought at the open market. They are bought at Salvage dealers' auction - not open to the public. Those cars cost next to nothing there. The prices are just unbelievable! That's why they are so cheap in Nigeria and remember, they don't flush or repair those cars before bringing them over.
I know a lot of people that bid at the auction online. I even wanted to get the license last year. Trust me, the prices are not that cheap. You can get an accidented toyota corolla 2003 for about $4k and after paying the taxes, it may tally with $45oo, then you begin to buy the parts, fix it and pay for labor. My brother, that business is not as profitable as you think. One ibo dude told me he ships his cars to gabon and sells them for a better profit there. Some Naija crooks surely use that car deal thingy to siphon illegal cash into the country.

What of those cars that check out fine here on nairaland, no salvage record yet the prices are ridiculously low?
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by ziontrain: 4:24am On Feb 05, 2009
My sister, I don't know what auction site you go but trust me the prices are ridiculously low for salvaged title cars in the US. Secondly, those cars that you see in Nigeria are not repaired at all so they are really death traps.

I doubt that there are cars that check out on Nairaland with ridiculously low price. If you find one, please let me know maybe I will buy and re-sell.
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by AloyEmeka9: 4:59am On Feb 05, 2009
The more you look, the less you see.
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by Emperoh(m): 9:29am On Feb 05, 2009
Ziontrain
I beg to differ in most of ya inferences
You are making it look like a crime to buy and sell Salvaged Cars. . . .
I am a small dealer and most of my cars, i buy and fix over there depending on the nature of damage and cost
The least i could do i to purchase the necessary Spare parts and ship it alongside the vehicle
Do the major repairs here, repaint and bingo you are selling.

Now how does it make business sense, to buy a clean title vehicle, ship it and clear
Mark up your profit and then sell at a very high price when your neighbour brings in an accidented car
Does the repairs and looks as neat even neater than your clean title vehicle and sell it at a lower price?
As a buyer, which would you prefer?

The secret for me, is buying cars that their air bags are still intact and with a damage that change of parts can solve
Most of our Panel Beating Technicians are also very good that you do find it difficult to differentiate or identify an accidented car.

Fact is this, i make it clearly known to any buyer that the car is accidented. That way, you would have absolved yourself of any fraud
And in the know that should any issue arise, the buyer has an idea of what happened.

E.g
I bought a 2003 VW Passat for my brothers' use, the car hit a tree and damaged the front left bumper, broke the left headlamps and rear windshield.
Engine still very sound and a wonderful mileage too. . ,  Changing the bumper and spoiler with Headlamps and rear windshield sorted this car for me
And cost me next to nothing. Should i display this car for sale, it will sell fast because of the price, which is what i need

So where is the business sense in buying its equivalent but with neat title and above $15k
Where as this cost me including repairs and shipping a little below $10k

My Point
Disclose the nature of your car to the buyer
Those who sell accidented cars are not fraudsters. Concealing the information is what is fraudlent in itself
To me it makes no business sense. Don't know about you.
Salvaged title sites are open to the public. . . . . . .

Lets stop giving a dog a bad name just to hang it.
It pays no one. . . . . If you need a clean titled car, they are still abound. Just pay the price

VIN displaying is still a notion is support any time any day

Matter of fact 60% of cars being sold in Nigeria has one form of accident or salvage title.

Earthmama
Gone are the days when dealers make like 100% profit
These days, every Tom Dick and Harry know who to and how to go about buying cars in US
Every street corner in Lagos has a car with 'For Sale' logo on it
So if your price is higher, someone can give me something lower. . . . .Deregulation according to Economists
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by igwe11(m): 9:37am On Feb 05, 2009
earTHMama:

Some people still drive salvaged cars in the US. It depends on what happened to it. Flooded cars and some accidented cars are still drivable here and they are not that cheap.  Remember they are supposed to sell with a very wide profit margin. You cannot get a 2004 flooded Honda here that has been cleaned and flushed ready to drive for about $5k, salvaged or not. Cars take time to sell and i wonder how someone can invest about $10k in a business deal that takes about 6 months to mature only to make a profit in the neighborhood of $1k. Something is seriously wrong.
The highlighted portion is absolutely right based on the fact you used the term ‘’It depends on what happened to it’’.
To be sincere some people sell some cars cheaper in order to solve emergency problems but can only be found with private sellers not  in a dealer’s shop except when the history behide the car is nothing to write home about.
For you(buyer) to get your facts straight, you should use all the available means to look before leaping.
In order to curb some of these mishaps on nairaland, VIN/chassis no, pictures and the full details of every advertised car are required.
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by igwe11(m): 9:55am On Feb 05, 2009
Emperoh:

Ziontrain
I am a small dealer and most of my cars, i buy and fix over there depending on the nature of damage and cost
The least i could do i to purchase the necessary Spare parts and ship it alongside the vehicle
Do the major repairs here, repaint and bingo you are selling.

Now how does it make business sense, to buy a clean title vehicle, ship it and clear
Mark up your profit and then sell at a very high price when your neighbour brings in an accidented car
Does the repairs and looks as neat even neater than your clean title vehicle and sell it at a lower price?
As a buyer, which would you prefer?

The secret for me, is buying cars that their air bags are still intact and with a damage that change of parts can solve
Most of our Panel Beating Technicians are also very good that you do find it difficult to differentiate or identify an accidented car.

Fact is this, i make it clearly known to any buyer that the car is accidented. That way, you would have absolved yourself of any fraud
And in the know that should any issue arise, the buyer has an idea of what happened.

E.g
I bought a 2003 VW Passat for my brothers' use, the car hit a tree and damaged the front left bumper, broke the left headlamps and rear windshield.
Engine still very sound and a wonderful mileage too. . ,  Changing the bumper and spoiler with Headlamps and rear windshield sorted this car for me
And cost me next to nothing. Should i display this car for sale, it will sell fast because of the price, which is what i need

So where is the business sense in buying its equivalent but with neat title and above $15k
Where as this cost me including repairs and shipping a little below $10k

My Point
Disclose the nature of your car to the buyer
Those who sell accidented cars are not fraudsters. Concealing the information is what is fraudlent in itself
To me it makes no business sense. Don't know about you.
Salvaged title sites are open to the public. . . . . . .

Lets stop giving a dog a bad name just to hang it.
It pays no one. . . . . If you need a clean titled car, they are still abound. Just pay the price

VIN displaying is still a notion is support any time any day

Matter of fact 60% of cars being sold in Nigeria has one form of accident or salvage title.

Earthmama
Gone are the days when dealers make like 100% profit
These days, every Tom privates and Harry know who to and how to go about buying cars in US
Every street corner in Lagos has a car with 'For Sale' logo on it
So if your price is higher, someone can give me something lower. . . . .Deregulation according to Economists

You‘re right my brother, I support VIN disclosure but not ban of salvaged cars which am sure Ziontrain is also supporting.
We all know that salvaged cars are cheaper but needs to be told to the buyer upfront so as to know before hand and do the necessary add and subtract on how to get it to shape or  go for the clean titled one.
Safety is important in everything we do in life, shey you know that?
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by Emperoh(m): 10:17am On Feb 05, 2009
I understand you perfectly Igwe
But i am miffed at the tone of his postings. Making it look like we are all criminals selling Salvaged cars
before anyone sells any of such to you, he has to tell you else, take off

Secondly, it has to be fixed before sales.
One secret is this, unless flooded, no car btw 1998 and now will experience engine wahala
be it salvaged or clean. . . so whats the deal with Salvaged title. . . . . . not like we sell lemon
Like the types that are banned that come in thru Cotonou
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by MrCrackles(m): 10:21am On Feb 05, 2009
Busy_body:

My sister, it is very possible to get cars at ridiculously cheap rates, but I have been told not to talk about it lipsrsealed Even Brash knows where to get them cheaper than me shocked angry and we are not even talking about salvage cars here cool

I have decided to keep quiet out of deference to them, and also because I appreciate that these guys are trying to make an honest living for themselves, and are not sitting behind the computer at some internet cafe looking for their next lonely ad victim to scam or trying to defraud others by claiming their fathers wealth is stashed somewhere in South Africa smiley

I am also happy you understand the intricasies surrounding salvage cars, and have not allowed yourself to be spoonfed or rail-roaded by some anti-feminist movement who think a woman should/would not know about such wink

You are damn right!

The mystery will continue to becloud Funmi, i guess
!! grin
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by igwe11(m): 10:32am On Feb 05, 2009
Emperoh:

I understand you perfectly Igwe
But i am miffed at the tone of his postings. Making it look like we are all criminals selling Salvaged cars
before anyone sells any of such to you, he has to tell you else, take off

Secondly, it has to be fixed before sales.
One secret is this, unless flooded, no car btw 1998 and now will experience engine wahala
be it salvaged or clean. . . so whats the deal with Salvaged title. . . . . . not like we sell lemon
Like the types that are banned that come in thru Cotonou
Your statement about cotonuo cars is like being selfish oooh, we have brothers that bring cars from cotonou and it could be as a result of easy shipping or clearing as naija port isn’t helping matters.
The bottom line is the condition of the car which I’m sure neither naija port nor cotonuo port manufactures cars.
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by Busybody2(f): 10:46am On Feb 05, 2009
igwe 1:

Your statement about cotonuo cars is like being selfish oooh, we have brothers that bring cars from cotonou and it could be as a result of easy shipping or clearing as naija port isn’t helping matters.
The bottom line is the condition of the car which I’m sure neither naija port nor cotonuo port manufactures cars.

Can you really tell me that was what Emperor meant undecided Igwe why do you like being vindictive and devious and like twisting people's words round to suit you undecided Jealousy has eaten you up so much that you have lost your morals and your sense of decency undecided

You flipped Ziontrain's words round despite the fact that the message behind it was clear and concise, but you have just made Emperor out to be the big bad wolf I am sure people are now clear about Ziontrain's stance - He does not want a market for salvaged cars at all on NL, I was right all along, it was never about the VIN cool And the more you try to deflect people from the message in his statements, the more you leave it open to more intense scrutiny undecided

There is enough space for all to trade na, biko, you don't need to resort to cheap tactics, you are bigger than this my brother wink

Ziontrain, you still don't respond to women remember wink
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by Busybody2(f): 10:53am On Feb 05, 2009
MrCrackles:

You are damn right!

The mystery will continue to becloud Funmi, i guess
!! grin

Behave Brash, we are still not allowed to talk about it grin grin grin And we ain't even talking salvage wink
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by igwe11(m): 10:55am On Feb 05, 2009
Busy_body:

Can you really tell me that was what Emperor meant undecided Igwe why do you like being vindictive and devious and like twisting people's words round to suit you undecided Jealousy has eaten you up so much that you have lost your morals and your sense of decency undecided

You flipped Ziontrain's words round despite the fact that the message behind it was clear and concise, but you have just made Emperor out to be the big bad wolf

There is enough space for all to trade na, biko, you don't need to resort to cheap tactics, you are bigger than this my brother wink
Oops!!!  Who let the cat out of bag.grin grin
I know he didn't mean it but you don't have to come after your Purported darling na!
 smiley smiley
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by Busybody2(f): 11:00am On Feb 05, 2009
igwe 1:

Oops!!!  Who let the cat out of bag.grin grin
I know he didn't mean it but you don't have to come after your Purported darling na!
  smiley smiley

Yeah, but Igwe this are your fellow brothers livelihood we are talking about na undecided They need all the support we can accord them, so why can't we just let them be, biko na undecided There is room for all at NL's inn na grin

If I promise to start kneeling down for you and start showing you more respect as my lord and lolo, would you get off their back and give them room to breath cry See I am even on my knees as I am typing this cool Should I get up tongue
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by MrCrackles(m): 11:02am On Feb 05, 2009
Busy_body:

Behave Brash, we are still not allowed to talk about it grin grin grin And we ain't even talking salvage wink

Ok my lips are sealed then!
Salvage ke, mba
! grin cheesy
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by Busybody2(f): 11:05am On Feb 05, 2009
MrCrackles:

Ok my lips are sealed then!
Salvage ke, mba
! grin cheesy

grin grin grin lipsrsealed
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by igwe11(m): 11:26am On Feb 05, 2009
Busy_body:

Yeah, but Igwe this are your fellow brothers livelihood we are talking about na undecided They need all the support we can accord them, so why can't we just let them be, biko na undecided There is room for all at NL's inn na grin

If I promise to start kneeling down for you and start showing you more respect as my lord and lolo, would you get off their back and give them room to breath cry See I am even on my knees as I am typing this cool Should I get up tongue
I would better allow you to continue being on your knees  grin grin grin but for lolo sake you can rise but I'm not gonna promise you that I'll keep adamant to any contradictory/fraudulent car advert as it has to do with life or death. smiley
We are here to do business as well as to get correct information. cool
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by Emperoh(m): 12:10pm On Feb 05, 2009
Bia Igwe. . . . .
I will desecrate your Majesty's royalty if you don't rephrase
I mean't those that bring in or small in Banned cars. . . o gini!!!!??

Gbara ogwu gi nuo ooh!!!
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by igwe11(m): 12:37pm On Feb 05, 2009
Emperoh:

Bia Igwe. . . . .
I will desecrate your Majesty's royalty if you don't rephrase
I mean't those that bring in or small in Banned cars. . . o gini!!!!??

Gbara ogwu gi nuo ooh!!!
I know that Rome was not built in a day but Roman emperoh can be destroyed in a day grin grin grin, just kidding
I'm not after banned cars since all fingers are not equal perhaps we 're talking of sound car not death trap cars.
Though government will soon amend the bill and focus on the history and odometer readings of the cars instead of the year.
If you watch very well,that law has a lots of fallacy in it.
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by Busybody2(f): 12:59pm On Feb 05, 2009
igwe 1:

I know that Rome was not built in a day but Roman emperoh can be destroyed in a day grin grin grin, just kidding
I'm not after banned cars since all fingers are not equal perhaps we 're talking of sound car not death trap cars.
Though government will soon amend the bill and focus on the history and odometer readings of the cars instead of the year.

Ha Igwe, you are too mush cheesy You are so slipperyslick, dem never born the person yet wey go fit corner you grin grin grin
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by Emperoh(m): 1:02pm On Feb 05, 2009
igwe 1:

I smell cat fish in that. . . . . . . its left to know if its edible
But i feel the the Production date issue should stand given the fall in the price of Cars thanks to Salvage Autos
Hence, with Auto loan and Salvage vehcle, you can get a good car, good mileage and also nice deal
Reviewing the age will to me make this country a dumping yard. . . . . . . .So let the age issue stand. odometer reading can also be included

Meanwhile who told you you can destroy Roman Emperoh in a day?
I will attack your Royalty when the time is right for this statement. . . . .

BB,
We have a deal. . . .Igwe must be dethroned tongue tongue
I hope i can have your help. .  . . . as e be say you get the pass key. .
You will be the Lolo - in - Chief grin grin
How about that?
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by ziontrain: 3:00pm On Feb 05, 2009
@Emperoh,

Please stop misquoting me. How many times have I said it here that there is serious market for Salvaged Titled vehicles that have been fixed. Who said it is a crime to buy salvaged titled vehicle? Where did you get that from. Please get your facts right before you start typing.

What we are talking about here is how can some car prices be so ridiculously cheap and I was trying to show the lady how this is possible. You mentioned that you deal in Salvaged Titled vehicle but didn't you say you fix them up before selling? What I was saying is that a lot of those ridiculously cheap cars are not fixed and are death traps. Anything wrong with that analysis? Please get your facts right next time before presenting your long story.
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by Cosjo(m): 3:22pm On Feb 05, 2009
ziontrain, are you a car dealer i have asked you this question time and again, you no answer, i have checked every thread on this forum still nothing, please answer me now before now before i lose my temper angry angry
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by Busybody2(f): 6:01pm On Feb 05, 2009
Emperoh:

I smell cat fish in that. . . . . . . its left to know if its edible
But i feel the the Production date issue should stand given the fall in the price of Cars thanks to Salvage Autos
Hence, with Auto loan and Salvage vehcle, you can get a good car, good mileage and also nice deal
Reviewing the age will to me make this country a dumping yard. . . . . . . .So let the age issue stand. odometer reading can also be included

Meanwhile who told you you can destroy Roman Emperoh in a day?
I will attack your Royalty when the time is right for this statement. . . . .

BB,
We have a deal. . . .Igwe must be dethroned tongue tongue
I hope i can have your help. . . . . as e be say you get the pass key. .
You will be the Lolo - in - Chief grin grin
How about that?

Emperor, I will not accept you talking to my lolo like that angry angry angry but I will accept the title grin grin grin lipsrsealed
Re: Ridiculous Car Prices by Busybody2(f): 6:18pm On Feb 05, 2009
Emperoh:

Ziontrain
I am a small dealer and most of my cars . . .
. . . So if your price is higher, someone can give me something lower. . . . .Deregulation according to Economists

Emperor, we are trying to let peace reign in this section and all you can do is fan the flame of discord angry angry angry tongue You are a[b] small car dealer[/b] who have sold over two cars on NL, but why do you have to rub the big major dealer's nose in it, who is yet to mark his two cars on NL as sold cheesy grin cheesy

Since we are doing a free-for-all/every-man-for-himself-interpretation, according to the Chronicles of Igwe, I am using this medium to implore you to let peace reign,  grin grin grin tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2006 BMW 330xi Manual (fully Loaded) now 1.5m SOLD / 2014 Model Lexus Gx460 Toks Full Option Good Deal / I need Advice On Honda Baby Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.